How do you pronounce "Eco"?

Mass Deduction

A lot of e-bike systems have a low-power mode called "Eco". I'm curious how you pronounce it, and where in the world you live. I've heard two pronunciations:

- something like 'eek-oh'
- something similar to 'eck-oh'

Personally, I'm team 'eek-oh', and I live in British Columbia. :)

Last edited:
Like in "economic". How do you pronounce "eco-nomic"?
I even wouldn't try to explain how we Poles pronounce "eko" because English misses our version of "e", and I am good in Indian Pale Ale but not in International Phonetic Alphabet :)
P.S. OK, we say that [ɛ-kɔ].

Last edited:
I say Eek-oh. Although "economic" is commonly pronounced with either a short "e" or a long "e", economy is usually pronounced with a long "e" as in Eco stands for economy mode.

Long e "eek-oh" when it's related to ecology, short e "ek-oh" when related to economics.

I pronounce Newfoundland "NEW-fin-lin", like my Newfie parents, though I was born in Toronto, which means I pronounce it Tore-ON-oh (or kinda slurred into TRON-oh), but NEVER Tore-ON-Toe.

:)

Tore-on-toe, faux-toe below. No one in San Francisco calls it Frisco. That is an easy way to spot a tourist. But I digress. Nice trails on Angle Island though.
1616188341954.png
1616188604758.png

Oh you Canadians talk funny anyway, like what is this all aboot ;) Living just 20 miles south of the 49th I have many opportunities to ridicule the way my friends from BC and the Yukon pronounce some words...and of course they liberally return the compliment...all in good fun.

I pronounce it just like the word "echo" It is spelled with one E not two.

Last edited:
Back