How do i make my rear rack / basket more shock absorbing for food delivery?

inoob

How do i make my basket more shock absorbing?

I have an ebike and do food delivery with it and just recently added a basket to my rear bike rack / Toronto roads really suck because there's a bump every 30 seconds and i noticed my rear rack and delivery bag is taking alot of shock and bang.. i have it bungee corded to the max and worry food will spill eventually..

Do you guys think adding a towel to the bottom of the basket or something would help? So far no down votes from customers on the first day with it.

I have an ebike and do food delivery with it and just recently added a basket to my rear bike rack / Toronto roads really suck because there's a bump every 30 seconds and i noticed my rear rack and delivery bag is taking alot of shock and bang.. i have it bungee corded to the max and worry food will spill eventually..

Do you guys think adding a towel to the bottom of the basket or something would help? So far no down votes from customers on the first day with it.
Welcome aboard! Interesting problem.

You might try cutting up a thin closed-cell foam sleeping pad from a camping store — several layers if necessary. Might damp some of the jolts and vibrations but certainly not all. If it will fit, a small self-inflating seat pad might be better, as the firmness is adjustable.

Of course, the definitive solution would be an inertial damper like the ones they use in Star Trek to protect crews from instant accelerations from impulse to warp speeds and back. Potholes would be a piece of cake.
;^}

I've seen fragile camera equipment carried in panniers attached to a rear rack with bungees to absorb shock load. It could help, depending on what type of food you deliver.

If you have front suspension on your bike, you could add a front rack and set the suspension for a soft ride.

1694176902994.png

I guess that is why I see many riders using those giant backpacks. Their bodies are the shock absorbers.

You can also probably let out a bit of air, in the rear tire. And maybe ride slower. A plush towel may also be just right. You can pack into the bottom of the bag.

Though, I vote for a front basket as well. Especially if you have front suspension.

Would you mind posting a picture of the rear of the bike so we can get a better idea of what you have?

If you have front suspension on your bike, you could add a front rack and set the suspension for a soft ride.
Surely the rack in the photo is not subject to shock absorption (apart from the tyres)? The rack would need to be attached to the other side of the suspension unit, for example the frame or handlebars.

I would experiment with various soft shock absorbing materials such as those mentioned and of different densities. With no "down votes" it may not be a major issue.

Good luck.

View attachment 162226

Not sure I follow.
A rigid rack on the bottom part of the fork will have zero damping. It will suffer every bump in the road like a rear rack.

Unless you're hauling raw eggs, I believe you're over thinking this. I regularly bring a eggs home in my basket and have never broken one. I do use a stretchy cargo net meant for motorcycles to keep everything in the basket, but I've never had any damaged while riding.

Put large bubble buble wrap in the bottom and a fluffy towel on top of it. Fluffy towel on top of the food.

Not sure I follow.
A rigid rack on the bottom part of the fork will have zero damping. It will suffer every bump in the road like a rear rack.
To a degree, you are correct. Cargo doesn't take the same hard impact that a rigid mount rack, on a bike without suspension. I used something similar several years ago for commuting. Cargo gets shaken, but no hard impacts. Same is true with a handlebar mounted basket on a suspended fork.

I would create a bungee net suspension two inches from the bottom of the basket. Use zip ties all the way around with a hollow foam rolled pad under it for dampening.

I can tell you what I do to deal with this. First of all, Mr. Coffee is pointing you to what I would consider to be the proper solution, although you may choke on the price.
Order some of this and cut it into appropriate shapes:

20230204_131928[1].jpg
20230204_134332[1].jpg
20230204_134322[1].jpg

20230204_140503[1].jpg
20230204_144546[1].jpg

I use the Minicel T600 foam from this site (scroll down that page and its near the bottom). You want the really thick, heavy duty stuff that is thinner than most closed-cell padding, so you can double it up. The 600 type is also durable enough to last for years without damage to itself.

Ideally you want the 1/2" stuff. But if the price hurts too much, buy the 1/4" sheet and use 2 layers.

If you want to try a cheaper solution, a Therma Rest camp mattress is about US$20 and you can cut it up and duct tape it into a shape to match your rack dimensions. I did that as a pannier liner on my longtails. This bag is, by the way, a Rothco parachute bag. and you see a brown one netted down on the top of my cargo box below. This black one I grommeted and used as a 68L pannier.

img_20191124_150155[1].jpg

After that, Get yourself a drawstring laundry bag. Something sized to the container or just a little smaller. OR it can be bigger and just knot the excess so your load is kept inside and the individual items will no longer be able to freely bounce around.

I use the laundry bags in the back hardshell panniers (which are made from office wastebaskets) and cost a small fraction of what a pair of smaller Fjallraven hardshell panniers cost).

20230910_135335.jpg

Lastly, get yourself a net of some kind to net down the top of the basket. You can see the nets I use on my panniers, but bungee corded ones work great, too. My pannier nets are just covers but on a wire rack you can use them to net stuff DOWN to hold them onto the floor. I did that with my handlebar rack and rear racks on both of my longtails. Also in the pic above you can see the net holding down a canvas bag on the top of my front box. That bag can be filled with stuff and the net locks it all down.

And after all of that, maybe forget about your little box and go big. One of two paths:

or

I would create a bungee net suspension two inches from the bottom of the basket. Use zip ties all the way around with a hollow foam rolled pad under it for dampening.
The problem with that is action = reaction. Yesterday I used a net and had my thermos interwoven inside one of its squares. After just the wrong pothole, it sprang down and on the rebound, launched itself. Kind of a Wile E. Coyote moment. All the way to where I was going I was eyeballing it as it bounced and hoped it would stay put. It did until I had lunch and then it was empty and more airworthy.

Last edited:
When it comes to the OP's issue, bouncy is bad. You might need to add damping to any free-floating spring/bungee suspension of your basket to keep the basket from resonating with certain repetitive bumps on your routes (Cobblestone would be an extreme example.)

Padding-based solutions of the kind suggested above would likely have adequate damping on their own.

My kids do Uber eats on their bikes and use this for delivery:

When it comes to the OP's issue, bouncy is bad. You might need to add damping to any free-floating spring/bungee suspension of your basket to keep the basket from resonating with certain repetitive bumps on your routes (Cobblestone would be an extreme example.)

Padding-based solutions of the kind suggested above would likely have adequate damping on their own.
I was in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico, a few years ago, and was interested in how the numerous dirt bikes fared on the cobblestone streets. You could see the front suspension (which obviously had extreme range of motion) working constantly. Looked as though the riders had a reasonably smooth ride on those very bumpy streets. Don't remember any of them doing food delivery, though.

Back