Generic MD 1000 and HD 750 ebike model discussion

Is anyone else getting the run-around on their delivery? My bike supposedly shipped on the 11th of November. The ship hit rough seas and the container has been stuck in Japan since December. Apparently there are 55 other bikes besides mine. Alibaba Trade Assurance has been zero help.
I think just about everyone got some degree of "run-around" Shipping in general is still a bit of a mess, ports are crowded and things move slowly. Your long layover in Japan due to a storm is a new one. There is information in the thread about vessel tracking if you are interested in doing that. Alibaba can't help with logistics, just order cancellation if the terms of the agreement are not met. My advice, wait it out ...

Would someone please post a picture of their right-hand sidebar, I took mine off to replace the SA shifter, and not sure which one goes on first (the shifter or the brake).

Last edited:
Would someone please post a picture of their right-hand sidebar, I took mine off to replace the SA shifter, and not sure which one goes on first (the shifter or the brake).
Trigger shifter is first on followed by the Brake then Grip.

Attachments

• Sturmey Archer C50 Trigger Shifter.jpg
    Sturmey Archer C50 Trigger Shifter.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 168
So I replaced the SR shifter today, it’s an extremely easy process...kinda shocked how easy it was. Snip the wire, pull out the old/broke shifter and push the new wire down.

But! After looking at the installation guide for the SA IGH, Leili built mine all f-ed up! Had to remove the c clips and other parts on the gear side of the IHG, Leili had it set to standard/reverse inside the gear area instead of the vertical. I fixed that (kinda bent the c-clip, bent it back, but not sure if it’s on tight enough). I set the distance from the nut to the end wire to 100mm. Got it all back on and now it’s the first time I got the yellow and red lines to match up.

If you haven’t checked or having shifting problems, I would check that. @RMK! basically did the same thing and his shifts great now.

I’m on the fence on replacing that c-clip, if I do I’ll post a video of everything I did to it.

Next up: Truing my bike wheels. Any tricks or tips, please send them my way. My first time truing bike wheels. I don’t have a bike stand, or an actual bike wheel truing stand either.

Here is the manual:

So I replaced the SR shifter today, it’s an extremely easy process...kinda shocked how easy it was. Snip the wire, pull out the old/broke shifter and push the new wire down.

But! After looking at the installation guide for the SA IGH, Leili built mine all f-ed up! Had to remove the c clips and other parts on the gear side of the IHG, Leili had it set to standard/reverse inside the gear area instead of the vertical. I fixed that (kinda bent the c-clip, bent it back, but not sure if it’s on tight enough). I set the distance from the nut to the end wire to 100mm. Got it all back on and now it’s the first time I got the yellow and red lines to match up.

If you haven’t checked or having shifting problems, I would check that. @RMK! basically did the same thing and his shifts great now.

I’m on the fence on replacing that c-clip, if I do I’ll post a video of everything I did to it.

Next up: Truing my bike wheels. Any tricks or tips, please send them my way. My first time truing bike wheels. I don’t have a bike stand, or an actual bike wheel truing stand either.

Here is the manual:
Leili told me to use the standard setting. With the standard setting the yellow lines match up. I'm not sure why there are different settings based on dropout.

Strange they say to use standard, when it’s clearly vertical
The drop out is vertical but the range of adjustability is similar to standard? Once again I dont know why there are different fulcrum settings based on dropout. I thought the same thing as you.

The drop out is vertical but the range of adjustability is similar to standard? Once again I dont know why there are different fulcrum settings based on dropout. I thought the same thing as you.
I just know that as soon as I changed everything to be vertical, I was able to get everything to switch smoothly and everything lined up

Do the Bikonit bikes have the correct vertical setting as I don’t see any complaints online from them?

Here is the manual:
The cable @ the IGH was the part I had problems with. I got it though eventually then the damn hub split! 🤬🤬
The trigger shifter part is easy enough 1 bolt off, 1 bolt on.

That cable was no cake walk the way it is. I hope changing it around is the way to go. I’m gonna get a bike shop to do mine when I get the new stuff. No more phuking about with spanners for me!

I dunno why Leili would do it the daft/hard way for nothing though so I’ll be wary of changing it. I hope the shop I’m going to go to is able to tell me why one way or the other is better or whatever. The way Leili does it is a pain to get stuff to line up that’s for sure. Maybe a bike guy will be able to throw it on quick smart, I hope!

