eMTB Options For 2024

Glad to hear you are enjoying the SpeedClip.

I always felt like I had just broken the speed barrier with a sonic boom at the limit... I think I feel the need for speed!

Oh yeah, Thanks much. You guys are the best here. Such a wealth of info, and you all keep it real and FUN. So happy to be part of this forum with great riders on the same mission. Makes it all worth our while IMO. Delimiting any E-bike has to be my #1 upgrade. Turns the bike into a real monster and that warm and fuzzy feeling never goes away; just gets more intense! Cheers and Peace! o_O 🤣

In case you achieve the success, let me know Chris!
lately, the Australian Post delivery time have been shocking.
For this reason, from yesterday, [...] we don’t make use of the Australian Post anymore.
Furthermore, I regard all state-owned postal systems must by dissolved.
/Cato The Censor/

I dunno, I can do the sensor move mod and put a magnet on the crank. For the cost of a magnet. [shrug]

I thought I'd do the same thing, and I think it was you?? that posted a photo awhile back of it set up that way. It convinced me to buy the Badass Box 😁 . I get it, it does the same thing it just looks like shyte. I just can't picture riding around on my emtb bike with it mounted that way, could you?

Sounds like if you order it today we'll get them around the same time:rolleyes:

I got a prompt reply...showing promise.
They have BAB for Giant in stock, $150.

"I have the Giant BAB in stock and yes you are right! lately, the Australian Post delivery time have been shocking.
For this reason, from yesterday, we post our parcels with Sendle and therefore we don’t make use of the Australian Post anymore.
It should be way quicker than the Australian Post but please be aware than the Covid situation is affecting delivery times across the board.

I dunno, I can do the sensor move mod and put a magnet on the crank. For the cost of a magnet. [shrug]
Yeah, perhaps you could try that and see how it feels, then take it from there. I prefer the box for the cleaner look and click on/off is my preference instead of opening up the motor case for installation with the others. Good Luck with your decision Chris.

Benefit of the badass is it can fall off quickly if the bike ever goes near the lbs. nb this is not a guarantee that your warranty will survive - when things go wrong, giant look at your bikes data and WILL try to accuse you of using a cheating device

nb - if the cadence exactly matches wheel revs, it's a lot easier for giant to make that argument - so magnet of crank is guaranteed to void warranty

Benefit of the badass is it can fall off quickly if the bike ever goes near the lbs. nb this is not a guarantee that your warranty will survive - when things go wrong, giant look at your bikes data and WILL try to accuse you of using a cheating device

nb - if the cadence exactly matches wheel revs, it's a lot easier for giant to make that argument - so magnet of crank is guaranteed to void warranty

Nonsense... more FUD. Do you have any specific documented examples using the BAB?

Nonsense... more FUD. Do you have any specific documented examples with the BAB?

At the time of purchase my LBS cautioned against using a delimiter and expecting warranty repairs. (I have no plan to, BTW.) The staff member said it's pretty clear from the data they pull when a limiter has been used. FWIW.

Nonsense... more FUD. Do you have any specific documented examples using the BAB?

When my giant developed a motor issue the lbs downloaded my data and based on 2000 km with an average speed of 7 km/ hr giant Australia decided I had been using the badass and my warranty was void. I listened in on the conversation when my lbs then negotiated my case and he did a really good job- father of 3 young kids with unusually high levels of riding motor turned off / assist level in eco turned down to just 50% , a discusssion about me as a reliable and honest customer etc. It was a long conversation before giant agreed to continue the warranty

I felt sorry for the lbs ( and giant) the natural assumption based on my data fitted eith a badass cheating device, and to this day I'm convinced my speed sensor was faulty because my average speed has almost doubled on the new motor.

So, feel free to cry " nonsense" , but good luck sourcing a new motor

Glad to hear you were covered under warranty. I have never had a warranty repair needed on 4 different EBikes since 2016... YMMV.

Glad to hear you were covered under warranty. I have never had a warranty repair needed on 4 different EBikes since 2016... YMMV.

Now I'm feeling guilty... or perhaps really lucky to be able to have access to amazing countryside as often as I do.

Snapped the chainwheel at 35 km - upgraded / replaced , excellent service

Water ingress to evo screen after driving over the alps in torrential rain - I had expected to pay but it was replaced no questions asked.

The motor was probably a torque sensor issue, 2 years and probably 5000 km of hard mtb use. Upgraded to a 2020 motor, all electrics replaced at the same time. I was extremely lucky this was covered, the issue was an intermittent fault and the lbs owner had tested the bike extensively without being able to detect my concern ( including setting a new kom at the local mtb park on my bike....) . The computer was picking ip a sensor error and so was my wimpy knee, but it was subtle.

