Getting What You Need From a Cycling GPS

Djangodog

Region
USA
City
Claremont, NH
My hope here is that we can share the benefits that we derive from a cycling GPS and share tips and tricks as well as our experiences, good or bad.

I was an old school pilot and sailer, (pre GPS). I took pride in my navigational skills and I still rely on them when I kayak, (chart, watch, pre-planning and compass), but the using a GPS is as much about safety as it is convenience. My youngest daughter was a navigator in the Coast Guard. They used the finest navigational equipment available, but she still had to learn and practice using celestial navigation and dead reckoning in case it was needed. Using a modern tool and using skills are not mutually exclusive.

Some use their GPS for everything from cycling computer, navigation tool, training aid and eBike system monitor. Others use it as a very nice cycling computer. My use is somewhere in between. I don’t enjoy sensory overload.

I do use mine as a cycling computer with the added benefit of being able to review and track my training progress, (I still ride an “acoustic” road bike as well as my eBike). I also use mine for navigation and setting up courses using stored rides or the Connect App. I have been using a Garmin 830 Edge for three years, (I thought that it was four, but it turns out that it is only three). You can even review the saved course and graph the elevation and review the climbs before riding the course which is a huge benefit and helps to avoid a spoiled day, (no guarantee).

The 830 has many options that I do not use. They are not inexpensive, but they can greatly expand your enjoyment of cycling by allowing you to plan and save courses, (it’s also nice to know that you won’t get lost).

My wife and I use our Yamaha Cross Cores as flat bar gravel bikes and use them to explore our less traveled roads around the New Hampshire-Vermont border. It is very hilly and using google maps along with the GPS helps us to explore without getting into trouble.

My cockpit, (below). Garmin Out Front mount and 830 Edge computer. The image shown was takes during a climb using navigation. The graphs are color coded from green to red depending on difficulty. It also displays the remaining elevation and the average grade ahead, distance left of the climb and current altitude, (I had just completed the 17% portion).

E872FAB0-BB33-48D7-B4F2-5C13B5ECB249.jpeg

There are many available mounts. Some are dual purpose. This one has a GoPro mount on the underside. I made an adaptor that attaches the Yamaha light to the mount which cleaned up my handlebar and relocated my light to a better and protected area. Garmin also makes their own light that can be attached, or you can mount a GoPro there.

8FF47CA7-828F-4BF2-86CE-F3BC6FD8AD06.jpeg

Garmin makes a flashing light that has a radar that detects traffic coming from behind and displays it on the Garmin’s display, (Varia). The newest one has a rear facing camera that records the traffic, (it does not display it on the screen, but it can be used against an aggressive motorist if needed).

770EAD08-36C0-4263-BDCD-7238A66E94CA.jpeg

You can set up multiple screens and customize them to show your preferences. My road bike screens are very different from my eBike screens.

AE1D93DF-2618-46F5-96B8-74F986465D6B.jpeg

0EB62E89-8792-435A-A46E-A459468810F3.jpeg

I am very happy with my Garmin and I am enjoying it long after forgetting how much it cost. Please share your opinions, whatever they may be. If you have any tips to share or own an alternative GPS, please share that as well. If you thing that a cycling GPS is silly, please share that as well. To me, it is much more than a fancy gadget. It is a very versatile tool that helps me and my wife to explore and enjoy cycling more than we would have without, (kind of like an eBike, you can cycle without the motor, but sometimes it sure is a nice to have that modern convenience/fancy gadget).

Last edited:
Like @Djangodog I opted for a Garmin unit.
I decided to get an ANT+ capable unit to get some stats on the Giant Stance E as it has no display of its own. That and I had a desire for something with navigation capabilities.
I waffled between the Garmin Edge 830 and the 530 for a few days but ended up deciding on the 530. The reason I picked the 530 in the end was that I figured the touch screen would be less useful wearing gloves. The screen size is the same as the 830.
But... truth be told, were I to do it again I'd go for the 830 for three reasons.
1) The setup/modification of the device is way easier with a touch screen
2) Creating a course on the fly is waaaaaaaayyyy easier with a touch screen! I don't do this often, but I'd do it more with a touch screen.
3) Taking gloves off for a few seconds in the cold is no big deal.

