GIANT RideControl App 2.0

This is like saying I don't want to change the oil in my car cuz one time they left the drain plug loose.
I have never had an issue with firmware updates, with 6 bikes over three years. Also a shrug.

I really don't get it - they put updates out to fix errors and compatibility, but people don't want them. If I ran my network like that we would be out of business.
Wrong: I rather leave it to professionals (my LBS) who know what they do, instead of relying on some crappy hobby project and risking broken equipment.

Wife just bought a 2021 Giant Stance e+1 (used) it has the ride control ergo. She wants a dash/computer to log miles, speed & calories burned. After reading these posts it seems like Giant phone app may or may not work She has a new Iphone and isn't crazy about mounting a 1K phone on the bars. So thinking of just buying the Giant AXACT computer is anyone using one of these ? Kind of affaird to start using the Giant App if it will actually disable Her Bike.
We tried to get an EVO dash but in US it seems none are for sale & LBS (Giant dealers) cant get the part either. Don't understand this as the Giant web site and manuals both say the ride control ergo is compatible with the EVO display. Also tried Giant support on web site but there is no way to actually contact Giant . So far very disappointed with Giant BS & there lack of support.

Wife just bought a 2021 Giant Stance e+1 (used) it has the ride control ergo. She wants a dash/computer to log miles, speed & calories burned. After reading these posts it seems like Giant phone app may or may not work She has a new Iphone and isn't crazy about mounting a 1K phone on the bars. So thinking of just buying the Giant AXACT computer is anyone using one of these ? Kind of affaird to start using the Giant App if it will actually disable Her Bike.
We tried to get an EVO dash but in US it seems none are for sale & LBS (Giant dealers) cant get the part either. Don't understand this as the Giant web site and manuals both say the ride control ergo is compatible with the EVO display. Also tried Giant support on web site but there is no way to actually contact Giant . So far very disappointed with Giant BS & there lack of support.
I've only contacted Giant once, and that was to offer being a beta tester for the app. I agree that they are not exactly "jump to the pump" in communication.
In any case, I've never had an issue in updating the firmware of the bike. Had two different Android phones and it always worked.
I used to run the Strava app on a phone for logging rides etc, but I've switched over to a Garmin Edge 530 for that now. ANT+ gets you exact battery percentage along with numerous other stats as well.
Edge 130 would fit the bill as well I believe.
***EDIT*** I have the 2021 Stance E+2...

Same as @DaveMatthews,
Giant APP works fine for me but I was underwhelmed with features other than updates, and so use a Garmin on my 2021 LIV Intrigue for stats and display.
It can also do route directions, but I haven't used that yet (types of riding has been pretty basic lately).

Like yourself, I also have no intention on putting a $1K phone on handlebars.
I have the 830 model Garmin, and it does everything I need.

Same as @DaveMatthews,
Giant APP works fine for me but I was underwhelmed with features other than updates, and so use a Garmin on my 2021 LIV Intrigue for stats and display.
It can also do route directions, but I haven't used that yet (types of riding has been pretty basic lately).

Like yourself, I also have no intention on putting a $1K phone on handlebars.
I have the 830 model Garmin, and it does everything I need.
How do you find the touchscreen on the 830? Does it work well for you?

Ridiculous. This is called FUD.

Ridiculous. This is called FUD.
Yeah, & an update. So far after 2 customer service emails to Giant & no response. Several calls to 4 different Giant dealers in CA. & OR who want to help & see the product info. as advertised but can not get the part or a response from Giant. So we moved on & are going buy a Garmin edge 130 that will hopefully do everything the Giant EVO dash is supposed to do. We ended up downloading the Giant App to Her Iphone & it works fine, updated Her bike & used the motor tuning function. Overall the app is cumbersome & not very many features on it.
Still surprised at Giant, there very proud of a product & boast about on there web site but as far as I can tell it's all BS (at least in United States). I've seen the part for sale on an independent Euro site but afraid to buy it as it may put the bike in Euro spec where I think top assist speed is set at aprx. 15mph.
Defiantly not the end of the world just frustrating and in the end the Garmin is probably a much better product & will cost less !

There is some interchangeability to their various control units. I converted the Evo on my Revolt to the smaller screenless one that they spec on mountainbikes (don't remember what they call it) and it was a simple plug and play swap. My shop has complained about Giants non-responsiveness a few times, but they managed to confirm its compatibility and order it for me with some effort. This was a year or two ago though.

Giant would really prefer you go through a shop for this sort of thing; I don't think they are setup or have any desire to interact directly with consumers. I'd push the shop you bought the bike from a few times. Have them contact their Giant rep if necessary.

I use a Garmin edge 530 and can confirm it works great for general ride tracking and does connect to my Revolt and can display stuff like battery percentage and assist mode. It also connects to the steps 8000 unit on my eMTB and the newer Evo unit on my wifes Liv Thrive (though she just uses the Evo to get basic stats).

Yeah, & an update. So far after 2 customer service emails to Giant & no response. Several calls to 4 different Giant dealers in CA. & OR who want to help & see the product info. as advertised but can not get the part or a response from Giant. So we moved on & are going buy a Garmin edge 130 that will hopefully do everything the Giant EVO dash is supposed to do. We ended up downloading the Giant App to Her Iphone & it works fine, updated Her bike & used the motor tuning function. Overall the app is cumbersome & not very many features on it.
Still surprised at Giant, there very proud of a product & boast about on there web site but as far as I can tell it's all BS (at least in United States). I've seen the part for sale on an independent Euro site but afraid to buy it as it may put the bike in Euro spec where I think top assist speed is set at aprx. 15mph.
Defiantly not the end of the world just frustrating and in the end the Garmin is probably a much better product & will cost less !

