Electric Car thread

For those who want to read the article as it pertains to electric cars:

bad678f91e339f689218007af0c02e470623ae5f.jpg

‘I’m quite proud of American manufacturing’ and the EVs coming from U.S. companies, says Mr. Leno, shown at his 1930s mansion in Newport, R.I.

Jay Leno on Electric Cars, Hydrogen Fuel, Space Travel—and His Recent Accident
The comedian and car lover has been very happy with the EVs he has bought. He is less interested in leaving Earth, though.

By
ALLIE LEEPSON + JESSE MCCLARY FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
11 Dec 2022 13:26:51​

Two years ago, we invited Jay Leno to write about his love of cars, and his thoughts about driving during the pandemic. In that article, he also talked about his fondness for electric cars.

A lot has happened in those two years, with technology companies, auto makers and governments betting a lot of money on electric vehicles as the transportation of the near future. So we thought it was time to check in with Mr. Leno, who is back performing at comedy clubs after his accident in which he suffered severe burns while working on one of his cars. He has new material from the accident, he says.

Here is what Mr. Leno had to say, as told to The Wall Street Journal.

They had electric cars before they had gas cars back in the early 1900s. But at the time, what they didn’t have was electricity, at least in homes. I mean wealthy people had it, which is why wealthy Wall Street types bought electric cars for their wives, because they could putt around town and not get on your hands and knees and crank it and get dirty and set the choke and get gasoline on your hands and that kind of thing.

So electric vehicles were always quite popular for that reason. I’ve said this before, but for new technologies to succeed, it can’t be equal. It has to be superior on every level and to other forms.

I’ve got a 1909 Baker Electric and I’ve got a 1914 Detroit Electric that we’ve converted to modern electrics. We put air conditioning and Bluetooth and all kinds of things in the Detroit Electric. My 1909 Baker Electric has not needed any service in the 30 years that I’ve had it. I’ve replaced the batteries because they’re basically like golf-cart batteries, deep cycle six volts. And they last about 12 years. They’re not lithium ion. You could change to lithium ion if you wanted to, but it’s an antique vehicle.

I’m quite proud of American manufacturing. The new electric Ford F-150 is unbelievable. I drove it as a work vehicle. It is eminently practical. You can you go 240 miles on it, and you can power your house for three days with it if you lose power.

When they had the big freeze down there in Houston last year and people had no electricity for days, dealers, in one of the most brilliant public-relations moves, just gave the trucks to people, and people powered their houses for days—making them, if not customers, certainly fans.

The Chevy Volt at an auto show in Detroit. Mr. Leno owned one that he says he drove for 90,000 miles—and only 3,800 of that was gas-powered.

I thought a car that was just brilliant was the Chevy Volt. I had one for seven years. It’s a hybrid and you got 40 miles electric free without using any gas. It didn’t seem like much, but I put 90,000 miles on that car, only 3,800 of it was gasoline-powered. I used it at my shop: We’d plug it in, then we’d go to lunch in it, go run an errand and do some chores, which is 25 to 30 miles around Los Angeles. We’d come back, plug it in, and you go back to work for a couple of hours.

I was never having to switch over to the gas part of it. Once a year, every Dec. 7, not for any particular political reason, just every Dec. 7, I’d fill up the tank.

When the Volt stopped that they went to the Bolt, which is pure electric because in a lot of states now you can’t get the tax break or anything with a hybrid.

I think it makes perfect sense that you use your electric car during the week. To sit in traffic on the 405 freeway in bumper to bumper, in something that gets 7 to 9 miles a gallon, really doesn’t make a lot of sense. I used to have a Jaguar; it had a big V-8 engine that was supercharged, and that was $125 a week in gas. And I didn’t feel like I was going anywhere. I switched to the Tesla, and now it costs about the same as a cooking a turkey.

I think the electric car will be the great savior of the classic-car industry and gasoline cars. Remember, in the early 1900s, 500 tons of horse manure were dumped into the streets of New York City every day. Suddenly, the car comes along, and a puff of blue smoke in your face wasn’t so bad. Horses became something people loved, and used for show and racing.

That’s what will happen with the gas car. Sitting in L.A. traffic with a Ferrari going 8 miles an hour is nobody’s idea of fun. So you use an electric car during the week, and on the weekend you drive up in the mountains and use the Ferrari for what it was made for. Or maybe you have a ’65 Mustang. Now it is something to be restored and treasured.

