Moving Away From Heavy E-Bikes

Stefan Mikes

Region
Europe
City
Mazovia, Poland
Have you noticed how many EBR Fora users say they decrease their assistance, pedal long segments on the flat unassisted, or even (shudder!) start riding unpowered bikes again? Trust me: Had I good legs, I would instantly buy a 9 kg gravel bike and gave up e-bikes. The point is, my legs will never improve again; I always must ride with some electrical assistance.

I've looked to my past notes. When the Specialized SL ("superlightweight") e-bikes became available, and especially when the Vado SL was introduced, I thought a low power e-bikes were not for me. I found a note from January 18th 2021 where I wrote "It is not for me. I do not think I would have ever bought one of those!" Only five months later, I bought a Vado SL, and that really changed my perspective. I started noticing the "full power" e-bikes felt overly heavy to me.

There is no doubt I would have never used a low power e-bike in these situations:
  • Extreme climbs and long mountain road trips
  • Very fast rides with my gravel Cycling Club
  • Big rides such as the Imperial Century
  • Any serious commute as the time is money, and you better do not come to work sweated :)
Otherwise, the lightweight e-bike is my first choice, as I can always take it in my hand, carry it downstairs and just ride.

The lightweight e-bike brings me back to the times I was an active healthy cyclist riding a traditional hybrid bicycle; only I ride much faster on my Vado Sl. compared. I do not think I would ever buy a very expensive traditional bike without the knowledge of the modern technology incorporated in my lightweight e-bike (a Centerlock brake rotor? Oh my!); I'm very fond of hydraulic disc brakes, modern drivetrain, thru-axles etc :)

Yes, my Vado SL is not a speed e-bike (unless I turn at least 80% of assistance on and also turn the speed derestrictor on; it costs a lot of the battery charge). The lightweight e-bike is susceptible to headwind, same as an unpowered bike. It is not a great climber either. Still, the feeling of riding a relatively lightweight e-bike is the closest to the traditional bike; such rides give me a good workout and make me stronger.

There is no greater joy than to switch to my full power Vado and zoom at speed almost effortlessly. Why do I have a feeling I'm cheating though? Riding my Vado 6.0 feels too easy!

The last thing: the e-bike weight. Whenever I have to lift my full power e-bike and carry it, I'm about to cry from despair and humiliation. I can lift & carry my low power e-bike with no issue.
While the lightweight e-bike handles so easily in rough terrain, the heavy one is a bone-shaker despite of the suspension...

Now I think of people buying dual-battery, full suspension, very heavy SUV e-bikes. Good for them. I move away from heavy e-bikes whenever I can!
-------------
As everybody has different needs, means (like owning a garage), riding urban vs suburban, gravel, forest, off road, I will welcome you sharing your own experiences!

Last edited:
I also like lightweight bikes that feel like bikes but amplified. I also have an aesthetic for simple bikes that do not look or feel clunky. I do not want any lag. I want perky and intuitive. The handling of lighter bikes is so much better. Lighter bike can use smaller motors and batteries and achieve the same range and speeds in many cases. Here is one example of a step-thru ladies town bike I made with gravel tires for some trails. It will be a rental bike for well-healed tourists and part of a fleet of simple elegant bikes.

Attachments

• C7-9a.JPG
    C7-9a.JPG
    304.5 KB · Views: 300
  • C7-9c.JPG
    C7-9c.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 244
  • C7-9d.JPG
    C7-9d.JPG
    356 KB · Views: 228
  • C7-9g.JPG
    C7-9g.JPG
    373.4 KB · Views: 206
  • C7-9m.JPG
    C7-9m.JPG
    267.8 KB · Views: 272
  • C7-9n.jpg
    C7-9n.jpg
    606 KB · Views: 312
Lighter bike can use smaller motors and batteries and achieve the same range and speeds in many cases.
That's true but with two differences:
  • Either the rider's leg input is greater than it is with the full power e-bike, or
  • The achieved speed is much slower, so the ride takes far longer.

Speaking of light e-bikes, does anyone have any experience with this company? https://www.pedaleasy.ca/ I have been considering their bikes, when it comes time to upgrade.
Avoid. I looked at the specs:
  • No name front hub-drive motor (dangerous)
  • V-brake (dangerous), roller brake (inefficient)
  • "Controller Sinusoidal"? What cr*p are they putting for electronics?
The design is not inspiring the confidence either.

Think why Specialized Vado SL 4.0 EQ costs almost twice in Canada now :) (It is regrettable the Vado SL 4.0 unequipped is not offered in Canada now, and the US site has now a discount to US$3,000 while Vado SL 4.0 EQ is CAD 5,000)....

Last edited:
Have you noticed how many EBR Fora users say they decrease their assistance, pedal long segments on the flat unassisted, or even (shudder!) start riding unpowered bikes again?
I think everyone is different. What works for you might not work for me.

