Reprogramming BBS02 750W on New Stunner X

Ridetoglide

Region
USA
Has anybody reprogrammed their controller? And if so what setting changes did you make and how were the results? I did a lot of research on programming before getting the bike and found these two gems….

https://electricbike-blog.com/2015/06/26/a-hackers-guide-to-programming-the-bbs02/

https://electricbike-blog.com/2015/...rying-your-controller-and-losing-your-sanity/

The author explains in detail all the settings and what they do. He illustrates the settings that are safe to change and the settings that are best left alone. When I received the bike the throttle and PAS were very jerky so I purchased the PC adaptor cable from Luna cycle, downloaded the program needed from the Biktrix website and reprogrammed the controller. These were the settings I changed:

Limit Current: (A) – I changed from 24 to 23

PAS Level Limit Current (%) Limit Speed (%)
0 0 0
1 10 44
2 20 51
3 30 58
4 40 65
5 50 72
6 60 79
7 70 86
8 85 93
9 100 100

Start Current (%): I changed from 40 to 10

Slow Start Mode (1 – 8): I changed from 5 to 4

Time of Stop (x10ms): I changed from 25 to 15

Current Decay (1 – 8): I changed from 8 to 6

Keep Current(%): I changed from 60 to 50

(On the Throttle Page)
Mode: I changed from Current to Speed

Designated Assist: I Changed from 9 to By Displays Command

Start Current(%): I changed from 10 to 5

Now I find the pedal assist is very smooth and works like a dream. The throttle still seems to be a little jerky from a full stop but I find that if I engage it slowly once the motor activates its smooth for the remainder of its travel.

Having all the speed setting percentages at a number less than 100 is weird but once I got used to how to use the pedal assist it works for me. Basically from what It seems like the speed% is percentage of motor rpm limit so for example if I am in assist 3 the percent limit is 58%, the controller will only provide assist up to 58% of total motor RPM which translates to a certain bike speed, which is a different speed for each gear, so as soon as I upshift the motor rpm drops below the assisted limit and the bike accelerates. Its weird but once I learned how to use it it worked well.

Has anybody changed any other settings which you felt were very beneficial?

Depicted Below are my current settings:

Attachments

• IMG_7046.JPG
    IMG_7046.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 476
  • IMG_7047.JPG
    IMG_7047.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 546
  • IMG_7048.JPG
    IMG_7048.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 451
Under Throttle Handle change mode to Current. It'll make throttle response smoother.

Under Throttle Handle change mode to Current. It'll make throttle response smoother.
Thank You!!! I will definitely try that. The Throttle handle set to SPEED is not horrible.... I just move the throttle a little, wait for the motor to engage, once its engaged the remainder of the travel is smooth. But I am definitely curious to see how it will work in CURRENT mode.

Are there any resources for programing a Stunner LT?
That's a great question, I did a lot of searching and could not find anything for programing a Bafang hub drive. Maybe Roshan from Biktrix could give you more information about programing the Stunner LT. The other possibility I thought of is maybe all the parameters can be programmed directly into the display.

That's a great question, I did a lot of searching and could not find anything for programing a Bafang hub drive. Maybe Roshan from Biktrix could give you more information about programing the Stunner LT. The other possibility I thought of is maybe all the parameters can be programmed directly into the display.
There are some basic instructions for programing the current version of the LT through its display, the 800s (https://support.biktrix.com/hc/en-us/articles/360031546071-Stunner-LT-Display-Quick-Start-800s-) However, they are relatively limited compared to the the type of programming that can be done with the Stunner X with the BBS02. If you have an older model, with an S830 or M5 display, there are fairly comprehensive instructions for these machines.

There has to be a way.... I would start a new thread in the Bafang section of this forum asking how to / if programing can be done on the Bafang 750 watt Hub motor

One of the big problems with getting programming info for the Stunner LT is that it is not clear which bafang motor it has. There are a lot of different Bafang 750w rear motors (https://bafang-e.com/en/oem-area/components/). There is the regular Bafang RM G060.750.DC 48V 750W rated at 80nm torque, which can also be tuned to 350w or 500w. There is also an upgraded version, the BAFANG – RM G062.750.DC rated at 85nm torque. Luna cycle sells a 48-52v 750w Geared Fat bare Motor (for rear wheel) which may be the same as the G062 upgraded version. If you watch the review of the LT posted on this site, and look at the specs for the motor posted by Biktrix (claiming 85nm torque), it appears that the LT has one of the later versions. However, unless Biktrix confirms, this is only a guess.

Are there any resources for programing a Stunner LT?
Unfortunately that depends on the version of controller you have with the Stunner LT. Some have bafang protocol and can be programmed as normal Bafang programming but others use KT/Lishui controllers which do not support programming.

