Hydra as a commuter?

Yes they are the 2.8 Green Guards. No problem with you saving the picture, I’m flattered actually. Hope to get some professional pics of the bike soon.
"Flattered"? You kidding? I was *%^$# stunned by a color contrast. I'd never even visualized. I can taste it.
That machine's scheme's is an 'execution in taste' - where form melds with function and morphs into 'High Performance Art'.
-
Maybe a Go-Pro, do it yourself, you'll certainly be a whiz and 'direct' the images 'your way'.
Any new ideas on titanium frames ?

Fn'F

"Flattered"? You kidding? I was *%^$# stunned by a color contrast. I'd never even visualized. I can taste it.
That machine's scheme's is an 'execution in taste' - where form melds with function and morphs into 'High Performance Art'.
-
Maybe a Go-Pro, do it yourself, you'll certainly be a whiz and 'direct' the images 'your way'.
Any new ideas on titanium frames ?

Fn'F
Wow! Thanks for the compliment! Last thing I want to do to the bike is have the WW decals airbrushed metallic orange to match the rest of the bike.

Yes. Matching. Absolutely!
I'm still stuck on what part's colors will contrast correctly with 'ti grey'. Hadn't perceived orange.
Which rotors are those?
Pedals (7's?) and cranks (?) in orange too. Whew !!!

Thank you !

Fn'F

Yes. Matching. Absolutely!
I'm still stuck on what part's colors will contrast correctly with 'ti grey'. Hadn't perceived orange.
Which rotors are those?
Pedals (7's?) and cranks (?) in orange too. Whew !!!

Thank you !

Fn'F
The rotors and crank arms are Hope, pedals are RaceFace Chester’s. With TI Grey black would looks nice but be understated. If you want something more noticeable I’d go with metallic green or purple.

What's the gearing on most Hydras (cassette and front ring)?
Just wondering how easy it would be to maintain a constant 20mph in a lower power level that would give me at least a 40 mile range. (70-80 cadence)
Presently, on my UC Pro I can easily do 40-50 miles in level 1 and 2, with the power levels set to the max by Pushkar.
I have an 11-42 cassette and a 48t front ring.
Could I get something similar with the Hydra? Yes, I'm still thinking of a 'dual purpose' Hydra. :)

My UC Pro is the Swiss army knife of ebikes, but I'm still not enamored with how it looks. The Hydra, on the other hand, looks awesome.
My Hydra came with a 42t front chainring and 11-51T cassette. I do a fair amount of street riding as well as trail so I don't think I would change from the 42t front. I would probably drop to an 11-50T for better derailleur compatibility, though with the Garbaruk cage and Wolftooth Goat Link I have no issues with the 11-51T on the large gears. I might need to shorten my chain a link or something because when I adjust the B screw to an ideal position for the 11t cog the chain goes slack.

I did a 25 mile ride on Wednesday last week and went from 80% charge to about 10% charge while doing 20-25mph the entire time in 125 to 500 watts assist. I set a 20mph limit on assist levels eco 1-3 (125, 250, and 325 watts) for trail riding, but I might have to bump that up to 28 so I can keep up with my friends with the lower assist levels so I don't drain the battery so fast. The first ride I did with them last fall I barely used 30% of the battery for the same distance. This was on the stock Shwalbe Nobby Nic tires at relatively low pressure, I bumped up the pressure for the second half of the ride and I'm not sure if it helped lol.

Something else that comes to mind is comparing the UC Pro and Hydra for resale value.
If, somewhere down the road, I sell my UC Pro or Hydra I think the Hydra would be an easier sell.
The uniqueness of the UC Pro might make it a hard sell, unless the price was in the bargain basement range.
On the other hand, I would think there would be a demand for a high powered, carbon mountain ebike.

There's a fellow trying to sell his UC Pro on this forum. I wonder if he's had any offers.

Something else that comes to mind is comparing the UC Pro and Hydra for resale value.
If, somewhere down the road, I sell my UC Pro or Hydra I think the Hydra would be an easier sell.
The uniqueness of the UC Pro might make it a hard sell, unless the price was in the bargain basement range.
On the other hand, I would think there would be a demand for a high powered, carbon mountain ebike.

There's a fellow trying to sell his UC Pro on this forum. I wonder if he's had any offers.
Yeah. Titanium comes and goes, but Carbon is forever !

Who dat, you sayin ? Got a thread referral ?

The rotors and crank arms are Hope, pedals are RaceFace Chester’s. With TI Grey black would looks nice but be understated. If you want something more noticeable I’d go with metallic green or purple.
I like your rotors.
Another thing: Cable Management.
It's where the UC has a problem and your Hydra has it nailed so sweet. How did you deal with Magura's 'Y' cut-off cable issues?
I'm thinking Grey Titanium/ Black fasteners w/ Baby Blue accessory theme?
Baby Blue.jpg
Would nearly match my eyes - lol.
I have to try these colors on my present commuter too - being Grey and Black.

The tangled clutter was another major reason I'd said 'no' to an IGH .... now I've given in because of the maintenance free ideal - knowing I can't be stranded 10miles up a beach. At some point, wire, cables and tubes run amok.

Probably 'previous employment PTSD', but I feel anxiety seeing 'spaghetti', tubes/ pipes and/ or unknown wires; etc.

Looking at my bike running 2.35's gives me a perspective w/ your 3.0's.
Your Hydra is a BIG Bike.

