Giant SyncDrive Pro 2020 "tuning"

According to this chart from Giant the MY20 SyncDrive Pro tops out at 170rpm in Power mode. Doubt I could reach that though. 🚴💨

827E1244-FC3B-402D-997B-35FF17B72C9E.jpeg

Too bad installation of the chainring will void the warranty of motor.
I didn't know about it. My Trance E+ is equipped with a nice chain-guard with the top limit for 36T ring. As for me, I wouldn't replace the chainring as I keep this specific e-bike for its MTB capabilities. Karm, what is your intention, really? I understand you want to make your e-bike ride very fast but how do you image pedalling at 200 rpm? Please explain because I might have misunderstood you.

I didn't know about it. My Trance E+ is equipped with a nice chain-guard with the top limit for 36T ring. As for me, I wouldn't replace the chainring as I keep this specific e-bike for its MTB capabilities. Karm, what is your intention, really? I understand you want to make your e-bike ride very fast but how do you image pedalling at 200 rpm? Please explain because I might have misunderstood you.
The intention is simple. Drive fast. Drive efficiently and conveniently. Make it a true tool for transportation instead of a leisure sport toy. And unlike motorcycle, you won't get speed ticket from a bicycle anyway.

To ride PAS e-bike you need to pedal. I cannot understand how you want to pedal at cadence 200. (The word is "ride") :)

I don't want to sound rude but EBR is for people who pedal their e-bikes. Giant is a bicycle manufacturer. Nothing stops you to buy e-motorcycle.
I have many motorcycles already. Now i need a stealth bomber bike to go fast without speed ticket. The idea is very simple, no reason it cannot be done.

I have many motorcycles already. Now i need a stealth bomber bike to go fast without speed ticket. The idea is very simple, no reason it cannot be done.
One of these monsters should do the trick... remember to wear protective moto gear when you ride. ;)

Hi all, I have just bought a Giant FastRoad E+ E Pro Hybrid. I wanted to pick your brains about the motor and de-restricting it.

iamagiant.png

It is a 2020 model with the SyncDrive Pro motor. As far as I can see it uses the 'old' sensor type (sensor bolted onto the inside of the left-hand chain-stay with a magnet on the spokes). As far as I can see there is no sensor in the rear disc brake and only one cable going back to the rear wheel sensor. The display is the LCD RideControl EVO.

A link to the bike here: https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/5539/...pro-e-urban-hybrid-bike-2020-matte-black.aspx

IMG_20201110_085754.jpg

Standard sensor position

IMG_20201110_085015.jpg

Modified position

I used the magnet trick on another bike of mine, a Moustache MTB, with a Bosch Performance Line motor and it worked well.

So I then did this with the new Giant. It was working fine for 2 days but yesterday the display showed a Speed Sensor warning, so I shut down the power and rode home using the old-fashioned leg method.

Anyway, my questions are:

- Can this bike be derestricted with the magnet method?

- If not, which one of the tuning boxes do you recommend for this bike?

- Does the SyncDrive Pro motor also have another sensor in the motor itself? I wondered whether it threw the error because I was riding outside of its programmed parameters, ie my legs were going ten to the dozen, yet the speedo was reading the crank speed of, say 10mph and the computer said: Nope, you should be going faster than that, something fishy's going on here.

- Can I reset the bike's display / memory with an app?

Many thanks for your help.

Ben

Ben, as you are located in London, try to use the electronic VolSpeed V2 for Giant/Yamaha.

e-bay UK: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-Ne...r-Giant-eBike-NEXT-DAY-SHIPPING-/124213625164
Directly: https://www.ebiketuning.com/volspeed-v2-giant-syncdrive-sport-pro.html

Please read my detailed post earlier in this thread. Beware: It is a painful process. Benefits: The tuner behaves transparently, correct speed/distance are reported, de-restricting up to 99 km/h. No idea about the magnet-type de-restrictor, I think other users will contribute.

for those who want speed at a lower cadence: 45 kph
Wheel 29

disc 36 x cog 11=99 rpm
disc 38 x cog 11= 94 rpm
" " 40 "" "" "" "= 89 rpm
"""42 """""""""""=85 rpm
"""""44"""""""""=81 rpm
"""" 46"""""""""= 78 rpm
"""" 48""""""""= 74 rpm

In yamaha we have 3 models giant renaming them: PW year 2016, max rpm 110 with 0 newtom PWX year 2018? rpm 120 with 0 newtom Pwx2 2020 with 170 rpm 0 newtom.

Starting from a few rpm, the engine loses power delivery at the higher rpm and there comes a time when that power delivered in newtom is no longer useful due to the loss of weight and speed and aerodynamic resistance.

The pwx at 100 rpm delivers only 40 newtoms at its maximum assistance, you can see it in the graph of a previous post.

What influences here is the engine or mid-drive and then the multiplier or gearbox group (plate and cassette)

The pwx and pwx2 are intended for emtb exclusively and single plate in versions of 150 mm or more with double suspension

The reason is that you are supposed to make big jumps and having a double chainring with a front derailleur can cause a chain drop from the chainring and even destroy the front derailleur, that's why you will not find more chainring than 1 and a maximum of 38 teeth. , rarely 40 or 42, 104BCD for 11 and 12 speeds.

If you want to have a plate with more teeth you have to go to a 10 speed, cassette 11-36, there you have a 32/44 for emtb type "trail" double suspension 100 mm double chainring or a trekking 36/48 chainrings 104 BCD.

Let's understand that in an enduro emtb or a downhill suspension of 140 mm or more you will never have a double chainring.

To modify to 10 speed you would have to change the wheel hub and the nucleus to XD, put an 11-36 cassette, kmc x10e chain and 10 speed lever, everything is very expensive and there if you have 32,36,44 and 48 chainrings 104BCD but only made for 10 speed chain width.

The most difficult combination you can find is PWX2 with double chainring and double suspension ..... as long as it is at most 120mm trail there if there is something ......

with pwx2 https://www.haibike.com/es/es/bicic...s/trail/sduro-fullnine-60-es990?id=4540162040
with PW-ST https://www.haibike.com/es/es/bicic...s/trail/sduro-fullnine-50-es989?id=4540156040

These 2 models do allow high speed at low cadence, especially the one with the pwx2 mid-drive if you unlock it.

I have a trekking PW 2016 mid-drive at 80 rpm with a 48 chainring, it is achieved on flat 40-45 kph, but you can see that it is very forced and everything with hight power 70 nm.The pwx2 give to 100 rpm 65 newtom.

the battery discharge is intense, with my Pw plate of 48 and I take 11 or 13 teeth an ascent of 4 km with a positive slope of 600 meters I go at 32kph and in flat at 45 KPH in hight mode 70 nm, the battery consumption is a 20% 500W, ARRIVE IN 10 MINUTES WITH RPM 65 TO 85.

Greetings.

Last edited:
@Manu: @BenC has the 50T larger chainring and 11-32T cassette, 700x32c wheels. He can reach 28 mph or 45 km/h at cadence of 76. Ben's motor is SyncDrive Pro (Yamaha PW-X2).

So Ben needs to modify nothing, only to de-restrict his motor... (His e-bike and mine have identical motors and displays).

Last edited:
Top man, thank you. I did come across that one and sent them a message to confirm it works for my bike. My only issue with it is that it'll throw out the speedo but if there is a limited choice of derestriction options then it's better than nothing.

Back