eMTB Options For 2024

I will come back to this thread later because I've a story for you but now I'm only telling you: the noise of the Syncdrive Pro is really nothing to talk about. The Maxxis tyres are louder than the motor! Had a long trip with my brother and am delighted!

Reactions: TMH
You would have to know what you're looking at to know a sensor was mounted outside or in on the chainstay. A couple of zipties and a magnet on the end of the pedal axle completes the hack. It is very slick.

My new road tires came for the extra set of wheels - I'm going for an axle swap to convert the bike from 'mountain' to 'road' in seconds. A duplicate of wheel and tire, cassette, sensor magnet. So far I really like how it works. I'm waiting on a a 11-42 cassette and an extra speed magnet. I really like how these tires look - I think they're a knock off from the Schwalbe moto-x tire - these are a little different, but they're really heavy duty. i was surprised with the width, they're a big tire for the eMTB. Mounted up super easy.

Well done... I am planning to get another complete wheelset for road use.

Who makes the tires? They look just like the Schwalbe Super Motos with an additional center band for the road.

I will come back to this thread later because I've a story for you but now I'm only telling you: the noise of the Syncdrive Pro is really nothing to talk about. The Maxxis tyres are louder than the motor! Had a long trip with my brother and am delighted!

The 2019 was noisy - a pleasant growl that drowned out shimanos riding nearby. The 2020 is quiet enough that I get annoyed by shimanos sneaking up. Strange how we adjust our expectations.

The other thing J noticed was how predictable the instant yamaha response was .

In corners, as soon as I pedal the yamaha helps. My mate is a much better rider than me, but I coukd see him changing posture as the shimano eventually increased support. It's part of the reason that I don't yse the auto mode - I enjoy instant and predictable assistance

There's a particularly tricky uphill rocky section that needs several 1/4 stabs at the cranks to avoid pedal strikes. He's a much better rider than me but didn't have a chance.

23 miles for me today. Bike is perfect - suspension perfect. 1H 49m.

I finally got a 0-50psi tire gauge - a must have for getting 22psi accurately. A 0-20 or 0-100 just doesn’t cut it. I was running too low.

Met another dirtbiker on the trail, he had a Pivot CF with Shimano drive. Knows how to ride it.
We exchanged digits for some future riding in the Sierras. Wd sure be fun to do a group camp again, and ride forest trails. 👍

@FlatSix911 - Kern area, north of Lake Isabella. Will ping you if we get a group trip going.

Last edited:
22 psi? My highly scientific approach is to ride the bike, pump the tyres up if they feel squishy or let them down if I'm bleeding.

You guys really like numbers

23 miles for me today. Bike is perfect - suspension perfect. 1H 49m.

I finally got a 0-50psi tire gauge - a must have for getting 22psi accurately. A 0-20 or 0-100 just doesn’t cut it. I was running too low.

Met another dirtbiker on the trail, he had a Pivot CF with Shimano drive. Knows how to ride it.
We exchanged digits for some future riding in the Sierras. Wd sure be fun to do a group camp again, and ride forest trails. 👍

@FlatSix911 - Kern area, north of Lake Isabella. Will ping you if we get a group trip going.

I'm in for a road trip & ride and will bring the post-ride beer! ;)

What do you people know about de-restricting the Shimano E8000?

Lots of options for Shimano Steps motors... take a look at the website below for a good summary.

Once you try a 25 km/h speed delimiter you will never go back... no more hitting the wall.

Last edited:
Once you try a 25 km/h speed delimiter you will never go back... no more hitting the wall.

That's what worries me. The giant is now out of warranty and the plan was to fit a badass now there is nothing to lose. But then there is the not so small problem of what happens with any future bikes I buy.

That's what worries me. The giant is now out of warranty and the plan was to fit a badass now there is nothing to lose.

But then there is the not so small problem of what happens with any future bikes I buy.

No worries... you deserve an unlimited bike and you can always buy a 25 mph / 45 kph speed pedelec in the future. ;)

Lots of options for Shimano Steps motors... take a look at the website below for a good summary.

Thank you very much FlatSix! A friend wants to de-restrict his Shimano E8000 Merida e-bike. I think the Badass Box 4 is the most practical.

Thank you very much FlatSix! A friend wants to de-restrict his Shimano E8000 Merida e-bike. I think the Badass Box 4 is the most practical.

I agree... the installation is easy and reversible. Just remember that the speed is now displayed at 1/2 the actual value.

FYI-I also spotted B/A boxes on the Amazon UK site which will ship to the USA. Not sure about other locations though. Worth a look.

