Hydra as a commuter?

Installed my SKS rear fender today. This is a well made, sturdy product.

IMG_2825.jpeg

Just got an e from Kindernay:
Dear Kindernay friend
As the year is closing we want to thank you for your support and offer you the opportunity to order Kindernay products and accessories at special conditions.
Use the coupon KINDERNAY20-BLACKFRIDAY and receive 20% on all orders placed online via our web-shop (secured payments with Stripe or Paypal).
This offer is valid until the 27th of November 2022 or until the stock last, so hurry up and don’t miss out on Kindernay’s Black Friday sales.
Maybe ??? Good chance for people wanting to change to a onesie shifter.

That's a crazy great deal! Damn, I just installed GX AXS. hahaha.... just as well, I don't even know where to begin with the specs on that kindernay order page. haha

I can give a 'hands-on' comparison because I'm probably one of only a few WW owners who have both types of shifters on their bikes with the high powered X1 controllers.

The derailleur on my UC Pro works very well.....as long as I don't shift to the smallest cog. I also don't like the huge 'Q' factor needed to be able to use any of the smallest 3 cogs without skipping.
If my UC Pro shifted like F&F's bike and I could have a narrower 'Q' factor I'd be 100% happy with a derailleur setup.

I've put approximately 300km on my Hydra and I'm still not sure I like this shifting setup.
I often wish I had a few more gears and this hub is really not happy shifting under any sort of load. I've found that the smoothest shifting happens with I stop pedalling completely, which is the exact opposite of my three bikes with derailleurs.
I also don't like the amount of force I have to use to shift gears, compared to my other three bikes. An electric shifter like the Archer shifter I had on my e-gravel bike would be a big improvement.

One really important factor, which Cuz V eluded to, is what happens if the unit breaks down/fails.

With a derailleur if I can't fix it my favourite local bike shop probably can, at a reasonable price. If the Kindernay hub fails it would have to be shipped back to WW or all the way back to Kindernay.
Shipping anything in Canada isn't cheap, so there would be considerable cost involved and it would probably take weeks, if not months, to get the repaired hub back.
I was thinking about this when I checked my hub for any leaks this morning. Luckily I couldn't see any leaking. Mind you, I've only ridden the Hydra once since my oil change.

I might change my mind after putting more miles on my Hydra/Kindernay hub, but right now if I had to pick one over the other I'd go with a derailleur setup-probably with a Shimano Linkglide groupset-that has stronger components that more more suitable for an ebike's power.

I can give a 'hands-on' comparison because I'm probably one of only a few WW owners who have both types of shifters on their bikes with the high powered X1 controllers.

The derailleur on my UC Pro works very well.....as long as I don't shift to the smallest cog. I also don't like the huge 'Q' factor needed to be able to use any of the smallest 3 cogs without skipping.
If my UC Pro shifted like F&F's bike and I could have a narrower 'Q' factor I'd be 100% happy with a derailleur setup.

I've put approximately 300km on my Hydra and I'm still not sure I like this shifting setup.
I often wish I had a few more gears and this hub is really not happy shifting under any sort of load. I've found that the smoothest shifting happens with I stop pedalling completely, which is the exact opposite of my three bikes with derailleurs.
I also don't like the amount of force I have to use to shift gears, compared to my other three bikes. An electric shifter like the Archer shifter I had on my e-gravel bike would be a big improvement.

One really important factor, which Cuz V eluded to, is what happens if the unit breaks down/fails.

With a derailleur if I can't fix it my favourite local bike shop probably can, at a reasonable price. If the Kindernay hub fails it would have to be shipped back to WW or all the way back to Kindernay.
Shipping anything in Canada isn't cheap, so there would be considerable cost involved and it would probably take weeks, if not months, to get the repaired hub back.
I was thinking about this when I checked my hub for any leaks this morning. Luckily I couldn't see any leaking. Mind you, I've only ridden the Hydra once since my oil change.

I might change my mind after putting more miles on my Hydra/Kindernay hub, but right now if I had to pick one over the other I'd go with a derailleur setup-probably with a Shimano Linkglide groupset-that has stronger components that more more suitable for an ebike's power.
With the WW high power bikes you need heavy duty components. Like KMC Ebike chain (I’ve yet to snap one), steel free hub body, and Ebike specific cassettes. I also run 9 and 10 speed cassettes as I’ve found you don’t need more gears with the bikes power and getting a decent chain line is easier.

Call me crazy but I’m not sure if Id put a Kindernay on one of these bikes with as much torque as they make. I prefer the cheaper to replace cassette and derailleur setup.
I call you 'wise'.
It's a cool piece of kit, but the 'proprietary (everything)' parts and downtime could be a killer. "Ya, sure, but factory must verify the 'O-ring' is seated; Ya sure. Only we can do that. Ya sure" (I'm like 'oh please !!!'). I'd put Viton 'O' rings in and - good to -54C, invulnerable to anything but caustics or low molecular, pure carbonyls (pretty much anything won't take your skin off or 98% of what will) - spend my cash on bulletproof materials. Ya sure.
Probably terrified of the PRC stealing the design. "Wang-ZippyDragon shift you fast, 47 speeds! You fly dummy !!! Gears made from spent Uranium, fiberglass alloy' !!! Show photo of bike pulling a Prius - backwards (smoking wheels, etc.).
-
I really wanted belt drive tho - you KNOW how tough that would look on my Fat Girl. But requiring an IGH. Another tradeoff.
It's possible WW agrees with you. They catch all the 'go-between' flak for wait-time, etc. They go for the best, cutting edge and provide a product that while the best still, ain't up to 200nm.
Hydra is far more lucrative. No IGH allowed. lol. Buy your own tensioner and go for it 😜!!!
I'd like a KXIV to play with. I'd promise🤞 not to stress her and on-road that's not a problem. 🍰. Skinny me? They say my butt's too wide.
So, fast lane, up and running - I'll face the music later, and things I can fix.

Back