GPS - Anti theft devices

While these GPS / cellular security devices do offer some layer of protection, defeating them is surprisingly easy. Smart thieves are using Faraday blankets and GPS jammers to avoid detection. As a result, other tracking systems are being developed such as the Sigfox IoT network.

https://www.sigfox.com/en/news/can-thieves-outsmart-your-vehicles-tracking-system

If a criminal agency decides at their villainous clubhouse whiteboard that they want to conduct a fully orchestrated "Italian Job", specifically on my $1000 bike, disregarding all the easier targets... i.e. rolling up in a panel van, under the cover of darkness, loaded with circus gymnasts, 10lb 48" bolt cutters, dry ice, sledgehammers, blow torches, angle grinders, and does all of this cartwheeling with laser goggles under an enormous faraday blanket, then, well done to you sirs & madames, I hereby surrender my bike to you with my complements....and unless they plan to permanently wrap up my $49 Boomerang V2 in their $139 blanket, I'd probably still get a text message about it with tracking.

Goldconch, I think your point, maybe one of them, is that if someone wants your bike bad enough, they're gonna get it. I agree with the idea that the best defense is at least a couple of u-locks/heavy duty chains, and leaving your bike in a sensible place. Still, one more level of deterrence (an alarm) and a potential recovery aid (GPS tracking) sounds good to me. I just haven't seen a wonderful implementation of that yet. Keeping my eyes open though.

TT

I agree, if someone wants your bike badly, they will get it. Still, there was an encouraging report from one of NYC Forum members not long time ago. His US$ 10k Stromer e-bike reported a theft. A strong U-lock survived; it was the fence steel bar that was cut by the thief instead. The user was running in his slippers tracking the bike's position via the GPS while calling the NYPD. The thief could not ride the Stromer as the bike was locked. Shortly, the thief tried to dismantle the bike but the screws were non-standard. The guy was apprehended by the police even not in half an hour and the bike was recovered.

If someone wants to steal a $1000 bike, bad luck. Worse when the e-bike is five grands or more.

Goldconch, I think your point, maybe one of them, is that if someone wants your bike bad enough, they're gonna get it. I agree with the idea that the best defense is at least a couple of u-locks/heavy duty chains, and leaving your bike in a sensible place. Still, one more level of deterrence (an alarm) and a potential recovery aid (GPS tracking) sounds good to me. I just haven't seen a wonderful implementation of that yet. Keeping my eyes open though.

TT

I bought the $50, 5” Boomerang V2 that secures front and center to bottle cage with tamper-resistant screws, internal accelerometer, LTE real-time messaging, loud alarm with armed blinking red LED, OnStar-like impact detection and notifications, route tracking, etc. 10hr armed sensitivity, refreshing every 15secs, or 2-3mos standby. Is there anything better than that out there in 2020?

* Update * Still waiting for fulfillment of Boomerang V2 in March...lastest target from Boomerang is May 2020 shipping.

Last edited:
The thief could not ride the Stromer

I'm wating maybe 1 mo' year and if no other company comes with a strong feature as Stromer had , i will have to buy one just for this anti -theft feature.
The issue is their proprietary stuff , some reliability problems and customer service in US not that great from what can be read online.

In my case , 2 Abus locks are almost 10kg and an Abus disck lock (1kg), alarm and Gps inside the frame. Gps 4G is 20$/month for 45sec. notifications.
With Stromer i think it is already payed ?

A mini drone(5-10mm) with a wireless camera and motion sensing capabilities able to set up a fence perimeter around the ebike would be the ultimate anti-theft device.
With a strong 10kw laser ? or Taser that can be activated from an app , in case someone is brave enough. But the wifi camera with fence perimeter , alarm and instant notification should be sufficient.
4 of those mini drones would be less then 400grams hovering above the ebike ready to strike of necessary.

Copyright@ebiker01

I bought the $50, 5” Boomerang V2 that secures front and center to bottle cage with tamper-resistant screws, internal accelerometer, LTE real-time messaging, loud alarm with armed blinking red LED, OnStar-like impact detection and notifications, route tracking, etc. 10hr armed sensitivity, refreshing every 15secs, or 2-3mos standby. Is there anything better than that out there in 2020?
That sounds pretty good. 10 hours seems short to me. I don't see cops jumping on a stolen bike case in 10 hours and I don't know if I'm going to chase bad guys on my own. Overall, it does sound pretty good though.

No one has mentioned insurance. I have insurance on my bike, so I think I have a pretty good bottom line, not for theft, but for recovery. I forget, it costs about the same per year as a couple of good Abus locks and covers a lot more than theft.

TT

A mini drone(5-10mm) with a wireless camera and motion sensing capabilities able to set up a fence perimeter around the ebike would be the ultimate anti-theft device.
With a strong 10kw laser ? or Taser that can be activated from an app , in case someone is brave enough. But the wifi camera with fence perimeter , alarm and instant notification should be sufficient.
4 of those mini drones would be less then 400grams hovering above the ebike ready to strike of necessary.

Copyright@ebiker01
I like it, but drones are only up for what, about 20 minutes at a time? Not long enough for lunch!

TT

That sounds pretty good. 10 hours seems short to me. I don't see cops jumping on a stolen bike case in 10 hours and I don't know if I'm going to chase bad guys on my own. Overall, it does sound pretty good though.

No one has mentioned insurance. I have insurance on my bike, so I think I have a pretty good bottom line, not for theft, but for recovery. I forget, it costs about the same per year as a couple of good Abus locks and covers a lot more than theft.

TT
Insurance can be a good precaution, but if not a bike-specific cover letter check your policy fine print. Some home owners’ notes will only cover if theft is from your locked garage or home (Ie you were taking reasonable care and precaution), not necessarily curbside or public rack elsewhere (work). In any case, the bike with the ominous black orb and flashing LED, says move along to something easier. The accelerometer activates once the bike moves, so 2-3mos standby doing nothing, and then it moves and it’s on the map. With or without alarm actively on.

I like it, but drones are only up for what, about 20 minutes at a time? Not long enough for lunch!

TT

good point, no drones then😉; just cameras with a portable/easy to use fixture to attach to poles, etc.
They have to be small cameras along with the other features ! Remotely controlled Taser especially.

Copyright@ebiker01

Copyright@ebiker01
Now that is a great imagination for the ultimate E-bike security. Putting it together for yourself with a simulated demo would be quite impressive. Thinking outside the box has its merits on this setup!

Now that is a great imagination for the ultimate E-bike security. Putting it together for yourself with a simulated demo would be quite impressive. Thinking outside the box has its merits on this setup!

-need funding, time and possible other people involved in order to make a project like that as a prototype for beginning.

Insurance can be a good precaution, but if not a bike-specific cover letter check your policy fine print. Some home owners’ notes will only cover if theft is from your locked garage or home ...
That's my homeowner's policy. My bike insurance is bike insurance from Markel. It covers theft w/replacement cost coverage, medical, crash damage, vandalism, collision, etc. I think the peace of mind is worth it.

TT

Interesting article. Thanks for posting.

I wish the author had described the lock he used and how the thief disabled it. Depending on how it was done, It's hard to tell if multiple locks would have helped him or not. I hope he reported the recovery to the police else he risk getting arrested for stealing his own bike.

I've known for some time that pinhead wheel locks may prevent a thief from stealing your wheels on the spot, but most thieves don't know what they are. They steal the bike first and find out later about the wheel locks. Other than making the bike less likely to be chopped, this doesn't help much.

Back