Hello from Everywhere! Friends and Visits?

Greetings all. New to EMTB but, been on Mt Bikes since the mid 80s mostly in the Rockies.
My first E-bike is a Cube Reaction. Love it except for the speed control.
Anyway, located in N Burnaby and am starting to discover the trails of Burnaby Mt.
For which, having an EMTB is quite the experience. See me there or look me up...

Attachments

• 20181024_172701.jpg
    20181024_172701.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 562
It seems that I'm a little late to the party but wanted to offer to ride with you and/or buy you a meal when you come to Santa Barbara, Ca. I truly appreciate your extensive reviews, which helped guide me to purchase my first eBike a few years ago - a 2015 Haibike 29'er. I now ride 100 miles per week regularly and have experienced tremendous health gains as a result. I am contemplating purchasing the 2019 HaiBike SDURO Trekking S 9.0 when it becomes available in the USA this Spring. Have you had an opportunity to review this bike yet? I am eager to hear your perspective on this one.
I hope to see you in our little beach town when you return. Thanks for all that you do!

Before the official intro I just wanted to say if anyone lives in SoCal, NorCal, Vancouver, South Florida, Colorado, Austin or another area with lots of ebikes and wants to go for a ride, grab lunch or even has a couch to crash on... sound off! I've met some great people here in the past and enjoyed visiting and experiencing new locations with a local friend. Comment or message me!

Hey guys and gals, this is Court Rye! I created EBR in 2013 to help people understand and better choose electric bicycles for their lifestyle and budget. My own first purchase was confusing, expensive and frustrating... I bought online and felt like I spent too much when the bike actually arrived. I had never assembled an ebike before and wasn't sure if I'd be able to get help from a regular shop if I messed something up or it broke and I wasn't sure if anyone would ever want to buy it used someday if I decided to upgrade or just move on. It was a tense day and I felt very alone, there were very few resources at the time but one that I relied on a lot was ElectricBikeReport.com run by my now-friend Pete Prebus!

Given how awesome this technology can be (health, community and affordability wise) I was inspired to start reviewing bikes in my free time outside of work. I bought the domain electricbikereview.com for $1,500 and launched a WordPress site before eventually launching this forum so people could help each other. These days I'm so busy traveling and being "everywhere" trying review the latest tech that I'm not on the forum as much as I'd like but moderator @Ann M. is here for you and she's great! I'm always open to more help so feel free to message me here or contact me directly if you'd like to join in. I believe in transparency and objectivity and do my best to disclose advertising relationships and moderator relationships etc. but still speak critically when need be. Please do the same, tell the truth and help people or at least use tact if you're on the attack :)

Just below is a video I shot before jumping into EBR full time. I was working for a tech startup in Austin, TX and using ebikes to commute to work... the bike in the video is an Easy Motion Neo Jumper and was my third electric bike! I finally felt like I had found one that worked great for me and was excited to share the experience with the world.

As always, thanks for being involved here. Your comments, helping each other and feedback to me make this place special and it means a lot. As always, ride safe! Here are a few pics of me doing reviews, this is how the magic happens baby XD

View attachment 7398View attachment 7401View attachment 7404View attachment 7407View attachment 7410View attachment 7413View attachment 7416View attachment 7419View attachment 7422

Update! In March of 2018, EBR and me were featured in an article on Bicycle Retailer and Industry News (BRAIN) magazine. It was an honor, but they were not able to fit in everything and I wanted to thank Ann M, Darlington, Tara, Brent, and Jeremy who have all helped in various ways to make this site and community possible, I love them and also appreciate everyone here who has contributed to this positive and useful space. I got permission to share the story here, and it's embedded as an image below along with some additional images I shared but that were not used (the last one is my Grandfather, who also loved riding bikes):

