eMTB Options For 2024

Meanwhile....try riding up here without E

Attachments

• C3C95A05-555A-4CE8-A9A9-6DB21C934BC3.jpeg
    C3C95A05-555A-4CE8-A9A9-6DB21C934BC3.jpeg
    344.2 KB · Views: 303
@PDoz, could you please look at the specs and geometry of this specific e-bike:

Can you make a judgement by just looking at the data? It's not that I want to buy it (too many e-bikes owned already). I'm just curious what I have missed.

Well it is evident I will need to spend some more time actually out there riding, seeing new places, to determine what kind of terrain I'll actually see.
There is only one 'park' that I'm aware of, at Mammoth Lakes, and I don't even know what kind of lift or shuttle system they have, nor if it's just a trail park.
My extensive mountain riding on dirtbikes would definitely be considered 'trail' for riding them on a ebike, but one of the most popular trails as I mentioned previously was the Cannell Meadow trail that you would truck to and then ride 8500' down the mountain. I can ride my ebike on the latter. For the rest, a lot of the trails are motorized access, so a ebike is no problem, and really, at my age, 25 or 30 miles of trailriding in the forest is about all I'm up for before exhaustion, and I simply wouldn't be out there at all without ebike assist.

We are talking about a trip sometime in July, campout and ride bikes for at least a couple of days. I have some ideas of places to see, camp, drive to, etc. The good news is I already have the eMTB, and a nice 4x4 pickup to haul bikes to a trailhead when necessary. And since wife is a non-offroad rider, she'll happily drop us off at a trail and meet us at the end.

I've never liked renting or borrowing sports equipment, always preferring to invest in my own. But three to five grand on a guess is a bit of a stretch, so I do need to gain some more actual riding experience. I'll then know much better what kind of riding I want to pursue further. If a pedal bike opens up more opportunity then it would make sense for an investment in proper equipment for the sport.

Sure is fun to look at bike options though, eh?? And it's all about learning. 👍

Trance is trail, levo is all mountain, reign and kenevo are enduro. I'm not aware of an ebike that is aimed at downhill - what would be the point?

Thanks for sharing the link.

Here are a few additional links on the recent history of MTBs and their humble origins in Northern California.

1593060760705.png

Last edited:
Browneye,

As mentioned before. competitive cyclist can have some pretty good deals if you can wait for black friday.

Another good source is backcountry.com(I think they are somehow related to competitive cyclist as a bike I ordered from them shipped from competitive cyclist and the prices appeared identical). I got a 2019 Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon 29 for 40%off last black friday. Santa Cruz was updating the bike for 2020 going longer/lower/slacker so the 2019 was being offered for a great price. The 2019 Tallboy was only a 110mm rear travel bike but suits my riding just fine (I dont bomb downhills that much these days and like a more XC oriented faster handling lighter ride). They also had the Niner Rip9 RDO(140mm travel) for great price but when I 'realistically' evaluated what I would be doing, the tallboy was a better fit. No regrets on the tallboy, it fits my needs perfectly.

Not stating that the tallboy or santa cruz by any means is the bike for you. At the time, The YT Jeffsy(aluminum) was the #1 bike on my list but out of stock. The giant trance was also on my list but out of stock.

Last edited:
Browneye,

As mentioned before. competitive cyclist can have some pretty good deals if you can wait for black friday.

Another good source is backcountry.com(I think they are somehow related to competitive cyclist as a bike I ordered from them shipped from competitive cyclist and the prices appeared identical). I got a 2019 Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon 29 for 40%off last black friday. Santa Cruz was updating the bike for 2020 going longer/lower/slacker so the 2019 was being offered for a great price. The 2019 Tallboy was only a 110mm rear travel bike but suits my riding just fine (I dont bomb downhills that much and like a more XC oriented faster handling ride). They also had the Niner Rip9 RDO(140mm travel) for great price but when I 'realistically' evaluated what I would be doing, the tallboy was a better fit.

Not stating that the tallboy or santa cruz by any means is the bike for you. At the time, The YT Jeffsy was the #1 bike on my list but out of stock. The giant trance was also on my list but out of stock.

Backcountry and Competitive Cyclist are owned by the same parent company... identical bike pricing. 😉

Last edited:
@PDoz, could you please look at the specs and geometry of this specific e-bike:

Can you make a judgement by just looking at the data? It's not that I want to buy it (too many e-bikes owned already). I'm just curious what I have missed.

I've never ridden one so have no idea how the rear suspension design works, but compared with your trance it might be a bit more agile but less stable climbing. Much depends on bb height which they don't list.

geometry specs can only give a small amount of info - a lot of the feel comes down to how much frame flex is built in and how the whole package works. Most of the opinions I've given have been based on bikes I've ridden - never pass up an opportunity to ride an interesting bike.

Trance is trail, levo is all mountain, reign and kenevo are enduro. I'm not aware of an ebike that is aimed at downhill - what would be the point?
PDoz, I forgot to say thank you for the information! Besides, what exactly makes the Trance E+ a trail bike?

