Generic MD 1000 and HD 750 ebike model discussion

Actually I've tried to break this thing and I can't. Here's some photos and videos of the adventure.... https://photos.app.goo.gl/k4c6ML7YR5CjtQqA8
Well done KOOB, you obviously have some skills but a "don't try this at home" admonition is in order. My E14 seems too good to be true but your comments are giving me more confidence that I may, with proper maintenance (regular oil changes) see good to excellent longevity from this drivetrain. There are some Rholoff detractors who claim oil leaking is a common problem. My anecdotal take is most who have the issue live in cold climates and the Rholoff hub is exposed to wide temp changes which effects the seals and can cause oil leaks. Like you, I live in CA and our mild climate seems a better match for the Rholoff 14.

I had excellent results with the SRAM swap out but bought the MD 1000 primarily due to the concept of a belt drive IGH and was hugely disappointed. Based upon your experience, ordering the MD 1000 with the Rholoff 14 might be the way to go.

Well done KOOB, you obviously have some skills but a "don't try this at home" admonition is in order. My E14 seems too good to be true but your comments are giving me more confidence that I may, with proper maintenance (regular oil changes) see good to excellent longevity from this drivetrain. There are some Rholoff detractors who claim oil leaking is a common problem. My anecdotal take is most who have the issue live in cold climates and the Rholoff hub is exposed to wide temp changes which effects the seals and can cause oil leaks. Like you, I live in CA and our mild climate seems a better match for the Rholoff 14.

I had excellent results with the SRAM swap out but bought the MD 1000 primarily due to the concept of a belt drive IGH and was hugely disappointed. Based upon your experience, ordering the MD 1000 with the Rholoff 14 might be the way to go.
Yes indeed!!!

Due to some customs regulations apparently FTH POWER cannot ship batteries directly to Canada , has anyone tried to fix the batteries?
If so, how did it go and do you have any advice to give me before I start.

My contact Cindy said the repair is easy my engineer friend says no its not and said to send the batterie back Cindy said they tested 1000 batteries and found only 1 defective and might not be bad but don't want to chance it especially on a new bike I ordered the MD 750
Just tried to log into Bikonit USA website and it is down? Anyone know why?

Can you charge the MD1000 with 1 charger when both batteries attached to the bike? I am seeing some people say that you need 2 chargers but that is probably for taking the battery off the bike and charging separately. Also what kind of plug does the battery need? Mini-xlr?

Can you charge the MD1000 with 1 charger when both batteries attached to the bike? I am seeing some people say that you need 2 chargers but that is probably for taking the battery off the bike and charging separately. Also what kind of plug does the battery need? Mini-xlr?
The charge port on the bike will charge both batteries. The port on the bike is like a mini xlr. When off the bike the batteries need a charger for each battery you are charging.

The charge port on the bike will charge both batteries. The port on the bike is like a mini xlr. When off the bike the batteries need a charger for each battery you are charging.
Excellent thank you, ordering with a rohloff soon!

Excellent thank you, ordering with a rohloff soon!
parts required:
rohloff speedhub 500/14 CC DB OEM2 XXL 32H

rohloff Fat Bone for 203mm Rotors
- post mount brake adapter for (190/97)

Gates Carbon Drive Rear Belt Sprocket
- 22T for speedhub
- Splined interface
- Exp Version

These guys can help. They can send you a new wheel all set up. all you have to do is widen the dropouts so the hub fits... i used my drill press for that. thankfully the drop outs are removable.... also use QR Skewer on the rear...

Due to some customs regulations apparently FTH POWER cannot ship batteries directly to Canada , has anyone tried to fix the batteries?
If so, how did it go and do you have any advice to give me before I start.
I just got both batteries back... haven't field tested yet, but i'll do that this weekend and let ya know if my range is still the same...

parts required:

- 22T for speedhub
- Splined interface
- Exp Version

These guys can help. They can send you a new wheel all set up. all you have to do is widen the dropouts so the hub fits... i used my drill press for that. thankfully the drop outs are removable.... also use QR Skewer on the rear...
Thanks but the Alibaba supplier actually sells the bike with the rohloff e-14 already installed. One question that I had about the rohloff just to confirm is that there have been no reported issues with it and the bafang ultra 1000 watt motor right? As long as you shift properly you shouldnt run into any issues. I was reading the the SA IGH motor that they cant handle the higher torque load and fold up inside...

I've got another question. Is it recommended to buy a second pair of batteries if for example they don't continue to supply batteries in the future or can these 21700 batteries be rebuilt. Given how you would have to pay for additional shipping costs buying a second pair of batteries it might make sense to get the second set, plus more range I wanted to take this on a weekend trip.

Last edited:
Thanks but the Alibaba supplier actually sells the bike with the rohloff e-14 already installed. One question that I had about the rohloff just to confirm is that there have been no reported issues with it and the bafang ultra 1000 watt motor right? As long as you shift properly you shouldnt run into any issues. I was reading the the SA IGH motor that they cant handle the higher torque load and fold up inside...

I've got another question. Is it recommended to buy a second pair of batteries if for example they don't continue to supply batteries in the future or can these 21700 batteries be rebuilt. Given how you would have to pay for additional shipping costs buying a second pair of batteries it might make sense to get the second set, plus more range I wanted to take this on a weekend trip.
Are you sure it's the E14 Rohloff that Leili is supplying? My understanding is is the non-electric version Rohloff Speed Hub 14.

BTW, I have the E14 on another ebike and it is a fantastic IGH but any IGH can be damaged if your not careful shifting under load. The Bafang Ultra motor makes that even more essential. My E14 bike is a pedelec (no throttle) and has the Bosch 350W mid-drive motor with chain drive that is integrated with the Rohloff E14. It cuts motor power when shifting but due to my Sturmey Archer experience, I am very careful shifting e.g. not under load.

Last edited:
parts required:

- 22T for speedhub
- Splined interface
- Exp Version

Cycle Monkey is just minutes away from where I live. They are a great resource in general and expert in all things Rohloff.

I purchased 2 additional batteries after the initial MD 1000 purchase for the same reasons you cite. I found that with my riding style, I was only able to get 40-50 miles out of my 2 battery setup. If you order them at the time of bike purchase and they can some how ship them in the bike box or container that would be the cheapest way to get it done and is certainly worth exploring with Yeili.

Are you sure it's the E14 Rohloff that Leili is supplying? My understanding is is the non-electric version Rohloff Speed Hub 14.

BTW, I have the E14 on another ebike and it is a fantastic IGH but any IGH can be damaged if your not careful shifting under load. The Bafang Ultra motor makes that even more essential. My E14 bike is a pedelec (no throttle) and has the Bosch 350W mid-drive motor with chain drive that is integrated with the Rohloff E14. It cuts motor power when shifting but due to my Sturmey Archer experience, I am very careful shifting e.g. not under load.
Well that's a good tip for sure I'm just saying I've tried to break the damn thing and I couldn't yet. I did leave the motor cut off shift sensor intact though

This is the exact model, it looks like I would need to get the e-14 addon separate. Can you retrofit the e-14 onto the MD1000 with the rohloff 500/14XL?

This is the exact model, it looks like I would need to get the e-14 addon separate. Can you retrofit the e-14 onto the MD1000 with the rohloff 500/14XL?

that will not work 177mm too small... you need this:
Speedhub 500/14 CC DB OEM2 XXL, black anodized,
32H
- 190mm Fat Bike Version

1631904261126.png

with

Back