eMTB Options For 2024

Seems like the little Garmin will work for me in the way I wanted. Doesn't actually take up too much real estate on the bars. Will check it out on a ride this afternoon. Sorry about the busy background in the photo - quick shot.

i-wL25Gbg-XL.jpg

Hey guys! Turbo Levos, Kenevos and Creos can use a wireless TCD display. US$75. It's doable. So my surprise was big: Giant unable to make an equivalent product to be used on their e-MTB?

Spend a bit of time with the evo before worrying about it having wires.
No need to worry about power supply, you can run the screen as bright as you like and always on.
You do need to keep a bit if dielectric grease up to the connectors, but assuming you have the modern version with sealed rear joints it's water proof and ( touch wood) rugged.

Whilst a gps would be nice, the evo has all the info I need for riding - % battery left, power setting clearly fisplayed, speed , a graph representing how much torque I'm asking for and a choice for other read outs like cadence or distance.

IMHO it's a good compromise, and trying to squeeze in a gps would waste real estate. But I'm the sort of person who only uses a gps to confirm how lost I am - that's the adventure. Random track allocation followed by desperate negotiation as the sun sets.....

Whilst a gps would be nice, the evo has all the info I need for riding - % battery left, power setting clearly fisplayed, speed , a graph representing how much torque I'm asking for and a choice for other read outs like cadence or distance.
I don't mind the EVO is wired. I just got worried because...

If the EVO were wireless, I'd just hop onto my Trance and drove to the LBS to pay for and collect the display. Here, I had to drive the bike to the LBS and leave it by the next day. Also, the hefty price of the EVO may result from the fact the LBS has probably to disassemble half of the bike to route the wires internally (had the same with my Vado and the TCD-Wired display upgrade). I may guess part of the price is reimbursed by the LBS for the man-hours.

I actually don't mind the EVO is a wired display. You've just named the benefits yourself!

@PDoz, can you display the rider's wattage on the EVO?

I don't mind the EVO is wired. I just got worried because...

If the EVO were wireless, I'd just hop onto my Trance and drove to the LBS to pay for and collect the display. Here, I had to drive the bike to the LBS and leave it by the next day. Also, the hefty price of the EVO may result from the fact the LBS has probably to disassemble half of the bike to route the wires internally (had the same with my Vado and the TCD-Wired display upgrade). I may guess part of the price is reimbursed by the LBS for the man-hours.

I actually don't mind the EVO is a wired display. You've just named the benefits yourself!

@PDoz, can you display the rider's wattage on the EVO?

evo has 2 wires, one connects to bar switch out in the open, the other connects to a plug just inside the frame ( where the bar switch connects to the bike ) , I think it runs in line from the bar switch . Getting that plug out from the feame can be anything from 30 secs to 30 minutes +/- large amounts of alcohol, after about 30 minutes there is an irresistible temptation to use blunt objects....or even power tools....surgical instruments and an endoscope were effective but far less enjoyable. So take your lbs a thank you present.

Come to think if it....when it says the lights are dim and flashes " eco" at me....is it a hint I should see a cardiologist for an echo, or just a geriatrician because thrre is an eco between my ears?

who needs magic smoke to tell us the obvious?
I do :D
I had no slightest idea how much weak my poor legs have been. Someone had calculated my average wattage from the calories burnt, ride time (both parameters from the old Vado display) and the average body efficiency of 25%. The figure was 84 W. I was unhappy but had to accept the facts.

Now, the new TCD-W display tells me I produce 80 W only if I hardly pedal. My typical wattage is 100-150 on a decent cadence and I can achieve peak of 233 W (I have noticed my heart rate increases very much if I do so).

Every mid-drive motor e-bike has this information, only it is not reported by most e-bikes. Note: You are certainly aware how much a pair of power meter road-cycling pedals costs. All of us actually have got the power meter as a torque sensor in our bikes. Why not to use this parameter if the rider is interested?

@PDoz, you are a hardcore MTBer, and I am a fanboy 🤣 Hard to notice and accept that? I'm so glad we're in the digital era now!