After a couple of weeks of use I decided that adding a remote would be a great safety feature. When I want to see different/additional information I can get to those screens with the push of a button next to my right grip. This keeps my hands on the bars/grips instead of fumbling with buttons on the unit, or the touch screen.
Happy with the unit. It has been flawless and is regularly updated.
Still though, a touch screen would be better for me. YMMV...

The three button remote on the right side...
Top blue button starts and stops recording your ride.
Bottom left starts a new "loop"
Bottom right changes the pages of info on your display.

I use the standard mount for the 530. I figure it's the safest if I take a tumble.

May I suggest you put "Garmin devices" in the subject heading.

Cheers
I appreciate the suggestion, but hadn’t really intended the thread to be limited to Garmin. The Garmin was my choice, but I was hoping to have broad input. There are more options now than when I bought mine, although I have no regrets and am not lusting after a replacement, (no yet anyway).

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing that feedback on your head units, guys. Will no doubt help when my 520 + finally bites the dust. My only concern would be how the touchscreen functions in extremely frigid temps as I've never had to worry about that with the side buttons. So far, I’m pretty happy with it even though battery life has diminished somewhat but that’s pretty well a given considering it’s an older version. I also like its small footprint as it takes up very little space on the bars. I use it mainly for keeping a record of ride metrics (not so much for nav) on all of my bikes including my Levo. I’ve learned from the past not to have a front mount on an emtb as I’ve torn off the plastic tabs on the back cover during a fall and was forced to replace it with an aluminum mounting plate. Still works and has proven itself to be quite a reliable unit. I use a K-edge stem mount on the Levo and rotate it so that it doesn’t interfere with access to the Swat tool module.

IMG_20220517_1142079.jpg

IMG_20220517_1141319.jpg

1658229239001.png

The primary functionality of my Wahoo ELEMNT Roam is the display for my both Specialized e-bikes. The GPS navigation comes next. I typically plan my routes in RideWithGPS and seamlessly transfer my routes to the Roam (either via the Companion App or directly from my home WiFi). At times, I ask my ELEMNT Companion App to plan the shortest and safe route home or to a new, unexpected destination. (On very rare occasions, I directly point a place on a device map as my destination).

I hardly use the Climbing screen and leave that to my brother riding a Giant Trance E+ 2 Pro with Garmin Edge 530, as the climbing functionality is superior for Garmin. However, climbing is only important for me on our mountain e-biking vacation.

Could I choose again, I would have gone with a Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt v2. Sacrificing very little compared to the Roam, the new Bolt has USB-C charging, far more memory, better screen colours, and elevation data stored in the maps.

The reason I chose a Wahoo were the large, solid and reliable buttons. The ELEMNT configuration is done solely on a smartphone.

Today was a good day to stay close to the air conditioner, so of course, I went for a ride. It was a new course and I should have been back home before the real heat of the day. The ride was supposed to be just under 20 miles with a little more than 2,000 feet of climbing, but due to some incorrect data, the ride was 36 miles with nearly 4,000 feet of climbing. What should have been a dirt road turned into a logging road, then single track and eventually a rocky stream bed, with about 2 1/2 miles of taking the bike for a walk. The trail never intersected with the next road, but I did find my way out.

The worst part was the moose flies, (green eyed monsters, otherwise known as New Hampshire’s other state bird). When you are riding at any speed or if there is a good breeze, they are not a problem, but if you are taking your bike for a walk through the woods, they will eat you alive, (mostly on your back and shoulders where you can’t reach them).

