eMTB Options For 2024

upright riding position
Say it again? 🤣

That's how deep the suspension of my Trance worked on my yesterday's off-road ride. The front shock is set up OK. I've just added 10 psi to the rear damper.
1591972343508.png

I have mine setup so it uses all of the travel in a day's ride. I run lower than recommended pressures in both ends - I don't jump my bike. 😇

I have mine setup so it uses all of the travel in a day's ride. I run lower than recommended pressures in both ends - I don't jump my bike. 😇
That's not kosher :D Your daily ride should use half of the travel unless you rode really hard terrain. Otherwise you'll miss the travel when you need it the most.

I ALWAYS need it the most. ;)
The more I ride, the more hard charging. My last loop was with my newfound dirtbiker buddy, showed me a bunch of new downhill single-track. Whoa!!! Just awesome. 👍

If it's really dusty and dirty, mud caked, I'll give it a spritz with the hose nozzle in a fan spray, not a direct stream. Then ride it around the block to blow off excess water, then wipe it all down. 303 tires, plastic, and rubber parts, clean the chain with WD40 and lube with Triflow, wipe off excess. If it got particularly wet I'll remove the battery pack, wipe down contact surfaces - there's arubber seal around the opening - treat with 303, blow out contacts, dialectric grease periodically.

Over 200 hard offroad miles:

Today, I washed my Trance with warm water/detergent using a soft brush then washed the bike with the garden hose, finally wiped the bike with soft cloth. It was heavily covered with mud before.

I just bought an e-bike so most probably I won't be buying an e-bike for several months. Currently I bough a commuter e-bike from Ariel Rider and my next e-bike is Cannondale or Cube. I want to buy a mtb. Which one seems to have better CS? And my budget is around 3K so at this price, can you advise me a better ebike too ?

I think "Customer Service": difference between Cannondale or Cube as a company. Anyone have issues which needed resolving and how well things were dealt with.

A good e-MTB has to have the full suspension and other components that define the MTB. That does not come cheap.

Dual suspension is nice but not essential. I spent today doing gravity runs with a young group including a 25 yo on a hardtail. She tackled everything we did AND more , although she had a different interpretation of gravity riding ( LOTS of gravity attacks).

I suspect something like a norco fluid vlt would be a bundle of fun if I was 25 yo younger and had functional knees.....

For a summation, I would say don't bother. Yes, it keeps pulling as fast as you can pedal. I got up to about 24mph, pedaling as fast as I could. Wow, it buzzes! I just can't see any kind of consistent riding at any speed over about 20 or 21mph. So I suppose if you REALLY needed another mile an hour or two, it might be worth it. Otherwise, I was nonplussed. I'm going to put it back to stock and forget it.

Now if you could get a larger chain ring then it might make a lot more sense.

Finally got my BadAss a week ago and generally agree with you. Pedaling like a mad man I could get it to 26 mph. I'll admit that the simple fact that I no longer hit a 'wall' so to speak at 19 mph on my BH bike is great and will keep it attached.

Guys! I took the plunge. Ordered the lock-ring bottom bracket extractor for Yamaha and Giant motors from Cyclus Tools as well as the VOLspeed V2 for Giant Syncdrive Sport / Pro tuner. I would have never dared doing that but...

My brother had studied the setup and operating manual for VOLspeed v2 and told me the guys who make the "tuner" should be awarded the Nobel Prize for the documentation quality. He said any smallest step of the setup was described in the smallest detail with a lot of pictures and drawings. He -- as a qualified mechanic sees no problem to do the setup as long as I deliver the part, the tool and the bike to him. I can only hope the electronics will work as intended.

The only thing I need is to be able to ride the " U.S. Class 1" e-bike on road. No more, no less.

Guys! I took the plunge. Ordered the lock-ring bottom bracket extractor for Yamaha and Giant motors from Cyclus Tools as well as the VOLspeed V2 for Giant Syncdrive Sport / Pro tuner. I would have never dared doing that but...

My brother had studied the setup and operating manual for VOLspeed v2 and told me the guys who make the "tuner" should be awarded the Nobel Prize for the documentation quality. He said any smallest step of the setup was described in the smallest detail with a lot of pictures and drawings. He -- as a qualified mechanic sees no problem to do the setup as long as I deliver the part, the tool and the bike to him. I can only hope the electronics will work as intended.

The only thing I need is to be able to ride the " U.S. Class 1" e-bike on road. No more, no less.

Congratulations and welcome to the world of unlocked speed... once you go down the rabbit hole there is no going back. ;)

Last edited:

I'm almost tempted to get one just for the " dynamic" feature - keeping the legal limit but softening the transition. I actually appreciate the speed limit because it gives feedback that I'm punting a bit too hard, but there are times when having the power cut out is dangerous ( approaching gap jumps, for example.....)

Back