Trying to find a first Ebike. Help a newbie out.

NJMalamuteExplorer

Region
USA
Hello,
So i'm looking to buy my first Ebike. A-bit about me and what I'm looking for.
I'm around 330lb's, 6' tall, I've had maybe 2 bikes my entire life from walmart (some no name mountain bike and a "mongoose" fat tire bike). I have no specifics about where I'll be driving the ebike (it's not like I was going out on mtb specific trails or anything) but I'd say all around anything, without any extremes. But I'd prefer fat tires or mtb tires since those are what I've had. I would like one that has an straight up throttle to really help with some hills in the area. Also I think I'd prefer to stick to bike looking ebikes. Since the motorcycle looking ones might be treated like a motorcycle and I don't want to deal with that hassle. Good after purchase support is also a huge plus.

SO i've been looking at a-few ebikes. Looking to spend under $5,000. Mid drive I guess would be preferred.
-Biktrix Juggernaut Ultra Duo 2 (Extra battery 52V 21Ah 1118Wh, tektro quad pistol hydraulic brakes, canecreek thudbuster LT, promend SD-560 saddle upgrades) with the MTB wheels and speed limiter 19mph/500W. Unsure if i can remove the limiter later.) <- It can be ordered with these upgrades, I don't know enough to actually do upgrades myself at this point.
-Kepler 52V Electric Fat Tire Bike
-Grizzly - 52V Dual Motor.
-New RipCurrent S.

Any help would be appreciated! If the e-bikes are not in backorder it is a huge plus.

So I'm a big fan of buying bikes from a LBS. Especially if you are going to be spending $5,000.00. Also, I suggest doing a lot of research. Obviously the forum's a great starting point. In your price range I would steer towards a Specialized, Trek, Giant or other major brands that can be serviced locally. Although I purchased my first bike over the Internet (Rad), I would not do it again.

Given your size, budget and needs, take a look at the offerings from EVELO - Outstanding bikes built in Taiwan, 4 year/20,000 mile warranty, great responsive support team and bike built to handle up to 350 pounds.

They have a brand new model that should be available to ship within the next two weeks.
https://evelo.com/products/omega?variant=40614278561903 - Step through, mid drive 750 watt 115nm torque sensing Dapu motor, carbon belt, autoshifting Enviolo CVT, 720 watt in-frame battery with second battery option for longer range.

So I'm a big fan of buying bikes from a LBS. Especially if you are going to be spending $5,000.00. Also, I suggest doing a lot of research. Obviously the forum's a great starting point. In your price range I would steer towards a Specialized, Trek, Giant or other major brands that can be serviced locally. Although I purchased my first bike over the Internet (Rad), I would not do it again.
I'd like to do local but my close local ones only have Pedego or Aventon. From what I was told Pedego isn't that up to speed with modern stuff but has great support and Aventon doesn't have mid drive / throttle (atleast the ones in the shop didn't)
From my research Ripcurrent S seemed ok, biktrix customized hit the max of my budget and their support seemed ok with their response times. And i've heard literally nothing but good things about Ariels models (Grizzly dual motor flagship and Kepler more of a mountain bike since I don't know how good the Grizzly would do pedaling)

Given your size, budget and needs, take a look at the offerings from EVELO - Outstanding bikes built in Taiwan, 4 year/20,000 mile warranty, great responsive support team and bike built to handle up to 350 pounds.

They have a brand new model that should be available to ship within the next two weeks.
https://evelo.com/products/omega?variant=40614278561903 - Step through, mid drive 750 watt 115nm torque sensing Dapu motor, carbon belt, autoshifting Enviolo CVT, 720 watt in-frame battery with second battery option for longer range.

Appreciate it! I'll look into it, though I don't much care for the step through design, and Taiwan is pretty far away.

