eMTB Options For 2024

Yeah, I might leave it setup for awhile, try it with the road tires. It really runs the motor up too, so it is a bit worrisome, a potential for stress and heat.
I think the hack works much better on the Explore cuz it has a larger front chain ring, so you can get nearly all the way to 30mph with it. Maybe I'll hack that one instead. ;)
The magnet holder thingy is cool though, otherwise owners have expoxied a magnet to their crank. That gray 3M mounting tape is plenty strong - you would have to cut it off with a blade.

Rossignol has actually had their e-bike out since at least the 2018/2019 season. I looked at it briefly when The House (cheap prices, but not a recommended seller of e-bikes, unless you can wait 2 months for your purchase to arrive) had them on close-out pricing:

https://www.the-house.com/qroet27pe04mr19zz-rossignol-bikes.html

Never could find too much in the way of reviews on them, other than initial rides by media during its launch. And even at close-out, they sure weren't giving them away.

That was the hardtail - the review was on their full suspension 'E Track Trail'. MSRP at Rossignol.com is $4799, 10% off and free shipping, but sold out.

rmi5022_e_track_trail_rgb72dpi_01.jpg

But I dunno, for the same money you can get a YT Decoy, which appears to be a lot more bike, and a 29'r:

s1600_photo_858778.jpg

Ah, I didn't look at them closely enough.

That Decoy sure does seem like a LOT of bang for the buck!

Unfortunately for the first time this year I'm actually not searching for "the next e-bike". The stable seems full at the moment, with some bikes not even getting the amount of riding they deserve!

(Someone check my temperature - I might have the COVID fever) :)

Rossignol has actually had their e-bike out since at least the 2018/2019 season. I looked at it briefly when The House (cheap prices, but not a recommended seller of e-bikes, unless you can wait 2 months for your purchase to arrive) had them on close-out pricing:

https://www.the-house.com/qroet27pe04mr19zz-rossignol-bikes.html

Never could find too much in the way of reviews on them, other than initial rides by media during its launch. And even at close-out, they sure weren't giving them away.

Thanks for posting the link... they currently have a 60% off deal on a Fuji hardtail for $2,399... 3 left in the large 21" frame size. ;)

Fuji Ambient 1.3 27.5+ E-Bike
fuji-ambient-1-3-27-5-e-bike-charcoal-citrus-18-zoom.jpg

Last edited:
Update on the speed hack...

Yesterday was my 63rd birthday. Yeah, getting old completely sucks. But I took the day off, and rode my mountain bike through a beautiful state park on our coast. Way fun. Since I was down in the area I thought I would stop at the local ebike shop and get a spoke magnet for the speed sensor, for my new wheel set. I should have another cassette and lockring tool arriving any day now. So a quick axle swap I can install road wheels and tires.

BTW, I also tested the Catyeye speedo magnet on the Giant/Yamaha sensor and it works fine. So for anyone that wants to carry one for a spare it would likely work in a pinch. I thought I read elsewhere that the magnet was not strong enough and would throw your controller into error and shut down. Seemed to work fine.

Anyway, the magnet for the hub that works with the 2020 version of the speed sensor, is bolted onto the disc mounting. Since I was taking it off anyway, I got to thinking it would mount easily to the crank arm with some industrial foam mounting tape, so I thought I would try the sensor-relo speed hack. And I already had the security torx tool to remove the mounting screw for the speed sensor. Even better, there's a tab under the chainstay making it super easy to zip-tie the sensor in a perfect position for a magnet on the end of the crank. Within just a few minutes it was ready for testing.

For a summation, I would say don't bother. Yes, it keeps pulling as fast as you can pedal. I got up to about 24mph, pedaling as fast as I could. Wow, it buzzes! I just can't see any kind of consistent riding any any speed over about 20 or 21mph. So I suppose if you REALLY needed another mile an hour or two, it might be worth it. Otherwise, I was nonplussed. I'm going to put it back to stock and forget it.

Now if you could get a larger chain ring then it might make a lot more sense.

So here's what the hack looks like, and what to expect if you make the mod:

The hub magnet holder for the new version speed sensor makes for a really easy to attach magnet for the crank arm:

And while I'm at it, a couple of pics of the new trails I got to explore for my birthday. 😇

One of the single-track trails was SUPER steep and rocky. Not wanting to endo on my head, I walked it down the steepest parts. Sure was fun riding the trails though.
The clouds in the distance is the 'marine layer' of fog over the Pacific Ocean, near Newport Beach on the southern California coast.

Happy B-Day Chris. Many more and may you prosper!

