GIANT RideControl App 2.0

If everything works except of the error message then why worry? (We didn't try a bike computer when that e-MTB had the EVO display, so no idea).

I am concerned that it might be interfering with Giant's use of the sensors, say for range calculation, etc.

Well.

When I owned the Trance E+ 2 Pro I mentioned before, it came with the RideControl One remote. I didn't know I could have used a Garmin at that time, so I invested in the EVO display and remote. Over the time, the EVO display got damaged by water ingress. We restored the RC One at that time. My brother (the current owner) was unhappy not having a display, and Ride Control App was a very bad software piece. Recently, I have learned from EBR Forums that a Garmin could be used. My brother bought one and is now delighted.

Why worry bstaggs? The Giant range calculator has been always wrong anyway. If your e-bike works, just ride it and enjoy it.

My experience with Giant's range calculations has been very positive and not something that I would want to give up. I do ride 99% of the time in "Echo" mode (turned down one setting via the app), which may have some bearing on my results. I have enough trust in the calculated range that I have had to learned the hard way it shuts off at 1%, a couple of miles from home. Point being that I adjust my riding based on the calculated range and wouldn't want to give it up. As it stands now, I have removed the Giant Sensors from my Wahoo and just use it to record my ride and for GPS. It would have been nice to able to record cadence and power with my ride data, but not worth compromising the range functionality in my opinion. I wonder if interfering with the sensors causes any problems on the "Auto" mode, but since I've never used it, its a purely academic thought.

My experience with Giant's range calculations has been very positive and not something that I would want to give up. I do ride 99% of the time in "Echo" mode (turned down one setting via the app), which may have some bearing on my results. I have enough trust in the calculated range that I have had to learned the hard way it shuts off at 1%, a couple of miles from home. Point being that I adjust my riding based on the calculated range and wouldn't want to give it up. As it stands now, I have removed the Giant Sensors from my Wahoo and just use it to record my ride and for GPS. It would have been nice to able to record cadence and power with my ride data, but not worth compromising the range functionality in my opinion. I wonder if interfering with the sensors causes any problems on the "Auto" mode, but since I've never used it, its a purely academic thought.
My experience has been totally different. I could easily divide the predicted range by two. Moreover, upon reaching 20% of the battery charge, it was good for a few miles more only (the battery just plunging). Now, Wahoo or Garmin just read the data via ANT+, and ANT+ is the protocol that allows multiple devices connect to a single data source (the e-bike here).

You would not compromise anything. Enjoy riding!

We are going shopping for a bike for my wife today. Will be looking at Giant, LIV and Specialized. Anybody know if the latest Giant bikes with the color display (Explorer E+) allow motor control based upon heart rate? I love this feature on my Turbo Levo Comp.

From what I am reading it sounds like the Giant app is pretty poor compared to Specialized. Too bad because Giant has some really nice bikes.

We are going shopping for a bike for my wife today. Will be looking at Giant, LIV and Specialized. Anybody know if the latest Giant bikes with the color display (Explorer E+) allow motor control based upon heart rate? I love this feature on my Turbo Levo Comp.

From what I am reading it sounds like the Giant app is pretty poor compared to Specialized. Too bad because Giant has some really nice bikes.
@Hammick with so many eBike manufacturers and models in the market today I'm sure you will find the perfect bike for your wife.

Everyone has different wants and needs and if the heart rate sensor is your cup of tea, then that's what you should buy.

I compared dozens of bikes online and rode bikes from 5 or 6 different manufacturers before deciding the Giant/Momentum bikes were perfect for us. One of the things that really appealed to me about the Momentum bikes was their simplicity. Of all of the bikes I rode, the Giant/Momentum bikes felt more like bicycles and less like complicated eBikes. No derailleurs, no fenders, no suspension, integrated batteries and no info screens to get broken or water damaged. Giant/Momentum's speed/cadence/torque sensors and 'Auto Assist' are spot on in my opinion and let me relax and enjoy the ride.

