How do you get onto your high-step mid-motor e-bikes?

Even when I was younger and my legs were more agile/bendable I did the lean and throw leg over.

Nowadays these step thrus look more appealing but I worry about not having the stability of the top bar for my bigness. Maybe a mid step?

Even when I was younger and my legs were more agile/bendable I did the lean and throw leg over.

Nowadays these step thrus look more appealing but I worry about not having the stability of the top bar for my bigness. Maybe a mid step?
You're going to step over a "mid step"?
I say that as I don't think I could lift my foot high enough to clear anything like that, so I might just as well go with something conventional, knowing I'm going to be swinging my leg over the seat anyway!

Most of e-bikes from big brands are certified for 300 lb total load (rider and cargo). Say again, how big are you?
Certified for 300 maybe, but guys weighing half that are talking about feeling the frame flex. At 300 myself, this is not exactly confidence inspiring from where I sit...

Certified for 300 maybe, but guys weighing half that are talking about feeling the frame flex. At 300 myself, this is not exactly confidence inspiring from where I sit...

I'm with @AHicks. I'm around 270ish but sometimes those 300lb ratings includes the weight of the bike so unless they are pulling a Scotty... I'm close to the edge.

You're going to step over a "mid step"?
I say that as I don't think I could lift my foot high enough to clear anything like that, so I might just as well go with something conventional, knowing I'm going to be swinging my leg over the seat anyway!

I think I'm flexible enough to get over a mid-step. In my non-ebikes I run a large, and when standing, the "boys" are a little to close to the top bar if you know what I'm saying... so a mid-step might give me more peace of mind (and nether regions).

I'm with @AHicks. I'm around 270ish but sometimes those 300lb ratings includes the weight of the bike so unless they are pulling a Scotty... I'm close to the edge.
A demo ride would make you feel self-sure. Cannot say for any brand but the EU Certificate of Conformity for my Vado 5.0 Step-Through defines the total rider + cargo load as 136 kg (300 lb), and that's a serious document.

I think I'm flexible enough to get over a mid-step. In my non-ebikes I run a large, and when standing, the "boys" are a little to close to the top bar if you know what I'm saying... so a mid-step might give me more peace of mind (and nether regions).
I'm 6'2" and USED to ride 29'ers, so I know where you are coming from. I've since switched to 26" tires, and 17" frames (mid size). Plenty comfortable, with good leg extension possible, and PLENTY of room for the boys for those stops on/over uneven ground...... Still "tippy toes" when seated, which is reassuring for this 70 year old. -Al

Although at 73, I still ride my high barTrek MTB's, I'm finding it more and more difficult to mount them. Now, I tilt the bike sideways while holding a brake lever, throw my leg over the bar and step sideways while pulling the bike upright under me. Then, straddling the bike with both feet on the ground, I put the crank in the 9 /3 o'clock position, stand on the left pedal and hoist myself up onto the seat as the bike moves forward. I think it takes longer to read this instruction than to actually do it since it becomes a matter of habit. I used this same technique during many test rides when ebike shopping.

Realizing this was going to become increasingly difficult in the future, I switched to a step thru design when I bought my first ebike. I keep the seat a bit lower than normal so I can stop and start with my feet on the ground. The motor overcomes the loss of pedaling efficiency and for me, this lower position reduces back pain and arm fatigue.
The invention of the "step thru" is a triumph of marketing (which I usually classify as one of the dark arts).

Kid: "Hey, why ya riding a girl's bike, boomer?"
Me: "This ain't no girl's bike, kid; this is a STEP THRU!"

I'm with Browneye on this - leave the pedal assist on the lowest setting, keep the left pedal at the six o'clock position, start it moving by pushing with the other foot and swing the leg over once its moving fast enough to maintain your balance. I'm lucky enough that I can still do it the traditional way at 62.

I'm with Browneye on this - leave the pedal assist on the lowest setting, keep the left pedal at the six o'clock position, start it moving by pushing with the other foot and swing the leg over once its moving fast enough to maintain your balance. I'm lucky enough that I can still do it the traditional way at 62.
I get the bike up to speed faster by placing the left pedal at the 9 or even 10 o'clock position, setting the pedal assist on HIGH (Yamaha) or TURBO (Bosch), and then putting my full weight on the pedal. It's exhilarating! After a beat or two I swing my right leg over.

This might go into 2 threads (the "what do you wear" one and this one) but because I only have basketball shorts as my active wear (the long baggy ones... not the old school short tight ones), they keep getting caught on my seat when I step over either getting on or getting off.

Now I know why bikers wear those spandex shorts. :)

Not much of a plan B available here....

There are some awfully complicated answers to a thing that is incredibly simple. However, I will point one other thing out. On a properly-sized bike, your crotch should be able to clear the top tube while standing flat on your feet, straddling the top tube. Should be pretty simple from there. If you can't do that, the bike is too big. Many modern bikes have "sloping" top tubes to make this easier.

If your problem is that you're all wearing baggy basketball shorts and they get caught on the seat as you swing your leg over, that's on you. If your problem is that your leg no longer "swings," yes, that is what step-thrus are for. ;)

Don’t turn your ebike on till you‘ve mounted it. Problem solved.
I always do the old horse mount with left foot on the pedal and push to get going and swing my 66 yr old leg over my Allant+7. Then I power it up.

However, user manuals for mid-drive motor e-bikes explicitly forbid such a technique. The reason is, the torque sensor activates the motor when you step onto the pedal. That makes the e-bike ride at high acceleration and might mean an accident. The manuals also recommend you press your brake lever before you ride (the brake lever cuts off the power from the motor).

View attachment 45918

So, how do you get onto your high-step e-bikes?

I must admit that when I returned to cycling in 2013, all my bikes have been step-through since (I'd love a true low-step bike...) because I'm not agile anymore and my legs became surprisingly heavy, To mount the bike, I engage a brake, lean the bike towards me, throw my free leg over the lower part of the "top" tube. When I stand in the cockpit (as to say) I can place my foot on the pedal and ride, jumping onto the saddle meanwhile. How could I mount a high-step e-bike remains a mystery to me.
Nothing like that warning I’ve seen in my Trek manual. This is easily solved on my Trek Allant+7 by having an on/off button so no motor acceleration on my mid-drive til I’m on board and ready. I’ve actually never had that problem even when it is on.🤓

To prevent "surprises" torque sensor bikes need to be off, set to PAS 0, or mounted with at least one hand on one of the brakes. That lesson learned just the other day when I got one. Still pretty fresh in MY memory!

Back