How Important are Disc Brakes for a Heavy Rider?

My 2cents (as a heavy rider for most of my riding career (currently weighting at 240lbs, but been as high as 270lbs), Hydraulic disc brakes will give more stopping compared to any mechanical disc brake. You can get away with mechanics, but it depends on where and how you ride. If I was to go Downhilling, Freeriding and/or XC I would prefer to be on Hydros, because I would stop as fast as possible if need be (mechs are not powerful enough). If I was just city-riding, commuting and/or light trails, mechs might be good enough. If you need the confidence of stopping power, hydros all the way.

As for the maintenance, is not much more then mechs, maybe need to be bleed every 1-2 years, depends on your ride style.

Two other things that effect braking power is rotor size and how many pistons the calipers have. Most mechs only have 1 or 2, while hydros can have up to 4 (depends on your budget and riding style, generally downhill/enduro). 4 pistons hydros, will stop on a dime compared to a 1 piston mech, the average hydro is 2 pistons. As for the rotor size, the larger the rotor the more stopping power, a 6" rotor will have less power compared to a 8" rotor, 7" seem to be the average for most bikes these days (for what I have seen and what I recently got on my 650 eBike).

There must be a reason why most quality ebikes come equipped with either mechanical or hydraulic disk brakes. I suspect it has to do with the extra weight of ebikes and the fact that they tend to be ridden at higher speeds.

I'm 260 and often carry a lot of gear when I ride. The rim brakes on my Trek conventional MTB are adequate but I wouldn't trust them in a panic stop at 20 - 25 mph carrying additional weight. This is the primary reason I decided to buy an ebike instead of converting the Trek.

The hydraulic disk brakes on my Pedego Platinum Interceptor have a very smooth positive feel with no sponginess due to cable stretch. There is no question in my mind that they are superior to the rim brakes on the Trek.

Some caution must be used when replacing a wheel on a bike with hydraulic brakes though. If the brake handle is moved with the wheel off and no disk in place, the pads will close making it difficult to reinstall the wheel. The pads have no spring return like rim brakes. The LBS where I bought the bike provided a shim to place between the pads to prevent this from happening. I carry it in my on board tool kit.

There must be a reason why most quality ebikes come equipped with either mechanical or hydraulic disk brakes. I suspect it has to do with the extra weight of ebikes and the fact that they tend to be ridden at higher speeds.

It is the same reason why it is difficult to find bikes with rigid forks; it is more difficult to sell a bike if it is missing a feature another bike has. Also, Shimano has all but stopped production of linear-pull brakes, except for the least expensive models. Of course manufacturers rarely spec Shimano brakes, but it is an indication of where the market is headed (which is driven by Shimano).

Those riding in coastal areas, or those that have ridden in a coastal area with those long rolling hills (where you might see 30 mph without pedaling!), will very likely appreciate the fact that disc brakes can take the repeated abuse (heat).

I'm not so sure they need to be of the quality that somebody riding down hill through the woods might demand. Yes, the hydraulic are better in many ways, but necessary? Not for my bike.

I only mentioned it, as a heavy myself, its something to think about it. Even on casual rides, I rather have working brakes versus, EHHH So-So working brakes, but thats just me. Plus, I was trying to help answer a fellow rider's questions about Disc-brakes as a heavy rider. Sorry for trying to share some knowledge.

I only mentioned it, as a heavy myself, its something to think about it. Even on casual rides, I rather have working brakes versus, EHHH So-So working brakes, but thats just me. Plus, I was trying to help answer a fellow rider's questions about Disc-brakes as a heavy rider. Sorry for trying to share some knowledge.
Nothing to be sorry about. Some people are more opionated than others, but nothing wrong with a discussion.

