Ultra Tuning: Decoding the Pedal Assist Tab

smorgasbord

Region
USA
I was re-reading the available Bafang Ultra tuning guides/suggestions to see what they said about the Pedal Assist tab, which looks like this in the Windows Application:

Luna-PedalAssist.jpg

As I have posted before, most of these parameters seemed like they were left over from the legacy cadence-only-sensing motors Bafang makes (the BBS series). All the Ultra tuning guides I found that describe this tab included those cadence-sensing related descriptions, except one. It turns out the original Ultra tuner, Karl Gesslein, wrote in the first Ultra tuning guide ever published:

I spent a lot of time messing with these settings and as near as I can tell the Ultra Max seems to ignore most of the settings on the Pedal Assist screen.

And so, I'm going to postulate here that Gesslein was/is right and that the values for these 8 Pedal Tab settings don't matter for the Ultra motor:

Pedal Tab Parameters Not Used by UltraTorque Tab Spd Table Replacement
Start Current(%)MinCur(%)
Keep Current(%)KeepCur(%)
Current Decay(1-8)CurDecy
Startup Dgree (Signal No.)StarDegree
Slow-Start Mode(1-8)0 Speed Boost Time (x10mS)
Stop Decay(x10ms)N/A
Time of stop (x10ms)N/A
Work Mode (Angular Speed of pedal/wheel)N/A

The first 5 values from the Pedal Tab (above on the left) are replaced by the Torque Tab's Spd table values listed on the right, which have the additional ability to vary based on Wheel RPM (6 choices). The last 3 values listed above simply don't apply to a primarily torque-sensing motor.

For instance, a cadence-sensing applies power generally in proportion to the cadence - faster pedaling means more power. That makes getting started from a stand-still difficult since the pedals aren't moving and will start off slowly. Hence, the "Slow-Start Mode" parameter is needed.
Similarly, "Work Mode" affect the power based on angular speed, another cadence related parameter. I suspect that "Time of stop" and "Stop Decay" are also not needed when the motor know the torque being applied to the pedals.

So, that leaves us with just 3 variables to set in the Pedal Tab:
Pedal Type - "BB-sensor-32" seems to be the value everyone uses for the Ultra.
Disignated Assist - A mis-spelling of "Designated Assist." This is the PAS level to use. Almost everyone sets this to "By Display Command," which means simply that your display controls which PAS level you're at.
Speed Limited - You can hard-wire a bike speed limit at which the motor will essentially stop providing power here, or you can set it to "By Display Command," which again means that you can set this limit on your display. For some reason the EggRider is able to have values much higher than other displays (99 KPH), but I don't understand how that can be given that the value has to be passed to Bafang firmware, which has some limits in the values it can accept.

What I don't understand is why all of the other tuning guides that describe the Pedal Assist Tab for the Ultra motor carried over the BBS descriptions that Gesslein provided, especially since Gesslein did a bunch of testing and wrote himself that the values didn't matter.

Now, to be honest, I haven't done extensive testing of this myself. I did play with some values and didn't notice anything different, but then I don't have a stationary trainer with a calibrated power meter nor repeatable motor driver for the cranks, so it might be possible that the values do have some subtle effect, or only have an effect under special conditions. If anyone has any proof of that, I'd love to hear about it below. But for now, use any value that someone has recommended for those 8 and don't worry about changing them as you refine your tuning.

Last edited:
In case people are interested I came across this recent post by @circuitsmith on the Pedal Tab for BBSXX motors (not the Ultra):

It contains this explanatory diagram:
Screen Shot 2023-04-01 at 10.36.56 AM.png

Again, I don't believe any of these parameters affect how the torque-sensing Ultra works, but if you want to be "safe" you could set them according to how you'd like the Ultra to behave, just in case. The dotted lines probably refer to what happens when pedal cadence exceeds the Basic Tab's "Limit Spd(%)" setting, which is that current is reduced to "Keep Current(%)" over the "Current Decay(1-8)" time.