Thanks for posting the link... they currently have a 60% off deal on a Fuji hardtail for $2,399... 3 left in the large 21" frame size. ;)

Fuji Ambient 1.3 27.5+ E-Bike
fuji-ambient-1-3-27-5-e-bike-charcoal-citrus-18-zoom.jpg
NOTE: When I ordered mine from them (4/19/2020) the sale price for the XL (only model shown available at that time) was $1,966, plus they had a 10% off coupon available. They do charge sales tax and shipping, but was still a good deal.

The bike was finally delivered delivered to me just about 1 month later, after having to go through all sorts of foo-fa with them ('you must call us to that we can speak directly with the credit card holder', then they don't answer the customer service phones, etc.) The day after I ordered my sale bike I saw the price jump to $2,399.

Bike and deal was fine in the end, but I'll never deal with The House on any purchase again.

This bike BEGS for a delimiting chip (and it is the only way I will be able to keep up with my wife when we ride fatties, with her on her FLX Gladiator).

Last edited:
Did you see where the reviewer said the bike shared it's frame with Felt? I think that was it - thought they should have ergos well sorted. I guess the reviewer is in Norway, and thought the Rossignol ebike was the best entry-level on the market. A lot of bang for the buck.

When I stopped in our local ebike shop I hadn't seen before, they were selling CUBE Stereo. Awesome looking eMTB, but EIGHT GRAND!!
They had this one on the showroom floor. They also had a 29'r hardtail for under $2500 that looked like an excellent deal for someone in that market.

The Stereo had Bosch cx, kashima fox 36 forks and dropper, 27.5, 500w integrated pack, shimano xt gears. Very sharp looking bike. Sales guy said they're made in Germany. Really?

337252_light.jpg

My little super-motard conversion project has worked out at least as well as i expected. The bike is very easy to ride on the road, with suspension locked down it rides VERY similar to my Explore. I'm really happy with the components and how it all went together. I wasn't for sure positive the splines were the same for the 2020 model cuz they come with a 12spd, but that's sram, the shimano cassette that fits them is an 11spd.
There's choice of 11-40, 42, or 46. Since I'll never use the lowest gears anyway, I got the cheapest one, the 42 for $70. I'm all in this for about $300. Got the removal tool, and serviced both hub clickers since I could get everything disassembled. I like the hub design and how it all goes together.

The wheelset came with rotors, and the take-off tires came with tubes. Got a spare magnet for the speed sensor, and one for the bike computer on the front, so a simple axle swap transforms it from MTB to a crossroads type bike for pavement. In level1 assist it's easy to ride at any speed up to the limiter.

If someone can point me at a larger chain ring I would jump on that and put the speed hack back in. I've since reverted back to stock.

Did a couple of miles to try it out tonight and it rides beautifully on the road. I may end up selling the Explore and get a pedal MTB - seems our US Forest Service lands still ban ebikes.

These bontrager tires are really beefy - at 40psi they ride like a couch. ;)
I nearly got the Schwalbe moto-x's, but found these for a little less, they look nearly the same. This 2.4 size is plenty big compared to the 2.6 and 2.8 maxxis knobbies. These are ebike rated to 50km as well, high puncture resistance. They are a lot beefier than the Big Apple tires on the Explore. The Trance is just much more heavy duty all around compared to the Explore - Giant does a nice job designing them to go offroad. It's no wonder they cost twice as much!

The cassette is a 11-42, stock is 11-46. No deraillear adjustments needed!

It's so much like the Explore now it's uncanny.

Last edited:
My little super-motard conversion project has worked out at least as well as i expected. The bike is very easy to ride on the road, with suspension locked down it rides VERY similar to my Explore. I'm really happy with the components and how it all went together. I wasn't for sure positive the splines were the same for the 2020 model cuz they come with a 12spd, but that's sram, the shimano cassette that fits them is an 11spd.
There's choice of 11-40, 42, or 46. Since I'll never use the lowest gears anyway, I got the cheapest one, the 42 for $70. I'm all in this for about $300. Got the removal tool, and serviced both hub clickers since I could get everything disassembled. I like the hub design and how it all goes together.

The wheelset came with rotors, and the take-off tires came with tubes. Got a spare magnet for the speed sensor, and one for the bike computer on the front, so a simple axle swap transforms it from MTB to a crossroads type bike for pavement. In level1 assist it's easy to ride at any speed up to the limiter.

If someone can point me at a larger chain ring I would jump on that and put the speed hack back in. I've since reverted back to stock.

Did a couple of miles to try it out tonight and it rides beautifully on the road. I may end up selling the Explore and get a pedal MTB - seems our US Forest Service lands still ban ebikes.

