First e bike Step Thru Tall person

BET

A relative is choosing his first e bike. He found a new local e bike store with a variety of brands, including Aventon, Ride1 up, Velotric, etc. He wants to spend no more than $1500. Wants a cadence sensor, with gears, full size non fat tire e bike. His area is mostly flat with no appreciable hills. He lives near the Atlantic Ocean in a small town. He wants a step thru due to his age and physical abilities. He is leaning toward a Velotric Discovery 1. Seems to have everything he wants - decent battery, hydrolic brakes, 2 inch tires, Shimano shifter, throttle, etc. Looks similar to the Espin Flow with similar specs and less money. Manufacturer says it will fit tall, over 6 foot, riders. The local shop will assemble and let him test ride. What do you think ?

Wants a cadence sensor because does not want to put too much effort in peddling ( medical issues), wants a throttle, cheaper price.

There are bikes out there with a cadence or torque sensing setting that also have a throttle. My juiced Rip current did.
I sold the bike because I went with a narrower tire and needed a step through bike.
I nearly always used the torque sensing setting which worked very well. If I needed a little boost I would use a bit of throttle. The throttle would ad additional boast whether peddling or not. Full 1000 watts if I pushed it all the way.
Occasionally I would try the cadence setting but it felt so unnatural I would soon go back to the torque sensing setting.
IMO I would not buy an electric bike with only cadence power delivery. The on/off, on/off power delivery on cadence I did not like one bit. On the torque sensing setting power came on and off so smooth I had to look at display to make sure it was working when on level road.
Will it cost more, I suppose but believe me it is worth it.

There are bikes out there with a cadence or torque sensing setting that also have a throttle....
IMO I would not buy an electric bike with only cadence power delivery. The on/off, on/off power delivery on cadence I did not like one bit. On the torque sensing setting power came on and off so smooth I had to look at display to make sure it was working when on level road.
Will it cost more, I suppose but believe me it is worth it.
I second this. I have a torque-sensing hub-drive with thumb throttle. Easy to dial in as much or as little help as I want with gear selection and assist level (0-9 in my case). At 9/9, delivered mechanical power ramps up quickly from 0-100% of the max available as pedal force increases, with lots of power at even modest force. When I need more power at low pedal force, a few seconds of throttle usually suffices.

True, there's no ghost pedaling with 100% of max available power at near-zero pedal force, as you can do with typical cadence-sensing. If ghost pedaling is what your friend really wants, so be it. But the rest of the riding experience will suffer.

My family has 5 e bikes all cadence sensor less than $1500. We like them. My relative lives in another state, is tall and wants to try a step through e bike. He has a non e bike. He has issues with his feet. We does not want a bike that will require a lot of foot pressure to pedal but wants an e bike not a scooter

The key part in this is really if the bike shop will work on the bike and do warranty work after the purchase. It's to easy to get lost with the brands starting out as direct sell. If the shop will work on the bike, research the issues of the decided brand and go from there.

The key part in this is really if the bike shop will work on the bike and do warranty work after the purchase. It's to easy to get lost with the brands starting out as direct sell. If the shop will work on the bike, research the issues of the decided brand and go from there.
Thanks. In my area REI and mobile bike service will work on e bikes. Although I have not had much need for service. Just adjustments and checks.

The local bike shop is a big bonus in my opinion. Sounds like you'll don't live close so that may rule you out for simple maintenance. I would want the local bike shop to be an authorized SERVICING dealer for the brand, that way they are compensated by the brand for warranty work.

My family has 5 e bikes all cadence sensor less than $1500. We like them. My relative lives in another state, is tall and wants to try a step through e bike. He has a non e bike. He has issues with his feet. We does not want a bike that will require a lot of foot pressure to pedal but wants an e bike not a scooter
People have reasons for wanting the bikes they do 😉. Hope he gets a chance to test ride soon, and that he finds the right fit for his needs!

REI did some work on my Flow, and they were great! I paid them up front, then sent Espin a screen shot of my bill and they reimbursed me within 24 hours. They're (REI) a great option, because they'll work on most bikes.

Back