Generic MD 1000 and HD 750 ebike model discussion

My yellow marks are off a bit 4-5mm and the cable adjustment does nothing to reduce or expand that gap. 5th and 4th are fairly reliable but the low gears are not responding well to pedal pressure. A local bike shop spent 30 minutes or so on it and they said good to go. After leaving it was worse and I think they cut the cable length down as now their is virtually no extra cable. Another shop said I need a new shift cable as it's too short. I love the IGH in theory and practice but now I feel like I have a 2 speed which is fine for most of my riding but getting it right is an imperative. Finding someone with the experience/skill to set it up properly is my issue.
I wish I had a work frame, one that holds your bike up to whatever height & angle you need to work on it. That would make it so much easier and save a ton of time. Right now it’s like a cross between some yoga and a few MMA moves to get at the underside of the IGH. Getting the wee nut on and off the selector is a whole other thing. I could use a 3rd arm sometimes too. The work frame would negate all of that. I may invest in one....

I’ve had the two yellow lines dead on and it didn’t sort it 100% so I’m having to to go from maybe an inch past the dead on point to however far past it until it sorts it. I must’ve had it apart 6 - 8 times already.

I will get it but it’s going to be a slow process. Having nothing to use as s guide and teaching myself to do it when I have ZERO experience is not handy at all. It’s all good learning as much of a PITA as it is.

That's ^ all very reassuring ... :eek:

I have a bike stand and it does get it off the floor but not by much. It has a 60lb limit so the 70lb MD1000 (minus batteries) is pushing it. I have had it shift perfectly in all gears on the stand and then it gaks shifting under load. Mine did shift fine out of the box so I wonder what happened, I've got 800 miles (90% in 5th gear) and 5th has always performed well so there is that. With the weather getting warmer I want to go off road and need the low gears working correctly for that more intense riding.

That's ^ all very reassuring ... :eek:

I have a bike stand and it does get it off the floor but not by much. It has a 60lb limit so the 70lb MD1000 (minus batteries) is pushing it. I have had it shift perfectly in all gears on the stand and then it gaks shifting under load. Mine did shift fine out of the box so I wonder what happened, I've got 800 miles (90% in 5th gear) and 5th has always performed well so there is that. With the weather getting warmer I want to go off road and need the low gears working correctly for that more intense riding.
It’s probably just the cable settling that’s been enough to knock it off perfect. It doesn’t take much to make a difference. I’m moving it in 5-10mm jumps and using the wee nut at the shifter to catch in between. It’s very sensitive to real small movements.

It’s probably just the cable settling that’s been enough to knock it off perfect. It doesn’t take much to make a difference. I’m moving it in 5-10mm jumps and using the wee nut at the shifter to catch in between. It’s very sensitive to real small movements.
I try to drag the rear brake to put some load on igh when making the adjustments

I try to drag the rear brake to put some load on igh when making the adjustments
That’s a great idea. I’ll for sure give it a try. I’m busy today, but weather permitting I’ll give it a go tomorrow and see if it helps. It’ll save having to go for a test run each time so should make it so much easier. 👍

Maybe a rubber band on the rear brake handle?
Update:
That worked well. All gears shifting under light load (wide rubber band on the brake handle). Noticed a single strand of the brake cable is broken. Looks like a cable replacement is in order.

Last edited:
As I am over 800 miles clocked on the MD 1000 and I was wondering if anyone else is riding that much or more?

Last edited:
As I am over 800 miles clocked on the MD 1000 and I was wondering if anyone else is riding that much or more?
Good idea with the rubber band. I’m just over 200 miles on mine. I’ll get out more during our summer. There’s been loads of snow and ice since I got mine. The MAXXIS tires are good on the ice when you really lower the PSI. I had mine as low as 5 PSI and they were fine. Not as good as studded but did ok for just being knobby tires.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actual range test report

First, commuted to work all week with no flats, happy with the Tannus Armour. Remember I couldn't go 20 miles without a flat before I got the inserts.

Today I could finally try for a long ride. Odometer says 48 miles, but based on previous test GPS vs display on speedometer, I think that's 53 miles. Google maps is not cooperating so I can't confirm.

I started thinking I'd stay in PAS 1 and never hit the throttle, unless my legs wore out. My legs held up but I got blisters on my hands, so as I neared home with about 10 miles to go and 37% showing, I triggered throttle to about half. Down to 10% I started to worry, then remembered that 10% on this bike is 25% on a typical bike. Actually got home with 6% showing. When power got to 17%, throttle didn't want to enage in high gear but mid was still okay and it hit 20mph on fairly level ground going upwind.

