Help on choosing a Vancouver Commuter bike

Dsixdsix

Hi All

Firstly thank you for a supportive and informative community, website and Forum. Appreciate it.

I am looking to buy my first ebike after a hard manual commute the other day. I am barraged with information and reviews so any help appreciated.

My commute

Vancouver BC. 25kms each way. Rolling hills with some steep climbs. Total elevation gain around 1600ft total. Tarmac. Often in wet as this is BC.

Rider

I am 5ft 10. 148 lbs. I have a Trek road/race bike and have ran several marathons so fitness is good. I did tear mcl a few months ago so not quite where I was but on the mend

Bikes.

I have narrowed it down a few options. Budget max 3k CAD unless a real beauty. Preferably less as in mid 2ks CAD

Juiced bikes cross current s. 48v either a 12.8 or 19.2a. Hub drive. Around 2899-3000CAD.

Voltbike bravo or Yukon 750 limited. These guys are ten minutes from my house. Hub drive. Around 1900 - 2250 CAD. I probably would need road tread tires if I brought the Yukon though. Nice guys in person btw.

Giant quick e plus. Mid drive. Around 3200 CAD

Haibike??

Another option is a 350 watt front conversion kit on my hard tail. Around 1400 CAD. Is this enough power??

Surface 604??

sorry for long list. It’s really tough to get to this point. Any advice appreciated on reliability (key) suitability and such is appreciated. Hub over mid drive etc ? Support is important too if needed by vendor.

I am trying to arrange test rides for all. I can post feedback as I get it for everyone.

Thank you

Daniel

:)

Go see the crew at Grin Tech off Powell. They are a great resource and can get you set up properly. ebikes.ca

As a Vancouverite I second that! Let us know what you decide. Vancouver is a hotbed of eBike activity. eProdigy is from here and I believe Cube, isn't Surface604 as well hence the area code. Oh, and Ohm.

Last edited:
Hi All

Firstly thank you for a supportive and informative community, website and Forum. Appreciate it.

I am looking to buy my first ebike after a hard manual commute the other day. I am barraged with information and reviews so any help appreciated.

My commute

Vancouver BC. 25kms each way. Rolling hills with some steep climbs. Total elevation gain around 1600ft total. Tarmac. Often in wet as this is BC.

Rider

I am 5ft 10. 148 lbs. I have a Trek road/race bike and have ran several marathons so fitness is good. I did tear mcl a few months ago so not quite where I was but on the mend

Bikes.

I have narrowed it down a few options. Budget max 3k CAD unless a real beauty. Preferably less as in mid 2ks CAD

Juiced bikes cross current s. 48v either a 12.8 or 19.2a. Hub drive. Around 2899-3000CAD.

Voltbike bravo or Yukon 750 limited. These guys are ten minutes from my house. Hub drive. Around 1900 - 2250 CAD. I probably would need road tread tires if I brought the Yukon though. Nice guys in person btw.

Giant quick e plus. Mid drive. Around 3200 CAD

Haibike??

Another option is a 350 watt front conversion kit on my hard tail. Around 1400 CAD. Is this enough power??

Surface 604??

sorry for long list. It’s really tough to get to this point. Any advice appreciated on reliability (key) suitability and such is appreciated. Hub over mid drive etc ? Support is important too if needed by vendor.

I am trying to arrange test rides for all. I can post feedback as I get it for everyone.

Thank you

Daniel

:)
1600' elevation gain points to a mid drive rather than hub drive but with your fitness level, could use a powerful hub drive.

Perhaps Juiced's CCX 52v is worth consideration? I think you'll be unimpressed with lesser motors/smaller batteries. Always get biggest battery available.

Most kits I've seen in person look like bodge jobs and the frames/brakes/wheels are rarely designed for the extra speed/weight.

I'd spend the money to get a quality purpose-built ebike - is an extra $1+/-K really going to make a difference if you can commute comfortably and reliably?

1600' elevation gain points to a mid drive rather than hub drive but with your fitness level, could use a powerful hub drive.
For a fit person I would say maintaining the ability to ride without electricity is important. So geared hub is best for that. They have a one-way clutch that means they don't drag when not powered. Mid-drives drag when not powered except for the Yamaha that has such a clutch. A Direct drive hub drags me down about one sprocket unpowered. I've been riding without power for 3 weeks, but the wind hasn't been 41 mph in my face when I've been out, either. So my heart lungs and legs aren't losing any strength. When the wind does become annoying, or I have a cold or arthritic knee pain, the electricity is there. I just have to plug the battery in and push the button.
Geared hubs also climb effectively. My geared hub drew 350 W up 15% grade at 11 mph, or 750 W at 4 mph. It is a 1000 W model, about the lowest wattage kit available in the US.
Both my hub drives were conversions of no-suspension frames. But I can see the advantage of a suspension over 10 mph. I'm using 2.1" tires, which are okay, but I hit a pothole yesterday covered by a puddle from the rain and rattled my jaw. The faster you ride the less time you have to dodge the potholes and pavement separator ridges. And you'll use the electricity sometimes to save time, like the day you worked 14 hours.
Grin has a great reputation to kit builders.

I went the no fuss/available maintenance Giant route. Lots of locations around Vancouver. I'm in Delta.
What's your commute route?

hey Dave thanks. Alex Fraser. Queebsboro bridge. Crosstown green way. Metrotown. Willingdon hill all the way past BCIT to past Hastings and Willingdon. Yes I like the giant too. Trying to get a test ride stock is low everywhere You happy with it?

hey Dave thanks. Alex Fraser. Queebsboro bridge. Crosstown green way. Metrotown. Willingdon hill all the way past BCIT to past Hastings and Willingdon. Yes I like the giant too. Trying to get a test ride stock is low everywhere You happy with it?
Yup, that's a hefty track! My commute is half that from North Delta to Tilbury and back along River Road. I've only done it twice so far but the Giant did it twice on the same charge with some battery to spare. Nasty hill on the way home.
For reference I usually ride in assist level 2, and for that nasty hill I'm on level 4. Level 5 is rarely if ever used.

I've done a few hundred kilometers so far with zero issues apart from minor adjustments to the derailleur. Everything is solid.
Mine is the Fathom E+ so the tires are not meant for commute. Your choice will roll even better. I do love the fact that I can hop into trail/dirt with abandon while riding anywhere, and when I go trail riding it's awesome.

That being said, the Quick looks perfect for the road and some trails too.
I've had zero reason to visit the dealer for issues since taking ownership Aug 1st except for a flat they fixed for the price of the tube alone. It's nice to know they're there though.

Back