GIANT RideControl App 2.0

I finally got my Road E fixed with new EVO display from Giant. I was really nervous because the phone app still wanted to update the firmware, even though the bike shop had installed all the updates they could find with their dealer tool. I even tried getting older APKs of Ridecontrol app for Android, but they still wanted to upgrade. Finally did the upgrade successfully and able to connect. Really happy to discover that this new unit cleared out the +1200 miles that the old display showed for ODO on top of my real mileage (the old mileage was 'added' after a firmware upgrade from 1.5 years ago). Now it is again showing the real mileage that matches my Strava gear tracking. So going forward, I hope to skip any future firmware updates by not updating my app... but will see if Giant allows this.
Hi,
Explore E+1 2019: I got exactly the same problem as you when I upgraded 3 days ago my bike (upgrade mandatory if I wanted to use the RideControl application). Upgrade was successful. One day after, when I turned the bike power on, it flashes the Giant logo during one second and then turns off, the bike is useless. My LBS told me that the EVO display is probably broken and this is a priori not related to the upgrade, but due to the fact several persons experienced this behavior and problem, I’m convinced this is due to the upgrade.
Did Giant take in charge the EVO display replacement ? (it should be normal for me since Giant promote the new RideControl application and the upgrade)
Assuming that the upgrade killed the firmware, I hoped there should exist a procedure for the LBS to update the firmware without replacing the EVO display (e.g. with a special USB key plugged in the EVO display), does anybody know about that ?

Hi,
Explore E+1 2019: I got exactly the same problem as you when I upgraded 3 days ago my bike (upgrade mandatory if I wanted to use the RideControl application). Upgrade was successful. One day after, when I turned the bike power on, it flashes the Giant logo during one second and then turns off, the bike is useless. My LBS told me that the EVO display is probably broken and this is a priori not related to the upgrade, but due to the fact several persons experienced this behavior and problem, I’m convinced this is due to the upgrade.
Did Giant take in charge the EVO display replacement ? (it should be normal for me since Giant promote the new RideControl application and the upgrade)
Assuming that the upgrade killed the firmware, I hoped there should exist a procedure for the LBS to update the firmware without replacing the EVO display (e.g. with a special USB key plugged in the EVO display), does anybody know about that ?
For me thankfully Giant warrantied the EVO display which was the problem. The LBS did try plugging in the USB connection, but it did not allow them to update the firmware or do a factory reset or anything. There are a few slight differences in the new EVO display that make me wonder if a distant previous firmware upgrade had partially corrupted something, and then after several updates that went successfully, this one finally bricked it. For me when I did the upgrade it seemed to work at first and the bike came on, but I noticed right off that the display only showed 3 power levels rather than the 5 that I have always had. It made me wonder if it had loaded the wrong firmware version to my bike. I powered off and tried powering on and then it was bricked. Just the Giant logo for 1 second and then power off when trying to start it.

For me thankfully Giant warrantied the EVO display which was the problem. The LBS did try plugging in the USB connection, but it did not allow them to update the firmware or do a factory reset or anything. There are a few slight differences in the new EVO display that make me wonder if a distant previous firmware upgrade had partially corrupted something, and then after several updates that went successfully, this one finally bricked it. For me when I did the upgrade it seemed to work at first and the bike came on, but I noticed right off that the display only showed 3 power levels rather than the 5 that I have always had. It made me wonder if it had loaded the wrong firmware version to my bike. I powered off and tried powering on and then it was bricked. Just the Giant logo for 1 second and then power off when trying to start it.
Thks for the response. when you say that Giant warrantied the EVO display, was this warranty inside the official warranty period or outside ?

This was inside the official warranty period, luckily.
I just got the confirmation from my LBS that this problem is known from Giant, that there is currently no other solution than changing the display and this is warrantied by Giant even outside the official warranty period.
So be aware, upgrade can be dangerous ;-)

Has anyone looked at the power readings? It does seem to measure your pedaling power (not overall power including motor) but not sure about accuracy.

Anyone else has this problem with the latest update?
It is a Giant Explorer E +1 GTS (2021). I tried several times but it always stops at 99% as shown in the picture.

Attachments

• 92AA2EB5-1873-45BF-B35E-C9B04C5E602F.jpeg
    92AA2EB5-1873-45BF-B35E-C9B04C5E602F.jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 233
I had some difficulty updating my Momentum many months ago when Giant changed app developers and the new "2.0" app came out.

I'm sorry that some folks are still having occasional update problems but I'm happy to report that every update on our Transend E+ and Vita E+ bikes have been easy-peasy with the new version of the app.

Found some interesting release information on the German Giant webpage:
• 1.5.0 = Speicherung der individuellen Motor Tuning Daten (= Einstellung der individuellen prozentualen Motor-Unterstützung) bei Smart Gateway SyncDrive Pro Motoren
• 1.6.0 = Spiegelung der Navigationshinweise auf das RideDash EVO – SG Display
• 1.7.0 = E-Bike / Bluetooth Geräte Namen ändern und E-Bikes in der Liste entfernen
• 1.8.0 = Navigations-Anbindung an Komoot

It says we have to wait for release 1.8 in order to get the Komoot connection, currently we are already on version 1.8.1.
Am I missing something ?

Just an update to my previous post about getting the "unknown mcu version" error when trying to connect to my 2020 Giant Revolt E+. I had my LBS update the firmware and I am able to communicate with my E-Bike. Unfortunately, a few rides later and now my wife's 2021 Revolt, which has be flawless to this point, started turning off repeatedly during rides, so it's back to the shop for her bike. Two steps forward and one back...

Hello,
i have a giant E+1Pro ebike.
i love it.

i wonder if the ridecontrol app works without network connection.
yesterday i went on e ride in an area without cell network.
i could not use the ride control app to save my track.
when i opnened the app, it asked me to logon, but could not as there was no network.
is there another way or another app that works without network?
Thanks

Hello,
i have a giant E+1Pro ebike.
i love it.

i wonder if the ridecontrol app works without network connection.
yesterday i went on e ride in an area without cell network.
i could not use the ride control app to save my track.
when i opnened the app, it asked me to logon, but could not as there was no network.
is there another way or another app that works without network?
Thanks
Garmin Edge or Wahoo bike computers work perfectly with Giant e-bikes with RideControl One remote (2020-). My brother is using Garmin Edge 530 (non-Plus) with Giant Trance E+ 2 Pro (2020) and is delighted! Note: Once Garmin Edge is paired with the e-bike, it is good to download the E-Bike Edge Multifield from the Garmin store; it will display all critical data about e-bike in addition to GPS navigation and ride tracking of Garmin Edge.

When I connected to my 2020 Giant Revolt E+ Pro with my Wahoo Element Bolt the Giant display showed an error and had a wrench (maintenance icon) on the entire ride. Is this normal?

When I connected to my 2020 Giant Revolt E+ Pro with my Wahoo Element Bolt the Giant display showed an error and had a wrench (maintenance icon) on the entire ride. Is this normal?
Did the Revolt work normally? Is it equipped with the RideControl One remote? Does Wahoo work OK with your Revolt?

Back