eMTB Options For 2024

Nah, just an Australian adaptation of the vertical rack concept

I needed something that could carry 5 bikes AND still be able to tow a camper trailer along 4x4 tracks, it had to be quick to load for days where I'm shuttling the kids at mtb tracks, and it needed to cope with the weight of emtb's. Expensive, ( and heavy) but it's doing a great job.

I used to just toss the bikes on a tailgate pad with my old ute, but the ranger tub is too tall. I hate having to fiddle around when loading the bikes - especially if I have to remove wheels and risk getting dirt in the bearings.

Well done... I like the design of the rack and wonder if it will be available in the USA?

Well done... I like the design of the rack and wonder if it will be available in the USA?

It wouldn't be worth the postage. There's a few different vertical racks, yakima make a light weight version that mounts via the fork crowns. It might be worth asking around the mtb forums if something like the north shore can cope eith emtbhttps://www.northshoreracks.com/

I've just returned from 15 k with a couple if workmates - they rode my giant +/- my sons norco optic and I was on sprogettes scott genius. You've got to love that moment of realisation when they hop aboard the ebike and zip up a hill.

I really should be getting a commission from the lbs...

Since getting my mountain bike I've done our local 12 mile loop now about eight or ten times. Yesterday I decided to branch out so went for a 45K trek - 600meter elevation up and down - bike had 20% charge left. I'm pretty happy with the range. The bike performs really well, but I pretty much ride at the speed limit on the road - about half of this trip was getting there. @FlatSix911 - this is where a speed-hack would surely pay off.

Our local foothills are a wilderness preserve and state park with a few wide dirt trails across. Plenty of hikers - I'm surprised they would walk so far. Anyway, it was pretty fun, and a long way, got back before it got too warm. Not very scenic though, no trees, just rolling brushy hills. Not very interesting terrain. And yes, the smog is back...EVERYBODY is out and about - they are done with the lockdown order. It's over.

I was able to ride over to the next county...at least could see it. This is Chino Hills State Park in southern California.

Even the geese got a ticket for not social distancing...

I have just been on my first true MTB trip with my friends near to Cracow. The Trance E+ 2 Pro is a miracle! I didn't complain on the low speed, riding in the Eco mode on the flat to conserve the battery. I was switching the assist Off downhill and used the Normal mode for steep inclines. We had as much as 34% of the trip uphill. I even conquered so steep incline that (as my friends said) it was impossible to ride it up with a bike, and to the awe of the locals 😃 The Power mode and one of the lowest gears, I think gear 2. On the return, it was 26% of the charge in the battery.

What a fantastic experience! More and photos on Monday.

Since getting my mountain bike I've done our local 12 mile loop now about eight or ten times. Yesterday I decided to branch out so went for a 45K trek - 600meter elevation up and down - bike had 20% charge left. I'm pretty happy with the range. The bike performs really well, but I pretty much ride at the speed limit on the road - about half of this trip was getting there. @FlatSix911 - this is where a speed-hack would surely pay off.

Our local foothills are a wilderness preserve and state park with a few wide dirt trails across. Plenty of hikers - I'm surprised they would walk so far. Anyway, it was pretty fun, and a long way, got back before it got too warm. Not very scenic though, no trees, just rolling brushy hills. Not very interesting terrain. And yes, the smog is back...EVERYBODY is out and about - they are done with the lockdown order. It's over.

I was able to ride over to the next county...at least could see it. This is Chino Hills State Park in southern California.

Even the geese got a ticket for not social distancing...

Nice ride! You could always get the clip-on speed box for Giant/Yamaha and remove it when needed... just a thought. ;)

Last edited:
The First Day with The Trance E+ 2 Pro

My brother Jacek said he would not let me ride out in Cracow before he inspected and fixed my new mount :D

View attachment 52448
My new ride as collected from one of three Bikeman LBSes in Warsaw. While it is a fantastic e-bike, I didn't like the saddle and the grips. The bike came with no pedals, and my brother asked me to fit the Shimano clipless ones for that day.

View attachment 52451
My other brother Piotr test-riding the Trance. Piotr has a lot of experience in MTBs. He rides a Scott himself.

