Has anyone found a secret way to reprogram the Rook/Colt throttle speed controller for higher speed at ANY PAS mode???

AZOldTech

Has anyone found a secret way to reprogram the Rook/Colt throttle speed controller for higher speed at ANY PAS mode??? Cause I think this is the ONLY thing that's keeping me from ordering one. And I don't buy the explanation either that Bafang would not do it for them (when they have done it for most other ebike companies). Does anyone know how to remove that limit? Or if there something hardware related that is preventing this? In my view, it should be all software. The Display computer is controlling the modes and the speed controller at each mode IMO. So if we can find a way to reprogram the speed controller we should be able to remove that limit to the throttle and have it at ALL modes be variable from zero to max power. Any thoughts?

edit: I found this
WARNING: You can fry your motor if you were to try and change any parameters and you do not know what you are doing. With that said and out of the way, I'm including info on programming the Bafang motor here, and as I find more info I will update:
PROGRAMMING YOUR BAFANG MOTOR
http://wiseinnovationtechnologies.com/programming-your-bafang-motor/
A Hacker’s Guide To Programming The BBS02 & BBSHD
https://electricbike-blog.com/2015/06/26/a-hackers-guide-to-programming-the-bbs02/
Programming The BBS02 & BBSHD Without Frying Your Controller And Losing Your Sanity
https://electricbike-blog.com/2015/...rying-your-controller-and-losing-your-sanity/
I Void Warranties : Hacking The Bafang Ultra Max Mid-Drive Ebike Drive
https://electricbike-blog.com/2017/...g-the-bafang-ultra-max-mid-drive-ebike-drive/

Last edited:
Anyone with a Rook or Colt bike, can you look at the Bafang motor and tell me all the label numbers that are on the motor??? Thanks.

BTW take the following for what is worth as I have no way to verify and confirm one way or another. It is possible that the 2019 models will NOT have the speed limiter that the 2018 models have. If that is the case then presumably you should be able to purchase the 2019 speed controller, put it into your 2018 Rook/Colt bike, and NOT have the throttle limitations you currently have. In other words at MAX throttle you should be able to get max speed on ANY PAS mode. But this is only word of mouth and I have no way to confirm that the 2019 controller will be able to do this or will be able to be used on the 2018 bikes. But considering that there is currently a speed controller available for purchase that presumably can be used with 2017 or 2018 models ($129), one can assume that the new 2019 controller should be able to be used as well. But until you have the new one and installed and does what you want, nobody could say with 100% certainty.
https://surface604bikes.com/products/48v-18ah-controller

So I will still continue looking for a way to program the current controller via the info I posted on the #1 post on this thread. So having the info on the actual Bafang motor on these bikes will be helpful. Thanks.

Last edited:
2017 model could do a higher than 20 mph speed. the 2018 models use the same display. reset the speed limit max, using the code. it is probably ok to go around 24 to 25 mph. What i dont know is whether the amp rating of the controller changed from what was being used on 2017 models, to the 2018 model. Motor at 500 watts and voltages stayed the same from 2017 to 2018. (p.s. I'd tell you the 'code' but then I'd have to shoot you.:cool:)

2017 model could do a higher than 20 mph speed. the 2018 models use the same display. reset the speed limit max, using the code. it is probably ok to go around 24 to 25 mph. What i dont know is whether the amp rating of the controller changed from what was being used on 2017 models, to the 2018 model. Motor at 500 watts and voltages stayed the same from 2017 to 2018. (p.s. I'd tell you the 'code' but then I'd have to shoot you.:cool:)
Thanks @Deleted Member 4210 for your reply. Yes, I'm aware of the code to bump up the max speed. However my question was how to bump the max speed of the throttle on every PAS. Currently as it stands (the mph numbers at PAS1-4 below are off the top of my head but should be close to actual numbers...):

throttle on PAS 0 - does nothing
throttle on PAS 1 - maxes to some low number (10mph?)
throttle on PAS 2 - maxes to some low number (12.5mph?)
throttle on PAS 3 - maxes to some low number (15mph?)
throttle on PAS 4 - maxes to some low number (17.50mph?)
throttle on PAS 5 - maxes to 20mph (or to whatever the max limit is set to)

The correct way IMHO it should be and it is in most ebikes I've seen, when you push on the throttle ALL THE WAY it can go to max on every PAS level (except maybe PAS 0). That is the programming of the controller that I'm talking about. And my information says that the 2019 Rook and Colt will work exactly that way. So a possible solution will be to wait to buy the 2019 version or buy the 2018 and then buy the 2019 controller and install it. I'd rather figure out the programming and re-program it myself.

