Enough Said...

Should Pedego Make The Platinum Edition Interceptor In Multiple Colors?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Christopher

poJrsEd9j

Hi @PedegoElectricBikes , I have a few questions and concerns about the Pedego Interceptor Platinum Edition:

1. Is it possible to add fenders to the Platinum Edition? If so, do you recommend any in particular?
  2. What is the make and model of the hydraulic brake system?
  3. Any uncomfortable suspension seat post bounciness when riding over uneven surfaces?
  4. What are the differences between the 2015 Interceptor and the Platinum Edition handlebars?
  5. Equipped with Panasonic or Samsung lithium-ion battery cells?
Specifications on the website could use a tune-up. Thanks for the info and I look forward to hearing from you. :)

Cheers,
Christopher

Technically @Thomas Jaszewski, Electra holds the crank forward design patent (Flat Foot Technology) on their Townie GO! models. Or were you being sarcastic? ;)
Well, Fuji, Sun, KHS, Trek Pure (before owning Electra), and others are nearly identical. Apparently they haven'y the stomach to fight it or there's some loophole. You put my three frames next to each other and there's only millimeters of differences. I wonder how that works...

Last edited:
Well, Fuji, Sun, KHS, Trek Pure (before owning Electra), and others are nearly identical. Apparently they haven'y the stomach to fight it or there's some loophole. You put my three frames next to each other and there's only millimeters of differences.
I would be willing to bet that Electra would have the stomach to fight for its Flat Foot Technology proprietary rights if Pedego tried to offer a crank forward design. ;)

The bike shown has the crank forward almost as much. Just a slightly different frame design and seat post position. It sure looks crank forward to me!

Electra Files Patent Infringement Suit
Published January 25, 2011
VISTA, CA (BRAIN)—When Electra received a patent for its Flat Foot technology last summer, it put the industry on notice it would protect this patent. In December it filed a patent infringement suit against Trek over its Pure and Cruiser bikes.

“Our supply of bikes will not be impacted and our dealers can continue to sell bikes with confidence,” said Bob Burns, Trek’s general counsel. Burns would not comment further.

While Electra filed the suit in Northern California district court, it has not served Trek with the suit. Discussions between the two companies are ongoing as they try to resolve the dispute out of court.

Electra claims Trek’s Pure, Pure Lowstep, Pure Sport, Pure Sport Lowstep, Pure DLX, Pure DLX Lowstep, Cruiser Classic, Classic Deluxe, Calypso and Cruiseliner bikes infringe on co-founder Benno Baenziger’s Flat Foot technology, patent #7,740,262. It is seeking compensation for damage to its business caused by Trek’s infringing models.

The Flat Foot patent covers a range of geometry, seat tube and head tube angles intended to create a forward pedaling ride position. Electra introduced the design in its Townie line of bikes in 2003 and later added it to its Cruiser and Amsterdam lines.

—Matt Wiebe

The bike shown has the crank forward almost as much. Just a slightly different frame design and seat post position. It sure looks crank forward to me!
Hmm, I'm surprised you think the Pedego Platinum Edition has a crank forward design? Actually, I see a major crank forward design difference on all of your example ebike photos, except for the Interceptor. Maybe its just me? :)

Crank forward design to me would not have any portion of the crank aligned with the saddle.

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 4.10.31 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 3.53.16 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 4.11.27 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 4.10.31 PM.png
Drop a vertical line from the center of the seat post. The townie is more forward, but the Pedego is definitely more forward than a typical cruiser. Making it an attractive build to me. Sorry having a silly time with the photo editor. But the patent must have loopholes. Given the extreme forward position of the Pure, failed lawsuit, and the KHS Smoothie.

That said I think the Pure and the Townie were the best builds of all. Best gear and quality. The Pedego sure looks nice!

Last edited:
If I weren't looking to folding bikes next, I'd consider the Pedego. There's a decent dealer fairly close. Once the other I have are built and upgraded they're nearly $3000 bike. Building can be expensive if using comparable gear.

If like me, you are interested in an "upright, relaxed riding position with proper leg extension that also lets you plant your feet flat on the ground whenever you want without leaving the saddle" crank forward design, then try looking straight up from the crank, not straight down from the seat post. Then, you'll see the difference as to why the Interceptor does not actually have a crank forward design. :)

I like my Trek Pure the best of any bike I've electrified. It's as heads up and flat foot as the Townie. The KHS WAS a good bike until they lowered the price and dumbed down the quality of the gear. I still see the Pedego as more crank forward, but you're right.

Great discussion! Thanks!

I'd like ONE more flat foot frame. An early Townie. My buddy has one and the frame build quality is fantastic, but no discs.

My first two, 2014 KHS Smoothies. Almost as nice as the Townie. They did two sizes.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 4.37.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 4.37.49 PM.png
    918.9 KB · Views: 723
As an ebike consumer and enthusiast, its unfortunate Electra has a strangle hold on cruiser style ebikes being able to be built without a true upright, relaxed riding position crank forward design for proper leg extension allowing to plant our feet flat on the ground whenever we want without leaving the saddle.

Crank forward design should be an industry standard on all cruiser ebikes, but as you stated earlier, Trek was trying to bring its customers more comfort and control and were caught infringing on Electra's patent. Sad.

Back