Giant SyncDrive Pro 2020 "tuning"

I also have a 2020 model. Syncdrive sport though. My chip works, but not when the auto mode is selected. Not a big deal, cause auto mode s*cks.

contacted the resellers and seems like I am the only one with this issue.
Strange, but then again it doesn’t bother me at all.

I think I may have solved this.

There is a setting where you turn the bike down to 0 and then hold the assist button down and press the light button 6 times really quickly and release the assist button.

I had a quick go earlier and it certainly seems as if something has changed but the heavens opened and so it will have to wait for tomorrow now.

I will keep the thread updated just in case anyone else has the same problems and finds this thread 🤞 👍

Just an update for anyone in the UK trying to activate the Volspeed and possibly Speedbox on a Giant.
If it wont activate you need to follow the attached and then the chip will activate and derestrict the bike 👍
EC1D9559-3C86-4844-9B86-2E0E77DCF673.jpeg.jpg

Installed new Badassbox 4 to my 2020 Explore E+. Insert battery, slide on speed sensor and swap out old spoke magnet with new supplied magnet. 5 minutes and I'm off and riding, No switches to set, LCD error codes to reset or complicated button sequence to push. Provides pedal assist no matter the speed. Perfect.

I also have a 2020 model. Syncdrive sport though. My chip works, but not when the auto mode is selected. Not a big deal, cause auto mode s*cks.

contacted the resellers and seems like I am the only one with this issue.
Strange, but then again it doesn’t bother me at all.
The Auto mode works derestricted with my Volspeed V2 & 2020 SyncDrive Pro

Hi All,

I have a Giant Fastroad E+2 year 2020 (25km/h restriction) .. has anyone try to hack with the Speed Sensor on Crank magnet?

Tried to do, it only shown the speed for few minutes (Reduced one), then throwing error on RideControlOne Switch with indication speed sensor issue.

Is it due to positioning of the speed sensor/magnet or I accidentally upgraded the Firmware? (it still showing the 2019 firmware after the upgrade)

Hi,

I'm new to forum but I've read all of this thread, great info and thanks. I have an ex-demo Trance E+1 Pro MY2020 with RideControl One, and want to get rid of the 25kph 'wall'. This thread and my research have whittled things down to either the VOLspeed, or Speedbox. My reasons are: ....... the installation instructions (found on the web) relating to a Bikespeed RS option suggest you have problems when using Auto mode with RCOne, plus its not really clear how you use the RCOne, and the Giant app to set it up. I liked the simplicity of fitting, AND removing the Planet 3, AND its price. But according to Alex, (great communications by the way ) due to the etracker hubs, and as my axle removes from the break rotor side I need to change the end cap so the planet 3 gizmo fits. This involves taking the cassette off to get to the end cap, which is then none standard, plus it needs extra tooling around and then loctite to replace etc etc. So its not a quick method to remove should I need to revert the bike back to 'normal'. I don't like the Badass option as I would have to bodge-up a spoke magnet and move the sensor from inside the chain stay etc. etc So, its narrowed down to VOLspeed or Speedbox - both of which require the motor to be 'dropped', and the wires to be fiddled to fit it all back inside, though its seems the latest version of both now have a smaller 'black-box' , which should make it a bit easier. So there's not much difference in their installation.

Many of you must have done the same research, read this thread and then made your decision and fitted one or the other.

So what did you decided, and what's been your experience with either of them - particularly in relation to my specific bike with RCOne. It seems the RCOne may be an issue in initial setting-up and then using either device. Thanks in advance.

Hi All,

I have a Giant Fastroad E+2 year 2020 (25km/h restriction) .. has anyone try to hack with the Speed Sensor on Crank magnet?

Tried to do, it only shown the speed for few minutes (Reduced one), then throwing error on RideControlOne Switch with indication speed sensor issue.

Is it due to positioning of the speed sensor/magnet or I accidentally upgraded the Firmware? (it still showing the 2019 firmware after the upgrade)

Yes. Review starting here, post 699: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/emtb-options-for-2020.32057/page-35

And yes, the sensor isn't picking up your magnet, so it's either in the wrong place, or not strong enough. The bike will shut down if it can't see the magnet.

MRB, forunately there are a number of good options to derestrict your Trance. You mentioned that you rejected the BadAssBox 4 because you need to move the speed sensor and bode-up a spoke magnet. Sorry but I don't know what bode-up means but my installation of BadAssBox 4 took around two minutes. I did not need to move the speed sensor on my Explore E+ nor do I think it's required to be moved. Removing the old spoke magnet and installing the supplied new one was a simple thumb twist screw requiring no tools. My opinion is the installation of BadAssBox 4 is idiot proof. (I'm one idiot that proved that.) Dropping the motor is eBike open heart surgery with a ton of s*it to go wrong. Good luck with removing that 25kmh wall.

Thanks iskjone ..................... Not bode-up but 'bodge-up' - a lash-up, hack job!!! Badass will not work on the MY2020 Trance. Your Explore has the old style sensor and magnet attachments. The magnet on my Trance is attached to the brake rotor, and the sensor is inside the chain stay a far neater arrangement.

