Generic MD 1000 and HD 750 ebike model discussion

So is this a design flaw that will eventually happen to all the bikes over time and would a seat post shim as stated above help reduce the chance of it happening?
It has happened to exactly 1 bike and can't be correctly characterized as a design flaw. I have the same bike and have put over 1000 miles on it in 2 months and the seat tube looks as new.

So is this a design flaw that will eventually happen to all the bikes over time and would a seat post shim as stated above help reduce the chance of it happening?
I am hoping this was a quality issue at the factory, it was the first time I took this bike on a green level trail, the other times is just on the street. I'm trying to get an opinion from a welder. Maybe the metal got to hot, maybe their is too much play in the tube on this particular model. So far the frame builder argument is I had my seat post to high which isn't the case cause I have a short inseam then they implied I must have crashed it which wasn't the case either. Just trying to blame it on me.

Leili is trying to make it right by offering me a frame for free, but I have to pay for shipping. I am hoping I can gather more evidence so Leili can present that to the frame builders. It will be nice if the welder can work some magic and fix/improve the design. I had a couple ideas on how to that. Might just become an expensive parts bike...

I am hoping this was a quality issue at the factory, it was the first time I took this bike on a green level trail, the other times is just on the street. I'm trying to get an opinion from a welder. Maybe the metal got to hot, maybe their is too much play in the tube on this particular model. So far the frame builder argument is I had my seat post to high which isn't the case cause I have a short inseam then they implied I must have crashed it which wasn't the case either. Just trying to blame it on me.

Leili is trying to make it right by offering me a frame for free, but I have to pay for shipping. I am hoping I can gather more evidence so Leili can present that to the frame builders. It will be nice if the welder can work some magic and fix/improve the design. I had a couple ideas on how to that. Might just become an expensive parts bike...
Those are incredibly lame excuses. This is a catastrophic failure of a structural component of a very powerful machine that could have seriously inured the rider had it broken off while riding. Leili needs to stand by their product, not share their negotiations with subcontractors. The welds on your broken nearly new bike are beyond substandard. How did that pass anyone's QA process? It could also be as you stated a problem with either excessive heat on the seatpost tube or a manufacturing flaw with that alloy extrusion.

IMO, Leili should:
1. replace the bike free of charge and pay the return shipping on the defective one.
2. Send you a new frame and cover the cost of completely rebuilding the bike from the parts on the original bike.

You purchased 5 bikes from them and that should be additional motivation to make this right but really, it casts a long shadow on other brands using this frame. I'm talking about Bikonit and Biktrix and they should be supportive of this issue as it could very well have been one of their bikes that had this serious problem. Good luck with this and I know I will be checking my seat tube religiously ...

Last edited:
I got a Thudbuster 1 size too big by mistake so decided to sand it down but lost patience and threw it in the bin. That’s how I ended up with the Suntour but I am happy with it so it’s all good. It’s easy to set it for your weight and get it perfect. It’s also decent so all good.
When say your Thudbuster was one size too big what actual size was it ? I just got a 30.9mm Thudbuster and it won’t fit more than a few inches down into the 30.9mm seat post tube on my HD 750 . Apparently our seat post tubes are 30.9mm but the actual seat post that came with my bike says it is 30.0mm, so it has no problem fitting into the tube. Has anyone else had this problem or found a solution ?

Yes all the bikes had it. I wrote the key number on the sticker cause all the keys are different
Got it, with 4 keys per bike it would be a bit to handle. Maybe color code them? With all those damn keys I still managed to ride off on a long ride with an extra battery and when I was going to change out the battery I realized that I had forgotten to bring along a battery key. Barely limped home on ECO, PAS 1 ... lesson learned. :)

When say your Thudbuster was one size too big what actual size was it ? I just got a 30.9mm Thudbuster and it won’t fit more than a few inches down into the 30.9mm seat post tube on my HD 750 . Apparently our seat post tubes are 30.9mm but the actual seat post that came with my bike says it is 30.0mm, so it has no problem fitting into the tube. Has anyone else had this problem or found a solution ?
So the stock seatpost will fully insert into the tube but the Thudbuster won't? I believe it is a 30.9mm tube so no reason it shouldn't work. Do you have a caliper to check the Thudbuster tube OD?

So.... my rear hub split in half! Like 2 parts! I wish I had taken photos, I don’t know why I never! The spokes stopped it from actually falling apart. It happened when I was actually on it doing around 20mph! A proper “bum clencher” I’m in the process now of trying to get them to replace it. They have said they will after lots of back and forth arguing but they way me to pay $250 shipping also. Can’t believe I came on here to let you all know and they are at the same carry on with someone else. Unreal bro!

So.... my rear hub split in half! Like 2 parts! I wish I had taken photos, I don’t know why I never! The spokes stopped it from actually falling apart. It happened when I was actually on it doing around 20mph! A proper “bum clencher” I’m in the process now of trying to get them to replace it. They have said they will after lots of back and forth arguing but they way me to pay $250 shipping also. Can’t believe I came on here to let you all know and they are at the same carry on with someone else. Unreal bro!
The Sturmey Archer IGH split in half? I know this must be painful but more info needed. Pics etc.

I believe it says 300mm indicating total length. My old seatpost actually measures 30.4mm. I believe the shim I purchased for my Suntour NCX was a 27.2 to 30.4, not the 30.9 I had previously indicated.

