eMTB Options For 2024

Just a caution for people looking at second hand low km " bargains" at the moment. As well as the minefield of non transferable warranties, keep in mind the potential for inaccurate odometer readings - by either cheating devices , faulty speed sensors, or parts replacement.

This is the odo on my giant full e pro a couple of weeks before running out of warranty - 41 km.....on the new motor. The rest of the bike has somewhere between 2500 to 7000 HARD km - including the battery and most of the running gear. I honestly can't say what the real usage is, because at "2500" km, 2000 km were accumulated whilst my speed sensor was presumably unreliable ( the computer decided my average speed was 7.2 kph over that time - yet for the first 500 km I was averaging 19 kph...). I can't even guess at how far I've ridden - but I've worn out 2 cassettes, 5 chains, 3 sets of tyres. I've replaced bith f+r wheel bearings twice and the suspension bushes were recently replaced....so I expect 5000 km might be closer to the truth.

Words of wisdom. My old BH Evo took to resetting the odometer ever few hundred km's, so the trip computer is the last thing I'd be trusting.

Where'd you source that EVO screen protector? I like the coverage over the gaps around the edge of the display.

This is a strange market, @PDoz. Fancy someone has "turned back" a car odometer because the engine was replaced. I'm ignorant but guess it would be a kind of a criminal offence. Yet you have proved yourself it happens to ebikes.

A question: has anyone of you heard of a successful Syncdrive Pro 2020 delimiter? @Browneye, is your speed magnet on a spoke or on the brake rotor?

I'm a bit disappointed, I was hoping to compare emtb usage / lifespan with what I used to get from my dirtbikes. Hmmmm.....I wonder if she who always says yes will agree to me " needing" a new bike so I can start that experiment fresh?

Conveniently ignoring that most of my motorbikes smashed 3/4 odometers a year....

Magnet on the spoke, and yes I have tested it. It's pretty amazing. When you're ready to jump off warranty there are some easy hacks.
Now you're sucking battery range, I guarantee it. :cool: But the bike will probly go 45kmh pretty easily. I don't think there's a limit to cadence, so it's kind of up to how fast you can pedal. To be able to ride there a lot I would want to have taller gearing in the first place, and theres not much room, if any, to go down on chainring teeth.

I am working on a project to see if I can build my Trance to be as nice as my Explore for road. I got the second set of wheels and setting them up so a simple axle swap will convert the bike to balloon road tires. So far I'm in the project about $300. I still have to source a second cassette, have tires coming with tubes.
The take-off wheels are brand new. I'm kind of tickled to get them, actually.

@PDoz - that's a lot of miles on a trailbike. Especially one you have to pedal. ;)

Chris, I understand what you're saying but the 2020 Trance is different. Regarding the usage, I will keep my Trance Class 1 until the warranty expires. My two other e-bikes satisfy my need for speed :D Now I've got new capabilities. Back there in 2013, I had two rides in the Kampinos National Park. The first one ended when I met the sand. I survived the other but the bike sank in the mud up to the axles. I'm sure I could make the KPN with the Trance now.

I'm so happy with the shocks in the Trance! Both fork shocks and the damper are properly inflated for my weight. I checked the O-ring positions and it is fine. My brother tells me the Fox shocks are lighter than the RockShox ones and that's why the former are used in the Trance.

This is a strange market, @PDoz. Fancy someone has "turned back" a car odometer because the engine was replaced. I'm ignorant but guess it would be a kind of a criminal offense. Yet you have proved yourself it happens to ebikes.

A question: has anyone of you heard of a successful Syncdrive Pro 2020 delimiter? @Browneye, is your speed magnet on a spoke or on the brake rotor?

Lots of tuning options are available... see the link below for two dozen alternatives.

I like external delimiters that use the spoke magnet... easy to remove when needed.

Here is a quick video tutorial for an internal option... YMMV. ;)

Before I watch the video, FlatSix911, are you aware the 2020 Giant e-bikes have the magnet on the brake rotor? And there is RideControl One there. And the latest Syncdrive Pro (Yamaha PW-X2).

Before I watch the video, FlatSix911, are you aware the 2020 Giant e-bikes have the magnet on the brake rotor?

Yes, you will probably be limited to the internal options with the new rotor magnet design.

The Red/Blue/Green PED is probably the most sophisticated option available with a tuning app for your phone.

Chris, I understand what you're saying but the 2020 Trance is different. Regarding the usage, I will keep my Trance Class 1 until the warranty expires. My two other e-bikes satisfy my need for speed :D Now I've got new capabilities. Back there in 2013, I had two rides in the Kampinos National Park. The first one ended when I met the sand. I survived the other but the bike sank in the mud up to the axles. I'm sure I could make the KPN with the Trance now.

I'm so happy with the shocks in the Trance! Both fork shocks and the damper are properly inflated for my weight. I checked the O-ring positions and it is fine. My brother tells me the Fox shocks are lighter than the RockShox ones and that's why the former are used in the Trance.

The 2020 motor works perfectly well with the old spoke magnet / swing arm mounted sensor, soI'd be surprised if you couldn't rig something up. To be honest, I'd be surprised if you needed to bother

I have not felt pressed for more speed on the Trance. Besides, it goes plenty fast downhill. LOL

The Explore could use a couple more mph. But the wife won't ride faster than class 1 anyway, so it's kind of moot. That bike would also be easier to re-gear. I have to remind myself to not get too carried away. For a guy that wanted that extra speed there are surely options, and the drive has no trouble with it. The motor set is surely capable of the extra rpms. It just whines a little higher. ;)

Here's the deal... I like to ride my EMTBs from my home to the nearby trails on the Pacific coast range.

I need Class 3+ speed on the road for safety & performance and then Class 1 for the off-road single track.

The speed box is a perfect solution for my needs... problem solved. YMMV ;)

Here's the deal... I like to ride my EMTBs from my home to the nearby trails on the Pacific coast range.

I need Class 3+ speed on the road for safety & performance and then Class 1 for the off-road single track.

The speed box is a perfect solution for my needs... problem solved. YMMV ;)
I don't know how far the trail is from your home, but if you ride class 3 speed to the trail, won't the battery be drained for your trail riding?

I love the QR thru-axles in the Monster!
P.S. Already in Cracow!
IMG_20200516_092234-01.jpeg

IMG_20200516_161054-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Can't be done. I would need to install the towing hook and the cable for the rear lights repeater, make a duplicate of the registration plate. Too much hassle. Approaching Cracow with 15 km left.

It looks like a custom design... ;)

Nah, just an Australian adaptation of the vertical rack concept

I needed something that could carry 5 bikes AND still be able to tow a camper trailer along 4x4 tracks, it had to be quick to load for days where I'm shuttling the kids at mtb tracks, and it needed to cope with the weight of emtb's. Expensive, ( and heavy) but it's doing a great job.

I used to just toss the bikes on a tailgate pad with my old ute, but the ranger tub is too tall. I hate having to fiddle around when loading the bikes - especially if I have to remove wheels and risk getting dirt in the bearings.

Attachments

• 1710C2D9-5625-464C-9F10-5DAEBB9330AC.jpeg
    1710C2D9-5625-464C-9F10-5DAEBB9330AC.jpeg
    556.8 KB · Views: 318
  • 90870155-B5F0-4CAA-89AC-3B36D453DA83.jpeg
    90870155-B5F0-4CAA-89AC-3B36D453DA83.jpeg
    796.9 KB · Views: 297
Back