How do you get onto your high-step mid-motor e-bikes?

Short rider, big bike.
He obviously hasn’t read the warning of activated motor support when straddling the bike.

Oh, c'mon @PaD ;) The motorbike wouldn't move before he used the throttle.

When I used to ride my last acoustic bike (regular diamond frame, a little bit too tall for me), I had my left pedal at 6 o'clock and my left foot put onto it, both hands on handlebars, I was giving the bike momentum by paddling the right foot then I threw my right leg over the carrier and the saddle and off I was. I guess that wouldn't activate the motor before the pedalling started.

I cannot duplicate this technique nowadays though.

Last edited:
have you ever tried to lift your leg up to table ht and set it on the table > Then stand that way for 60 seconds . Then switch sides ? Works wonders : I'm 64
Thank you very much @Rick53 for the exercise. Does miracles!
1582113262145.png

Last edited:
I'm 67 and do it the same way I always have. Throw my leg over and go. I also keep the saddle at a height where my legs have little bend at the knees.

As far as I can understand, installing the dropper seat post requires setting up yet another cable and finding space on the handlebars for the lever, true? It looks it is hard to do it for an inexperienced user. Leave the work to be done by the LBS?

Installing a dropper seat post isn't that difficult if you have tools and some basic mechanical skill. If not, the LBS can certainly do it for you. A dropper definitely aids the mounting process but it would replace my Kinekt and Thudbuster seat posts which for me is a deal breaker.

There are a couple of combination dropper / suspension posts out there but they use a simple un-dampened spring which doesn't provide quality suspension.

I'm lucky to have long legs and at almost 62 I still have full movement (I have a very active job that keeps me fit) so I'm still able to just step over the top tube with ease, I know the day will come when that won't be the case so I will remember all the great advice given here :)

As far as I can understand, installing the dropper seat post requires setting up yet another cable and finding space on the handlebars for the lever, true? It looks it is hard to do it for an inexperienced user. Leave the work to be done by the LBS?

You can get one for under $140 at Amazon. This is an externally routed cable. Install is pretty simple: mount the post, run the cable along the frame to the handlebars, find a spot for the remote, attach and cut cable. If you're handy it won't be hard, but going to an LBS if you're concerned should not be a problem at all - they'll get it done in under 15 minutes, especially with the external cable.

Of course, if your frame has internal routing capabilities, you can end up with a cleaner install, although it'll take more time to fish the cable through.

One other thing is that I know of only one dropper post that also has suspension (see https://www.pnwcomponents.com/products/coast-suspension-dropper-post-external ), otherwise, you may need to decide between those functions.

One other thing is that I know of only one dropper post that also has suspension
Useful information, thank you. Regarding the suspended dropper seat-post, I don't need the suspension in my Vado really. The dropper post will come next after the spare battery for my Vado!
(Between us, padded shorts or bibs do miracles...)

Oh, c'mon @PaD ;) The motorbike wouldn't move before he used the throttle.

When I used to ride my last acoustic bike (regular diamond frame, a little bit too tall for me), I had my left pedal at 6 o'clock and my left foot put onto it, both hands on handlebars, I was giving the bike momentum by paddling the right foot then I threw my right leg over the carrier and the saddle and off I was. I guess that wouldn't activate the motor before the pedalling started.

I cannot duplicate this technique nowadays though.
I WANT THE SLIPPERS!

On my Delight, I use a PNW Coast Suspension Dropper Post. In addition to the drop it has a 40 mm tunable air suspension to cushion your ride. You can get 100 or 200 mm of drop, different diameter posts, interior or exterior cable routing.

I am now in the habit of always dropping the saddle down 120mm at every stop. If I am getting off the bike, having the saddle that much lower makes it way easier to dismount and mount back up as well. If I am at a stop light or stop sign, I am able to remain in the saddle with both feet flat on the ground while waiting for the light.

Upon moving along, I simple post up on the pedal and pop the saddle up to meet my tush.

Unluckily, that one is not made in 30.9 mm diameter.

It is a tempting option. What lever do you use? Mind sharing a photo how the lever is mounted on your handlebars? I guess the Puget 2x might fit on my handlebars.
I use the Wolf Tooth Shimano IS 2 lever. It is mounted by slipping it under the brake lever clamp, made to work with Shimano brakes. They have several other mounts. It is exceptionally smooth and durable as it uses a bearing.

I spoke with my LBS @Alaskan. The guy told me I better ordered the seat post with the external cable. He thinks meddling inside Vado wouldn't be very smart.

Last edited:
I have some arthritis in my hips but can still throw a leg over my tall ebike. That is until I put on a rear rack bag or milk crate. Then I either do a cyclocross mount, left leg on pedal and push off with right and over the top or just put my right foot over the bar in front of the saddle. I have a powerful mid drive with a torque sensor but it has a brake/power disconnect so it doesn't matter if I put all my weight on the pedal in 9 o'clock position as long as I squeeze a brake lever. If I was on PAS Sport 5 and did it without sqeezing the brake it will throw me...and I know that because I did the experiment on soft snow.

I like to do the rolling start... easy to mount and dismount the bike with your left foot on the left pedal in the down position, then just push off and swing the right leg over.

Or you can try this method... ;)

5Q1NO.gif

Last edited:
Might be more of a fan of the rolling start if my sense of balance were much younger. Now, anything of any consequence height wise needs to be mounted on a FRONT rack!

I found out @JayVee that with my kind of sickness the only frame I can mount is the step-through. Low-step would be even better.

I have to confess that this is something I never think of. I just get on the bike. Hope it stays that way.

When you stop to think about what it is you are doing (the consequences of a screw up), my bet is you'll stop doing it, having joined the ranks of those that don't do it any more!

Back