Well, that's what I'm trying to understand. Are hydraulic brakes necessary if you are a heavier rider?
Neccessary? Not so much. I find mechanical discs to be adequate, although fiddly and noisy.
In my experience hydraulic disc brakes offer superior modulation, don't require nearly as much maintenance, and are quieter.
Ten years from now mechanical brakes will be a footnote in bicycling history, imho

I own bikes that use drum brakes, rim brakes, mechanical disc brakes, and hydraulic disc brakes. With the exception of drum brakes, the remaining brake systems all do very well in dry conditions. But when your pads get wet from the roads, generally disc brakes will stop much shorter than rim brakes. (You can always get wet/dry compound pads for the rim brakes, but I haven't tried those yet)

As with all brakes, higher quality systems do really make a difference. My Modolo single caliper rim brake required 4 fingers to stop where as my new Shimano 105 dual calipers only require 2 with less effort (both using Jagwire compression less cables). My Tektro Auriga mechanical disc brakes don't stop nearly as well Avid BB7s. My Tektro M290 hydraulics can't hold a candle to my Shimano Deore XT hydraulic when I'm towing my trailer. In dry weather, they all stop very well and with little to no noise (my metal pads on my disc brakes make some noise but doesn't squeal).

As with all systems, if your pads are contaminated with dirt or oil, its going to squeal. A contaminated hydraulic pad won't have the stopping power of a quality dual caliper rim brake. I just came home after riding through some flooded roads and my hydraulic brakes don't stop nearly as well as my other brakes.

If your happy with the stopping power of your brakes, I wouldn't upgrade.

I think the question was, are they necessary for a heavy rider. As a somewhat experienced 320lb rider of a couple of different bikes with mechanical disk brakes, I haven't had the occasion to start dragging my feet yet, so in my opinion would be no, not necessary.

Your opinion was appreciated, but it's not the last word. I was not saying you are wrong, only that I don't agree. That happens in places like this (rather often!). If we all agreed on every point, nobody would learn anything, and this would all make for some pretty boring reading! Feel free to disagree with anything I say. All I would ask is don't get personal about it, and an explanation of the logic in back of your opinion is always appreciated. -Al

Of course we all should have our ow opinion, since we have had our own experience. Mechs can work (never have for me), I have used them in the past and even still have one on the front of my street riding bike (Avid BB7 with a 6" rotor). But comparing both, hydros always the power and braking modulation. Maybe the quality of mechs have gotten better (I was talking the technology I have seen on my personal bikes, from research in the past, on friend's bikes and working as a bike mechanic), but in my book the choice is clear if given one.

But at the end Scarecrow, needs to stop seeing us rant and do some his testing at LBS or on friend's bike and too see the difference for himself.

#hugsallaround #keepriding

While there is no question that disk brakes are superior to the caliper rim variety, the debate over hydraulic disk vs mechanical is a matter of preference & opinion. Both work equally well IMO but there is a distinct difference in feel.

When shopping for an ebike at my local LBS a while back, I had the opportunity to do a side by side test comparison. I stood between two Pedego Interceptor ebikes. One was the Platinum version with hydraulic disk brakes and the other was a standard Interceptor with mechanicals. With my hands on the levers of the front brakes of both bikes, I worked them simultaneously. There was a distinct difference in the feel. The mechanical had a slightly spongy feel where as the hydraulic had a positive stop feeling as the pads touched the disk. The difference was slightly worse with the mechanical rear brake but exactly the same with the hydraulic. I suspect this is due to the longer cable length. I'm 6' 3" and at 260#, I noticed absolutely no difference in braking performance when test riding both ebikes.

Based on this test, IMO, if you're comfortable with the feel of cable actuated caliper / rim brakes, you'll be happy with the improved performance of mechanical disks since the feel is quite similar. In my case, I preferred the positive feel of the hydraulics considering my weight and the higher riding speeds of the ebike.

Obviously, these results may differ with other brands. If the mechanical vs hydraulic issue really concerns you, I suggest you do your own comparison before buying.

While there is no question that disk brakes are superior to the caliper rim variety, the debate over hydraulic disk vs mechanical is a matter of preference & opinion. Both work equally well IMO but there is a distinct difference in feel.