Long story over, the gps can only use the data that is available and google maps is not perfect, especially when exploring gravel roads. I can’t fault my Garmin and I can’t completely fault google maps. It’s just one of those things. I am glad that I had a second water bottle in the back of my jersey.

It’s all part of the adventure. You can never be 100% dependent on the gps and you should always be prepared, (also, turn around before it becomes a stream bed).

View attachment 129482
The primary functionality of my Wahoo ELEMNT Roam is the display for my both Specialized e-bikes. The GPS navigation comes next. I typically plan my routes in RideWithGPS and seamlessly transfer my routes to the Roam (either via the Companion App or directly from my home WiFi). At times, I ask my ELEMNT Companion App to plan the shortest and safe route home or to a new, unexpected destination. (On very rare occasions, I directly point a place on a device map as my destination).

I hardly use the Climbing screen and leave that to my brother riding a Giant Trance E+ 2 Pro with Garmin Edge 530, as the climbing functionality is superior for Garmin. However, climbing is only important for me on our mountain e-biking vacation.

Could I choose again, I would have gone with a Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt v2. Sacrificing very little compared to the Roam, the new Bolt has USB-C charging, far more memory, better screen colours, and elevation data stored in the maps.

The reason I chose a Wahoo were the large, solid and reliable buttons. The ELEMNT configuration is done solely on a smartphone.
The Wahoo Roam seems like it’s been working well for you, Stefan. I like its compact size and the fact that some of the hardware buttons are located on the front of the device which likely makes scrolling through screens much easier. One caveat on my 520 + is that the side buttons can be a tad awkward to operate when trying to accomplish the same task. Bigger screen size is nice for nav but I kind of prefer mine on a smaller scale particularly when riding the trails. I have a mtb buddy who has his smart phone attached to a front mount and I would be beside myself if I were to have a device sticking out that far. I do have the mastermind TCD on the Levo which essentially can provide the same data but I find it far easier to read the display on the Garmin. When I'm on the road with the Creo, I rely soley on the 520.

I also like how the Wahoo supports Varia but still prefer how it's displayed on the Garmin which indicates approaching vehicles as dots on the side of the screen delivering me a clear, concise and audible heads-up alert. I’ve been using the My Bike Radar Traffic app which provides data such as vehicle count as well as approach/absolute speeds through Garmin Connect. The 520 + is also paired to my Bontrager Flare helmet mounted rear light which is automatically activated once I begin moving. I may not be the most tech savy guy but I do appreciate convenience. 👍

Even though the Bolt V2 it is Ant + and Bluetooth capable, I wonder how intuitively it pairs with Garmin's power meter pedals such as the Rally XC100/200. I have gotten a lot of use from my own Garmin but may feel compelled to Bolt ;)over to the competition when that time arrives. Will keep an eye on things to come.

I’m to cheap to buy a GPS unit and use my IPhone with an app called Ride With GPS to track my rides. I really do it for the info such as pace and VAM and distance traveled as the controller on my bike is pretty limited.

I’m to cheap to buy a GPS unit and use my IPhone with an app called Ride With GPS to track my rides. I really do it for the info such as pace and VAM and distance traveled as the controller on my bike is pretty limited.
I hear ya. I did 2 years with my Android and Strava app.

Even though the Bolt V2 it is Ant + and Bluetooth capable, I wonder how intuitively it pairs with Garmin's power meter pedals such as the Rally XC100/200.
No idea. As you know, I do not use power pedals. Why shouldn't it work though? My Vados deliver the power signal from the e-bike, and that should not be any different for ANT+ power pedals.

Interestingly, you only need to connect the E-Bike sensor to the Wahoo to get all the information. The other sensors remain available but (unlike for Garmin) do not need to be connected. I think the other sensors (Power, Speed, Cadence, whatever) are for the use with more traditional devices such as power pedals etc.

use my IPhone with an app called Ride With GPS to track my rides
Regarding the smartphone, I perceive it as the ultimate GPS bike computer (and also the display for pre-Mastermind Specialized e-bikes). However, the smartphone:
  • Has a short battery life compared to Garmin or Wahoo
  • Takes a lot of space on the bars
  • Is vulnerable to crashes
  • Is unreliable during raining
  • Is hard to operate in thick gloves.
All these reasons made me totally resign from using the smartphone as a handlebars device.