View attachment 52452
Jacek has installed an 80 mm Ergotec stem raiser. Before, my head was below my behind :D The shocks had been inadequately inflated.

View attachment 52453
Jacek doing stunts.

View attachment 52454
Brethren indefinitely testing the bike. Grace (Margaret) got bored but she met Jacek's wife soon and both had a little drink together.

View attachment 52455
"What else could I do to your bike, Brother?"
"Yes, I can go for rides together with you provided you ride the Giant" -- Jacek said -- "because you won't be able to escape from me on the EU Class 1 e-bike!" 🤣
Jacek got overexcited with the Trance E. I told him the Turbo Levo SL would be the ideal e-bike for him. He is extremely fit, needs a lightweight bike and he believes the Trance E offers too much of assistance to him. He'd use the electric power uphill and upwind only.

@PDoz, there was no trouble with the software update with Android! The Auto mode works like a dream!

View attachment 52456
You have seen this photo already. The 1999 Giant MTB was a novelty at its times. So much has changed over the last 21 years... My brothers were admiring the design of the battery chamber in my Trance E. It is a work of a genius! Down with Specialized!

@PDoz and @Browneye, many thanks for the inspiration! I have found my Holy Grail!
Way to go Stephan! We are all so happy that you finally purchased your dream machine. The colors are phenomenal indeed! I asked that you do an epic pres after purchase and you came through with flying colors. Hope you enjoy your bike many years ahead moving forward. Cheers!

Got a link?

Here you go... I had to order from Ebay as the OEM seller would not ship to the USA.

Here you go... I had to order from Ebay as the OEM seller would not ship to the USA.

I also purchased the SpeedClip from Ebay and it works flawlessly on my Yamaha PW-X. Gets me up to 30mph on flats in a flash. Downhill can get you up to approx 40mph depending on the duration of the ride. I won't leave home without it! :p 👍

I also purchased the SpeedClip from Ebay and it works flawlessly on my Yamaha PW-X. Gets me up to 30mph on flats in a flash.
Downhill can get you up to approx 40mph depending on the duration of the ride. I won't leave home without it! :p 👍

Glad to hear you are enjoying the SpeedClip.

I always felt like I had just broken the speed barrier with a sonic boom at the limit... I think I feel the need for speed!

I envy you guys having fun with your speed chips!

I ordered a couple of PearTune MSO's from the manufacturer through eBay, but unfortunately it seems like the first shipment has been lost. Czech postal says they have forwarded them to the destination carrier and USPS says they know to expect them but haven't received them. Were supposed to have been delivered a couple of weeks ago.

I've been in contact with the seller, am quite sure they will take care of things in the end, and I'm not at all worried about losing the money. But I want them NOW! (cue video of a child's tantrum). ;)

Czech postal says they have forwarded them to the destination carrier and USPS says they know to expect them but haven't received them. Were supposed to have been delivered a couple of weeks ago.

Furthermore, I consider that all state-run postal services must be dissolved.
/Cato the Censor/

EBike-Tuning won't ship to USA.
TheGermany source on ebay is 'out of stock'.

I'm loath to place an order to a foreign entity that takes 30 days to ship. ;)

EDIT: I have emailed an inquiry to ebikespartsandaccessories.com to ask if they have the BA-box in stock and if there is day in mailing.

Last edited:
EBike-Tuning won't ship to USA.
TheGermany source on ebay is 'out of stock'.

I'm loath to place an order to a foreign entity that takes 30 days to ship. ;)

EDIT: I have emailed an inquiry to ebikespartsandaccessories.com to ask if they have the BA-box in stock and if there is day in mailing.

would you like an Australian to place an order to an Australian company for you? I'm happy to test it and make sure it works ( on private property officer)... then after 30 days of it being in the mail I might remember to post it...

I got a prompt reply...showing promise.
They have BAB for Giant in stock, $150.

"I have the Giant BAB in stock and yes you are right! lately, the Australian Post delivery time have been shocking.
For this reason, from yesterday, we post our parcels with Sendle and therefore we don’t make use of the Australian Post anymore.
It should be way quicker than the Australian Post but please be aware than the Covid situation is affecting delivery times across the board.

I dunno, I can do the sensor move mod and put a magnet on the crank. For the cost of a magnet. [shrug]

Back