Getting What You Need From a Cycling GPS

An important thing is how do you use the gps. I use it to document my rides and very rarely to navigate. With my rides I’ve never felt like I was going to get lost so other tHan curiosity on say my average speed, my phone can just stay in sleep mode until I’m done with my ride.

Haha! I just got the Garmin 830 too, and it's charging right now. It was either that or the Explore 2, but from what I read the 830 is better for Strava Live Segments and ClimbPro, so went with the 830.
I've no clue as to what Strava, strava live segments or climbpro is.......but this I did stumble upon in a little research between the 530 and 830: The 530 is accessed by buttons on the side while the 830 uses the touch screen. More important to me is that the 830's mapping has the ability to take you to the actual street address you want to go to, while the 530 does not. Not actually a deal killer, that one, but it sold me.

Good luck with your new 830!

Haha! I just got the Garmin 830 too, and it's charging right now. It was either that or the Explore 2, but from what I read the 830 is better for Strava Live Segments and ClimbPro, so went with the 830.
As a matter of fact, Strava has never made the E-Bike Live Segments available to any third party. You may get traditional Live Segments on your Edge but these work with 530, too. ClimbPro is already excellent on the 530.

A question to Garmin Edge touch-screen computers:
So you have Paused your ride, secured the e-bike with a U-Lock and go for a coffee of grocery shipping. To avoid theft, you also remove Garmin from your bars, put in in the pocket, and... What then? Is the touch-screen Garmin safe? Won't is Resume the ride? Because the buttons on Wahoo ELEMNT computers are so solid, these cannot be pressed otherwise than by a finger press.

As a matter of fact, Strava has never made the E-Bike Live Segments available to any third party. You may get traditional Live Segments on your Edge but these work with 530, too. ClimbPro is already excellent on the 530.

So you have Paused your ride, secured the e-bike with a U-Lock and go for a coffee of grocery shipping. To avoid theft, you also remove Garmin from your bars, put in in the pocket, and... What then? Is the touch-screen Garmin safe? Won't is Resume the ride? Because the buttons on Wahoo ELEMNT computers are so solid, these cannot be pressed otherwise than by a finger press.
You can press one button, then choose "lock screen" from the touchscreen.

You can press one button, then choose "lock screen" from the touchscreen.
if you just press the power buttin it will go to sleep. hold it to choose. this was the biggest issue I have with the wahoo. you would ether have to go through screens and lock the screen but the garmin is still ocnnected and going off in your pocket. ir you need to power it down and then wait for it to reboot irs really slow.

Some of you may be interested in examples of customised screens available on the Bosch Nyon display.

The screens and tiles are merely a selection of what I find useful from a wider range of options.

The navigation screen shows an overlay of range estimate given current riding mode, battery level and topography.

The different screen colours are according to assist mode.

(The pattern distortions are in camera)

20220730_144911.jpg

20220730_144941.jpg

20220730_145004.jpg

20220730_145032.jpg

20220730_145057.jpg

20220730_145116.jpg

20220730_145128.jpg

20220730_145149.jpg

Attachments

• 20220730_145057.jpg
    20220730_145057.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 132
this was the biggest issue I have with the wahoo. you would ether have to go through screens and lock the screen
I am not aware of what you're talking about now. On either of my ELEMNTs, I just press the middle button to Pause the ride. Then I just remove the Wahoo from my bars and put it into my pocket. The computer stays connected, and no need to lock the screen. I often spend an hour in a supermarket, and it has never happened to me the computer got Resumed without my knowledge.

It is good that Garmin provided a simple way of locking the screen on the touchscreen models!

Some of you may be interested in examples of customised screens available on the Bosch Nyon display.

The screens and tiles are merely a selection of what I find useful from a wider range of options.

The navigation screen shows an overlay of range estimate given current riding mode, battery level and topography.

The different screen colours are according to assist mode.

(The pattern distortions are in camera)

View attachment 130605
I wish they had the same indicator on your HR as they do for speed and cadence and such.

Sometimes it’s nicer when you don’t know how steep it is. It only displayed up to 19%, then went to compass heading. It displayed a heat advisory warning at just over 11 miles this morning. It also warned me that I had a sharp turn ahead when I was going a bit fast down a steep hill. It really is much more than just a navigation device or a bike computer. It’s also a weather station and can warn you of hazards ahead.