View attachment 20450View attachment 20458View attachment 20456View attachment 20451View attachment 20455
View attachment 20453View attachment 20452View attachment 20454View attachment 20457
Hello Curt, hello all,
I am a 62 years old, retired lawyer and notary from Germany, living southwest from Berlin.
I like to do sports and 5 years ago, after problems with my knees, I started cycling. First with an old bicycle,
the best on this was the red color, than with the pretty good Stevens and now.....
from the beginning...
sine many years we spend our summer holidays in France, 120 kilometers south Bordeaux on the Atlantic Cost. In 2017 we saw some guys riding with bikes with really monster tires on the beach, rather fast and having a lot of fun. After some days they disappeared and, like thousand of years before...no bikes on the beach. Last year the Bike Rental has two of these Fatbikes. Ok, we decided to rent these two bikes for a day!
And so, I - better we - did somethings for the first time ~
1.) Riding an Ebike
2.) Riding on the beach
3.) Riding a Fat-bike
It was fantastic , amazing , great , it was the * That's it* -feeling
See the attached photos.
It was a 30 - Kilometer -ride on the beach from Contis-Plage to Mimizan-Plage and back and so super fantastic . I think, you understand.
Back in our Appartment I spend hours and hours for searching in Internet anything about E-Fatbikes.
I found not so much. In a German Magazine something about the Radrhino from RadPowerBikes.
Good relationship between price and quality , not the best components but solide. But only to order in the Staates. This article one or 2 years old . On the website of RadPowerBikes I saw, they are now in Europe!
And then had a special offer.....the 2017-Model for 1399 Euro !!!
Very good price! Saying nothing to Ariane, my wonderful wife, I ordered in the last days of our holidays one.
On a Sunday we were back home, the bike was delivered the following Wednesday. 30 Minutes later I take the first ride on my Radrhino - super good !!!! Comfortable and solid, better than expected.
My wife just shook her head. But after her first ride, she said , ok I take it, it's wonderful. So I orders the second one. This arrived 4 days later (!!) We are both very happy with these bikes. We ride here , in our quite sandy region ways and patches you wouldn't go with a normal bike and this is really great.
I am not interested in speed, but in range. So Ifound this wonderful website . and so - also the first time - I jointed an Internetforum.
Please forgive my bad English, but it's hard not to write in your mothers tongue!!
Greetings from the cold, rainy and windy Berlin surrounding area (but I have done 20 Kilometers on a Radrhino)
Ralfimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

@RetuorenRalf

Welcome to the forum Ralf and congratulations on your Radrhino bikes.
Sure sounds like you and your wife will have a lot of fun riding them once the warmer weather comes back.
We all love to see a lot of pictures from your rides so make sure to share your experiences .
Here is one tread that you can use to share or you can start your own tread if you like.
Enjoy your stay.

I’m a new ebike owner who lives south of Sydney, Australia. I rode regularly until maybe ten years ago. Feeling my age (64 soon) and living at the top of a steep hill, I just picked up a Trek Commuter + 7 to address both issues. It’s been just a week and I’m loving it!

Most of my riding is on a bike path to and from work (about 20km each way). It’s a wonderful way to start and end the day!

Attachments

• D287BE4F-8723-42D1-946A-1E8E30A2C68F.jpeg
    D287BE4F-8723-42D1-946A-1E8E30A2C68F.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 380
It seems that I'm a little late to the party but wanted to offer to ride with you and/or buy you a meal when you come to Santa Barbara, Ca. I truly appreciate your extensive reviews, which helped guide me to purchase my first eBike a few years ago - a 2015 Haibike 29'er. I now ride 100 miles per week regularly and have experienced tremendous health gains as a result. I am contemplating purchasing the 2019 HaiBike SDURO Trekking S 9.0 when it becomes available in the USA this Spring. Have you had an opportunity to review this bike yet? I am eager to hear your perspective on this one.
I hope to see you in our little beach town when you return. Thanks for all that you do!
I ditto the if you’re ever in Santa Barbara