One way approach this is to use the equivalent Torque Tab values per Spd0-Spd100 range:
StarDegree replaces Startup Degree (and by default it's the lowest value, 1, which means fastest motor response when you start to pedal)
CurDecy replaces Current Decay
KeepCur(%) replaces Keep Current(%)

And separately,
0 Speed Boost Time (x10ms) replaces Slow Start Mode

I'm not yet sure how Return(Kg) factors into this. Other guides have documented it as: "minimum required pressure on pedal to keep PAS active. 0 provides Bafang default minimums," but then they've also documented KeepCur(%) as the current you get when Return(Kg) is activated, whatever that means. If that were true then KeepCur(%) would not be the torque-activated equivalent of Keep Current.

Last edited:
Reactions: rtp
In case people are interested I came across this recent post by @circuitsmith on the Pedal Tab for BBSXX motors (not the Ultra):

It contains this explanatory diagram:
View attachment 150769
Again, I don't believe any of these parameters affect how the torque-sensitive Ultra works, but if you want to be "safe" you could set them according to how you'd like the Ultra to behave, just in case. The dotted lines probably refer to what happens when pedal cadence exceeds the Basic Tab's "Limit Spd(%)" setting, which is that current is reduced to "Keep Current(%)" over the "Current Decay(1-8)" time.

One way approach this is to use the equivalent Torque Tab values per Spd0-Spd100 range:
StarDegree replaces Startup Degree (and by default it's the lowest value, 1, which means fastest motor response when you start to pedal)
CurDecy replaces Current Decay
KeepCur(%) replaces Keep Current(%)

And separately,
0 Speed Boost Time (x10ms) replaces Slow Start Mode

I'm not yet sure how Return(Kg) factors into this. Other guides have documented it as: "minimum required pressure on pedal to keep PAS active. 0 provides Bafang default minimums," but then they've also documented KeepCur(%) as the current you get when Return(Kg) is activated, whatever that means. If that were true then KeepCur(%) would not be the torque-activated equivalent of Keep Current.
I think a test can be easily done.
Set a (all) the parameters to one extreme... Test run cautiously
Then set it (them)to the opposite end and test again... and again, cautiously.
If they have any affect on the Ultra the results should be obvious.

I think a test can be easily done.
Set a (all) the parameters to one extreme... Test run cautiously
Then set it (them)to the opposite end and test again... and again, cautiously.
If they have any affect on the Ultra the results should be obvious.
That's what I've been doing, concentrating on the Torque and Basic Tabs first.

The issue with the Pedal Tab for me has been to know under what circumstances the parameters apply. For instance, TIL that the Pedal Tab's Keep Current and Current Decay only apply when the selected PAS level's Limit Spd(%) has been reached/exceeded by pedal cadence (for BBS motors). So, a bunch of testing with Limit Spd at 100% or at slower pedal cadences's wouldn't make those parameters active and would say they don't affect anything when under the right (difference) circumstances, they would. And then again, maybe Limit Spd(%) for the Ultra isn't triggered by pedal cadence like it is with the BBS motors. So, it gets harder to be definitive.

Smorg (A question for you),
I looked up that Egg Rider tuning/display control you talk about,
After checking the spec's, I find this information: (in BOLD PRINT),
Warning EggRider doesn't work with dual battery systems based on diodes.
If you see the Display Over Volt message please Stop using the display and Contact us via email.

So it appears that I will not be able to use this on my Wart Hog MD 750 e bike,
as it has dual batteries used at the same time, (when I change over to my Uart motor),
which are,
Battery: LG 48V 15 Ah Standard (Max 30 Ah Dual Battery Version) ?

Your thoughts and suggestions..............
Tia,
Don

Smorg
While waiting for your reply, I sent Egg Ridder an email and
I received a reply back from Egg Rider, (see below)
So I am blown out of the water for the Egg Ridder...........
Tia,
Don

Adrian A <[email protected]>​

12:46 PM (9 minutes ago)
to me

Hi Don,

Thank you for your message.

Yes, unfortunately, we are not compatible with dual batteries. We had some customers that fried their EggRiders because of this. If you are going to use an EggRider with dual batteries, then you will void your warranty.