So yeah, I think it could go 60 miles if I could, in conditions of moderate wind (20mph gusting to 30) and modest hills. I tried to plot a fairly level course, but still dropped 1500' going 2 towns east, then back up. Also, on the way out, I tried to avoid the highway, which took me a few miles out of my way and up a 7% grade, the steepest I hit. I just put it in low gear and pedaled patiently 6mph or so. The off-highway route also involved 7 miles on a dirt road, which out here means sand, some of it quite loose. Fat tires might be better on sand than narrow ones but I wouldn't call them good, and I had to put my feet down a couple of times to catch a fall. Feathering the throttle might have helped steady me but I was trying to avoid that. The not-so-soft parts were deep washboards, and even with air fork and seat post and fat tires, quite rough, but the technical challenge was kind of fun and would have been more so if I weren't trying so hard to conserve range. I averaged about 10mph - call it 12 if you leave out the sand and hills - and I was keeping a slow cadence against the kind of resistance that kept me in a European power range, like 250W for most of the ride. When younger I rode faster without the help. On this ride, I only felt that burning sensation in my legs a few times, but I've been prepping with potassium and vitamin C.

Used mid-range and even lowish gears often, which I never do on my commute, but I still never hit granny gear. I think maybe a bigger chain ring is indicated and wonder why they don't go with one, if there'd be a problem maybe if starting from stop in high gear with this bike's motor on 52 teeth.

Gotta admit, I was starting to feel some buyer's remorse for the hassles I've had, but knowing the range claim is legit makes me feel a lot better. Also riding without worrying about flat tires or lost batteries made this ride a better experience. And I never threw my chain.

I haven't been on a long ride since I moved to this steep, hot, windy desert, and not for lack of trying, so on balance this feels awesome even if I ache everywhere.

Last edited:
Certainly plan to be, going forward. I had to wait for my tire inserts, but this week my bike has been my car and I put 100 miles on it. So 100 miles per week at least, maybe 150 when week days get long to ride after work.

I tried, or went to try using the rear brake to put some drag on the rear wheel when adjusting the IGH then I had a “lightbulb moment”. The cut off sensor would scupper it before any drag was applied. Have any of you messed with the sensor? I have never messed with one before.

I tried, or went to try using the rear brake to put some drag on the rear wheel when adjusting the IGH then I had a “lightbulb moment”. The cut off sensor would scupper it before any drag was applied. Have any of you messed with the sensor? I have never messed with one before.
Although it would be nice, you don't need the motor to adjust the IGH. I removed the batteries to lighten the bike (out of concern for my bike stand) and my last adjustment seems to be working reasonably well. The fraying shift cable is a concern needs to be replaced and I'm looking for a bike mechanic with experience with SA IGH.

BTW, my bottom battery fell off while I was going down a big asphalt trail hill. I was going mid 20's mph and ran over it with the back tire. Amazingly, it had some road rash but it and the bike were fine. Good as new with a little sand paper and flat black paint. I was very lucky and avoided a $500+ oops.

That battery lock can be difficult to engage but it is the only thing preventing this auto ejection. Checking that is now part of my pre-ride routine.

Last edited:
I adjust the igh with the power off and I from gear two to five and five to two with the back wheel off the ground.

That battery lock can be difficult to engage but it is the only thing preventing this auto ejection. Checking that is now part of my pre-ride routine.

My top battery is now capable of seating properly but takes a firm press; I routinely check that both batteries are secure and then engage the sliders to be even more sure - I'm trying to turn it into a good habit. Batteries are expensive, might take a long time to arrive, and a worse scenario is damage a flying brick can cause.

So I ordered my MD1000 on Nov. 30th from Leili and it will be at my doorstep in NY tomorrow. Just about 3 months on the nose which I was able to expect and not sweat about after reading about the wait times you all experienced. Anyway, rather than search through our long thread here, I was wondering if any owners could remind me of the code I need and required steps to unlock the speed controller. Thanks in advance and BTW, Yes, I'm excited lol.

So I ordered my MD1000 on Nov. 30th from Leili and it will be at my doorstep in NY tomorrow. Just about 3 months on the nose which I was able to expect and not sweat about after reading about the wait times you all experienced. Anyway, rather than search through our long thread here, I was wondering if any owners could remind me of the code I need and required steps to unlock the speed controller. Thanks in advance and BTW, Yes, I'm excited lol.
Answered my own question. Sorry about that! I'll let you guys know how it all works out with my bike once I get it together.

You'd do that from the display on your handlebars. You actually don't have to unlock it, just set the "max speed" to the highest it will go in your settings.
On your controller hit the "I" button twice real quick and that takes you into the settings, use the + & - buttons to scroll up and down and "I" to select what you want. After you've set the "max speed" go to "exit" and you're done! I don't think you need to use the pass code but i am sure it's "1919" if you do.

Easy as the my friend 👍

Back