Hi, I have returned to cycling as part of my rehabilitation from a heart attack. I retired from the first service with spinal injuries which limited my walking ability to a great degree. I have always been a cyclist but gave it a rest due to the injuries. However I find that though I have severed walking restrictions my injuries do allow me to cycle to some degree. I was advised that an ebike would be eminently suitable given my physical problems and it proved to be so. I checked out a great number of ebikes before settling on the 2019 Raleigh Motus Crossbar. What a bike! Superb ride with great range on my style of riding. I only use the motor only when necessary, preferring to use my own leg power wherever possible. That way I get the exercise I need yet I still have the confidence of having the motor to help get me home should problems arise or I found I may have done a little too much. My local terrain is mainly flat with some mildly undulating and rolling countryside. I am getting upwards of 90 accumulated miles on a single charge and that on the 300 watt basic battery! To say that ebike has changed my life is to put it mildly. It is the best thing I ever did and I get up of a morning looking forward to getting out on the bike. I get out at least four days a week and get a ride of 10 to 12 miles in with one of 25 miles minimum at least once a week. Given the chance I would be out seven days a week but my wife cannot ride at all due to her health so I do have to dedicate a couple of days a week to her. If anyone is doubting the benefits of an ebike then all you have to do it book a demonstration ride or hire one for a day and I guarantee you will be hooked. Anything that gets motorists out of their cars and onto a cycle, be it and ebike or not, is no bad thing for all of us!

Hi, I have returned to cycling as part of my rehabilitation from a heart attack. I retired from the first service with spinal injuries which limited my walking ability to a great degree. I have always been a cyclist but gave it a rest due to the injuries. However I find that though I have severed walking restrictions my injuries do allow me to cycle to some degree. I was advised that an ebike would be eminently suitable given my physical problems and it proved to be so. I checked out a great number of ebikes before settling on the 2019 Raleigh Motus Crossbar. What a bike! Superb ride with great range on my style of riding. I only use the motor only when necessary, preferring to use my own leg power wherever possible. That way I get the exercise I need yet I still have the confidence of having the motor to help get me home should problems arise or I found I may have done a little too much. My local terrain is mainly flat with some mildly undulating and rolling countryside. I am getting upwards of 90 accumulated miles on a single charge and that on the 300 watt basic battery! To say that ebike has changed my life is to put it mildly. It is the best thing I ever did and I get up of a morning looking forward to getting out on the bike. I get out at least four days a week and get a ride of 10 to 12 miles in with one of 25 miles minimum at least once a week. Given the chance I would be out seven days a week but my wife cannot ride at all due to her health so I do have to dedicate a couple of days a week to her. If anyone is doubting the benefits of an ebike then all you have to do it book a demonstration ride or hire one for a day and I guarantee you will be hooked. Anything that gets motorists out of their cars and onto a cycle, be it and ebike or not, is no bad thing for all of us!

Good on ya Biffo, I'm opposite you on the other side of the country (East Yorkshire) You're enjoying it now! Wait until the good weather gets going. There will be no stopping you.

Biffo, I enjoyed the read. Thought I'd mention, I'm from Connecticut in the US, and I'm coming to London with my wife in May. First time ever. I don't plan to ride any bikes, just play tourist. I suppose I'll find some interesting things to do, right? :) If you have any tips, feel free to mention!

Biffo, I enjoyed the read. Thought I'd mention, I'm from Connecticut in the US, and I'm coming to London with my wife in May. First time ever. I don't plan to ride any bikes, just play tourist. I suppose I'll find some interesting things to do, right? :) If you have any tips, feel free to mention!

Kurt, could advise you on many things to do and see. However, don't just "do" London. Take the train from Kings Cross and visit York, it's a great service, many trains a day only just over two hours. You won't regret it.

Kurt, could advise you on many things to do and see. However, don't just "do" London. Take the train from Kings Cross and visit York, it's a great service, many trains a day only just over two hours. You won't regret it.
Definitely take the chance to slip out of London, if time and schedule permits!
There's nearer-by Oxford and Cambridge, as well as York, and even Durham up north and Canterbury to the south are feasible and so worthwhile! (Keep in mind I'm a bit biased towards England's gems, as a tour guide at an English Gothic cathedral located here in D.C.! ;)

Definitely take the chance to slip out of London, if time and schedule permits!
There's nearer-by Oxford and Cambridge, as well as York, and even Durham up north and Canterbury to the south are feasible and so worthwhile! (Keep in mind I'm a bit biased towards England's gems, as a tour guide at an English Gothic cathedral located here in D.C.! ;)

Chris, you may like these? Beverley Minister (6 miles from my home - 25 miles East of York) and St. Mary's (South Dalton) seven miles West of Beverley. They have used The Minister many times for filming, replicating St. Pauls Cathedral, Westminster Abbey etc.

