Distance/Speed Accuracy: Map vs. GPS vs. E-Bike Display: Serious Discussion Needed

The stuff in your phone is still quite good but is generally is considered 10 meter accuracy, although it often does better.
The phone GPS amazes me sometime. With the phone in my pocket, we went for walk in a refuge yesterday. I tracked us so we knew how far we walked. We walked on a 2 track road (tracks ~5' apart), different track each way and it showed 2 tracks. Walked off the track to pee, showed a blip on that track.

When we open google maps in the house and locate, even if we are away from windows, it slowly locates us within about 10' in a couple minutes. If we go into room with skylights, location moves around room as we do.

Who needs LASER guidance to hit someone with a missle?

On top of all this stuff,
You have Displays that are locked and can't be changed,
and are OFF in speed/distance limits via at least 3.2mph,
I haven't figured out the distance errors yet.
My tires measure 31.5" diameter and the Display is locked at 26" diameter?.
That is the reason I use my Garmin 60cxs for distance and speed,
it's more accurate than the display.......... even thought of being...LOL.

On top of all this stuff,
You have Displays that are locked and can't be changed,
and are OFF in speed/distance limits via at least 3.2mph,
I haven't figured out the distance errors yet.
My tires measure 31.5" diameter and the Display is locked at 26" diameter?.
That is the reason I use my Garmin 60cxs for distance and speed,
it's more accurate than the display.......... even thought of being...LOL.
Absolute speedo/odo accuracy makes very little difference to me. Nice to be accurate, but not critical to anything I'm doing with a bike.

The phone GPS amazes me sometime. With the phone in my pocket, we went for walk in a refuge yesterday. I tracked us so we knew how far we walked. We walked on a 2 track road (tracks ~5' apart), different track each way and it showed 2 tracks. Walked off the track to pee, showed a blip on that track.

When we open google maps in the house and locate, even if we are away from windows, it slowly locates us within about 10' in a couple minutes. If we go into room with skylights, location moves around room as we do.

Who needs LASER guidance to hit someone with a missle?

...and the latest iPhones (and presumably others?) have highly augmented positioning services, using cell network and wifi data as needed to lock down positions where GPS struggles.

...and the latest iPhones (and presumably others?) have highly augmented positioning services, using cell network and wifi data as needed to lock down positions where GPS struggles.
If I'm not wrong, cell network and wifi assistance have been present in smartphones for a while now. At least in Android phones. The name is A-GPS (assisted GPS).

Back