These bontrager tires are really beefy - at 40psi they ride like a couch. ;)
I nearly got the Schwalbe moto-x's, but found these for a little less, they look nearly the same. This 2.4 size is plenty big compared to the 2.6 and 2.8 maxxis knobbies. These are ebike rated to 50km as well, high puncture resistance. They are a lot beefier than the Big Apple tires on the Explore. The Trance is just much more heavy duty all around compared to the Explore - Giant does a nice job designing them to go offroad. It's no wonder they cost twice as much!

The cassette is a 11-42, stock is 11-46. No deraillear adjustments needed!

It's so much like the Explore now it's uncanny.

Well done! Nice that you are able to swap wheelsets in a flash without any adjustments.
I have done this for my road bikes and now I am inspired to tackle my EMTBs this season.

Okay, did 15 miles both weekends, one with mountain bike tires and one with the road tire setup. The bike excells in both modes.
The big tires are, well, big, and it adds some bulk on the road, plus all that suspension and big wheels are for not, so it's like way overkill. Yes, it can do it, but the Explore is happier doing it. I'm happy to have both options. They are best left for specific duty. ;) I'm ready to put the knobbies back on and go for a real trail ride.

Oh, and wifes bike, the Explore sister Amiti, used the same amount of pack on our ride, both at a little over 60% remaining. That looks to be about 40miles/65km for range each. I'm happy with that. About half the trek was a dirt surface, smooth walking and biking public trail. Road tires are fine on smooth dirt. Average speed was about 13mph.

Rode to Bootlegger's Brewery for a couple, and then home. Way nice way to enjoy the sunny day. Lots of people out, there is no more lockdown. Half the tables at the brewery, and masks to get in and out, but otherwise a nice toast for two. 🍻

I've been shopping for a pedal 29-r. I'm just sure I'm going to be outlawed in the Sierras. Planning a trip to the mountains. Or two.
There are none to be had. :(

22 psi? My highly scientific approach is to ride the bike, pump the tyres up if they feel squishy or let them down if I'm bleeding.

You guys really like numbers

BTW, I put mine up to like 25 and 26 and it rides even better. Still playing around a little bit with fine tuning. Everything makes a difference. 👍
I have suspension dialed in now where it finds bottom at some point on the ride, but perfect for everything else. Very comfy, good control. The Fox boingers are really good.

Okay, did 15 miles both weekends, one with mountain bike tires and one with the road tire setup. The bike excells in both modes.
The big tires are, well, big, and it adds some bulk on the road, plus all that suspension and big wheels are for not, so it's like way overkill. Yes, it can do it, but the Explore is happier doing it. I'm happy to have both options. They are best left for specific duty. ;) I'm ready to put the knobbies back on and go for a real trail ride.

Oh, and wifes bike, the Explore sister Amiti, used the same amount of pack on our ride, both at a little over 60% remaining. That looks to be about 40miles/65km for range each. I'm happy with that. About half the trek was a dirt surface, smooth walking and biking public trail. Road tires are fine on smooth dirt. Average speed was about 13mph.

Rode to Bootlegger's Brewery for a couple, and then home. Way nice way to enjoy the sunny day. Lots of people out, there is no more lockdown. Half the tables at the brewery, and masks to get in and out, but otherwise a nice toast for two. 🍻

I've been shopping for a pedal 29-r. I'm just sure I'm going to be outlawed in the Sierras. Planning a trip to the mountains. Or two.
There are none to be had. :(

https://sierratrails.org/riding-downieville-on-ebikes/ Check this out. The trails here are all multi-use.

Merida 160 review from Rob Hancill.
I assume that means it has 160mm of front suspension. ;)
Not sure if you can get these in the states or not, they are a pretty large corporation and evidently the parent company of Specialized, buying a 49% share in the company some years ago.
I also just found out Giant is so huge they make many other bike brands, at least the frames, even for TREK and SCOTT. o_O

Merida 160 page: https://www.merida-bikes.com/en-au/...s/the-new-eone-sixty-limited-edition-369.html

INTENDED USE

Trail and enduro riding! Geometry, travel and specification make this bike perfect for demanding trail riding. It doesn't matter if it's a playful, easy trail or a hardcore enduro track. The new eONE-SIXTY LIMITED EDITION loves them all.

But besides its enduro and trail riding abilities, the eONE-SIXTY is also a hugely capable and enjoyable 'SUV' bike. Because of the travel, the comfortable and upright riding position, the eONE-SIXTY gives a lot of confidence and offers a real alternative to a 'normal' mountain bike. If a 2nd battery or charging device is carried, it can also be used for all-day riding or multi-day excursions.

20-product-news-eone-sixty-limited-my2020-angle-product-image.jpg

Back