Hydrogen fuel is a sleeper

I love reading future stuff. You look at the year 1900, and they said by the year 1950, women would be sitting in bars, smoking and drinking just like men. It showed women in hoop skirts with one leg in the air and they’re smoking cigarettes and they have a bottle of whiskey in the hand. They never even foresaw women having voting rights, women becoming senators, women having equality with men. They only saw it as they would pick up the bad habits of men.

Nobody ever thinks that far ahead.

Everybody predicted flying cars. But that never happened.

Nobody predicted when I was a kid that we’d be carrying a phone. When I was in the fifth grade, a guy from a Bell phone company came to our classroom, and he said by the time we were grown up, no American would be further than one mile from a phone, no matter where they were in the United States. And we just thought that was unbelievable. The idea of carrying a phone with you never ever occurred to anybody. A Star Trek communicator? That was hundreds of years in the future. But it has happened already.

The other great one for cars is hydrogen. Hydrogen can be a real player in the future and I would not rule it out.

I like hydrogen because the more alternatives you have, the better. During World War II, when there was a gasoline shortage, a lot of people pulled out their old Stanley Steamer cars. And people converted their cars. There used to be a thing called a gasifier. They would put it so it looks like a big stove in the back seat of the car and they would burn wood or coal, they would run a tube to the carburetor and the car would run on the methane from the burning of the wood or coal just like with gas. It was inconvenient, yes. It was messy, it was dirty, but it did provide transportation when gasoline was not available.

In case of some sort of natural disaster where, oh, our lines of fuel are shut off, we have electricity, we have hydrogen, we even have steam if necessary.

I demonstrated a hydrogen car back onstage in 2001. I said, “Give me a glass.” So I took a glass and I started up the hydrogen car on the stage, and I put the glass under the tailpipe and I went back to the talk. The byproduct of hydrogen is water. After 20 minutes, the glass filled up with water, and I drank it and people were astounded. It wasn’t the best-tasting water, but there was nothing harmful about it. Hydrogen is a viable fuel because the only byproduct is water. I think hydrogen is a sleeper.

Mr. Leno bought a Tesla Model S Plaid last year to replace his old Tesla, which he had owned for seven years. ’I never went to the Tesla shop for anything other than a flat tire,’ he says.

PHOTO:

Bullish on Tesla

Last year, I sold my old Tesla and bought a new one, the Tesla Plaid. That’s the latest version, and at least as of this date, it’s the fastest-accelerating car you could buy with the exception of the $2.5 million Rimac. If you’re looking for performance at a reasonable price, it’s a pretty good deal. My other Tesla was seven years old. I got $95,000 for it. It held its value. The battery dropped maybe 3% to 5%. As a first-generation Tesla, you got about 228 miles on a charge. When I sold it, it was 223, maybe. I never went to the Tesla shop for anything other than a flat tire.

Note: the article concludes with Leno's thoughts on space exploration to Mars, and his recent accident suffering facial burns from a gasoline fire. I chopped those paragraphs off as it didn't pertain to this thread, nor was it interesting.

Last edited:
Hydrogen thoughts are spot on…new catalysts, storage for renewables excess are making this happen. Japan has just built their first plant

View attachment 143028
‘I’m quite proud of American manufacturing’ and the EVs coming from U.S. companies, says Mr. Leno, shown at his 1930s mansion in Newport, R.I.

The comedian and car lover has been very happy with the EVs he has bought. He is less interested in leaving Earth, though.

By

Two years ago, we invited Jay Leno to write about his love of cars, and his thoughts about driving during the pandemic. In that article, he also talked about his fondness for electric cars.

A lot has happened in those two years, with technology companies, auto makers and governments betting a lot of money on electric vehicles as the transportation of the near future. So we thought it was time to check in with Mr. Leno, who is back performing at comedy clubs after his accident in which he suffered severe burns while working on one of his cars. He has new material from the accident, he says.

They had electric cars before they had gas cars back in the early 1900s. But at the time, what they didn’t have was electricity, at least in homes. I mean wealthy people had it, which is why wealthy Wall Street types bought electric cars for their wives, because they could putt around town and not get on your hands and knees and crank it and get dirty and set the choke and get gasoline on your hands and that kind of thing.

So electric vehicles were always quite popular for that reason. I’ve said this before, but for new technologies to succeed, it can’t be equal. It has to be superior on every level and to other forms.

