Generic MD 1000 and HD 750 ebike model discussion

Sturmey Archer RX-RK5 IGH update:

I had a short email exchange with Kyle at Bolton ebikes and he indicated that Bikonit (I assume that includes Leili) are working on an alternative IGH option. He has had discussions with China about the SA IGH and has seen photos but nothing is being offered at this time. It seems that neither Leili or Bikonit are offering the MD 1000 with IGH at the moment so they are taking this seriously. Again, I suggest MD 1000 owners contact their seller agent and register a complaint about the SA IGH. If it isn't a current problem and/or your not riding much it will become an issue when you put some miles on the bike. I received a message from my agent at Leili indicating that they are currently testing a 14 speed inner hub drive and will have the test results in a month or so. Although I received no indication of brand, the 14 speed might indicate it is the Rohloff E14 or a variant of that IGH. That would be very interesting ...

Mine SA IGH was fine for the first few hundred miles and I believe that was due to my riding it using mostly pedal assist (level 3 or 4) and, I seldom used the throttle. I recently started using both throttle and pedaling and although that is a really fun way to ride, it will cause the IGH to wear quickly and once it starts slipping gears, that damage can't be undone.

I do believe that IGH and belt drives are the future of ebikes but until there is a reliable cost effective solution designed specifically for ebikes, it is a bad idea.
Do you think I should ride it till it dies? I have just talked with my agent about getting the SRAM.

That is a tough call. If I had a do-over I would probably wait to see what the new IGH belt option will be and what the upgrade possibilities are ...

My problem is I really like the MD 1000 and so I'd probably go with an IGH upgrade if it is something like the Rohloff E14 and the upgrade price is reasonable.

RMK,

Could you confirm the size of the chain? Links etc? Looking at an upgraded chain option and curious if this one would fit. Here is the site to the chain im looking at upgrading.

Also, what are your thoughts of the QUANDO hub that came with your SRAM chain drive kit from Leili? My guess is it will be trashed in no time with amount of torque going through it and then we will be back at the same problem as the IGH...

RMK,

Could you confirm the size of the chain? Links etc? Looking at an upgraded chain option and curious if this one would fit. Here is the site to the chain im looking at upgrading.

Also, what are your thoughts of the QUANDO hub that came with your SRAM chain drive kit from Leili? My guess is it will be trashed in no time with amount of torque going through it and then we will be back at the same problem as the IGH...

I didn't check the chain length and it's at the bike shop so I have no way of measuring. It's a KMC Ebike Profession model so at least mid-grade. The specs are the same as the MD 750 specs. I fully expect to replace chains every 1500 miles or so. I hope the cassette lasts at least 2 chain cycles.

As to the Quando hub, I can only hope you are wrong about the hubs durability. It can be difficult to find a rear hub in the 197mm dimension so that is a complication.

I didn't check the chain length and it's at the bike shop so I have no way of measuring. It's a KMC Ebike Profession model so at least mid-grade. The specs are the same as the MD 750 specs. I fully expect to replace chains every 1500 miles or so. I hope the cassette lasts at least 2 chain cycles.

As to the Quando hub, I can only hope you are wrong about the hubs durability. It can be difficult to find a rear hub in the 197mm dimension so that is a complication.
Been looking into onyx, DT Swiss, and Hope Fatsno hubs. Leaning towards the onyx.

I just got a call from the bike shop doing the SRAM chain installation found that the new rear wheel thru-axle has fine thread but the derailleur hanger has coarse thread. I need a thru-axel with coarse thread or a derailleur hanger bracket with fine thread. What a PITA ...

Last edited:
Is it cheaper than $400 to just buy the SRAM myself vs having them send it to me
You could have another wheel built, buy your desired components and save a bit (maybe) but you need a derailleur hanger as well and that is a custom piece. My problem is that the Hanger Yeili sent me has coarse threads and the thru-axel has fine thread.

Last edited:
Bolton bikes has a live Ask Me Anything YouTube stream in just under 24 hours, will be interesting to see if any of his customers mention any problems with the belt drive.

He seems a very honest guy and if I lived in the USA I wouldn’t mind paying extra to purchase a bike from him.

Is the MD1000 with the Sram 9s cassette still available?
They are in the process of testing a new IGH for the MD 1000. Not sure if they are currently selling that model with the SRAM. You might consider the MD 750 model. It comes with SRAM 9 speed standard and is the same bike/motor.

Did you contact Leili? I suggest you use Alibaba for all your communications with them. Good to have an audit trail and the Alibaba contract will ensure you get a functional bike on time.

I just got a call from the bike shop doing the SRAM chain installation found that the new rear wheel thru-axle has fine thread but the derailleur hanger has coarse thread. I need a thru-axel with coarse thread or a derailleur hanger bracket with fine thread. What a PITA ...
What did you find out about a through axle that is coarse thread? I just ordered a new rear wheel setup here stateside and I am assuming this will have the same problem.