Unfortunately that depends on the version of controller you have with the Stunner LT. Some have bafang protocol and can be programmed as normal Bafang programming but others use KT/Lishui controllers which do not support programming.
Thanks for the information. Can we tell which controller we have from the type of display on the bike. For instance my bike has an 800s, does that mean it uses the KT/Lishui controller? I wonder also, if there is a connection between the type of controller we have and the type of PAS on the bike. The LT apparently used to have just a cadence system and now uses a cadence plus torque system.

Thanks for the information. Can we tell which controller we have from the type of display on the bike. For instance my bike has an 800s, does that mean it uses the KT/Lishui controller? I wonder also, if there is a connection between the type of controller we have and the type of PAS on the bike. The LT apparently used to have just a cadence system and now uses a cadence plus torque system.
The connectors to the display would be female for Bafang compatible controllers. Male on others.
Also, on some incompatible controllers that have female connectors for display, the Bafang software won't connect via USB.

Has anybody reprogrammed their controller? And if so what setting changes did you make and how were the results? I did a lot of research on programming before getting the bike and found these two gems….

https://electricbike-blog.com/2015/06/26/a-hackers-guide-to-programming-the-bbs02/

https://electricbike-blog.com/2015/...rying-your-controller-and-losing-your-sanity/

The author explains in detail all the settings and what they do. He illustrates the settings that are safe to change and the settings that are best left alone. When I received the bike the throttle and PAS were very jerky so I purchased the PC adaptor cable from Luna cycle, downloaded the program needed from the Biktrix website and reprogrammed the controller. These were the settings I changed:

Limit Current: (A) – I changed from 24 to 23

PAS Level Limit Current (%) Limit Speed (%)
0 0 0
1 10 44
2 20 51
3 30 58
4 40 65
5 50 72
6 60 79
7 70 86
8 85 93
9 100 100

Start Current (%): I changed from 40 to 10

Slow Start Mode (1 – 8): I changed from 5 to 4

Time of Stop (x10ms): I changed from 25 to 15

Current Decay (1 – 8): I changed from 8 to 6

Keep Current(%): I changed from 60 to 50

(On the Throttle Page)
Mode: I changed from Current to Speed

Designated Assist: I Changed from 9 to By Displays Command

Start Current(%): I changed from 10 to 5

Now I find the pedal assist is very smooth and works like a dream. The throttle still seems to be a little jerky from a full stop but I find that if I engage it slowly once the motor activates its smooth for the remainder of its travel.

Having all the speed setting percentages at a number less than 100 is weird but once I got used to how to use the pedal assist it works for me. Basically from what It seems like the speed% is percentage of motor rpm limit so for example if I am in assist 3 the percent limit is 58%, the controller will only provide assist up to 58% of total motor RPM which translates to a certain bike speed, which is a different speed for each gear, so as soon as I upshift the motor rpm drops below the assisted limit and the bike accelerates. Its weird but once I learned how to use it it worked well.

Has anybody changed any other settings which you felt were very beneficial?

Depicted Below are my current settings:
Yeah I tried Karl’s special sauce as mentioned in the first blog post, right from the get go, so I can't compare it with stock. Saying that, I can't fault the way it behaves. Perhaps some of the comments in this thread will persuade me otherwise.

I’m still running EM3ev programming. Since 2014. All I have left are BBS01 motors and I’m a slow riding dork with no complaints. I wish I could say there are no pitfalls but the n00bs should be cautioned.

Late to the race, but I may be able to add something here. First, the Bafang geared hub motors rarely (if ever?) use Bafang controllers that are programmable like the Uart based Ultra and BBSXX mid drive motors. Would be really nice to see them start doing that IMHO.

I've never seen a KT controller used on a production bike. Not saying it's never been done, only that I've never seen or heard of one. Also, as I'm a big KT fan, I just recently checked to see if KT had anything available that was torque sensor compatible, and they do not.

Last, KT controllers, though they don't have the number of parameters available as the Ultra/BBSXX controllers have, they're very programmable by the end users, with no special tools or software required.

Bafang controllers that are programmable like the Uart based Ultra and BBSXX mid drive motors. Would be really nice to see them start doing that IMHO.
ebikes.ca for Bafang GD hubs and multi voltage settings. I’m loving using all of my batteries with a single controller. 36, 48, and 52V.

ebikes.ca for Bafang GD hubs and multi voltage settings. I’m loving using all of my batteries with a single controller. 36, 48, and 52V.
Are you talking about something that would need to use a CA-3 display? If so, I'll pass. If not, if you are talking about something compatible with/using the Bafang displays, I'd love to see a link?

Back