eBikes USA - Denver Area Ebike Shop Tour, SONDORS LX First Look

troehrkasse

EBR Webmaster
Region
USA
City
Fort Collins
Howdy folks, last week I toured an ebike-only shop in Denver called eBikes USA. I was intrigued by their operation, so I decided to film this video of it and share it here! Here's a summary:

• They carry direct to consumer brands like SONDORS and charge a markup that includes shipping, assembly, fitting, and a one year warranty honored by the shop. I think this is super cool, especially for first-time ebikers who lack the tools and expertise to set up and maintain their first bike. Working with a shop for warranty issues is much better than working with an online-only company and having to troubleshoot issues over email, wait on shipping parts, and trying to find a local shop that can make needed repairs.
  • They will work on any electric bike, regardless of brand or where it was purchased. The owner (Houshmand Moarefi) has been doing his own custom repairs and modifications for years and has some slick custom builds on display (photos below).
  • Impressive brand selection including Super73, the new mid-drive bikes from SONDORS (LX, Rockstar, Cruiser), premium mid-drives from Haibike, great value models from Aventon and Magnum, and many more... even Diamondback! Diamondback has been rebranding and is about to roll out a new line of ebikes, and Houshmand's shop will be one of the first to get them.
  • I've never heard of Tannus Armor before, but I'm already in love with it and going to get some for my bikes. Very cool puncture protection solution that also works as a run-flat if you somehow manage to get a flat with it equipped.
eBikes USA is allowing me access to their entire inventory for reviews, so I'm super stoked about that! First up I'll be covering the SONDORS LX and the Super73-RX. If there's any bikes shown or mentioned in the video that you want more information on, just reply and let me know - I'll be making regular trips down to the shop over the next few months.

This was not a paid video, I decided to film it because I think they're doing great stuff, and as a thank-you for Houshmand sharing access to so many ebikes for reviews.

Store address: 201 University Blvd., Ste. 123 Denver, CO 80206
Phone number: 720-746-9958
Store website: https://www.ebikesusa.com/
Brands carried: Addmotor, Aventon, Bagibike, Eunorau, Haibike, iZip, Magnum, Raleigh, Sondors, Stromer, Revi Bikes, Monday Motorbikes, Super73, and Diamondback.
Please note that due to COVID precautions, store visits are currently by appointment only!

image0.jpegimage001.jpgimage002.jpgIMG_0830.jpeg

Last edited:
Howdy folks, last week I toured an ebike-only shop in Denver called eBikes USA. I was intrigued by their operation, so I decided to film this video of it and share it here! Here's a summary:
  • They carry direct to consumer brands like SONDORS and charge a markup that includes shipping, assembly, fitting, and a one year warranty honored by the shop. I think this is super cool, especially for first-time ebikers who lack the tools and expertise to set up and maintain their first bike. Working with a shop for warranty issues is much better than working with an online-only company and having to troubleshoot issues over email, wait on shipping parts, and trying to find a local shop that can make needed repairs.
  • They will work on any electric bike, regardless of brand or where it was purchased. The owner (Houshmand Moarefi) has been doing his own custom repairs and modifications for years and has some slick custom builds on display (photos below).
  • Impressive brand selection including Super73, the new mid-drive bikes from SONDORS (LX, Rockstar, Cruiser), premium mid-drives from Haibike, great value models from Aventon and Magnum, and many more... even Diamondback! Diamondback has been rebranding and is about to roll out a new line of ebikes, and Houshmand's shop will be one of the first to get them.
  • I've never heard of Tannus Armor before, but I'm already in love with it and going to get some for my bikes. Very cool puncture protection solution that also works as a run-flat if you somehow manage to get a flat with it equipped.
eBikes USA is allowing me access to their entire inventory for reviews, so I'm super stoked about that! First up I'll be covering the SONDORS LX and the Super73-RX. If there's any bikes shown or mentioned in the video that you want more information on, just reply and let me know - I'll be making regular trips down to the shop over the next few months. This was not a paid video, I decided to film it because I think they're doing great stuff, and as a thank-you for Houshmand sharing access to so many ebikes for reviews.