I’ve got a 1909 Baker Electric and I’ve got a 1914 Detroit Electric that we’ve converted to modern electrics. We put air conditioning and Bluetooth and all kinds of things in the Detroit Electric. My 1909 Baker Electric has not needed any service in the 30 years that I’ve had it. I’ve replaced the batteries because they’re basically like golf-cart batteries, deep cycle six volts. And they last about 12 years. They’re not lithium ion. You could change to lithium ion if you wanted to, but it’s an antique vehicle.

I’m quite proud of American manufacturing. The new electric Ford F-150 is unbelievable. I drove it as a work vehicle. It is eminently practical. You can you go 240 miles on it, and you can power your house for three days with it if you lose power.

When they had the big freeze down there in Houston last year and people had no electricity for days, dealers, in one of the most brilliant public-relations moves, just gave the trucks to people, and people powered their houses for days—making them, if not customers, certainly fans.

The Chevy Volt at an auto show in Detroit. Mr. Leno owned one that he says he drove for 90,000 miles—and only 3,800 of that was gas-powered.

I thought a car that was just brilliant was the Chevy Volt. I had one for seven years. It’s a hybrid and you got 40 miles electric free without using any gas. It didn’t seem like much, but I put 90,000 miles on that car, only 3,800 of it was gasoline-powered. I used it at my shop: We’d plug it in, then we’d go to lunch in it, go run an errand and do some chores, which is 25 to 30 miles around Los Angeles. We’d come back, plug it in, and you go back to work for a couple of hours.

I was never having to switch over to the gas part of it. Once a year, every Dec. 7, not for any particular political reason, just every Dec. 7, I’d fill up the tank.

When the Volt stopped that they went to the Bolt, which is pure electric because in a lot of states now you can’t get the tax break or anything with a hybrid.

I think it makes perfect sense that you use your electric car during the week. To sit in traffic on the 405 freeway in bumper to bumper, in something that gets 7 to 9 miles a gallon, really doesn’t make a lot of sense. I used to have a Jaguar; it had a big V-8 engine that was supercharged, and that was $125 a week in gas. And I didn’t feel like I was going anywhere. I switched to the Tesla, and now it costs about the same as a cooking a turkey.

I think the electric car will be the great savior of the classic-car industry and gasoline cars. Remember, in the early 1900s, 500 tons of horse manure were dumped into the streets of New York City every day. Suddenly, the car comes along, and a puff of blue smoke in your face wasn’t so bad. Horses became something people loved, and used for show and racing.

That’s what will happen with the gas car. Sitting in L.A. traffic with a Ferrari going 8 miles an hour is nobody’s idea of fun. So you use an electric car during the week, and on the weekend you drive up in the mountains and use the Ferrari for what it was made for. Or maybe you have a ’65 Mustang. Now it is something to be restored and treasured.

I love reading future stuff. You look at the year 1900, and they said by the year 1950, women would be sitting in bars, smoking and drinking just like men. It showed women in hoop skirts with one leg in the air and they’re smoking cigarettes and they have a bottle of whiskey in the hand. They never even foresaw women having voting rights, women becoming senators, women having equality with men. They only saw it as they would pick up the bad habits of men.

Nobody predicted when I was a kid that we’d be carrying a phone. When I was in the fifth grade, a guy from a Bell phone company came to our classroom, and he said by the time we were grown up, no American would be further than one mile from a phone, no matter where they were in the United States. And we just thought that was unbelievable. The idea of carrying a phone with you never ever occurred to anybody. A Star Trek communicator? That was hundreds of years in the future. But it has happened already.

The other great one for cars is hydrogen. Hydrogen can be a real player in the future and I would not rule it out.

I like hydrogen because the more alternatives you have, the better. During World War II, when there was a gasoline shortage, a lot of people pulled out their old Stanley Steamer cars. And people converted their cars. There used to be a thing called a gasifier. They would put it so it looks like a big stove in the back seat of the car and they would burn wood or coal, they would run a tube to the carburetor and the car would run on the methane from the burning of the wood or coal just like with gas. It was inconvenient, yes. It was messy, it was dirty, but it did provide transportation when gasoline was not available.

In case of some sort of natural disaster where, oh, our lines of fuel are shut off, we have electricity, we have hydrogen, we even have steam if necessary.

