User Review BMC Roadmachine 01 AMP X TWO USA

Russ82nd

Region
USA
City
Hickory, NC
After having two separate BMC Roadmachine AMP Two bikes that both had Mahle X20 system failures that were not resolved, I upgraded to the BMC Roadmachine 01 AMP X TWO USA last Thursday. My first ride was this last Saturday and 23 miles into the ride, the TQ-HPR50 system died with 97% battery life remaining! No display, integrated taillight or BT connectivity and I wasn't engaging the assist yet. I was surprised at the 3% battery usage in 23 miles with only the intergrated tail light and BT on. After the ride, I plugged the charger back in and still no display or response from the bike. But, even though the rear light was not lit, it got very hot!! I suspect the tail light unit shorted it. I believe that is a BMC component and not a TQ one.

Aside for the system failure, I do want to keep this bike as the fit, comfort and wider tyre capabilities are what I am looking for compared to the BMC Roadmachine AMP TWO.
I'll updater this thread once I hear back from the bike shop with the resolution.

UPDATED: July 12 2023
TQ support quickly sent a replacement display unit and noted that if the issue continued, they'd also ship a battery unit. The original issue hasn't returned after replacing the display. I also asked the LBS to remove the integrated rear light at the same time. I am convinced the issue was that rear light shorted.
My comparison of the battery life and power are between my original BMC Roadmachine AMP Two and this new BMC Roadmachine 01 AMP X.
Also note that my personal reason for the pedal assist was due to recent AFib and the need to keep my HR lower. So, I often only engage the assist when my HR gets near 170 bmp or higher.

Battery Life:
The battery life does appear to be shorter on the AMP X. But, I'm learning to manage it better. I mostly use the Eco mode when needing any assist. I'm not able to reduce the Max Power and Assist levels as low as I'd like. Have look at the attached screen shots from the motor levels from the TQ app. You'll also see an attached screen shot from my Garmin Connect app. I used 14% battery for that 45 mile ride with 2533 feet Ascent and average 15 mph speed. My personal weight is 191 lbs. Hope that gives a sense of battery usage, which is such an individual thing. It's impossible to say how many miles\km one will get from any system. I feel pretty confident that with the type of riding I do, I can easily get 100 miles or more from my battery before needing a recharge.

Power:
I feel this TQ-HPR50 system has more power than the Mahle X20, is definitely quieter (really difficult to hear the motor) and is a class 3, which can assist up to 28 mph here in the US. The screen shots of my current settings are not all the defaults. I reduced the Eco as low as I can and also reduced the Mid level. When using the mid level at my current settings, It feels similar to the highest assist setting in the Mahle X20. When testing the High level, it's way more power than I feel I'll ever need. But, it's nice to know it's there.

Display\Control options:
There are many display screens available. The app shows 10. I have 5 configured and don't really need them all as my Garmin Edge 530 displays most of the needed info. The one screen I really like on the bikes display is the watts comparison. On that one screen, it's display my own wattage\power output and also shows what the assist is outputting. In my current Eco mode, I could be outputting 245 watts and the assist will show 30 additional watts at most in a split screen display.
My dislike with the display\control on the BMC is that when you go to the first level assist you can't just go back to no assist. I have to press the button 5 more times to disengage the assist. From the level 1, then to level 2, then level 3 then back to level 2 to level 1 then to no assist. I've asked my LBS to see if they can get the TREK option where they have the two seperate thumb buttons mounted on the bikes hoods area. I suspect they can and it would plug directly into the display\controller where the BMC integrated rear light was plugged in.

The redshift stem is a really nice feature on rough roads. Being the bike currently is a 1x12, I do miss the gear ratio of a 2x12 but am adjusting to it. I do wish I had a lower climbing gear option. The front ring is a 44 t as is the largest rear cog. On steep climbs, I do have to engage the assist where I wouldn't if I had an additional larger rear cog or smaller front ring. I am aware that BMC will be offering an option to make the front rings a 2X. there is already an existing mount available on the bike for a front derailleur.