Appreciate it! I'll look into it, though I don't much care for the step through design, and Taiwan is pretty far away.
Evelo is an American company established in 2012 that designs there own bikes and manufactures them in Taiwan. The others you are looking at are from China (even further away and with looser manufacturing standards). Of all the direct to consumer companies out there they have the best warranty and service record. Their bikes are warehoused and shipped out of Seattle which is also where their warranty center is located. I have been a strictly LBS/ Bosch guy until I bought my Evelo Aurora Ltd. I've been totally impressed by the products, the people and the service. By the way their midrive Dapu powered bike do come with a throttle, if that is something you are looking for. their customer satisfaction guarantee is pretty amazing as well Free 21-day, At-Home Trial for all new bike purchases. The clock doesn’t start until your bike is delivered, so have confidence in your purchase. If your EVELO is not the right fit for whatever reason, we’ll pay for return shipping and send you a replacement bike -or- issue a full refund. No restocking fees, return shipping, or charges of any kind.
In the USA step through bike have been sold as "womens bikes" In Europe they are sold to anyone who needs easy mount and dismount due to age or infirmity, lack of flexiblity...regardless of sex.

If you mail order, just be sure you have some basic skills. Otherwise sticking with your LBS is a good idea. I have an Ultra duo 3, 11sp, stock brakes seem to work fine for me but I’m not a overly big person. Lots of torq for hills and if you like to haul ass, it will do such. I’ve been happy and had no issues thus far. I can do my own maintenance as needed. Many people order a bike and when it shows up and needs some adjustments for UPS or FedX banged the box around some, folks get pissed. My box was in perfect condition from Canada but some have not been so lucky. Something to think about regardless who you purchase from.

If you mail order, just be sure you have some basic skills. Otherwise sticking with your LBS is a good idea. I have an Ultra duo 3, 11sp, stock brakes seem to work fine for me but I’m not a overly big person. Lots of torq for hills and if you like to haul ass, it will do such. I’ve been happy and had no issues thus far. I can do my own maintenance as needed. Many people order a bike and when it shows up and needs some adjustments for UPS or FedX banged the box around some, folks get pissed. My box was in perfect condition from Canada but some have not been so lucky. Something to think about regardless who you purchase from.
Did you end up going with the limiter or unlimited options? Trying to find out if I can get it limited and make it unlimited later if I want, or if it's worth just going straight up unlimited from the get go and manually keep my speeds down.

(Motor getting limited to 19mph and 500W from the unlimited mph and 1000W)
1654459506990.png

Hello,
So i'm looking to buy my first Ebike. A-bit about me and what I'm looking for.
I'm around 330lb's, 6' tall, I've had maybe 2 bikes my entire life from walmart (some no name mountain bike and a "mongoose" fat tire bike). I have no specifics about where I'll be driving the ebike (it's not like I was going out on mtb specific trails or anything) but I'd say all around anything, without any extremes. But I'd prefer fat tires or mtb tires since those are what I've had. I would like one that has an straight up throttle to really help with some hills in the area. Also I think I'd prefer to stick to bike looking ebikes. Since the motorcycle looking ones might be treated like a motorcycle and I don't want to deal with that hassle. Good after purchase support is also a huge plus.

SO i've been looking at a-few ebikes. Looking to spend under $5,000. Mid drive I guess would be preferred.
-Biktrix Juggernaut Ultra Duo 2 (Extra battery 52V 21Ah 1118Wh, tektro quad pistol hydraulic brakes, canecreek thudbuster LT, promend SD-560 saddle upgrades) with the MTB wheels and speed limiter 19mph/500W. Unsure if i can remove the limiter later.) <- It can be ordered with these upgrades, I don't know enough to actually do upgrades myself at this point.
-Kepler 52V Electric Fat Tire Bike
-Grizzly - 52V Dual Motor.
-New RipCurrent S.

Any help would be appreciated! If the e-bikes are not in backorder it is a huge plus.
Apparently AllState insurance treats all ebikes as motorcycles so that is something to consider even if your bike looks like a bike as my Priority Current does.

