Folding bike capable to go through steep streets? Help me decide!

arturonuman

Hi everyone!

I'm new to e-bikes and I'm looking for a folding one (because of the storage space) capable of going through some steep streets.
Are there any specs that I should be paying close attention to in order to make a good decision? Or better yet, Do you know any folding e-bike that I should be looking at?
I live in Mexico so my plan is to buy it in USA and bring it down to Mexico myself.

I'll be doing a 6mi ride with some pretty steep sections, and hopefully, the following image will help to demonstrate those sections that I'm talking about:

Here in Mexico we don't have too many e-bike options and seems like the best one is one called Playa from Moovers e-bikes and it only offers the following specs:
  • 500W motor 36V
  • Max Speed 23 mph (pedal-assisted a bit more)
  • 36V 11.6Ah lithium battery
  • 31-43 miles per charge
  • Charging time: 1-4 hrs
  • Front/Rear lights
  • Disk brakes
  • 20″ fat tires
  • Crank Set: 52T
  • Derailleur: Shimano Tx50-7
  • Disk brakes
  • Fork/Rear Suspensions
  • Weight: 62lb
  • Price: Around 1,320usd (tax included)

Do you think those specs are enough or do I need a better hub-motor on a folding bike for steep streets?

Thanks for the help!
Arturo

Last edited:
Basically your common 20" fat tire folding bike with a 500W motor. Everyone and his dog sells one. I got one. They all have a good high gear for pedal assisted hill climb.

Is that last hilly section mean you climb 200 feet in one mile? No problem with these bikes. Even 200 feet in a half mile is no ptoblem. Just gear up help your motor out with your feet,

I highly recommend not trying to import through Mexican customs. GE lost an oscilloscope I sent through a respected forwarder. A friend who tried to take down 100 tents for earthquake relief had half of them taken when he refused to pay a bribe. Your country needs to move police & customs every year the way the FBI did in the 1930's, to prevent local organization.

Back