With the Mahle X20 system, we could update our firmware ourselves, TQ does NOT allow that!! To even see what firmware level you have, one has to bring the bike to the LBS and they intern need to use a TQ service dongle. That is also the only way currently to update the system. AND, at the moment, there's no service dongles in stock. UGH!
Hope this short review helps others!

Russ

Attachments

• 20230712_105120.jpeg
    20230712_105120.jpeg
    512.5 KB · Views: 231
  • Screenshot_20230712_104811_TQ E-Bike.jpeg
    Screenshot_20230712_104811_TQ E-Bike.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 196
  • Screenshot_20230712_104808_TQ E-Bike.jpeg
    Screenshot_20230712_104808_TQ E-Bike.jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 180
  • Screenshot_20230712_104759_TQ E-Bike.jpeg
    Screenshot_20230712_104759_TQ E-Bike.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 186
  • Screenshot_20230712_104755_TQ E-Bike.jpeg
    Screenshot_20230712_104755_TQ E-Bike.jpeg
    89.8 KB · Views: 166
  • Screenshot_20230712_104752_TQ E-Bike.jpeg
    Screenshot_20230712_104752_TQ E-Bike.jpeg
    90.2 KB · Views: 178
  • Screenshot_20230712_104746_TQ E-Bike.jpeg
    Screenshot_20230712_104746_TQ E-Bike.jpeg
    86.8 KB · Views: 173
  • 20230711_130908.jpeg
    20230711_130908.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 203
  • Screenshot_20230712_111132_Connect.jpeg
    Screenshot_20230712_111132_Connect.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Gorgeous bike! Good luck keeping that other electrical problem — the atrial fibrillation — in check.

To the OP, maybe you're not a good candidate but I had paroxysmal afib and didn't realize how much it was affecting me until I had catheter ablation (pulmonary vein and posterior wall isolation). Huge difference. For some reason my primary care (family physician) wouldn't refer me to a cardiologist until I insisted - the cardiologist offered anti arrhythmic drugs which I declined (I was on on rate control beta blocker) but was entirely open to ablation and it was a life changer for me, YMMV.

To the OP, maybe you're not a good candidate but I had paroxysmal afib and didn't realize how much it was affecting me until I had catheter ablation (pulmonary vein and posterior wall isolation). Huge difference. For some reason my primary care (family physician) wouldn't refer me to a cardiologist until I insisted - the cardiologist offered anti arrhythmic drugs which I declined (I was on on rate control beta blocker) but was entirely open to ablation and it was a life changer for me, YMMV.
I do follow up with a cardiologist every 6 months. So far, no reoccurrence.Tests showed I had an enlarged left Atrium and was told at my age I had been doing too much high HR endurance rides. I was also directed to read the book titled "Haywire Heart" It was an interesting read. If it does reoccur , the next step is an ablation.
Russ

After having two separate BMC Roadmachine AMP Two bikes that both had Mahle X20 system failures that were not resolved, I upgraded to the BMC Roadmachine 01 AMP X TWO USA last Thursday. My first ride was this last Saturday and 23 miles into the ride, the TQ-HPR50 system died with 97% battery life remaining! No display, integrated taillight or BT connectivity and I wasn't engaging the assist yet. I was surprised at the 3% battery usage in 23 miles with only the intergrated tail light and BT on. After the ride, I plugged the charger back in and still no display or response from the bike. But, even though the rear light was not lit, it got very hot!! I suspect the tail light unit shorted it. I believe that is a BMC component and not a TQ one.

Aside for the system failure, I do want to keep this bike as the fit, comfort and wider tyre capabilities are what I am looking for compared to the BMC Roadmachine AMP TWO.
I'll updater this thread once I hear back from the bike shop with the resolution.