With my IPhone and app I really don’t need to see it during my ride, just see the stats after I’m done. I use to just ride with it in my bag. My wife got me a handlebar mount so I use that now. It is vulnerable in a crash. They make gloves that work with a touch screen but it’s not important enough to me, if I really need to look at it I just stop.

With my IPhone and app I really don’t need to see it during my ride, just see the stats after I’m done. I use to just ride with it in my bag. My wife got me a handlebar mount so I use that now. It is vulnerable in a crash. They make gloves that work with a touch screen but it’s not important enough to me, if I really need to look at it I just stop.
Half of my activity related to the smartphone was the GPS navigation, and the other half was monitoring the performance of my Vados. I said good-bye to it after I bought the Wahoo.
Your needs might be different of course.

1658322754620.png

February 2022 was the last time I used a smartphone on my bars. It was simply occupying too much of bar space!

Phones have come a long way and can probably do most if not all of what the GPS can do. Water damage and vulnerability are two of the downsides. If my bar mounted GPS gets damaged from a crash, I can still call for help using my phone, (provided that it didn’t get damaged and was hopefully in a safe location). If a bar mounted phone gets damaged in a crash, you may not have a phone when you need it most.

Phones also tend to be a bit bulky. They generally cost more than a GPS and I try to make mine last. That said, they are still a good alternative if the downsides are not an issue for you.

The newer Garmin Varia will also pair to an iPhone. Phones are replacing a lot of devices these days. Pretty amazing to someone that remembers party lines and rotary dials. The “gadget” that didn’t exist very long ago is now indispensable to most. I would like to hear more from phone users, good or bad.

Last edited:
Phones have come a long way and can probably do most if not all of what the GPS can do. Water damage and vulnerability are two of the downsides. If my bar mounted GPS gets damaged from a crash, I can still call for help using my phone, (provided that it didn’t get damaged and was hopefully in a safe location). If a bar mounted phone gets damaged in a crash, you may not have a phone when you need it most.

Phones also tend to be a bit bulky. They generally cost more than a GPS and I try to make mine last. That said, they are still a good alternative if the downsides are not an issue for you.

The newer Garmin Varia will also pair to an iPhone. Phones are replacing a lot of devices these days. Pretty amazing to someone that remembers party lines and rotary dials. The “gadget” that didn’t exist very long ago is now indispensable to most. I would like to hear more from phone users, good or bad.
I occasionally use a smartphone mounted on the handlebar to augment the bike's display. The mounted phone is never my current one but an old superceded one and running a cheap prepaid SIMM.

The phone mount is close to and across the handlebar so less vulnerable than when mounted on an outrigger. Rain damage has not been a problem.

The handlebar mounted phone is only used in special situations. For example when I need additional navigation information, in particular topography. The phone is also sometimes used to transmit my location live to my private site for interested friends, and for safety reasons (hence the SIMM).

Cheers

Half of my activity related to the smartphone was the GPS navigation, and the other half was monitoring the performance of my Vados. I said good-bye to it after I bought the Wahoo.
Your needs might be different of course.

February 2022 was the last time I used a smartphone on my bars. It was simply occupying too much of bar space!
After getting a Garmin watch (not just for cycling), I took the quad lock off my handlebars.

The Garmin watch collects my biometrics, as well as better GPS data than my phone did, as well as e-bike data via ANT+ (using Steps EMTB data fields widget which can be configured to show different metrics) once I start the "bike ride" activity.

Even considering ditching the Shimano display out for their display-free junction box.

The watch even shows battery charge in PERCENTAGE!

Back