Today a new version of the app automatically installed on my phone.
IT IS GETTING EVEN WORSE !!
The previous registered bikes are disappeared from the app, it also cannot detect the bikes anymore.
The good thing is, the app is now completely worthless and of no use and not able to brick your bike anymore :mad:.
The bikes still are detected by the phone however, so it is definitely an app issue.

The version is v1.13.1 on Android.
Tried deleting and reinstalling the app, rebooting the phone: no luck.
On other forums same issue is reported.

Last edited:
@TourBiker - I see that you're having problems with the same version we're using, but on an Android.

We updated our Transend Momentum and Vida to v1.13.1 about a week ago on our iPhones. Maybe we were lucky, but It only took a few minutes per bike and everything works great.

Last edited:
Tested today with a tablet on Android 10: it works with that, so probably it also works on older Android versions.
My phone is on Android 11, there the app fails.

It also wants to update the firmware, which I don't like to do due to briked bikes by previous updates (I trust the updates by the LBS more).
You can only bypass the update request by disabling wifi.

Anyone familiair with this update ? (functionality, reliability)

Lots of different iterations of android OS - try another device and see if that gets it going.
The app isn't really needed for riding. Sure, it has some cool features, but I don't even bother with it anymore, I just ride. [shrug]
Chris, my brother needs RideControl app for adjusting the assistance levels in his Trance E+, and he needs it often. It cannot be any time he starts the RC app, he needs to wait for a quarter until the bike firmware is updated....

Chris, my brother needs RideControl app for adjusting the assistance levels in his Trance E+, and he needs it often. It cannot be any time he starts the RC app, he needs to wait for a quarter until the bike firmware is updated....
"Need" or "want". The bike comes with default assist levels. I've never changed mine. [shrug]
Tested today with a tablet on Android 10: it works with that, so probably it also works on older Android versions.
My phone is on Android 11, there the app fails.

It also wants to update the firmware, which I don't like to do due to briked bikes by previous updates (I trust the updates by the LBS more).
You can only bypass the update request by disabling wifi.

Anyone familiair with this update ? (functionality, reliability)
This is like saying I don't want to change the oil in my car cuz one time they left the drain plug loose.
I have never had an issue with firmware updates, with 6 bikes over three years. Also a shrug.

I really don't get it - they put updates out to fix errors and compatibility, but people don't want them. If I ran my network like that we would be out of business.

"Need" or "want". The bike comes with default assist levels. I've never changed mine. [shrug]
He is an aware rider, so he often needs to adjust the assistance for varying ride conditions. For instance, he needs a great battery range for a ride; he changes Eco to 75%. Or, he's found a strong headwind on his trip: he needs 100% Eco.

The app is expected to work. If Specialized had such terrible software, I would not have owned as many as two Specialized e-bikes. Currently, I own no Giant.

I like my Giant well enough (happy enough that the wife bought a Liv when she wanted one too) but calling out their app as problematic is totally legit. Giant needs to step it up in that department. I don't use it much (updating firmware occasionally and changing assist levels depending on type of ride I'm doing) but have had my share of issues. To their credit my local shop has sorted things out when necessary.

Its understandable that bike companies are playing catch up; they survived for decades without having to do software at all. Giant better be throwing money at that problem because historically it hasn't been quite up to what I'd expect given the bike cost and size of the company. I will say I've had no issue with the past few version, though all I use it for regularly is adjusting assist levels.

This is like saying I don't want to change the oil in my car cuz one time they left the drain plug loose.
I have never had an issue with firmware updates, with 6 bikes over three years. Also a shrug.

I really don't get it - they put updates out to fix errors and compatibility, but people don't want them. If I ran my network like that we would be out of business.

@Browneye I don't get it either. I update our computers, iPads, iPhones, Apple Watches, Apple TV devices, home theatre receiver, TVs, cameras, lenses and car navigation systems as soon as an update is available. I did the same with my computers, servers and cameras at work.

When Giant first redesigned their app over a year ago I had a problem with the update getting stuck and then the bike and phone would not sync, but the bike rode fine. Knock on wood, we haven't had any problems since.

Back