Store address: 201 University Blvd., Ste. 123 Denver, CO 80206
Phone number: 720-746-9958
Store website: https://www.ebikesusa.com/
Brands carried: Addmotor, Aventon, Bagibike, Eunorau, Haibike, iZip, Magnum, Raleigh, Sondors, Stromer, Revi Bikes, Monday Motorbikes, Super73, and Diamondback.
Please note that due to COVID precautions, store visits are currently by appointment only!

View attachment 78896View attachment 78897View attachment 78898View attachment 78899
Thanks for posting a very informative video on the DTC bike brands now carried in a local store.

You may want to also post on the EBR home page for greater visibility to other members.

My favorite bike shown is the custom WWII Sonders... it looks perfect for Bikepacking. ;)

1613159721403.png

I will be converting a Surly Big Dummy this week with a small torque sensor mid-drive from pedaluma.com. It looks a lot like the cargo Sondors but the twin batteries weigh 3.05 lbs. each. Eric, the owner will normally only need one battery to climb Mt. Tam from his home in Ross. Or from his kite surfing weekend place in Stinson over to M.V. Saturday I will be converting a pair of bikes from Mill Valley, CA that have Nexus internal gears for straight chainlines. These bikes will not look electric. Maddogsenglishmen.com will maintain them in Mill Valley. That is a fun place with good people. They also rent eBikes in the SF area and in Carmel by the Sea. Thank you for the update, photos and video from Fort Collins.

Attachments

• ChainringCanvas.JPG
    ChainringCanvas.JPG
    305.2 KB · Views: 309
I first saw this owner when he tested the Sondors LX, he is a smart guy, all these direct to consumer Ebikes that are going like crazy need a place to be serviced.
If I had a bunch of money to start a business I would do exactly what he is doing, even if you lose the sale to direct online, the customer is going to come see you if he has issues later, where else is he going to go.
Sondors doesn't really have a dealer system but he made himself one, and he has the LX's right now you can buy today, yes you will pay a premium but you have the Ebike in hand and built and tuned ready to ride with support on the back end, that is worth something to some people.
Also of note Bolton Ebikes and Ebikes USA have collaborated in the past these guys know what they are doing in this industry.
Many Bike shops are analog and electric, his model is electric only, which is aimed at where all most bike riding will be in 10 years, he has a great start.

Last edited:
I love this store concept! And especially his transparency, how he tells you exactly what his premium is. Which sounds pretty reasonable unless you happen to like QCing your own bike. I'd love to see this kind of model proliferate, and then stores like his can guide people to which bikes are reliable, through experience at the shop. Part of the reason people buy online is simply because the bike they want happens to be online and not in store (eg if you wanted a Class 3 geared hub motor commuter).

I take it the Diamondback ebikes haven't been announced yet? I don't see any info online about them.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210213-095719_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20210213-095719_Brave.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 365
Last edited:
I love this store concept! And especially his transparency, how he tells you exactly what his premium is. Which sounds pretty reasonable unless you happen to like QCing your own bike. I'd love to see this kind of model proliferate, and then stores like his can guide people to which bikes are reliable, through experience at the shop. Part of the reason people buy online is simply because the bike they want happens to be online and not in store (eg if you wanted a Class 3 geared hub motor commuter).

I take it the Diamondback ebikes haven't been announced yet? I don't see any info online about them.
Diamondback BMX's were the dream bikes for 12 year old boys back in the day, only the rich kids had them where I was.
Mongoose was the other BMX coveted brand. $500 was a lot of money in 1980 for a BMX bike, seems like nothing now.
Interesting that they are launching an Ebike

Last edited:
That army-themed cargo bike is a winner in my eyes. Houshmand should consider a small run of them as he's stated there has been interest. The motorcycle manufacturer Royal Enfield released a few military themed/painted 500cc motorcycles based on their WW2 models that actually ran on various war theatres and they sold quite well. Anything military styled like that cargo bike will always have a market.

