GPS - Anti theft devices

Ravi Kempaiah

Region
Canada
City
Halifax
I thought I would dedicate this thread to compiling all the available anti-theft devices.

I noticed a new device that will be released to the market at this Eurobike. It works on Bosch, Brose and Yamaha powered bikes and is powered directly by the main battery. Looks promising.

Last edited:
Powunity is exactly what I want but right now it's EU only. I haven't found a similar product for the US yet. Anyone have any info?

It would make sense for the motor manufacturers to offer an add-on product like this that would be native/integrated with their platform and software. A device internal to the motor could be a lot more difficult for thieves to find and defeat. Hope it becomes available in the US.

Powunity is exactly what I want but right now it's EU only. I haven't found a similar product for the US yet. Anyone have any info?

It says that they have one that is universal, but the info it’s in german and will google translate it another time.
And “It’smybike” is another company with only Germany data coverage for now.

boomerang-cyclotrac-gps-bike-security-marketing-overview-1200x800-c-default.jpg

View attachment 38018
What if they just take a hammer and destroy it ? It wouldn’t work afterwards... should have been made with a Steel/Ti case.

It says that they have one that is universal, but the info it’s in german and will google translate it another time.
And “It’smybike” is another company with only Germany data coverage for now.

Can you link me to the universal you mention of? I ask since everything I've read from that company is EU only, even stating "SIM card not replaceable" on some websites I've seen.

What if they just take a hammer and destroy it ? It wouldn’t work afterwards... should have been made with a Steel/Ti case.
Agreed, this is very obvious, which is good and bad. I'd rather have it hidden away in the off chance the bike is actually stollen, at least the thief wouldn't know there is a tracker installed. I have thought about possibly buying a Sherlock, dismantling it and installing it into the motor housing similar to powunity.

Agreed, this is very obvious, which is good and bad. I'd rather have it hidden away in the off chance the bike is actually stollen, at least the thief wouldn't know there is a tracker installed. I have thought about possibly buying a Sherlock, dismantling it and installing it into the motor housing similar to powunity.

I agree - for tracking/defeater type solutions they should be hidden - maybe drop it down the seat tube. Still, the best security is parking where people don't want to steal your bike in the first place while making the prospective job, if attempted, very unappealing to the average bike thief. Eliminate quick release attachments and secure your bike through the frame/rear wheel using a serious setup such as 3' of 10mm Pewag security chain secured by a Viro Panzer double shutter lock. If you go to Amsterdam you'll see Viros and security chains all over the place and there's a reason for that. They work.

Last edited:
For Boomerang, there is a video of a guy taking a hammer to it on their site. It was pretty tough and the alarm was going off. Kind of like the ADT signs, I'd prefer visibility on my security device to deter theft.

I have the V1 Boomerang and it is junk. I got it as part of sponsoring the Indiegogo for their V2, and the battery dies quickly, the device was sending delayed (by hours even with a sky view) SMS messages to notify me my bike was being move while locked (I was testing it), and the alarm went off after a long delay. I asked how to reset it and they gave me a phone number to send a SMS reset request to, but the reset request didn't work. Customer service offered to send me a new one, and when I followed up, they went dark. I know they are busy with V2 production, but that doesn't mean you can stop supporting your existing product or provide subpar customer service. *rant over*

Sherlock's shop is currently down. Are they still available for sale?

For Boomerang, there is a video of a guy taking a hammer to it on their site. It was pretty tough and the alarm was going off.

Here's the video:

They claimed "the owner" got a text message before real damage was done. Of course, with the unit eventually dead you're no longer able to track where it goes.

The push-pull of visible deterrent versus stealth tracking will go on forever. I'd rather have chain/lock plus audio alarm separate from tracking. That way you still get the visual and audio deterrents, but tracking retains a better chance of functioning longer.

One thing I didn't get on the Boomerang is with an "active" battery life of 10 hours - is that equivalent to the time the unit reports its GPS when alarmed? I know the sleep state battery life is many weeks, even months, but if the battery only lasts 10 hours when alarmed, seems like by the time the police take it seriously the crooks could have moved.

Here's the video:

They claimed "the owner" got a text message before real damage was done. Of course, with the unit eventually dead you're no longer able to track where it goes.

The push-pull of visible deterrent versus stealth tracking will go on forever. I'd rather have chain/lock plus audio alarm separate from tracking. That way you still get the visual and audio deterrents, but tracking retains a better chance of functioning longer.

One thing I didn't get on the Boomerang is with an "active" battery life of 10 hours - is that equivalent to the time the unit reports its GPS when alarmed? I know the sleep state battery life is many weeks, even months, but if the battery only lasts 10 hours when alarmed, seems like by the time the police take it seriously the crooks could have moved.

Sleep state for me was <7 days, so I can't imagine an armed would have that much life. Alas, my battery could have been compromised.

I agree - for tracking/defeater type solutions they should be hidden mini GPS devices - maybe drop it down the seat tube. Still, the best security is parking where people don't want to steal your bike in the first place while making the prospective job, if attempted, very unappealing to the average bike thief. Eliminate quick release attachments and secure your bike through the frame/rear wheel using a serious setup such as 3' of 10mm Pewag security chain secured by a Viro Panzer double shutter lock. If you go to Amsterdam you'll see Viros and security chains all over the place and there's a reason for that. They work.

I also installed a small tracker under my bicycle seat, and for security, I also equipped it with a combination lock. Double protection, in order to allow me to sleep peacefully.

So judging by the infographic on the videos posted, is the Powunity disabling motor/battery functionality entirely? Unfortunately I do not understand German.

So judging by the infographic on the videos posted, is the Powunity disabling motor/battery functionality entirely? Unfortunately I do not understand German.
Google translate! Works quite well...

I was thinking about getting something because I would be sad if my bike were stolen. I will look into the one that Ravi posted about because I have a Brose bike and it says it is compatible with those.

Back