Evelo is an American company established in 2012 that designs there own bikes and manufactures them in Taiwan. The others you are looking at are from China (even further away and with looser manufacturing standards). Of all the direct to consumer companies out there they have the best warranty and service record. Their bikes are warehoused and shipped out of Seattle which is also where their warranty center is located. I have been a strictly LBS/ Bosch guy until I bought my Evelo Aurora Ltd. I've been totally impressed by the products, the people and the service. By the way their midrive Dapu powered bike do come with a throttle, if that is something you are looking for. their customer satisfaction guarantee is pretty amazing as well Free 21-day, At-Home Trial for all new bike purchases. The clock doesn’t start until your bike is delivered, so have confidence in your purchase. If your EVELO is not the right fit for whatever reason, we’ll pay for return shipping and send you a replacement bike -or- issue a full refund. No restocking fees, return shipping, or charges of any kind.
In the USA step through bike have been sold as "womens bikes" In Europe they are sold to anyone who needs easy mount and dismount due to age or infirmity, lack of flexiblity...regardless of sex.
I get all the exuberance offered by a happy new customer, but I would be willing to bet RAD bikes will give Evelo, or anyone else in the bike business a good run for their money when it comes to "best" warranty/service. There's a good reason they sell the number of bikes they do.....

And just so you don't think I'm down on Evelo for ANY reason, I'm waiting for their new Atlas to start showing up. Can't stop looking at it, afraid I'm going to need one of those, but I'm not paying the entire purchase price just to sit and have the delivery date postponed monthly indefinitely. I don't even know if they've been built yet.

Apparently AllState insurance treats all ebikes as motorcycles so that is something to consider even if your bike looks like a bike as my Priority Current does.
Good reason to shop elsewhere.

I didn't know that much appreciated. I know that in my state they have e bikes with classes so something that falls within Class 1 or Class 2 would not need to be insured but a Class 3 would.

Self insured. If I'm not on my bike, it's locked up secure in my garage.
Yeah, I keep mine in my condo. But I wanted insurance in case I do stop somewhere and need to lock up. Also in case I kill someone or damage their property.

Do you have a need for a 40mph ebike and can do with a lower powered lightweight commuter.
I would recommend priority current. The Belt drive with Shimano hub is 2599$ at Costco next. And arrives within 10 days of ordering and is easy to assemble

The Pros are

1. 28mph top speed. With pedal assist 5 I can easily maintain 25mph at assist 5 and 20+mph at assist 3
2. About 30 miles+ range at level 3 and 15 miles at level 5. 40+ at level 2 assist
3. Very light weight - Can be driven like a normal bike
4. Belt drive is maintenance free. Shimano 5 speed hub is very good (though not as fancy as the Enviolo CVT). And it has lower drivetrain losses as compared to CVTs
5. Integrated automated light

Cons:
1. No throttle
2. 500Wh battery so at assist 5 you get 15 miles of range only
3. No suspension. Seat post with suspension is a must have upgrade
4. Does not have a rack included
5. Basic controller. No fancy stuff like specialized bikes

Me and a couple of others regularly update our threads at the priority current forum. Do check out user comments.

I have liability on my homeowner's insurance which covers things like walking, hiring home help, riding a bicycle, pedestrians on your lawn. Not covered any kind of licensed motor vehicle, power boat, 4 wheeler, farm equipment, or my summer property.
Theft of bicycle, it is not worth filing a claim. $2000 bike with panniers 2 leg stand front basket, $820 electric kit now depreciated by 8 years & 8000 miles. I use a $78 1/2" x 6' SS cable and a $50 1 lb lock to power poles, live conduits & gas meters, to avoid being without wheels for 1 to 6 months while I order a replacement. Shop got to meetings, dine in restaurants off my bike a dozen times a week.

My homeowner insurance excludes anything to do with an electric bike. II will likely cancel my insurance after I have had the bike a while, but it is new and I am not very good at riding it yet. I mean, I fell over while trying to launch at a light.

My renters insurance is covering the theft of my Evelo Aurora Ltd. with all the installed accessories for which I can produce a receipt (Selle Anatomica Saddle, Kinekt seatpost, Hammerhead Karoo cycle computer, etc. all of them on-line purchases with saved receipts). They pay full replacement value with a $500 deductible, no depreciation...fully covered as personal property without any added clauses or extra premium. I verified the coverage with my agent when I bought my first ebike. She told me no need to buy added insurance. Grange Insurance Co.

Back