I demonstrated a hydrogen car back onstage in 2001. I said, “Give me a glass.” So I took a glass and I started up the hydrogen car on the stage, and I put the glass under the tailpipe and I went back to the talk. The byproduct of hydrogen is water. After 20 minutes, the glass filled up with water, and I drank it and people were astounded. It wasn’t the best-tasting water, but there was nothing harmful about it. Hydrogen is a viable fuel because the only byproduct is water. I think hydrogen is a sleeper.

Mr. Leno bought a Tesla Model S Plaid last year to replace his old Tesla, which he had owned for seven years. ’I never went to the Tesla shop for anything other than a flat tire,’ he says.

PHOTO:

Bullish on Tesla

Last year, I sold my old Tesla and bought a new one, the Tesla Plaid. That’s the latest version, and at least as of this date, it’s the fastest-accelerating car you could buy with the exception of the $2.5 million Rimac. If you’re looking for performance at a reasonable price, it’s a pretty good deal. My other Tesla was seven years old. I got $95,000 for it. It held its value. The battery dropped maybe 3% to 5%. As a first-generation Tesla, you got about 228 miles on a charge. When I sold it, it was 223, maybe. I never went to the Tesla shop for anything other than a flat tire.

Note: the article concludes with Leno's thoughts on space exploration to Mars, and his recent accident suffering facial burns from a gasoline fire. I chopped those paragraphs off as it didn't pertain to this thread, nor was it interesting.
Seen a Volt at A Sheetz yesterday as I was pouring 88 octane into a 20 MPG guzzler, I said WTF( till I remembered) ( 9 out of ten-I would almost bet that VOLT was used as a gas burner- why do I say that? Because I have seen what the proletariat do with used specialty cars around here( maybe not- thing is I have seen so many turboed cars converted to NA after the turbo goes out around these parts)

Hydrogen thoughts are spot on…new catalysts, storage for renewables excess are making this happen. Japan has just built their first plant
What happens when the H2 plants are robbed of their precious metals? I think it should be against the law for a scrap merchant to buy auto convertors, speaking of a mess one scrap dealer told me of a guy that tried to sell him a barrel of convertor innards for scrap( He declined the purchase)

View attachment 143028

By

PHOTO:

Bullish on Tesla

Good article, thanks for posting. Leno sounds like he knows cars pretty well including the history of them.

So I decided to do a rough evaluation of the impact on the grid if 100% of cars go electric..
(Knowing that no matter what that 100% could never be achieved anyway)

1671914607145.png

Not that scary :)

Last edited:
So I decide to do a rough evaluation of the impact on the grid if 100% of cars go electric..

View attachment 143250

Not that scary :)
Definitely not that scary. And add the fact that most owners schedule their charging during “off peak” hours when there’s low demand. And as many single family homes and businesses are going with solar, it’s offsetting much of the impact during “peak” hours.

Meanwhile, this weekend many eastern states' residents were asked to not recharge their EVs because it could push the grid into rolling blackouts. "Not that scary," right... ;)

Meanwhile, this weekend many eastern states' residents were asked to not recharge their EVs because it could push the grid into rolling blackouts. "Not that scary," right... ;)

I know you think you are making some sort of argument, but it is a pretty irrelevant one.
There is an electricity shortage so they ask people to preserve electricity, so what?
That applies to any electrical consumption, not just EVs. In Europe they asked people to reduce their heating habits, they asked some businesses to close certain hours etc.... It does not make heating bad, or these company a problem....
If tomorrow there is a shortage of Oil, they will ask you to limit your ICE car usage, that does not make ICE cars a problem ....

I'm on the eastern seaboard and I don't remember being asked this by anyone or any utility. So...who did the asking?? Why am I being left out of the loop....or.... is this just some newspaper fictitious fodder? If so, I could use some of that paper to start the fire in the fireplace. 🔥 If it's internet fodder, it's of even less value.

I'm on the eastern seaboard and I don't remember being asked this by anyone or any utility. So...who did the asking?? Why am I being left out of the loop....or.... is this just some newspaper fictitious fodder? If so, I could use some of that paper to start the fire in the fireplace. 🔥 If it's internet fodder, it's of even less value.
Our provider asked us to cut the heat back and conserve during the cold snap, several times the power cut out.its a strange thing actually because our CO OP has taken measures to help our local grid, of course the electricity for the most part comes from somewhere else. Even with our population decreasing the newer homes are getting bigger and bigger and few contractors practice the ( what do you call it?) Earth Star, Energy star. not sure what the standard is called we only have one contractor that practices high-efficiency building practices
( get this He is a Bike rider) .