Oh, the friend lives in Europe ;)

I agree... the installation is easy and reversible. Just remember that the speed is now displayed at 1/2 the actual value.

It's a business partner of my brother. He's been pissed with the restriction for a long time, and his e-bike is probably past the warranty.

Update on the speed hack...

Yesterday was my 63rd birthday. Yeah, getting old completely sucks. But I took the day off, and rode my mountain bike through a beautiful state park on our coast. Way fun. Since I was down in the area I thought I would stop at the local ebike shop and get a spoke magnet for the speed sensor, for my new wheel set. I should have another cassette and lockring tool arriving any day now. So a quick axle swap I can install road wheels and tires.

BTW, I also tested the CatEye speedo magnet on the Giant/Yamaha sensor and it works fine. So for anyone that wants to carry one for a spare it would likely work in a pinch. I thought I read elsewhere that the magnet was not strong enough and would throw your controller into error and shut down. Seemed to work fine.

Anyway, the magnet for the hub that works with the 2020 version of the speed sensor, is bolted onto the disc mounting. Since I was taking it off anyway, I got to thinking it would mount easily to the crank arm with some industrial foam mounting tape, so I thought I would try the sensor-relo speed hack. And I already had the security torx tool to remove the mounting screw for the speed sensor. Even better, there's a tab under the chainstay making it super easy to zip-tie the sensor in a perfect position for a magnet on the end of the crank. Within just a few minutes it was ready for testing.

For a summation, I would say don't bother. Yes, it keeps pulling as fast as you can pedal. I got up to about 24mph, pedaling as fast as I could. Wow, it buzzes! I just can't see any kind of consistent riding at any speed over about 20 or 21mph. So I suppose if you REALLY needed another mile an hour or two, it might be worth it. Otherwise, I was nonplussed. I'm going to put it back to stock and forget it.

Now if you could get a larger chain ring then it might make a lot more sense.

So here's what the hack looks like, and what to expect if you make the mod:

The hub magnet holder for the new version speed sensor makes for a really easy to attach magnet for the crank arm:

And while I'm at it, a couple of pics of the new trails I got to explore for my birthday. 😇

One of the single-track trails was SUPER steep and rocky. Not wanting to endo on my head, I walked it down the steepest parts. Sure was fun riding the trails though.
The clouds in the distance is the 'marine layer' of fog over the Pacific Ocean, near Newport Beach on the southern California coast.

Last edited:
Update on the speed hack...

Yesterday was my 63rd birthday. Yeah, getting old completely sucks. But I took the day off, and rode my mountain bike through a beautiful state park on our coast. Way fun. Since I was down in the area I thought I would stop at the local ebike shop and get a spoke magnet for the speed sensor, for my new wheel set. I should have another cassette and lockring tool arriving any day now. So a quick axle swap I can install road wheels and tires.

BTW, I also tested the Catyeye speedo magnet on the Giant/Yamaha sensor and it works fine. So for anyone that wants to carry one for a spare it would likely work in a pinch. I thought I read elsewhere that the magnet was not strong enough and would throw your controller into error and shut down. Seemed to work fine.

Anyway, the magnet for the hub that works with the 2020 version of the speed sensor, is bolted onto the disc mounting. Since I was taking it off anyway, I got to thinking it would mount easily to the crank arm with some industrial foam mounting tape, so I thought I would try the sensor-relo speed hack. And I already had the security torx tool to remove the mounting screw for the speed sensor. Even better, there's a tab under the chainstay making it super easy to zip-tie the sensor in a perfect position for a magnet on the end of the crank. Within just a few minutes it was ready for testing.

For a summation, I would say don't bother. Yes, it keeps pulling as fast as you can pedal. I got up to about 24mph, pedaling as fast as I could. Wow, it buzzes! I just can't see any kind of consistent riding any any speed over about 20 or 21mph. So I suppose if you REALLY needed another mile an hour or two, it might be worth it. Otherwise, I was nonplussed. I'm going to put it back to stock and forget it.

Now if you could get a larger chain ring then it might make a lot more sense.

So here's what the hack looks like, and what to expect if you make the mod:

The hub magnet holder for the new version speed sensor makes for a really easy to attach magnet for the crank arm:

And while I'm at it, a couple of pics of the new trails I got to explore for my birthday. 😇

One of the single-track trails was SUPER steep and rocky. Not wanting to endo on my head, I walked it down the steepest parts. Sure was fun riding the trails though.
The clouds in the distance is the 'marine layer' of fog over the Pacific Ocean, near Newport Beach on the southern California coast.

Browneye, Happy Birthday!

Nice work on the speed hack... it really comes in handy when riding on the road.

Last edited:
Back