Attachments

• 20190216_123758_resized[17].jpg
    20190216_123758_resized[17].jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 370
  • 20190216_133938_resized[15].jpg
    20190216_133938_resized[15].jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 377
Chris, you may like these? Beverley Minister (6 miles from my home - 25 miles East of York) and St. Mary's (South Dalton) seven miles West of Beverley. They have used The Minister many times for filming, replicating St. Pauls Cathedral, Westminster Abbey etc.

Nice! Stick a central tower on that first image, and there's a strong similarity with "my" Washington National Cathedral:
{Edit: Shown here wearing a "top hat" on the central tower due to damages inflicted by the 2011 5.8 magnitude earthquake, which caused about $35M in damages to the building. Still undergoing repairs today, and we're only about to the half-way point now. All work funded by private donation/gift, so ... it is slow-going!!)

WNC1.JPG

Last edited:
Nice! Stick a central tower on that first image, and there's a strong similarity with "my" Washington National Cathedral:
{Edit: Shown here wearing a "top hat" on the central tower due to damages inflicted by the 2011 5.8 magnitude earthquake, which caused about $35M in damages to the building. Still undergoing repairs today, and we're only about to the half-way point now. All work funded by private donation/gift, so ... it is slow-going!!)

View attachment 30286

The frontage is very similar to Lincoln Cathedral, although it's twin towers are much higher. As with all these wonderful buildings, it's none stop maintenance and repair. With permenant appeals and fund raising going on. Problem in the UK is competition, for those funds. We have soooo many of these ancient buidlings. Even the smallest of villages, will usually have a Norman or earlier God's House.

Oh this is great. I can see I have found a rich resource for my trip. Thank you all for your kind responses. ( and apologies to other readers for this public solicitation of my trip to London ). To give context to the trip, it's my wife's 65th birthday. We are not well traveled. So this is a big deal. It's a five-day trip total. Arrive on a Thursday night and leave Monday afternoon.. So two travel days. And three days in London. We are seeing a show (musicical) in the west end on Saturday night. Other than that, we are wide open. By the way, I booked it for Easter weekend by mistake. So it will be a little crowded I understand in London during that time. I called the concierge at the hotel we are staying at, and he advised booking early and that certain sites will have families lined up for the major attractions.

I suppose a typical first time tourist routine might be to hop on a double deck bus and tour around London, yes? Seems like an efficient thing to do. (Or hire a private tour guide?). And see the Tower of London, Buckingham palace, Hyde Park, etc. Beyond that, I have no idea yet. Just starting my research. We love food, drink, history, restaurants, and yes, the environment and countryside. I realize we will only have time to scratch the surface. We will do the best we can. Your advice and picking sites that might avoid crowds and yet satisfy a special experience would be welcome to. I realize it's a tall order. Another words, anything that you could share that you would avoid, or conversely, that is out of the ordinary, would be helpful. But for three days, I certainly realize options are highly limited.

I also appreciate your suggestions for slipping out of town. Would love to do that if possible. Not sure about a two hour train ride though in one day. Might be a bit much. Possibly something closer? If you had to pick one place for a day trip from London, what would it be? If feasible, I would certainly consider. Otherwise it's going to be seeing a few sites in London, and eating and drinking. (Pubs?!))

Lastly, your mention of certain historical buildings is enticing. I'm wondering if there are things we could see that the normal tourist would possibly miss. Feel free to suggest. Forgive my ignorance.... a possible castle, museum, or structure that particularly jumps out at you?
And if it gets too lengthy for this site, feel free to email me at [email protected].

Thank you all! Funny how the subject of Ebikes attracts wonderful people!

Last edited:
Hello from England UK.
Live in the Cotswolds and returning to MTB world after spinal troubles.
Just bought Giant Fathom 2 Pro and what a revelation.
Just keep wanting to go out on the trails.
Goes all the places you wish you could go on a motorbike.

Attachments

• 502CAF5F-3AE3-432B-8E82-FF4B26686B5E.jpeg
    502CAF5F-3AE3-432B-8E82-FF4B26686B5E.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 388
Back