Per WSJ news article today, it has become more expensive in Berlin to charge a Tesla 3 for an equivalent 100 miles €18.46 vs. a Honda Civic for 100 miles €18.31. The Civic is equivalent in the EPA Fuel Guide to the Tesla 3.

Per WSJ news article today, it has become more expensive in Berlin to charge a Tesla 3 for an equivalent 100 miles €18.46 vs. a Honda Civic for 100 miles €18.31. The Civic is equivalent in the EPA Fuel Guide to the Tesla 3.
And last month it was the opposite, and next month who knows...
That is what I like about EVs.
Put solar on your roof, and you no longer have to worry about which crisis is going to inflate which energy prices (regardless of the one you use) :)
All the while enjoying the best driving and ownership car experience...

Step by step we're getting closer to having our EVs do more than just transport us down the road.

Australian vineyard owner turns to his Nissan Leaf paired with his new solar panels to provide power to his business.

And this which really has me sitting up and taking notice: Getting North America prepared for individuals to start providing power to their homes via their Nissan Leafs

Nissan has been showcasing their EVs capacity to run V2H (vehicle to house) since the mid 2010s. It's about time they made it available to the those who own Leafs. The company who installed our solar array said they will be more than happy to come out to do the Solar/Leaf/house panel install for my emergency backup.

Right now I'm happy with the Grid doing the job banking my excess power for me, seamlessly transitioning my house throughout the day from solar to grid back to solar as needed, and me having my solar green credits making money for me by being sold on the open market. One big plus regarding the V2H is I'll have a mobile 40kWh battery source that I can drive to any local available open charging station to "fill" should an extreme emergency require it. Can't do that with a solar battery affixed to the house wall.

Last edited:
Over the last 2 years, our electric rates have more than doubled. Yes, gasoline has also gone up but not as much percentage wise. At this rate, in 10 years, EV's will be more expensive to operate than ICE vehicles. 🙄

Over the last 2 years, our electric rates have more than doubled. Yes, gasoline has also gone up but not as much percentage wise. At this rate, in 10 years, EV's will be more expensive to operate than ICE vehicles. 🙄
Let's hope that in 10 years we will have vehicles that can go 1,000 miles on one charge. In the past 4 years the battery capacity has gone from 150 miles/charge to 400 miles/charge. In another 4 years I'll wager the top range will be 800 miles/charge.

I'll also wager that the gas companies will have started including charging stations besides their pumps. Thing is...those charging stations are only useful for people who can't charge from home, or at work, or are going for long trips. Not everyone will need them, like everyone today needs gasoline that is controlled by the major oil corporations. Most of the people I know that have EVs also have solar on their houses. Just a matter of time before residential solar become the defacto "free" electric supply for a good number of households.

We're in the beginning stage of an era of historic transition from fossil fuels to cleaner energy. Not much of the past will be remaining in 20 years from now.

Honestly, I'm looking forward to what life will be in 7 years from now. It's going to be amazing.

1 in 5 Australia homes have PV arrays on their roofs. In conjunction with some mega batteries that's been enough to push energy generation to 100% renewable for large portions of the day in several states. That's also a fair chunk of idle capacity that can be directed towards EV charging. Our PV generates between 25 - 45 kWh per day when the sun is shining, which is bloody well most of the time. A day of that would do our mileage needs for close to a fortnight.

The rise of micro grids and community storage is further strengthening resilience in the energy network to shocks like fire, flood and other extreme climatic events. Not that there's many of those around at the moment 🙄

You folk in shadier climes have your own challenges, but I've never seen capitalism fail to rise to a solution where money and demand are on the table.

The last few years (in particular the last year) has also brought home the danger of over reliance on totalitarian states for goods and resources. It's reassuring to read steps towards nationalising battery and EV manufacture: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12...rt-lithium-battery-renewable-energy/101793740

I also remain cautiously optimistic. It's not going to be an energy utopia. It's still a marketplace and capital expects return. And there's still massive, unresolved equity issues for lower income motorists, renters and home owners. But I see hope for a more diversified, resilient, cleaner network. And that's without even mentioning the climatic impact of fossil fuels.

Last edited:
Back