I had always planned to stay legal until out of warranty, now my warranty has expired I have been wondering about the badass , but to be honest I don't have the self control....

I got a prompt reply...showing promise.
They have BAB for Giant in stock, $150.

"I have the Giant BAB in stock and yes you are right! lately, the Australian Post delivery time have been shocking.
For this reason, from yesterday, we post our parcels with Sendle and therefore we don’t make use of the Australian Post anymore.
It should be way quicker than the Australian Post but please be aware than the Covid situation is affecting delivery times across the board.

I keep going back and forth on whether to buy the delimiter and whether the roughly $200 is worth it. I did buy some magnets from Amazon that arrived yesterday. I will try the sensor move mod in a week or two to see how I like it.

I'm sure that subject was flogged to death but can you remind me what type of MTB rear mudguard is proper for 2.6" tyres and the dropper post? Where do you mount the fender, exactly?

My concern is not water but chips of rock.

At the time of purchase my LBS cautioned against using a delimiter and expecting warranty repairs. (I have no plan to, BTW.) The staff member said it's pretty clear from the data they pull when a limiter has been used. FWIW.

^^This. The data stored reveals miles, average speed, a bunch of ride data. A speed-hack messes up the values in this data, so it becomes obvious the system was modified.

OTOH, it is also true that warranty claims for Yamaha are the lowest in the biz. They are the most durable, reliable, and long lasting, reported by those in the biz of fixing them. Bosch has a warranty 'depot' for claims, and some months back just accepted their 100,000th claim. Sure they've made a lot of assist motors, but they fix a lot of them too.

Figure your ability to make a warranty claim for a failed drive that has been speed-hacked is NILL. You pays your monies, you take your chances. 😋

I'm sure that subject was flogged to death but can you remind me what type of MTB rear mudguard is proper for 2.6" tyres and the dropper post? Where do you mount the fender, exactly?

My concern is not water but chips of rock.

Look for a product from 'Mucky-Nutz'. Their claim to fame is for a front guard, but they have a rear option as well.

To my big surprise @Browneye, the RideControl EVO is a wired display... I thought it was a wireless device. My Monster's at the LBS, to be picked up tomorrow.

To my big surprise @Browneye, the RideControl EVO is a wired display... I thought it was a wireless device. My Monster's at the LBS, to be picked up tomorrow.

Yep. Like a dashboard. All of those types of displays are wired to the bike's controller.
Stand alone units like Garmin offers is another option, but they're not connected to the bike - they use GPS technology.
If I was going to spend the money for something it would the Garmin unit. Something that could be used for navigation in the outback. And it works where there's no cell signal - there just has to be a mapping overlay. We've been navigating adventure bikes with GPS for years. Before that we were ALWAYS lost. Well, I get lost with the GPS too - I would get lost in my backyard without a map. 🤣

I just bought a couple of these last week, in refurbished form, to try on the bikes:

41Pt6rsBqsL._AC_.jpg

Price has gone up by $10 at GPScity, but when I bought them they were $100, which seemed like an acceptable savings (for refurbished) over the normal ~$140 price (new).

https://www.gpscity.com/garmin-etrex-30x-newly-overhauled

Amazon has the Garmin handlebar mount for these for all of $11.00

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012MI7QE/

These seemed like a reasonable unit for e-biking, at a reasonable price, at a reasonable weight penalty (~1/2#). Some of the computers on my bikes give only the barest of metrics (like trip distance only), and others give the full metrics, but only in whole MPH (so if it shows the average speed at 19, was that 19.0 or 19.9 mph?). These Garmins will also give map data for trail riding, and total ascent info. The form factor may be a tad large for a bicycle, but not outlandishly so.

I should receive them today and can't wait to try them out.

Hey guys! Turbo Levos, Kenevos and Creos can use a wireless TCD display. US$75. It's doable. So my surprise was big: Giant unable to make an equivalent product to be used on their e-MTB?

I thought I'd do the same thing, and I think it was you?? that posted a photo awhile back of it set up that way. It convinced me to buy the Badass Box 😁 . I get it, it does the same thing it just looks like shyte. I just can't picture riding around on my emtb bike with it mounted that way, could you?

Sounds like if you order it today we'll get them around the same time:rolleyes:
"same thing it just looks like shyte"- You really think so? I have mine mounted and you hardly notice that it is there. Blends in with the rest of the components quite well without protruding outside the chainstay IMO. To each his own. ;)

Back