Got hooked on ebikes after trying an electric bike share rental.

fnord

Hi,
I've always loved bicycling, but with the hills in my city and not wanting to get sweaty before work, I stopped biking... that is until I tried a electric bike share we have here in SF.

So much fun. Now I want to go buy one for myself. I've tried a couple models out and surprisingly they weren't as fun as the bike share bike. The ones I tried had mid-drives and the bikeshare has a hub drive, maybe that's the difference. I'm sure I'll find something that works.

BTW, does anyone know the specs on the ebikes that Jump uses for their bikeshare?

The JUMP has a 250 watt front hub with a 19mph top speed. If you plan to ride those SF hills, a 250 watt mid-drive will be a LOT stronger than a 250w hub.

The Faraday would be pretty similar to the Jump bike since they have the same motor. You could also try a Stromer if you want a little extra Umpf. Centerdrive motors will generally be more efficient, but you will have to shift in order for then to work effectively. Maybe that was the missing piece?

Thanks all.

I test rode a 2017 Bulls Lacuba Evo E45 today. Much more powerful than the jump, but didn't seem as fun. Maybe it's the riding position, I don't know. Rented a Jump today just to check and yup, it was still fun :)

Going to see if I can try a Vintage Electric Cafe somewhere next.

I'll be curious what you think, if you get to ride the Cafe, @fnord -- their main shop / assembly is in Santa Clara, if I recall...
I received mine at the beginning March... and I'm loving it! I've logged about 162 miles on it so far (which is about 152 miles more than my lifetime total biking!) and I will actually, finally run my first office commute day "in real time" tomorrow morning.

Back