PDoz, I forgot to say thank you for the information! Besides, what exactly makes the Trance E+ a trail bike?

relatively short travel ( emtb have 10 mm more travel than equivalent acoustics) , relatively steep steering , and longish chainstays designed more for climbing uphill than glicking the back off rocks fown. Plus mr marketing has always called trance a trail bike

So back in keeping with our thread here on eMTB's...

Here's a review on the new TREK RAIL 7...

And while I'm thinking about it, some of these state of the art pedal bikes from more or less obscure manufactures, all have an ebike model or lineup as well:

Canyon - https://www.canyon.com/en-us/e-bikes/e-mountain-bikes/
Pivot - https://store.pivotcycles.com/en/emtb
Marin - https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/type/e-bikes
Santa Cruz - https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/bikes/heckler
Commencal - https://www.commencalusa.com/e-bike-c102x3872628
YT Industries - https://us.yt-industries.com/cat/index/sCategory/73537
Norco - https://www.norco.com/
Scott - https://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/products/bike-bikes-ebike

I'm sure there are more...let's catalog them as a resource here.

There are a few Trance 29 Advanced Pro's around the area - the CF frame. Alloy wheels on the 3 - $3350, CF wheels on the 2 - $4500.
I would probly take the 3 with the alloy wheelset. I could upgrade later.
AFAIK, there's only a pound or two difference in weight from alloy to CF. Those in the know say the CF is more rigid where you want it to be, and the weight is noticeable.

Advance Pro 2 in Copper:

MY20TranceADPRO292_ColorA.jpg

There are a few Trance 29 Advanced Pro's around the area - the CF frame. Alloy wheels on the 3 - $3350, CF wheels on the 2 - $4500.
I would probly take the 3 with the alloy wheelset. I could upgrade later.
AFAIK, there's only a pound or two difference in weight from alloy to CF. Those in the know say the CF is more rigid where you want it to be, and the weight is noticeable.

Advance Pro 2 in Copper:

Normally I'm not a fan of carbon because, well, my bikes are covered in carbon destroying scratches....

But the carbon wheels feel a LOT different on the trance 29 er. It just seems to work - almost like that's what the engineer wanted to build but the marketing dept insisted on an alloy version for the masses?

I couldn't decide if it was less unsprung weight or just quicker springing / stiffer wheels , but the rear end was happy to flick off obstacles and the bike screamed " go for it"

The cynic in me thinks the 2021 trance will lose this - the 2020 didn't sell well , and I suspect the average punter took one look at the rear shock travel and bought elsewhere. Giant cares more about sales than smart riders, so they will probably follow the trend and go back to long travel rear next year. If you are even remotely interested inna playful lighter version of your etrance, get a ride on a carbon wheeled 2020 trance 29 er. Fun - not super fast down hill, but seriously good fun.

I'm close to jumping on one of these. It may not get a lot of use, but I would throw it in the truck with the ebike, and the wife's bike when we travel, so if it's National Forest trails here where ebikes are not allowed, I can ride the pedal bike. In my younger days I would just take my chances. At my age I loathe confrontation with law enforcement, even rangers. Sometimes they're worse than cops - give a guy a badge ya know. OTOH, at my age, white hair and beard, can probly get away with a warning - "Those are not allowed here you know?" LOL

The pedal bikers sure can be whiny and confrontational as well. And the bike trails seem to get a lot of traffic. Well, everything does here in California - 34 million people. Now I'm getting whiny. 🤣

I'm close to jumping on one of these. It may not get a lot of use, but I would throw it in the truck with the ebike, and the wife's bike when we travel, so if it's National Forest trails here where ebikes are not allowed, I can ride the pedal bike. In my younger days I would just take my chances. At my age I loathe confrontation with law enforcement, even rangers. Sometimes they're worse than cops - give a guy a badge ya know. OTOH, at my age, white hair and beard, can probly get away with a warning - "Those are not allowed here you know?" LOL

The pedal bikers sure can be whiny and confrontational as well. And the bike trails seem to get a lot of traffic. Well, everything does here in California - 34 million people. Now I'm getting whiny. 🤣

I know where you're coming from, but $4500 is a lot to spend compared to removing the battery, turning on the go pro, and asking mr moron to ride the next uphill

Friends,
My Monster has just been tuned. Speed Limit raised to 32 km/h (20 mph). I was unable to turn the Dynamic option on*. Riding after midnight with very strong bike lighting I reached 33.2 km/h. Success!
My brother has spent several hours trying to tuck the cables, connectors and the tuning module in the tight space around the motor...
----------
*) Perhaps it is always on in the Speed Mode because I felt no "wall effect" after passing 32 km/h...

Friends,
My Monster has just been tuned. Speed Limit raised to 32 km/h (20 mph). I was unable to turn the Dynamic option on*. Riding after midnight with very strong bike lighting I reached 33.2 km/h. Success!
My brother has spent several hours trying to tuck the cables, connectors and the tuning module in the tight space around the motor...
----------
*) Perhaps it is always on in the Speed Mode because I felt no "wall effect" after passing 32 km/h...

Congratulations! Are you able to increase the limit to 45km/h if desired at a later date?

Back