When shopping for an ebike at my local LBS a while back, I had the opportunity to do a side by side test comparison. I stood between two Pedego Interceptor ebikes. One was the Platinum version with hydraulic disk brakes and the other was a standard Interceptor with mechanicals. With my hands on the levers of the front brakes of both bikes, I worked them simultaneously. There was a distinct difference in the feel. The mechanical had a slightly spongy feel where as the hydraulic had a positive stop feeling as the pads touched the disk. The difference was slightly worse with the mechanical rear brake but exactly the same with the hydraulic. I suspect this is due to the longer cable length. I'm 6' 3" and at 260#, I noticed absolutely no difference in braking performance when test riding both ebikes.

Based on this test, IMO, if you're comfortable with the feel of cable actuated caliper / rim brakes, you'll be happy with the improved performance of mechanical disks since the feel is quite similar. In my case, I preferred the positive feel of the hydraulics considering my weight and the higher riding speeds of the ebike.

Obviously, these results may differ with other brands. If the mechanical vs hydraulic issue really concerns you, I suggest you do your own comparison before buying.
This may explain my sense that the hydraulics provide superior response. I'm used to hydraulic brakes from motorcycles, so it may be a drilled-in expectation. I remember a long-ago Honda that had hydraulics up front and mechanical brakes on the rear, and I never liked the feel of the rear brake as well. It wasn't long before all my bikes had hydraulics front and rear, to my great satisfaction.

I have hydraulic brakes on my trad bike (used to be an ebike) and mechanical on my Radcity electric.

The tires are different -- the Kona with the hydraulic brakes has narrow tires and the Radcity doesn't with the stock 2.3 wide Kendas.

That said, I sense very little difference between the two. The level of fussiness with adjustment is about the same, in my opinion. The hydraulic brakes are more trouble-free until they need service. The mechanical brakes are easier to adjust so far.

All that said, I'm not a lightweight, coming in anywhere between 230 lbs and 240 lbs and usually carrying another 20 lbs of clothes and gear.

My disc mechanical brakes are so superior to any rim brakes I've ever had that I have to apply them very carefully. I can't imagine using a full handful. Stopping power to burn.

Disc brakes perform much better than mechanical rim brakes (especially when wet). There are two types of disc brakes offered on ebikes.

Mechanical or hydraulic, you are still using the same type of brake mechanism which is the disc. Hydraulics are more responsive which basically means they require less pull than a cable operated mechanical disc brake.

Mechanical actuated disc brakes are easier to maintain than hydraulics. Your are pulling a cable versus pushing fluid.

A well tuned cable (mechanical) disc break will offer very sufficient braking performance for a heavier rider. With that being said, given the option, I would prefer Hydraulic disc brakes.

Mechanical actuated disc brakes are easier to maintain than hydraulics. Your are pulling a cable versus pushing fluid.

What am I not doing with my hydraulic brakes that everyone seems to be struggling with?

There are 5 bikes - 19 years - of hydraulic braked mtb's in my shed and NONE of them have given me any grief - I've never bled the fluid, never had any leaks, the only adjustments have been for lever reach as I hand the bikes down between my children and occasionally centering the calipers if a pad is dragging. New pads are easy to replace and there is no constant adjustment of stretched cables / fiddling around as cables stretch / pads wear....I'm always happy when my kids grow put of their kids bikes and I can dispose of another cable braked maintenance monster.

I'm about to go on a school excursion with 25 kids on mountain bikes - I'm 100% sure it'll be the cable operated brakes that will be needing maintenance on the trail.

We are incredibly lucky to have such fantastic technology available so relatively cheap.

I *think* I would prefer hydraulic disc brakes, but my Gazelle Arroyo came with hydraulic rim brakes, and I really have had no braking issues with them at all. The braking on the Arroyo is very effective and natural feeling. In fact my brakes are much smoother and quieter than the mechanical disc brakes on my wife's Blix Aveny. We ride mostly on paved dry surfaces, so maybe I will have a different opinion if I ever have to ride in the rain or through water.

Hydraulic Disc brakes would be suggested over time (cables can stretch and corrode over time and become hard to engage) - stainless hardware to ensure the attachment stay firm and stable. Periodic bleeding and maintenance would also probably be recommended.
Having an electrical disconnect could be useful too

Back