For me, I concluded several things:

1. My personal fitness goals were more achievable with an unpowered bike.
2. A lot of the tours I was making became rather contrived because of the need to keep the batteries charged.
3. A lot of the tours on my bucket list just aren't doable with an e-bike unless I take six or seven batteries.
4. Decent lightweight camping gear weighs about as much as one Bosch power pack and the battery charger, and takes up about the same amount of space.
5. At least in the states, electric bikes are at best a huge hassle on multi-modal trips where you take a train or ride a bus part of the trip.

For me, at least in some situations that makes an acoustic bike a better choice. I'm still using my 2017 Charger but at this point it will be quite a while before I purchase another e-bike.

Anytime they say, Made in Canada, or any other country than the far east, I write them off. The term suggests manufacturing, which I seriously doubt unless they show a factory picture.

2. A lot of the tours I was making became rather contrived because of the need to keep the batteries charged.
3. A lot of the tours on my bucket list just aren't doable with an e-bike unless I take six or seven batteries.
4. Decent lightweight camping gear weighs about as much as one Bosch power pack and the battery charger, and takes up about the same amount of space.
5. At least in the states, electric bikes are at best a huge hassle on multi-modal trips where you take a train or ride a bus part of the trip.
I absolutely understand your needs!

I could probably use a lightweight e bike but the expense prevents me from doing so, the prices are just ridiculous! My current bike serves all my purposes, its not a heavyweight by any means so it is just perfect for me and my needs! I can easily turn it upside down to fix punctures which is a big plus! I have a Giant hybrid which is collecting dust in my attic, its there if I have a problem with my e bike and I'm still capable of riding it around 50 miles or so but with the climbs and winds around here it would only get used sparingly...the e bike is just too much fun and still keeps me very fit! 👍

I could probably use a lightweight e bike but the expense prevents me from doing so, the prices are just ridiculous!
No, you couldn't :)
  • Not capable to handle Scottish headwinds
  • Not capable to handle Scottish hills
  • Not capable to do Imperial Centuries of yours Rab unless multiple Range Extenders were used (expense!)
:)

No, you couldn't :)
  • Not capable to handle Scottish headwinds
  • Not capable to handle Scottish hills
  • Not capable to do Imperial Centuries of yours Rab unless multiple Range Extenders were used (expense!)
:)
Do you remember my 162 mile ride last year? I got 83 miles from my first battery and I was carrying another 2 so I could easily do an imperial century on a lightweight e bike, winds would be a factor of course but anything below 20mph I could manage it no problem!

Do you remember my 162 mile ride last year?
It is present in my nightmares until this day! :D

Well Rab, are you aware the low power e-bike would require the double of your effort to achieve the same? (Measured, and I have hard data about it!)

Avoid. I looked at the specs:
  • No name front hub-drive motor (dangerous)
  • V-brake (dangerous), roller brake (inefficient)
  • "Controller Sinusoidal"? What cr*p are they putting for electronics?
The design is not inspiring the confidence either.

Think why Specialized Vado SL 4.0 EQ costs almost twice in Canada now :) (It is regrettable the Vado SL 4.0 unequipped is not offered in Canada now, and the US site has now a discount to US$3,000 while Vado SL 4.0 EQ is CAD 5,000)....
If you knew anything about bikes you'd know component choices for this city ebike's intended use are perfectly fine for job.

I think everyone is different. What works for you might not work for me.

For me, I concluded several things:

For me, at least in some situations that makes an acoustic bike a better choice. I'm still using my 2017 Charger but at this point it will be quite a while before I purchase another e-bike.
Ironically, my lightweight SS e-bike (33 lbs before accessories) has helped me improve my fitness to the point that I could get an analog SS bike (17.5 lbs before accessories), and now I have my “dream” two bike combo.

Two other bikes (geared e-bikes) sitting and gathering dust, the SS bikes are just that much fun :)

Ironically, my lightweight SS e-bike (33 lbs before accessories) has helped me improve my fitness to the point that I could get an analog SS bike (17.5 lbs before accessories), and now I have my “dream” two bike combo.

Two other bikes (geared e-bikes) sitting and gathering dust, the SS bikes are just that much fun :)
You are a model example of what I tried to describe in the first sentences of the OP :) Mr. Coffee as well.

It is present in my nightmares until this day! :D

Well Rab, are you aware the low power e-bike would require the double of your effort to achieve the same? (Measured, and I have hard data about it!)
I think you underestimate me, Stefan! I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one, you said "No, you couldn't" I know I could, in fact if I still had my last road bike I'm pretty sure I could do 100 miles on it given the fitness I have gained with my e bike, conditions would play a part of course but I know I could do it!

Back