Such a nice looking, well stocked and accomodating ebike shop! The knowledge and enthusiasm for the owner can only bring great future success to his business.

And good on EBR that Mr Moarefi has allowed his other bike brands to be reviewed by the site. Since Sam at Fullerton retired and sold his shop and Chris Nolte went his own separate way, it's clear to me that the volume and the variety of ebike tests were really curtailed as a result. This could be a relationship that benefits the long term vitality of EBR as well as bringing more business in for Mr Moarefi, a win/win in my book!

I'd love to see stores like this proliferate and expand into full e-bike servicing, like installing conversion kits, non-OEM motors, and repacking batteries, to provide care designed around the user's needs and the store's technical craft, and not distant factories and brands.

I'm not sure that I'd order a bike from him given the extra $300 or so, especially as shipping practices and durability improves, but it's definitely a draw for getting regular service there.

Last edited:
I bought my Magnum Metro two years ago from the store Houshmand bought out and moved. In 5200 miles of 80% paved trails, 20% gravel I've had two flats - both sidewall on the original Schwalbe Big Bens - lost a small bolt holding rear fender to frame, needed new chain and the freewheel went out. I'm not mechanical and other than fixing flats all service has been done by eBikesUSA and I am very impressed at the quality of the shop he has built. It looks inviting and the Cherry Creek location is upscale, but the best part is the team he's assembling in both sales and service reps. "Above and beyond" customer service seems to be their operating principle.

Glad his store is just a ride away, wish him all the best.

You may want to also post on the EBR home page for greater visibility to other members.
It will get featured on our YouTube channel in the next few days! We only post full reviews on the homepage... for now ;)

My favorite bike shown is the custom WWII Sonders... it looks perfect for Bikepacking
It is even more awesome in person! Houshmand has done some long hauls with it, and every summer the store staff does a Mt. Evans ride together. I'm planning to accompany them this year and will try and make a video out of it!

Sondors doesn't really have a dealer system but he made himself one
Exactly, I love his initiative. Direct to consumer brands are notorious for being difficult to work with for shops. They are becoming more and more popular due to their pricing and advertising model... but like you said, most people are going to need a proper expert at some point when their DTC ebike needs repairs and maintenance. These guys are seeing the industry change and changing with it, respect!
Right, Diamondback gave us permission to discuss it in the video but I haven't seen any official announcements yet. I presume they're waiting until bikes are in shops to do so... but that's pure speculation on my part.
That army-themed cargo bike is a winner in my eyes. Houshmand should consider a small run of them as he's stated there has been interest.
I agree! The frame maker is in Denver as well, so they could make it happen. I'll pass it on next time I am down there :)

Since Sam at Fullerton retired and sold his shop and Chris Nolte went his own separate way, it's clear to me that the volume and the variety of ebike tests were really curtailed as a result.
COVID hasn't done us any favors either... but you are correct. Some manufacturers are beating down our doors for reviews, but even more of them are ambivalent and don't care one way or the other if EBR reviews their lineup. Working with eBikes USA is definitely a win/win, especially since it's only about an hour away from where I live.

Were these the Diamondback bikes meant to be released? lol

They look good, but overpriced considering they cost roughly the same as name brand Giant/Trek peer models (controlling for battery size), you don't get local support and the fenders look a little less polished, among other things. If ebikesUSA sells these at these prices, that would be better, but a name brand bike will still have better resale value.

Diamondback's parent company has been in shambles for 2 years. I bought a bike from them 2 years ago for ~$500. It was out of stock for 1-2 years, and then returned for $850 (Redux 2).

