Generic MD 1000 and HD 750 ebike model discussion

I got out for a decent run today. The first good run since I replaced the gear shifter and cable. I had a couple of dodgy sounding gear crunches that just came out of no where, just riding along and it sounded like I made a bad change although I never touched it. It never did that before the cable snapped. I noticed each time it happened I stopped and went through the steps to tune the two yellow lines on the rear hub. Each time it was a little bit out when I know I got it spot on the time before. I think it may just be the cable settling in but that’s another problem with getting a bike from China instead of a LBS. I’ll keep you all updated in case it happens to any of you.

Is it a 27.2mm diameter post on these bikes? I'm checking out several styles, mostly dropper posts. That NCX looks sweet Terry
Yes it’s nice buddy. I’m sure I had to get a sleeve with it. I’ll check when I get home and let you know what one fits.

Yes, I got the 30.4 sleeve with it. Fits perfect. 👍

Attachments

• E78288DB-C507-47C3-8E07-899E46300D9A.jpeg
    E78288DB-C507-47C3-8E07-899E46300D9A.jpeg
    367.9 KB · Views: 174
I’ve been messing with the gear selector cable on mine since my cable snapped and I renewed the whole trigger shifter and cable. On mine the yellow lines are around 3/4 of an inch apart for the gears to be perfect with no random clunks or crunches. The yellow paint on one side has fallen off and it’s just a etched out line now. This is a pic of how they line up in 2nd gear. Strange!

Attachments

• D566ECB0-CD5A-400A-A8FA-A10CF32E6F97.jpeg
    D566ECB0-CD5A-400A-A8FA-A10CF32E6F97.jpeg
    252.6 KB · Views: 189
I’ve been messing with the gear selector cable on mine since my cable snapped and I renewed the whole trigger shifter and cable. On mine the yellow lines are around 3/4 of an inch apart for the gears to be perfect with no random clunks or crunches. The yellow paint on one side has fallen off and it’s just a etched out line now. This is a pic of how they line up in 2nd gear. Strange!
Yes it is strange. That yellow line misalignment must due to the original setup. Mine has a gap similar to yours. When I have tried the IGH adjustment I put the bike on my stand and it shifts all gears fine. I assume this is due to no load on the drive train. When riding 5th and 4th gears work fine, 3rd is unusable while 2nd and 1st seem OK but I almost never use them. I'm going to try and get it sorted out at my LBS.

Yes it is strange. That yellow line misalignment must due to the original setup. Mine has a gap similar to yours. When I have tried the IGH adjustment I put the bike on my stand and it shifts all gears fine. I assume this is due to no load on the drive train. When riding 5th and 4th gears work fine, 3rd is unusable while 2nd and 1st seem OK but I almost never use them. I'm going to try and get it sorted out at my LBS.
When I first made the change I was getting random clunks in certain gears and as I adjusted the wee nut just where the cable enters the trigger shifter the clunks would change to different gears and how much it happened would also change. I was trying to stick to using the yellow marks as your supposed to. I got fed up going round in circles and getting no where fast so thought “phuk this” and tried just doing it by ear and feel and ended up with the yellow marks quite a bit out but now I get no clunks and it shifts smooth as butter. I was heading home as it was starting to rain when it sounded the best it has since the change so I only got around 20 mins to test in all gears. I’ll get out tomorrow weather permitting and give it a proper run through all gears at all different stages of making the motor work. It seems it can all sound fine then when you “ring it’s bell” it starts making noises or vice versa. I’ll post what results I get after a proper test. Fingers crossed.

That’s what’s cool about the group when it comes to things like this now a few of us have our bikes. We have a few bikes to check against or test or whatever.

Going to take it for a 22 mile run tomorrow that’s pretty much level most of the way with a couple of so so hills so that should about do it. Hope it stops that noise, it’s so annoying!!

Just noticed, I’ll need to change my avatar as my bike looks a bit different now too!