BTW, can you look at you Rook motor and tell me all the numbers on it. Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks @Deleted Member 4210 for your reply. Yes, I'm aware of the code to bump up the max speed. However my question was how to bump the max speed of the throttle on every PAS. Currently as it stands (the mph numbers at PAS1-4 below are off the top of my head but should be close to actual numbers...):

throttle on PAS 0 - does nothing
throttle on PAS 1 - maxes to some low number (10mph?)
throttle on PAS 2 - maxes to some low number (12.5mph?)
throttle on PAS 3 - maxes to some low number (15mph?)
throttle on PAS 4 - maxes to some low number (17.50mph?)
throttle on PAS 5 - maxes to 20mph (or to whatever the max limit is set to)

The correct way IMHO it should be and it is in most ebikes I've seen, when you push on the throttle ALL THE WAY it can go to max on every PAS level (except maybe PAS 0). That is the programming of the controller that I'm talking about. And my information says that the 2019 Rook and Colt will work exactly that way. So a possible solution will be to wait to buy the 2019 version or buy the 2018 and the buy the 2019 controller and install it. I'd rather figure out the programming and re-program it myself.

BTW, can you look at you Rook motor and tell me all the numbers on it. Thanks.

My throttle goes past 20 mph and it is also active at zero PAS.

To make the throttle go past 20 mph, go to the throttle page, set the speed limit by displays command and designated assist level to "9". The throttle can also deliver full power at all PAS levels.

1538710266404.png

To make the throttle active at PAS 0, go to the basic page and assign a "current limit" number to PAS 0 greater than "0". I put "2" current limit at PAS 0. It is also good to put 100% speed limit to all PAS levels including PAS 0 so your motor can continue to power at higher speed even if it is a "mild" support such as going downhill.

1538710178187.png

At the pedal assist page, set your speed limit to by display's command to allow higher speed limit assigned (100%) that was entered in the basic page.

1538710575399.png

The program originated for the Bafang hub drive and is carried over to the mid drive, so there are lots of common features.

You can learn more about the settings here and the choices by different vendors and enthusiasts here,
https://electricbike-blog.com/2015/06/26/a-hackers-guide-to-programming-the-bbs02/

Last edited:

To make the throttle go past 20 mph, go to the throttle page, set the speed limit by displays command and designated assist level to "9". The throttle can also deliver full power at all PAS levels.

View attachment 26200

To make the throttle active at PAS 0, go to the basic page and assign a "current limit" number to PAS 0 greater than "0". I put "2" current limit at PAS 0. It is also good to put 100% speed limit to all PAS levels including PAS 0 so your motor can continue to power at higher speed even if it is a "mild" support such as going downhill.

View attachment 26199

At the pedal assist page, set your speed limit to by display's command to allow higher speed limit assigned (100%) that was entered in the basic page.

View attachment 26201

The program originated for the Bafang hub drive and is carried over to the mid drive, so there are lots of common features.

You can learn more about the settings here and the choices by different vendors and enthusiasts here,
That is exactly what I was looking for. Many thanks @Trail Cruiser.

View attachment 26200

View attachment 26199

View attachment 26201

Can someone share the default setting for the Surface604 Rook. I saved on my computer before making a few changes, but somehow it didn’t write the file correctly. I’m ok with my current configuration, but would like to have option to revert to factory settings. - Thanks

Can someone share the default setting for the Surface604 Rook. I saved on my computer before making a few changes, but somehow it didn’t write the file correctly. I’m ok with my current configuration, but would like to have option to revert to factory settings. - Thanks

Attachments

• Surface604Rook_stock.zip
    399 bytes · Views: 979
AZ,

There is a newer version of the software that includes a tab for torque. Go to this site https://electricbike-blog.com/2017/...g-the-bafang-ultra-max-mid-drive-ebike-drive/ and scroll down for link to software. I am working towards setting my shred up to act more like my giant. No speed limits on the various levels other than the one set in the display, just varying amount of assist based on torque.
Did you ever finish this? I am interested in programming my rook but would like to know whats new in this. THANKS!

AZ,

There is a newer version of the software that includes a tab for torque. Go to this site https://electricbike-blog.com/2017/...g-the-bafang-ultra-max-mid-drive-ebike-drive/ and scroll down for link to software. I am working towards setting my shred up to act more like my giant. No speed limits on the various levels other than the one set in the display, just varying amount of assist based on torque.

super bummed that AltaShred never posted more about this. He had an awesome thread where he was making lots of progress, then it just stopped being updated. So close! I am thinking of buying a Shred, but want to tweak it and using Alta's experience as a baseline would be super helpful.

I just joined this forum since I am having trouble programming my 2022 Rook that I just purchased. This might be a newbie questions, but I purchased two different USB programming cables but can not make a connection to my new bike. The cable correctly shows up on my laptop as a COMM port and tries to connect, but no option to read settings after connecting. Any thoughts on why I can't connect? Did they change the Rook so it isn't programmable maybe? Thanks in advance.

Back