What did you find out about a through axle that is coarse thread? I just ordered a new rear wheel setup here stateside and I am assuming this will have the same problem.
Robert Axle project could be a potential solution...
or
I found this site with some searching online. They could have what we are looking for as well.

They have a 198mm with 1.75 thread pitch... could be the answer??

Robert Axle project could be a potential solution...
or
I found this site with some searching online. They could have what we are looking for as well.

They have a 198mm with 1.75 thread pitch... could be the answer??
Here is what I will be ordering! Since I have a trailer that will need to be attached.

Thanks RMK. I am more interested in the MD1000 because of the cut out. It provides the opportunity to convert it at a later date when a new affordable IGH is developed for this bike or to use the Rohloff or kindernay when possible. I saw it being offered on Leili's website after the issues you guys had, now they must have decided not to supply it anymore. I will contact them as you advised or probably wait until they find a solution and re-supply the new version. I was watching this bike for a long time but just was not sure of Leili until I discovered this thread on this forum. You guys are a resourceful and informative group especially Terry777.
I do a lot of ebike research and came across another thread on this forum where the issue with the IGH was predicted by a member TomD and someone else commented elsewhere that, that particular hub was not meant to be paired with that motor. I still like the frame because on the bright side, it gives options because of the cut out.
Lastly, from the discussion on the thread and for anyone interested, this advert suggests that these fenders will fit the wide tires found on the MD1000. see website: https://classic-cycle.com/all/2948/...-4.8-124-mm-black-matte-with-stays-extra-wide. See also attachments.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-04-22 141117.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-22 141117.png
    496.3 KB · Views: 156
  • Screenshot 2021-04-22 141234.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-22 141234.png
    363.2 KB · Views: 154
In the YouTube livestream Bolton said he had been sent photos of the new IGH being tested so hopefully more information will be released soon.

RMK,

What I got from Biktrix concerning the rear axle size and pitch needed.

Ricky
(Biktrix)
Apr 22, 2021, 13:30 CST
Hi Nate,

Thanks for reaching out.

The Beast has a 197mm rear hub. The thru-axle has these specs:
  1. Diameter 12mm
  2. Length: 220mm
  3. Geometry: Straight
  4. Pitch: 1.5
However, I highly recommend checking the axle itself for these specs as they might vary between bikes. The specs are usually written on the axle.

Have a great day.

Warmest regards,
Ricky

No it wasn't and don't worry. The bike shop had messed up the threads on the derailleur hangar and claimed it was incompatible threads, Once I got the non-functional bike back from them the threads on the hangar looked suspicious. My neighbor had a Tap and Die set and one pass with the the 12mm 1.5 Tap did the trick. The SRAM set Leili sends is all you need.

I'm up and riding the bike again and love the SRAM setup. After months of babying the Sturmey Archer IGH and can now power the bike without clanks, clunks and slipped gears. It is faster (maybe not a good thing ;-) and I can give it all I want with no worries. That said, no shifting while pedalling or applying throttle is still #1 rule for longevity of the drivetrain.

Last edited:
RMK,

What I got from Biktrix concerning the rear axle size and pitch needed.

Ricky
(Biktrix)
Apr 22, 2021, 13:30 CST
Hi Nate,

Thanks for reaching out.

The Beast has a 197mm rear hub. The thru-axle has these specs:
  1. Diameter 12mm
  2. Length: 220mm
  3. Geometry: Straight
  4. Pitch: 1.5
However, I highly recommend checking the axle itself for these specs as they might vary between bikes. The specs are usually written on the axle.

Have a great day.

Warmest regards,
Ricky
That Beast axle spec is correct and will work for the MD 1000 as well but you really don't need it unless you want a backup. Biktrix has excellent customer service and they recommended the Robert Axle Project for a thru axle. Robert Axel Project has some nice products.

Last edited:
My project is finally in order now. Leili sent me free parts of the chain drive for warranty. I had to threaten to cancel the trade in Alibaba and launched a process to cancel the trade. This helped that I got the parts for free. Admittedly, the parts were used and the black wheel rear tire mounts were silver in color. I bought a new sprocket https://christinibicycles.com/buy/buy-parts/ in front of me and installed a smaller front sprocket. I had to change the hub and also coat the rim because Leili refused to deliver the conical rim. Now the bike works great. I also have a Bafang BBSHD 1000 engine on my other bike and it is much quieter. The G510 engine has a torque sensor so it is much more comfortable in the terrain. The single speed belt drive is still a project but I think it will be completed in the next few weeks.
IMG_20210423_080853_7.jpg
IMG_20210423_080857_3.jpg

Back