It was the 31.6mm Thudbuster I got. I dumped that and got the 27.2 with a 30.9(I’m sure) and it fits like a glove but I did sand the bikes down tube for the seat a little too. Hope you get it sorted bro.

Edit.. it may be the 30.4 sleeve I have too after reading RMK’s post. I’m out now but will check when I get home in a few hours.

The Sturmey Archer IGH split in half? I know this must be painful but more info needed. Pics etc.
Yup, the Sturmey Archer IGH split in half!

The spokes kept the wheel together but both sides of the rim were wobbling about independent of each other! What a crazy weird feeling sensation! I was able to use the 2 nuts on the non drive side of the hub to tighten it back together when I got home and the use of proper tools but I think it needs a professional to fix if it, if that’s at all possible. I like adrenaline more than most but that was a proper “holy chit” moment!

I’ll let you know how I go.

Yup, the Sturmey Archer IGH split in half!

The spokes kept the wheel together but both sides of the rim were wobbling about independent of each other! What a crazy weird feeling sensation! I was able to use the 2 nuts on the non drive side of the hub to tighten it back together when I got home and the use of proper tools but I think it needs a professional to fix if it, if that’s at all possible. I like adrenaline more than most but that was a proper “holy chit” moment!

I’ll let you know how I go.
So ... it came apart. When you said split I kinda got the idea of shattered metal and jagged edges or something.

So ... it came apart. When you said split I kinda got the idea of shattered metal and jagged edges or something.
Yes it came apart but the spokes stop it from actually being in two pieces. The best way to explain it is the wheel stayed together but both tire rims were wobbling about independently.
One side and the outer casing of the IGH stayed together and the other side and the insides tried to come apart but the spokes only let this come apart so far. On the non drive side of the IGH there are 2 nuts that tighten on each other to form a locking nut.

You just did me (and others here) a solid Terry. I grabbed some tools and raced out to the bike and the left (disk brake) wheel hub nut was loose. I'm talking finger tighten loose. I also noticed a small gap between the 2 small nuts just outside the left side of the SA and the frame. After tightening both hub nuts that gap disappeared.

After my cable replacement and getting the adjustment marks perfectly lined up it has been shifting great. Yesterday I rode about 45 miles (I'm just under 1200 miles on the OD) and I noticed an occasional clunking from the SA when pedaling hard. I'm pretty sure the loose wheel hub nuts were the culprit and I was probably very close to having what happed to you happen to me. Thanks again for posting this my friend!
I’m not sure exactly how tight this should be bro so be careful. I think with the 2 nuts set up it’s obviously being used as a lock nut to lock it at a certain point. Maybe not tighten it right up to start with. Just until there is no play in the IGH then use the 2nd nut to lock in that position. Make it lock by easing off the inside nut on to the outside nut and ratchet that up if that makes sense. I know it’s a bit of a all over the place description but hope it helps. Leili are trying for all they are worth to not replace it and defo not without me paying $250 shipping. I’m pretty disgusted with them to be honest.

You just did me (and others here) a solid Terry. I grabbed some tools and raced out to the bike and the left (disk brake) wheel hub nut was loose. I'm talking finger tighten loose. I also noticed a small gap between the 2 small nuts just outside the left side of the SA and the frame. After tightening both hub nuts that gap disappeared.

After my cable replacement and getting the adjustment marks perfectly lined up it has been shifting great. Yesterday I rode about 45 miles (I'm just under 1200 miles on the OD) and I noticed an occasional clunking from the SA when pedaling hard. I'm pretty sure the loose wheel hub nuts were the culprit and I was probably very close to having what happed to you happen to me. Thanks again for posting this my friend!
No problem at all brother. I know how I felt when it happened and will do whatever I can to save any of you from the same.

I’m not sure exactly how tight this should be bro so be careful. I think with the 2 nuts set up it’s obviously being used as a lock nut to lock it at a certain point. Maybe not tighten it right up to start with. Just until there is no play in the IGH then use the 2nd nut to lock in that position. Make it lock by easing off the inside nut on to the outside nut and ratchet that up if that makes sense. I know it’s a bit of a all over the place description but hope it helps. Leili are trying for all they are worth to not replace it and defo not without me paying $250 shipping. I’m pretty disgusted with them to be honest.
Thanks, it was the outside hub nuts that were really loose on my bike. Not the 1reg (locking) and 1 thin nut on the inside next to the SA hub. I don't have a wrench thin enough to address those 2 nuts (just ordered some) and I'm sure you are right about over torqueing those as they appear to be spacers. I can't see how those nuts could become loose if the outside hub nuts were tight. I think the bike shop boys who removed the rear wheel for the Tannus install and did the cable replacement didn't tighten up the hub nuts. You might want to check yours.

I was told by Leili that Sturmey Archer charges them for shipping the hubs to them (e.g no warranty). I think they are under $200 MSLP to purchase but I couldn't find black ones like Leili uses.

Last edited:
Is anyone else getting the run-around on their delivery? My bike supposedly shipped on the 11th of November. The ship hit rough seas and the container has been stuck in Japan since December. Apparently there are 55 other bikes besides mine. Alibaba Trade Assurance has been zero help.

Back