Getting on the Hydra band wagon

slocoach

Region
USA
I'm excited, and would love feedback on the build I selected. The goal is to build the cushiest/floating bike possible for trails and 'hills' of Colorado.
Did I get it right, or do I need to re-think any of these specs?

Hydra × 1
Frame Size: L (5'11"-6'4")
Color: Single Color (not black)
Specify your colors (Base, Accent etc): Highland Green (C-215)
Motor: X1 2300W
Battery: Frame Integrated Only
Firmware: Harness w/2-year SW Upgrades
Throttle: Restricted throttle
Gearing: Kindernay
Wheelset: 29x2.6
Extra Wheelset Pair: 26x4.8 (Kindernay shell)
Rims: Nextie Carbon Rims
Front Suspension: Manitou Mastodon
Rear Suspension: Fox Float X2 Kashima
Dropper: Rock Shox C1
Saddle: Terra Aidon X1
Brakes: Magua MT7e
Rotors: MDRP 203mm
Grips: Ergon GA2
Pedals: Crankbros Stamp 1
Handlebar: Protaper Carbon Fatbar
Cranks: Watt Wagons Carbon 165mm
Headlight: Supernova M99 Pro
Tail : Supernova M99 TL
Chargers: Satiator (7A)

Based on discussions (and availability of parts) - here are the tweaks made (it just shipped, so if I got any detail wrong I'll update here once verified)

Hydra × 1
Frame Size: L (5'11"-6'4")
Color: Single Color (not black)
Specify your colors (Base, Accent etc): Highland Green (C-215)
Motor: X1 2300W
Battery: Frame Integrated Only
Firmware: Harness w/2-year SW Upgrades
Throttle - PLEASE READ.: Restricted throttle <--- changed
Gearing:
Cassette (no Kindernay fats available) <--- changed
Wheelset: 26x4.8 <--- changed

Rims: Nextie Carbon Rims
Front Suspension: Manitou Mastadon
Rear Suspension: Fox Float X2 Kashima
Dropper: Rock Shox C1
Saddle: Ergon Prime Core <--- changed
Brakes: Magua MT7e
Rotors: MDRP 203mm
Grips: Ergon GA2
Pedals: Crankbros Stamp 1
Handlebar: Surly Moloko <--- changed
Cranks: Watt Wagons Carbon 165mm
Headlight: Supernova M99 Pro
Tail : Supernova M99 TL
Chargers: Satiator (7A)
Warranty: 1 year (Included)

Last edited:
You may want to think about a different handle bar. From what I understand the protaper 35 mm is kind of stiff.

Thanks for the feedback.
I'm starting to look at the Surly Moloko, wondering if the different positions would give me more flexibility in positioning to keep my back from flaring up on long rides.

the straighter bars which average around 8° back sweep are great for riding tight trails. If you’re going to be riding fire roads or similar handlebars like the surly will be more comfortable. Just really tough in the tight twisties because you can’t turn as sharp

We have lots of single track and switchbacks, not sure how tight twisty.
How does the Moloko prevent the wheel from turning as sharp? Is it awkward due to the greater back sweep?

The 29‘s are not as maneuverable as 27.5. there’s only a slight difference in the diameter apparently it does make a difference. I wish haystack would’ve just come out and say this instead of creating the mystery.

And I guess I was confused thinking I could swap the 26 x 4.8 with either. So I'm just going with 26, and sticking with Moloko.
I really do appreciate the feedback, let me know if you spot any other issues I should think twice about.

there is a hub configuration where you can mount the 27.5 and 29 on the wider forks and rear triangle. Although the ones I have seen look a little silly. I think he would be better served to just keep a a fat bike. you could get an extra set of wheels so you have one for Street and one for off-road.

If you want an even more cushier ride consider the Tannus armour inserts Pushkar has but doesn't list as an option, this also changes your tube size which he will look after.
And you also never need to worry about a flat once these are in.

If you want an even more cushier ride consider the Tannus armour inserts Pushkar has but doesn't list as an option, this also changes your tube size which he will look after.
And you also never need to worry about a flat once these are in.
Can I run that tubeless?

You

You can run tubeless with Tannus but the flat free security you can get from a small ultralight 50g Aerothane tubes seams well worth the weight trade off
Are you saying the Tannus + tube is more resilient than Tannus + no tube? Is tubless more of a mess/butt-pain?
With the motor I'm less concerned about weight, and absolutely do not want to deal with flats or problems out on long rides.

Back