I do :D
I had no slightest idea how much weak my poor legs have been. Someone had calculated my average wattage from the calories burnt, ride time (both parameters from the old Vado display) and the average body efficiency of 25%. The figure was 84 W. I was unhappy but had to accept the facts.

Now, the new TCD-W display tells me I produce 80 W only if I hardly pedal. My typical wattage is 100-150 on a decent cadence and I can achieve peak of 233 W (I have noticed my heart rate increases very much if I do so).

Every mid-drive motor e-bike has this information, only it is not reported by most e-bikes. Note: You are certainly aware how much a pair of power meter road-cycling pedals costs. All of us actually have got the power meter as a torque sensor in our bikes. Why not to use this parameter if the rider is interested?

@PDoz, you are a hardcore MTBer, and I am a fanboy 🤣 Hard to notice and accept that? I'm so glad we're in the digital era now!

ahhh....it shows you that in simple mtb rider form.....there is a bar graph across the bottom of screen that shows how hard you are pedalling

ps definitely not hard core - think fat old man trying yo keep up with his 15 yo daughter

ahhh....it shows you that in simple mtb rider form.....there is a bar graph across the bottom of screen that shows how hard you are pedalling
Since we are just chatting, I -- as an engineer -- always preferred quantitative to qualitative data ;)

The Giant app captures wattage, but from what I can tell it mixes it in with motor assist. So a value of 300W may be 50W of leg power and 250W of motor assist. Correct me if I'm wrong with this interpretation.

Perhaps to get the true watt value of your legs alone record a ride via the app and ride a section with the motor turned off?

And I thought engineers were visual learners with an eye for proportions...
Design a bridge based on proportions only...

The Giant app captures wattage, but from what I can tell it mixes it in with motor assist. So a value of 300W may be 50W of leg power and 250W of motor assist. Correct me if I'm wrong with this interpretation.

Perhaps to get the true watt value of your legs alone record a ride via the app and ride a section with the motor turned off?
I will see when I get my Trance with the EVO back. The Specialized TCD-W display shows the rider's power in one of its five screens...

evo has 2 wires, one connects to bar switch out in the open, the other connects to a plug just inside the frame ( where the bar switch connects to the bike ) , I think it runs in line from the bar switch . Getting that plug out from the feame can be anything from 30 secs to 30 minutes +/- large amounts of alcohol, after about 30 minutes there is an irresistible temptation to use blunt objects....or even power tools....surgical instruments and an endoscope were effective but far less enjoyable. So take your lbs a thank you present.
I delivered the bike to the LBS about 2 p.m. yesterday. On 3 p.m. today, the bike was dismantled. The LBS were not sure if they can finish the work today.

Thank you, big brands for your marvellous designs. Probably done by proportion but without brains.

What could possibly go wrong? They even write scientific stuff about it....https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2095809918302182

But back in the world of bikes..Pretty bridges 101

Well done... this pretty much sums it up... ;)

1590163804810.png

1590163929096.png

Well done... this pretty much sums it up... ;)
...and no calculations whatsoever, I presume.

Friends,
I've got my Monster back, with the RideControl EVO installed. Now I feel at home! There is another remote, more functional, at least for me. The new display shows all the information I need except the Rider Power (can live with that). What is very nice is the Estimated Range, that will certainly help. The best thing is the system still works with the RideControl App.

One might say it's a step backwards but I can keep my smartphone in the pocket during my rides now!

You would have to know what you're looking at to know a sensor was mounted outside or in on the chainstay. A couple of zipties and a magnet on the end of the pedal axle completes the hack. It is very slick.

My new road tires came for the extra set of wheels - I'm going for an axle swap to convert the bike from 'mountain' to 'road' in seconds. A duplicate of wheel and tire, cassette, sensor magnet. So far I really like how it works. I'm waiting on a a 11-42 cassette and an extra speed magnet. I really like how these tires look - I think they're a knock off from the Schwalbe moto-x tire - these are a little different, but they're really heavy duty. i was surprised with the width, they're a big tire for the eMTB. Mounted up super easy.

Back