Moving Away From Heavy E-Bikes

Just show me your Strava profile.
Indeed, people recording on Strava are more credible because they can prove they have gathered necessary experience.
Tell that to this guy!
They used to call him 50,000 mile a year Freddie!

a bit more here

Last edited:
Tell that to this guy!
They used to call him 50,000 mile a year Freddie!

a bit more here

Yes Marquez but this guy is not an EBR Forum member and I do not think he rides e-bikes :)
I would love having Arnold Schwarzenegger as a Forum member here, as he is indeed an e-biker. I would ask him why he rides Chinese cr*p, and would encourage him to wear the helmet :)

Arnold Schwarzenegger
He does ride electric bikes but was also known as the cigar smoking Hummer Guy. Our former Governor is not really a cyclist, he is more into Harleys. He could be on EBR, using a different name, such as @Armando55, or whatever. I like Acoustic, Acoustic-Electric, & Electric. He is also a moral force in the Republican Party.
1686450334960.jpeg
1686450405058.jpeg
1686450536297.jpeg

He does ride electric bikes but was also known as the cigar smoking Hummer Guy. Our former Governor is not really a cyclist, he is more into Harleys. He could be on EBR, using a different name, such as @Armando55, or whatever. I like Acoustic, Acoustic-Electric, & Electric. He is also a moral force in the Republican Party.
View attachment 155797View attachment 155798View attachment 155799
I've just watched the "Arnold" documentary on Netflix.
He has been shown to ride an e-bike for several times, and he drove a big utility car only once.

I would like to make the custom bikes of the LA stars. For now it is only local. They don't know what they are missing.

I remember my freind and I had bicycles with a banana seats and coaster brakes when we were kids.

We could do wheelies but without a front brake, the only way to do a wheelie on the front wheel was to stick your foot into the front forks and jam the front wheel just enough to get the back wheel off the ground.
We called it a "Rhino".

I only tried that trick once.
Not only do go over the handlebars, but you take the whole bike with you because your foot got stuck in the forks. 😂
as a teen i did the same thing. I was considering installing front brakes on my bmx bike and decided a comparison was needed. I went as fast as i could and locked the rear, noting the distance to stop. Repeated it rubbing my foot on the tire and it got sucked into the fork. I went ass over teakettle and was a walking scab for a while (we wore no safety gear in the 70s). To this day if i am immersed in cold water all the areas I lost skin turn purple . I look like a Rorschach test.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but heavy bikes make the locking process much more difficult.

Often we'll have to re-orient the bicycles around a bike lockup, including having to lift them to get snug enough for u-locks to fit. More often than not this involves me picking up my wife's 60-70 lb rig because the size and awkwardness is too much for her. She's a very fit person, early 30s, etc. It's just a game of millimeters sometimes given the size of our bikes and the massive down tubes that house the batteries. Unless the down tube approaches the size of a traditional bike's tube I would prefer non-integrated batteries. Better looking (subjective), more locking options.

Outside of cargo bikes we're done with 60 lb "full power" e-bikes. "super light" 28-30 lb from here on out!

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but heavy bikes make the locking process much more difficult.

Often we'll have to re-orient the bicycles around a bike lockup, including having to lift them to get snug enough for u-locks to fit. More often than not this involves me picking up my wife's 60-70 lb rig because the size and awkwardness is too much for her. She's a very fit person, early 30s, etc. It's just a game of millimeters sometimes given the size of our bikes and the massive down tubes that house the batteries. Unless the down tube approaches the size of a traditional bike's tube I would prefer non-integrated batteries. Better looking (subjective), more locking options.

Outside of cargo bikes we're done with 60 lb "full power" e-bikes. "super light" 28-30 lb from here on out!

all fair points!

i think we’ll see the market for road going (not MTB) bikes bifurcate. bikes used for utility - commutes, hauling cargo, car replacement - will likely get even heavier, more powerful, more features like integrated lights, automatic transmissions, racks, fenders, suspension, etc, and possibly become registered and able to cruise at 25+ mph.

on the other end, bikes ridden for fun and pleasure (the equivalent of touring, road, cruiser etc bikes from the last few decades) will get lighter and simpler, more like regular bikes, staying in class 1 or something similar that allows them to be used anywhere an unpowered bicycle can be.

there’s definitely a place for both!

This thread has become very pertinent to me since the theft of my 2021 Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0. I have been thinking a lot about what I would really like in a new ebike, and some of the answers have surprised me!
Am I interested in an ebike with a throttle……absolutely NOT! I found that the approach Specialized has chosed to take regarding ebikes is very much in line with what I want. Something that closely mimics riding a conventional bicycle.
Am I interested in a class 3 Pedelec that will zip along with eboost at 45kph? Not really, for me, competing with traffic on arterials is not much fun. Medellin has an amazing system of bike lanes, and 30kph/20mph is more than adequate for me cycling on those bike paths.
Am I interested in active suspension bits, ie suspension fork, suspension seatpost, rear triangle suspension? No, that stuff is foreign to my experience as a bicyclist. If I really wanted suspension plus speed, I would be looking at a emotorcycle.
I find that for me the sweet spot for ebikes is best described by a couple simple acronyms:
“Light is Right“. Colin Chapman
”KISS”. Keep it simple stupid…..Anonymous
and if money were no option, I would have already ordered a Lemond Prolog!

all fair points!

i think we’ll see the market for road going (not MTB) bikes bifurcate. bikes used for utility - commutes, hauling cargo, car replacement - will likely get even heavier, more powerful, more features like integrated lights, automatic transmissions, racks, fenders, suspension, etc, and possibly become registered and able to cruise at 25+ mph.

on the other end, bikes ridden for fun and pleasure (the equivalent of touring, road, cruiser etc bikes from the last few decades) will get lighter and simpler, more like regular bikes, staying in class 1 or something similar that allows them to be used anywhere an unpowered bicycle can be.

there’s definitely a place for both!
Actually Stefan, I dont think there is room for both, as some point the american lust for more speed, more power, and more range pushes the ”bike” right out of ebike, and moves it clearly into emotorcycle.

Back