1614951136541.png

Last edited:
Were these the Diamondback bikes meant to be released? lol

They look good, but overpriced considering they cost roughly the same as name brand Giant/Trek peer models (controlling for battery size), you don't get local support and the fenders look a little less polished, among other things. If ebikesUSA sells these at these prices, that would be better, but a name brand bike will still have better resale value.

Diamondback's parent company has been in shambles for 2 years. I bought a bike from them 2 years ago for ~$500. It was out of stock for 1-2 years, and then returned for $850 (Redux 2).

View attachment 80656

The bike I purchased from them was junk. This is not a statistically accurate sample, just a datum point. But if you go out to eat and the food is bad, you don't go back.

Thanks for posting a very informative video on the DTC bike brands now carried in a local store.

My favorite bike shown is the custom WWII Sonders... it looks perfect for Bikepacking. ;)

View attachment 78901
I made this one this week. It is a mid-drive, no throttle, torque sensor. Twin batteries.

Attachments

• BigDummy08.JPG.jpeg
    BigDummy08.JPG.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 320
  • BigDummy07.JPG
    BigDummy07.JPG
    376.4 KB · Views: 318
The bike I purchased from them was junk. This is not a statistically accurate sample, just a datum point. But if you go out to eat and the food is bad, you don't go back.
From BikesDirect you mean? How much was it?

Their bikes $400+ can be okay, but below that...

From BikesDirect you mean? How much was it?

Their bikes $400+ can be okay, but below that...
Asher, It was a $650 29'er from BikesDirect. I gave the frame to a disabled guy who installed a BBSO2 with a throttle. On his build the BB will not fit the PAS wheel because the chainstays are too wide. It would cross-chain the chainring with a wide enough 128 BB. The components went to the Africa Foundation and some local homeless. The backyard build is a zip tie monster. The matte black paint is flaking off showing BikesDirect signature yellow primer.
2) Sounds like the start of a joke. A guy tried to take a Himiway up a hill. He brought it in today. Weights a ton. It is the Hee-Haw Commemorative Edition with a hub-drive and throttle. No joke. It is a dud. Has not worked for six-months.
3) A third guy wants to launch from a dead stop up hills at full power in high gear. Not someone I would lend a sports car to. He wonders what is wrong with his bike. Do you want to lend him your classic Ferrari for a weekend of fun in San Francisco?

Attachments

• Himiway01.JPG
    Himiway01.JPG
    268.9 KB · Views: 287
  • bells012101.JPG
    bells012101.JPG
    211.5 KB · Views: 290
Asher, It was a $650 29'er from BikesDirect. I gave the frame to a disabled guy who installed a BBSO2 with a throttle. On his build the BB will not fit the PAS wheel because the chainstays are too wide. It would cross-chain the chainring with a wide enough 128 BB. The components went to the Africa Foundation and some local homeless. The backyard build is a zip tie monster. The matte black paint is flaking off showing BikesDirect signature yellow primer.
2) Sounds like the start of a joke. A guy tried to take a Himiway up a hill. He brought it in today. Weights a ton. It is the Hee-Haw Commemorative Edition with a hub-drive and throttle. No joke. It is a dud. Has not worked for six-months.
3) A third guy wants to launch from a dead stop up hills at full power in high gear. Not someone I would lend a sports car to. He wonders what is wrong with his bike. Do you want to lend him your classic Ferrari for a weekend of fun in San Francisco?
So you're disappointed with a BD bike because it didn't accommodate your ebike conversion well?

I think we might start seeing more of these shops (at least I hope).

His prices seem reasonable, given that it's a "walk in and ride out" proposal, so you know exactly what you get, and there's definitely a growing market for servicing DTC e-bikes.

I think we might start seeing more of these shops (at least I hope).
I agree! DTC brands are growing at a crazy rate, and all those bikes are going to need service eventually. I think this could empower shop owners to operate a bit more independently too. I've heard a lot of stories about how some of the bigger traditional bike companies will sort of "strong arm" their dealers into operating a certain way, and the dealers get stuck since they rely on the big name manufacturers to make income.

Back