Is RMK’s IGH running sweet now? I’m real happy for him. It’s a PITA when they give you problems! I keep missing days/weeks of posts!

I’m gonna keep the old IGH to take apart to see how it works and keep for spares. I’ll be glad when it’s not a problem no more and I don’t have to deal with Leili no more either, they are very hard to deal with when it comes to coughing up for parts or whatever.

Thanks, it was the outside hub nuts that were really loose on my bike. Not the 1reg (locking) and 1 thin nut on the inside next to the SA hub. I don't have a wrench thin enough to address those 2 nuts (just ordered some) and I'm sure you are right about over torqueing those as they appear to be spacers. I can't see how those nuts could become loose if the outside hub nuts were tight. I think the bike shop boys who removed the rear wheel for the Tannus install and did the cable replacement didn't tighten up the hub nuts. You might want to check yours.

I was told by Leili that Sturmey Archer charges them for shipping the hubs to them (e.g no warranty). I think they are under $200 MSLP to purchase but I couldn't find black ones like Leili uses.
The out side hub nut on the non drive side of mine seemed to “pop” in as strange as that sounds when I tightened those nuts a little. Like it was stuck on the threads of the bolt that runs right through the hub. I found it really strange. I dunno if mine was a total abortion of an install or what but I’m gonna get a bike shop to replace mine when I get it. They will be more familiar with this type of thing. I am done with tutorials from Leili “engineers” and getting my own hands dirty etc. I’ll be happy to hand it over, pay the guy and be done with it. I don’t mind tightening a nut, or even a little mechanical stuff but the IGH guts is too much for me. Lol

Here is the manual:
Actually I didn't do the shift cable replacement. A bike shop did this at the same time as the Tannus Insert installation. As the bike came from Leili, none of the adjustment marks lined up but it did shift fine for a while. Now the yellow alignment marks line up but it is still fiddly in terms of the fine cable tension adjustment. Too much so IMHO. If I didn't ride primarily in 4th and 5th gears it would bother me more but there are so many things I like about the MD 1000 I'll live with it until something better comes along. :)

Attachments

• IGH Alignment.jpg
    IGH Alignment.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 191
Do the Bikonit bikes have the correct vertical setting as I don’t see any complaints online from them?
Where (other than here) do you see any comments about these bikes? If your talking about Facebook, that is not a serious venue for product discussion or complaint registration/resolution. All you hear on the Bolton and Biktrix EBR threads on these bikes are crickets.

Actually I didn't do the shift cable replacement. A bike shop did this at the same time as the Tannus Insert installation. As the bike came from Leili, none of the adjustment marks lined up but it did shift fine for a while. Now the yellow alignment marks line up but it is still fiddly in terms of the fine cable tension adjustment. Too much so IMHO. If I didn't ride primarily in 4th and 5th gears it would bother me more but there are so many things I like about the MD 1000 I'll live with it until something better comes along. :)
I would personally love a dual battery fat bike with a middrive that has a built in transmission. A belt drive with a tensioner so it could have rear suspension. Maybe in a year or two lol.

The hub has a fixed bolt that runs right through it, it has 2 straight sides and 2 round sides so it can only be oriented 1 way in the slots. Depending if it’s V, S or Reverse will change the distance to where the cable locks off. You can only really see the hub nut once you’ve had it apart but you can see how it’s orientation will change if you look at the pictures on the installation leaflet Whitz posted.

Here is the manual:
Have you done any miles since changing it to V dropout bro? It may be the way around the “PITA gears” thing.

I haven’t yet, been raining
Let me know when you do and how it goes. I hope it works bro!

I swore when I parked mine up after the hub coming apart, I was done with it until it was going into the bike shop to be fixed by a professional. The wheel wobbling about like it’s drunk when your doing 20 mph fair gets your heart pumping! Makes you wonder a bit too and your trust in that set up is gone for sure!!

Let me know when you do and how it goes. I hope it works bro!

I swore when I parked mine up after the hub coming apart, I was done with it until it was going into the bike shop to be fixed by a professional. The wheel wobbling about like it’s drunk when your doing 20 mph fair gets your heart pumping! Makes you wonder a bit too and your trust in that set up is gone for sure!!
My wheels are out of tune, that's my next fix before riding it.

Back