TQ support quickly sent a replacement display unit and noted that if the issue continued, they'd also ship a battery unit. The original issue hasn't returned after replacing the display. I also asked the LBS to remove the integrated rear light at the same time. I am convinced the issue was that rear light shorted.
My comparison of the battery life and power are between my original BMC Roadmachine AMP Two and this new BMC Roadmachine 01 AMP X.
Also note that my personal reason for the pedal assist was due to recent AFib and the need to keep my HR lower. So, I often only engage the assist when my HR gets near 170 bmp or higher.

Battery Life:
The battery life does appear to be shorter on the AMP X. But, I'm learning to manage it better. I mostly use the Eco mode when needing any assist. I'm not able to reduce the Max Power and Assist levels as low as I'd like. Have look at the attached screen shots from the motor levels from the TQ app. You'll also see an attached screen shot from my Garmin Connect app. I used 14% battery for that 45 mile ride with 2533 feet Ascent and average 15 mph speed. My personal weight is 191 lbs. Hope that gives a sense of battery usage, which is such an individual thing. It's impossible to say how many miles\km one will get from any system. I feel pretty confident that with the type of riding I do, I can easily get 100 miles or more from my battery before needing a recharge.

Power:
I feel this TQ-HPR50 system has more power than the Mahle X20, is definitely quieter (really difficult to hear the motor) and is a class 3, which can assist up to 28 mph here in the US. The screen shots of my current settings are not all the defaults. I reduced the Eco as low as I can and also reduced the Mid level. When using the mid level at my current settings, It feels similar to the highest assist setting in the Mahle X20. When testing the High level, it's way more power than I feel I'll ever need. But, it's nice to know it's there.

Display\Control options:
There are many display screens available. The app shows 10. I have 5 configured and don't really need them all as my Garmin Edge 530 displays most of the needed info. The one screen I really like on the bikes display is the watts comparison. On that one screen, it's display my own wattage\power output and also shows what the assist is outputting. In my current Eco mode, I could be outputting 245 watts and the assist will show 30 additional watts at most in a split screen display.
My dislike with the display\control on the BMC is that when you go to the first level assist you can't just go back to no assist. I have to press the button 5 more times to disengage the assist. From the level 1, then to level 2, then level 3 then back to level 2 to level 1 then to no assist. I've asked my LBS to see if they can get the TREK option where they have the two seperate thumb buttons mounted on the bikes hoods area. I suspect they can and it would plug directly into the display\controller where the BMC integrated rear light was plugged in.

The redshift stem is a really nice feature on rough roads. Being the bike currently is a 1x12, I do miss the gear ratio of a 2x12 but am adjusting to it. I do wish I had a lower climbing gear option. The front ring is a 44 t as is the largest rear cog. On steep climbs, I do have to engage the assist where I wouldn't if I had an additional larger rear cog or smaller front ring. I am aware that BMC will be offering an option to make the front rings a 2X. there is already an existing mount available on the bike for a front derailleur.

With the Mahle X20 system, we could update our firmware ourselves, TQ does NOT allow that!! To even see what firmware level you have, one has to bring the bike to the LBS and they intern need to use a TQ service dongle. That is also the only way currently to update the system. AND, at the moment, there's no service dongles in stock. UGH!

Russ

Battery Life:

Power:

Display\Control options:

Russ
@Russ82nd ,thank for Your detailed report and photos which I read with quite a lot of interest.I'm a owner for a BMC Roadmachine Amp 01 with Mahle X20 ,already made more than 6000 km [3800 mls abt] mainly on steep climbs as I'm leaving in the North of Italy close to the Swiss border in the Alps.Last week, eg, I was climbing to the Passo dell'Agnello [ 2.740mt] for 33km ascent and 8.5% sloope gradient average,for 1.850 mt positive elevation gain.
I'm 1.78 mt tall for 75kgs and the battery consumption [ 350 watt/h] has been abt 70%....
Globally I'm quite happy with but I noticed the TQ50 is less noisy, more gently, with more torque and the AmpX could offer more flexibility for the off-road/ gravel.
I'm looking for a test-bike, either BMC or Trek, to have a direct feeling but I got already a quite positive impression reading Your test.Enjoy Your ride,rgds
reading

Back