I understand - but if the bike is new take it back to your dealer.
Giant is not Garmin. Period. Wishing or hoping just won't make it so.
There are bazillions of customers using the app - it works fine.
I personally have setup five different bikes on it without issue.

I don't mind having a thousand dollar iPhone parked up there for road, but don't mount it for off. YMMV.

FUD = fear uncertainly dread
We get the same complaints on the solar forum for charge controllers - people have trouble getting the software to work. Sometimes it's just not a simple as the designer had hoped, but that doesn't make it defective.

You'll get better traction with your dealer. Giant is the largest bike manufacturer in the world - they might be hard to reach. [shrug]

My Giant Trance E+ 2 Pro now belongs to my brother. The EVO display that I installed instead of the Ride Control ONE got killed because of raining. My brother reinstalled the Ride Control ONE and told me the remote was not waterproof either but could be put back into the operation after careful drying the unit.

And yes, my brother went for Garmin Edge 530 as a trustworthy Giant e-bike display.

Only two big brands I know of support ANT+ connectivity. Fortunately, Giant is one of them.

I understand - but if the bike is new take it back to your dealer.
Giant is not Garmin. Period. Wishing or hoping just won't make it so.
There are bazillions of customers using the app - it works fine.
I personally have setup five different bikes on it without issue.

I don't mind having a thousand dollar iPhone parked up there for road, but don't mount it for off. YMMV.

FUD = fear uncertainly dread
We get the same complaints on the solar forum for charge controllers - people have trouble getting the software to work. Sometimes it's just not a simple as the designer had hoped, but that doesn't make it defective.

You'll get better traction with your dealer. Giant is the largest bike manufacturer in the world - they might be hard to reach. [shrug]
Not wishing or hoping for anything. Bottom line is if a retailer advertises something in print there responsible to back it up one way or another regardless of the size of the company. As I said I tried a few Giant dealers. I'm not looking for traction it's not worth my time. If several calls & 2 emails don't get response on a $200.00 problem I'm done.
Your software analogy doesn't make sense as I don't have a product I can't get to function, it's not the same problem in any shape or form.
Also not sure why your telling me the app works, I said in my post we used the Giant app & it worked fine.
I'm pretty sure I know the difference between Giant & Garmin even though they both start with a G I manged to figure out the rest 😄

I wouldn't answer your inquiries either. You're one of those that no matter what, you're going to complain.

Not sure why people are coming down in Lbrava.

The big 3 (Giant, Trek and Specialized) definitely want you to go through their dealer network for pretty much everything beyond buying accessories. I like my Giant and my wife likes her Liv, but Giants spotty responsiveness even to dealers and clunky app are totally legit complaints. I would recommend my Revolt to someone who wanted a gravel ebike, but I would definitely condition it on having a local Giant dealer they like. I would not buy a Giant (or Specialized or Trek) unless it was through a LBS that had a strong local reputation and seemed solid. As I said, my dealer was able to sort me out swapping the computer but it took a few months and several phone calls. They have commented to me on a few occasions that Giant can be really uncommunicative and difficult to get support from.

I doubt my shop made any money on my computer swap, they were doing me a solid as a customer (so I wouldn't anticipate another Giant dealer who I've never bought anything from being willing to put a lot of time twisting Giants arm to get me the part).

I wouldn't answer your inquiries either. You're one of those that no matter what, you're going to complain.
Wow, you should really learn how to comprehend what your reading.
And if you think it's OK for a retailer to advertise a product & not be able to sell it than just say so.
Also quit making goofey assumptions about conversations you know nothing about. I now regret responding to your post due to your senseless analogy's & realizing your inability in reading comprehension, my mistake & I apologize for that. Jumping to conclusions without any facts being stated or research being done is your thing not mine. In other words you don't have clue. I will never respond to another one of posts.
Sorry to everyone else who has read these pathetic posts (mine included) I promise there will be no more from me.

Wow, you should really learn how to comprehend what your reading.
And if you think it's OK for a retailer to advertise a product & not be able to sell it than just say so.
Also quit making goofey assumptions about conversations you know nothing about. I now regret responding to your post due to your senseless analogy's & realizing your inability in reading comprehension, my mistake & I apologize for that. Jumping to conclusions without any facts being stated or research being done is your thing not mine. In other words you don't have clue. I will never respond to another one of posts.
Sorry to everyone else who has read these pathetic posts (mine included) I promise there will be no more from me.
The "ignore" feature is a glorious peace of mind and sanity-saving feature - give it a try 😁.

I agree with Patricia, just ignore the B character, he stalks this forum pursuing posters obsessively and aggressively to the point of harassment for simply for posting a complaint or an issue with a Giant product. His lack of comprehension and misinformation is astounding and the serial posting on every topic is one of the chief reasons I avoid here nowadays. Just because he has never had an issue with his Giant products does not make it so for other owners. Lbrava has a legitimate concern and has posted here seeking advice and support so Lbrava please don't give up on us.

I agree with Patricia, just ignore the B character, he stalks this forum pursuing posters obsessively and aggressively to the point of harassment for simply for posting a complaint or an issue with a Giant product. His lack of comprehension and misinformation is astounding and the serial posting on every topic is one of the chief reasons I avoid here nowadays. Just because he has never had an issue with his Giant products does not make it so for other owners. Lbrava has a legitimate concern and has posted here seeking advice and support so Lbrava please don't give up on us.
I never give up ! Thanks & thanks to all for the useful input ! I'm a newb to ebikes & the tech that goes with em. But with help from this forum I've got pretty good grasp on what will work. And if I can give back any useful advice to others from what I've learned I will do that.
What we've decided to do is get a Garmin edge 130, it's a bit cheaper than the Giant product & actually has a lot more features than what the Giant product has.

Back