If you need further assistance don't hesitate to contact us again!

Best Regards,
Adrian - EggRider Team

Lesson learned today..... If you have Designated Assist set to anything other than "By display command" the programming of all these settings across the tabs have a very minimal effect. Reset number ??? for me on the programming of the bike. Also another overlook on my part.

I'd be interested in hearing about any of these Pedal Assist Tab parameters (other than Pedal Type) actually affecting Ultra motor behavior.

I'd be interested in hearing about any of these Pedal Assist Tab parameters (other than Pedal Type) actually affecting Ultra motor behavior.
Ride your bike as is and play around in eco, then on designated assist, change it to 9 and ride. Let me know if you notice it being easier to ride. Not sure why I set it to that to be honest.

Ride your bike as is and play around in eco, then on designated assist, change it to 9 and ride. Let me know if you notice it being easier to ride. Not sure why I set it to that to be honest.
Yeah, Designated Assist to 9 will mean you're getting the full power of the motor regardless of the display's chosen level.

I already listed"Designated Assist" and "Speed Limit" as 2 of the 3 parameters that I believe do mean something to the Ultra Motor. I just tried, again, playing around with "Start Current" and "Slow-Start Mode" and couldn't tell any difference even though I varied both settings from their lowest values (0,1) to their highest values (7, 100), and recorded the Egg Rider App's dashboard display, which includes motor power output, speed, etc., so I could compare values versus time.

As I posed above, I believe "Start Current" is replaced by the Torque Tab's "MinCur," for which there are 6 values depending on the wheel rpm, and that "Slow-Start Mode" is replaced by the Torque Tab's "0 Speed Boost Time." I think what Bafang did is including the Pedal Tab precisely to get the 3 values I listed earlier, and didn't bother removing the other values - values which make sense for a cadence only sensing motor but not for a torque-sensing motor that has specific overlapping values based on applied pedal torque and wheel rpm.

That said, it is possible that my "normal" Torque Tab settings are masking the Pedal Tab effects. I suppose one could try setting MinCur to 100% for all 6 speed ranges and then see if Slow-Start Mode at 7 or 8 creates a ramp of power, but frankly I doubt it. If someone else wants to try that, I'd be interested in the results.

Last edited:
I understand that it makes sense that the pedal assisst nothing changes. But I tested again and when I set Time of stop to 1ms the motor only starts to support when I pedal very fast. This makes sense because if I pedal slowly a crank rotation takes longer than 1ms and in this time the motor stops working right?

I am currently not satisfied with my setting at all after I have changed something. He starts with very little pedal pressure already to push and also much too fast with full power. That was better with the Frey smooth setting but since I probably have to test everything again.

Can we consider again whether Stop Decay (x10ms), Time of stop (x10ms) and
Work Mode (Angular Speed of pedal/wheel) is really without function ?

This makes sense because if I pedal slowly a crank rotation takes longer than 1ms and in this time the motor stops working right?
As long as you're applying more than Start(kg) pressure (in the SPD0 column) and the crank is rotating you should be getting motor output at least at MinCur(%) levels multiplied by the Limited Current(%) setting of the PAS level you're in.

Crank rotation is detected with internal magnets and hall sensors and the resolution of that should be far less than a full crank rotation. This is why you can get output from the motor on just a small angular rotation of the cranks - you don't need a full crank rotation to get power.

Can you post your entire settings (ideally, screen grabs for all tabs) for us to look at?

I have more time soon and can test it again. Then I will also upload screenshots.
But it was in any case so if I have changed something in pedal assist and I mean it was time of stop, I got then only with very high cadence support from the engine. I dont know why because you explaining about hall sensors etc make sense. I even dont changed something in torque setting, only in Pedal assit and I get this problem.

The whole setting was annoying and time-consuming. I've read a lot here but would like to see it for example as in the guide from Frey smooth. Its easier to know how to adjust by screenshots. I drive in my other bike a M620 with Innotrace x1 controller which drives just fine..

Back