Which of these for a commuting newbie?

Oh that is a good idea. Can you carry lots on the bike then to do grocery shopping?
In the maximum scenario, that would be two large panniers (require the rear rack) and a big backpack. It could be 16-20 kg gross. I just love the Ortlieb Vario backpack-pannier that can be converted between its roles in several seconds! (23 litres capacity). I prefer carrying possibly less, hence I do the shopping rides every 2 or 3 days. To just buy beverages and some food, I can opt to take a 4 mile round trip to the nearest store (which is not as well stocked as the one 2 x 5 miles away).

1682067956197.png

A funny photo from my yesterday's ride to the nearer store. I planned just using the Vario as a single pannier (6 kg of liquid in bottles inside) when I discovered I also needed the dustpan & broom :) It took me seconds to convert the Vario into the backpack and I could return with the new purchase :) (The broom was horizontal while I was riding!) :)

I have heard that VanMoofs have more focused on style and not quality so they end up having quite a lot of issues. Does anyone have experience with this?
Can’t speak from direct experience, but seems like Dash is a great option for you to just get an VanMoof A5 and see how well it works out for you. With their rental setup, included maintenance and support, would be lower risk.

One case where just getting one bike and spending an extended time getting familiar and used to it, might be a better option than testing riding 10 different bikes for each for only a short period of time IMHO. Have fun!

Last edited:
One case where just getting one bike and spending an extended time getting familiar and used to it, might be a better option than testing riding 10 different bikes for each for only a short period of time IMHO. Have fun!
Why should Helen test any mediocre e-bikes? PSm, it is the UK, not your great country :) (Was it you who said "I'm on the seventh commuter e-bike"?)
You should understand the brands such as Radrunner et al. do not put huge motors into the e-bikes sold in the UK/EU. And the e-bikes are limited to 15.5 mph/25 km/h.

@HelenH: The Van Moof actually has an automatic gearbox!

Last edited:
I just got back from Sea Otter and had the opportunity to discuss a lot of industry stuff with people within it - not retail riders. Based on what I heard from authoritative sources, I would not touch a Van Moof bike. Not comfortable giving details. They've gone from a company I liked to recommend to one I'll just sit by and observe.

Meanwhile...

1682359526301.png

1682359567114.png

21.3 kg of cargo (gross) of which 19.0 kg spread into the two panniers on a Specialized Turbo Vado SL 4.0 EQ.

Hi all, I’m trying to switch to an ebike to save money on my London commute. The best way I have found is to rent a bike from Dash. I have no idea which bike to choose, please help!

I am 5ft 5, quite active but need that extra boost. I mostly need the bike for commuting (about 5 miles) but maybe also a ride through the park at weekends. Any advice appreciated.

This is their selection: https://www.dashrides.com/bike-listing
To get back to your original question, the Dash subscription seems like a low risk way to not only try one or more models, but see how reliable the specific bike you get is over a period of time.

Volt Kensington mentioned in this review:

Why should Helen test any mediocre e-bikes? PSm, it is the UK, not your great country :) (Was it you who said "I'm on the seventh commuter e-bike"?)
You should understand the brands such as Radrunner et al. do not put huge motors into the e-bikes sold in the UK/EU. And the e-bikes are limited to 15.5 mph/25 km/h.

@HelenH: The Van Moof actually has an automatic gearbox!
Wasn’t me Stefan. You got posts mixed up 🤪

With the deepest respect to PSm (who is a fine person), the quality issues happen to the e-bikes he rides, that is, e-bikes of low price and quality (a number of e-bikes on the Dash website unfortunately belong to that category...) It is thus very important your seller ensures full technical support and a good warranty.

As with everything, there are better and worse things in this world.

The best you could do would be booking a demo ride on a VanMoof and just do your commute route both ways (with the wheels properly inflated by the LBS and with a fully charged battery -- LBSes often forget about these two things!) :)
I didn't think it was still necessary to keep an eye on the inflated tires and battery. I thought that on a demo ride, the salesman had to do his best to sell it.

I didn't think it was still necessary to keep an eye on the inflated tires and battery. I thought that on a demo ride, the salesman had to do his best to sell it.
Funny to think about it but I received my brand new Vado from an LBS with underinflated tyres. More! Another LBS (an excellent and qualified store!) provided the demo ride to me with inflated tyres but with half empty battery! (The fact I could complete my demo ride with such a low battery level was the most convincing factor making me buy a Vado SL).

I have got some insider information on VanMoof and agree that maybe that's the brand better not invest in. Which leaves the Cowboy as the only e-bike from the Dash offer that I might consider myself.

I think @HelenH would be the best off with a Specialized Turbo Vado SL 4.0 ST EQ if she found financing elsewhere and talked with a good Specialized owned LBS about the e-bike availability.

Last edited:
Funny to think about it but I received my brand new Vado from an LBS with underinflated tyres. More! Another LBS (an excellent and qualified store!) provided the demo ride to me with inflated tyres but with half empty battery! (The fact I could complete my demo ride with such a low battery level was the most convincing factor making me buy a Vado SL).

I have got some insider information on VanMoof and agree that maybe that's the brand not invest in. Which leaves the Cowboy as the only e-bike from the Dash offer that I might consider myself.

I think @HelenH would be the best off with a Specialized Turbo Vado SL 4.0 ST EQ if she found financing elsewhere and talked with a good Specialized owned LBS about the e-bike availability.
It's good information for me too, something to think about. Thank you.
I get the impression that they don't really want to increase sales, they're fine with everything. Or until they read the forum, nothing will change in their company.

Last edited:
Back