View attachment 129954
I have the same units you do on my handlebar; just got the Garmin. Do you know if you can link the Yamaha controller to the Garmin? I know you can on some other bikes.

Lock the screen on the 830...one button press (power button and choose LOCK SCREEN... another lesson learned the hard way. :cool:

I have the same units you do on my handlebar; just got the Garmin. Do you know if you can link the Yamaha controller to the Garmin? I know you can on some other bikes.
With the Ridecontrol Ergo on my Giant, I can link them. I am pretty sure it's using the ANT+ protocol.
I can view Assist level and E-bike Battery stats - not sure about cadence, but typically I don't care about that.

There are some pretty handy YouTube videos on setting up your Garmin.
Here's one

I'm still working out my preferred screens.

I can view Assist level and E-bike Battery stats - not sure about cadence, but typically I don't care about that.
You can get many parameters such as Cadence and Power. With Garmin Edge, you just have to add all sensors available on your Giant.
Yamaha e-bikes might not be LEV Ant+ compatible: the RideControl remote is a Giant, not Yamaha thing I guess.

Garmin and Wahoo name Giant and Specialized e-bikes as LEV ANT+ compatible ones.

on speed and cadence and such you have the little speedometer showing you when you're above to below your average. but not on your HR for some reason.
Your current, average and maximum HR are displayed (can have then all on same screen). The average value is presumably for rides since the last trip reset (mine resets every day).

Does this, at least partially satisfy, what you require?

Well unfortunately my sweaty fingers didn't work well with the Garmin 830 touchscreen on long, humid rides 😅 🙄, so immediately returned it. May miss some of the Garmin specific features. Just ordered a Wahoo Bolt v2. Like the bigger font size and more screen display customization options, and the buttons, with the Wahoo. Think that will work out better for me.

I have been following this thread with great interest, as I am thinking of getting a computer for my Vado SL 5 eq. Currently I use the Mission Control's Ride feature via my iPhone. I also have the Specialized dedicated Ride App that allows me to view all of my metrics, when the ride is over. That is to say cadence, power, heart rate, speed, elevation etc. All plotted out on a map to show where I have ridden. My thinking is that all these metrics are coming an LEV sensor somewhere in my bike. My gripe about the Ride App is that you can only review the data after the ride is completed; one doesn't seem to be able to view the data on the fly, unless you use the TCD unit. Also Mission Control doesn't have a route planning feature with turn by turn instructions; so you have to know where you are going. So I have to use Komoot of Footpath to create my routes. All this seem over the top, when Specialized hold all the information that I need. I just need the Ride App to allow me to plan rides and show me my metrics as I pedal along. Yes I know the I can go on line to ride.specialized.com and create a route, but I haven't yet worked out how transfer them to my iPhone. I was riding along a few months ago and had a blackout. After all manner of tests: Angiogram, EGC, Ultrasounds etc I am having Pacemaker fitted. I am 74 so anything to keep me safe and stop my wife from worrying about me, when I am out on my Vado would be a real bonus. If I have to ditch the Ride App and go third party, I think I will go for the Edge 830.

I was riding along a few months ago and had a blackout. After all manner of tests: Angiogram, EGC, Ultrasounds etc I am having Pacemaker fitted. I am 74 so anything to keep me safe and stop my wife from worrying about me, when I am out on my Vado would be a real bonus.
If you don't have one, you may be well served to have a fitness tracker or smart watch. Anything from an Apple Watch, to a Fitbit Charge 5, or others ... for example, the latter can provide helpful data on heart rate, heart rate variability, breathing rate, sleep quality, etc. Really interesting and or useful data.

If you don't have one, you may be well served to have a fitness tracker or smart watch. Anything from an Apple Watch, to a Fitbit Charge 5, or others ... for example, the latter can provide helpful data on heart rate, heart rate variability, breathing rate, sleep quality, etc. Really interesting and or useful data.
Yes, I have an Apple Watch 6, so it has the fall detection feature; although it was enabled, it did not activate when I blacked out and toppled over. Apparently, I have a trifisicular block, which means my heart does not always pump as well as it should. I am having a pace maker fitted which will smooth things out. But thank you for your suggestion.

Back