Last edited by a moderator:
My two yellow lines are on the other side of the igh.

My two yellow lines are on the other side of the igh.
How do you mean “the other side”? The non drive side or more towards the front of the bike? There must be different IGH’s and different ways to set them up.

“I see, I see” says the blind man to his deaf brother... 🤪

I hadn’t noticed the lines under there!! Now I look the adjustments I made on my own were quite near those lines underneath by pure luck. I’ve adjusted mine a little to match up properly with those but it’s late here now. I’ll get out tomorrow and test and let you know how I go. How did you see those under there? I was right in about there when changing the cable and never saw them! Lol

Well spotted bro! 👍

“I see, I see” says the blind man to his deaf brother... 🤪

I hadn’t noticed the lines under there!! Now I look the adjustments I made on my own were quite near those lines underneath by pure luck. I’ve adjusted mine a little to match up properly with those but it’s late here now. I’ll get out tomorrow and test and let you know how I go. How did you see those under there? I was right in about there when changing the cable and never saw them! Lol

Well spotted bro! 👍
I knew there had to be two yellow lines somewhere, took me awhile to find it lol I knew I could get the yellow and red line to line up, plus that is for a vertical dropout. We have a standard dropout

So... I found a great use for the front basket on these bikes today, if you’re not using it for hunting purposes.

I tore my rear pannier almost in half after getting it caught on the back of a barrier post, this resulted in its contents going flying all over the pavement! Damn roadworks!!
I was able to gather up all the contents and stuff it back in the ripped in half pannier and strap it into the front basket and it held pretty good.
It also had little to no affect on the handling of the bike. I may dump the pannier idea and just strap a backpack in there on a more permanent basis. Then if I’m parking up I can just stuff the batteries in my pack and take them with me and lock the rest of the bike up. We’ll see.

I did intend on going for a decent run today but after heading home and sorting the pannier issue out the day was more or less burst. I got some testing with the gears done and it seems ok. I would like to get a more thorough test though, going through all the gears with all different amounts of power and rates of torque being used. There was a couple of wee clunks here and there but I think this can be sorted with a few more small adjustments now I’m looking at the correct side of the hub. Lol

Awe, man! Sorting this gear cable is a Royal PITA!!

Trying to get it 100% sweet for all gears at all different doses of power is

AARRRGGGHHHH!!!!

Like...

AAARRRGGGHHHH....

AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!

It’s murder!! 🤬🤬🤬

Awe, man! Sorting this gear cable is a Royal PITA!!

Trying to get it 100% sweet for all gears at all different doses of power is

AARRRGGGHHHH!!!!

Like...

AAARRRGGGHHHH....

AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!

It’s murder!! 🤬🤬🤬
its definitely tricky dialing it in perfect. All of my bikes are slightly different. The picture I posted earlier was good for that bike. No skips in any of the assist setting.

I wonder if you have something worn out/broken in your igh

Last edited:
its definitely tricky dialing it in perfect. All of my bikes are slightly different. The picture I posted earlier was good for that bike. No skips in any of the assist setting.

I wonder if you have something worn out/broken in your igh
I dunno, maybe. If it keeps doing my head in there will be more than the IGH broken! Lol

I dunno, maybe. If it keeps doing my head in there will be more than the IGH broken! Lol
I am playing of course.... I’ll get it dialled in. It’s not too far away just now but it would almost be as well being miles out. You just need to persevere.

My yellow marks are off a bit 4-5mm and the cable adjustment does nothing to reduce or expand that gap. 5th and 4th are fairly reliable but the low gears are not responding well to pedal pressure. A local bike shop spent 30 minutes or so on it and they said good to go. After leaving it was worse and I think they cut the cable length down as now their is virtually no extra cable. Another shop said I need a new shift cable as it's too short. I love the IGH in theory and practice but now I feel like I have a 2 speed which is fine for most of my riding but getting it right is an imperative. Finding someone with the experience/skill to set it up properly is my issue.

Back