I see you have the carbon wheels. Please, would you elaborate on your wheelset builds and give me a little education ?
How do you find the braking power ?
In general - using 'Hydra as a Commuter' - anything you'd do differently ?

Thank you again for the eye candy !

Fn'F

I snagged a set of those RaceFace Chesters in blue.

@Fast n' Furious https://titaniumplanet.com/ has several colorways for Ti bolts. I dropped about 400g from my bike's weight by swapping nearly every steel bolt with a Ti or hollow Ti replacement - depending on whether the bolt could be safely replaced. All the way down to the derailleur clutch axle and brake pad pins. They do indeed have blue. They have the brake line connector kit in stock now too which I think I'm going to order since it was one of the few things I didn't get the opportunity to get... best to measure all your stuff and buy in one go though as it ships from Switzerland. They also have an ebay store which you can buy with dollars if you get hit with unfavorable conversion. BetterBolts is another option for Ti stuff but I made the mistake of getting my rear brake caliper bolts from them (since they have the Ti cup washers I needed) and they are hex key instead of torx - for ease of use I'd like all my bolts to be consistent and use as few different bits as possible. I'm still trying to figure out a lightweight tool kit that's going to work for me for bikepacking. I have all the essentials for complete home service but Looking at something compact and has the essentials in one spot.
1654646392127.png

@Fast n' Furious https://titaniumplanet.com/ has several colorways for Ti bolts. I dropped about 400g from my bike's weight by swapping nearly every steel bolt with a Ti or hollow Ti replacement - depending on whether the bolt could be safely replaced. All the way down to the derailleur clutch axle and brake pad pins. They do indeed have blue. They have the brake line connector kit in stock now too which I think I'm going to order since it was one of the few things I didn't get the opportunity to get... best to measure all your stuff and buy in one go though as it ships from Switzerland. They also have an ebay store which you can buy with dollars if you get hit with unfavorable conversion. BetterBolts is another option for Ti stuff but I made the mistake of getting my rear brake caliper bolts from them (since they have the Ti cup washers I needed) and they are hex key instead of torx - for ease of use I'd like all my bolts to be consistent and use as few different bits as possible. I'm still trying to figure out a lightweight tool kit that's going to work for me for bikepacking. I have all the essentials for complete home service but Looking at something compact and has the essentials in one spot.View attachment 125486
I got some from https://betterbolts.com/ last week, I got some bronze ones for my headset cap and brake calipers. They look really nice and have plenty of color options, but no blue. They ship from the US (LA area).

Since the new UC Pro frames are still in a closed factory somewhere in the far East, and it could be a (long) while until they arrive a Pushkar's shop, I've decided to go with a Hydra.
Pushkar's checking out what he has that's available in a size small. I figure at my height (5'7") and inseam (30.5") the small would be a good fit. Comments anyone?

I guess what pushed me over the decision 'edge' was the unboxing video I just watch of a Hydra, in a beautiful flat green colour.
The video itself was pretty boring, but the bike was beautiful.
Video:

Still in the planning stage, but my goal is to have a mountain bike with some street riding ability, which will mean an all-purpose tire like the Continental eRuban plus or Johnny Watts and some sort of fender setup. I won't need fenders for the summer, but in the fall, winter, and spring it rains A LOT where I live.

Standover height says 690mm/25" for the small so you should be good. I always subtract a little from my inseam for the sake of my boys when trying to figure it all out. I think a nice thing about the Hydra is the top tube meets the seat tube further down so for the same effective seat tube length you have a shorter standover. IMO the best for an all-rounder is to have an extra wheelset ready to go with your street tires already on there. You can mix it up and have a 29 set and a 27.5+ set if you're curious about whether the smaller wheelset will work better on trails for you. I have a 29x2.8" set of Vee Speedsters with a gum wall and they look sweet - but to get the MPC compound and Bombproof casing I had to get the wire bead, and I'm much less comfortable swapping tires like that on a carbon rimset - so I think I may order an alloy beater set for the streets. Miranda's online store is back up and running so you might also want to check out crank arms there, their Delta is super light and comes in a huge variety of lengths, finishes, and Q-factors. I grabbed a 152mm pair so I could spin fast and avoid all risk of pedal strike but just my luck they only clear the Dengfu frame's fatass chainstays by like 1.5mm and I'm not comfortable with that.

I really like the idea of a single ebike (for now) that can do double or triple duty with just a wheelset swap. I'm about to start hunting bike trailers that can handle a decent bit of kit without being too bulky but not quite there yet. Super excited to do ~10 mile one way rides out to some lakes that are otherwise not accessible by vehicle

Be careful where the stand over height is measured.
It should be measured 6" in front of the saddle which is where you will be if you dismount.
Last time I asked, at that location the stand over height will be more like 82.5cm or 32.5"

Be careful where the stand over height is measured.
It should be measured 6" in front of the saddle which is where you will be if you dismount.
Last time I asked, at that location the stand over height will be more like 82.5cm or 32.5"
This was on the small size frame?

32.5", measured 6" in front of the seatpost seems high for a small size frame.
I just measured my UC Pro and it's approximately 32.5" at the same spot on the top tube. On the other hand, my Cannondale Topstone Neo Lefty 3 e-gravel bike is around 30".

I had to give up on the hydra for my wife because of that info.
If you find out something different, let me know :)

Back