But it means I would have to drop the motor cover and possibly the motor to be able to withdraw the sensor and its attached cable, then re-attach it to the outside of the chain stay, and then fit a spoke magnet. If I were to do that, then I may as well do the other 'lash-up/hack job ' and just put a magnet on the pedal crank - no need for a Badass then - cost almost zero!

However, after taking the rear wheel off to investigate possible fittings, I noticed it rotates a bit roughly, so it probably needs new bearings. In which case I may be able to get a new 'Alex' style end cap that would make fitting his Planet 3 easy - though removing it would still be a pain.

So, I'm still looking at Speedbox or VOLspeed. What are your experiences with them? Oh I'm 71 and live in a Covid Free Western Australia.

Thanks Stefan - you been a great advocate through out this thread for the VOLspeed and how it performs, despite the difficult installation! But as all the chips appear to be connected into the same wiring-loom and connectors they are all going to be similarly difficult to instal. Though I'm reading that some chips have been reduced in size to help with installation. My frame is a M ............

So, any one out there got any feedback on using a Speedbox with a Trance with SyncroPro and an RCOne? Any issues/problems?

Thanks Stefan - you been a great advocate through out this thread for the VOLspeed and how it performs, despite the difficult installation! But as all the chips appear to be connected into the same wiring-loom and connectors they are all going to be similarly difficult to instal. Though I'm reading that some chips have been reduced in size to help with installation. My frame is a M ............

So, any one out there got any feedback on using a Speedbox with a Trance with SyncroPro and an RCOne? Any issues/problems?
Read my posts above mate and give the volspeed a go. A pain to set up initially due to the low speed mode requiring deactivation but its easy to set up through the ride control app and has transformed my bike.
Leave it in normal mode and then when you want to break through the limit you just press up, down, up, down on the controls and the bike goes into flying mode.
It eats the battery if you dont set the limit to something achievable as it keeps pushing you..... but its a god send for me for when I've done a big ride or want to get home as the nights start to draw in.

Best advice for fitting is to not pull the wires down and just drop the motor down enough to plug the box in and tuck it into the frame....if you pull all the cables down out the frame then be prepared to have a battle to get them all back in safely !
I nearly chucked my bike up the garden in a rage quite a few times 🤔 :confused: :p

eBike manufacturers continue to make derestricting speed more difficult each year. I understand the pressure to keep manageable speed limits for public roads and trails but the 25kph of some countries doesn't seem reasonable to me. The times I curse my speed limit is on long smooth grades where I hit the wall. Why does a Class 1 eBike have a 20mph limit but a Class 3 can operate up to 28mph here in the US? Does the Class3 eBikes have different required specs than a class 1? (Like higher speed tires.) Seems arbitrary to me.

eBike manufacturers continue to make derestricting speed more difficult each year. I understand the pressure to keep manageable speed limits for public roads and trails but the 25kph of some countries doesn't seem reasonable to me. The times I curse my speed limit is on long smooth grades where I hit the wall. Why does a Class 1 eBike have a 20mph limit but a Class 3 can operate up to 28mph here in the US? Does the Class3 eBikes have different required specs than a class 1? (Like higher speed tires.) Seems arbitrary to me.

It's a way of classifying and limiting access based on class. Yes, as with all 'rules', it's arbitrary. Someone decided. LOL
For me, 20mph is fine, or 32km, but 25km would not be.

28-30mph on a bicycle, something other than a high-speed road bike, feels REALLY fast. Being able to hit 22-23 does make a lot of sense.

The crank-magnet speed hack really does work well, but yes it does really consume pack capacity quickly.

Does the Class3 eBikes have different required specs than a class 1? (Like higher speed tires.) Seems arbitrary to me.
It is called "law" in some world regions :) Indeed, European 45 km/h e-bikes (called Class 3 in the U.S.) have many features meant for safety at high-speed and in traffic:
  1. Speed optimised motor
  2. High end brakes with braking sensor
  3. Speed optimised tyres
  4. Rear-view mirror
  5. Horn
  6. Braking light and all-day rear light (requires special way of mounting it)
  7. Powerful all-day lighting with day-lights, low and high beam headlight (requires special stem)
  8. Holder for the number plate, lit.
  9. EU Certificate of Conformity (comes with the VIN).
Have a look at the specs of Vado 6.0, which is not available in North America:

Last edited:
Wow, that's a strange word "law". I was wondering, according to the LAW, what is the difference in specifications between a Class 1 bike and a Class 3 Bike. I know that a Class 3 eBike typically is more expensive so it has higher grade equipment but what are the LAW/S that stipulated specifications manufactures must comply with do qualify a ebike as a class 3 ? Other than it it can attain a higher speed against a class 1. Is it reasonable to have multiple speed limits for autos and trucks according to what you pay? Is Class 3 just an elite classification based on nothing other than speed? Like I mentioned before. seems arbitrary to me.

I don't know anything about the United States. I was speaking of Europe. And listed the mandatory items for the L1e-B vehicle. (We do have law in the EU).

Back