Ebikemotion x35 speed limiter "fix"

I'm pretty sure it's not even possible. I think the limitation of the motor ungoverned is just a bit over 20mph.
Why would you think that?

I wrote extensively about my experience with the SCC dongle here. I'm in the US so my normal cutoff is 20mph. In short, although the dongle communicates to the controller that my speed is 10.4 mph, the power diminishes significantly (down to 10-15%) between 20 and 21 mph. I can tell this both physically and via the eBikeMotion app on my phone. I believe there is a limit, programmed into the controller, based on motor RPM. But there is no doubt that if the controller allowed for more voltage to the motor, the motor could provide significant and useful additional power above 21mph.

Why would you think that?

I wrote extensively about my experience with the SCC dongle here. I'm in the US so my normal cutoff is 20mph. In short, although the dongle communicates to the controller that my speed is 10.4 mph, the power diminishes significantly (down to 10-15%) between 20 and 21 mph. I can tell this both physically and via the eBikeMotion app on my phone. I believe there is a limit, programmed into the controller, based on motor RPM. But there is no doubt that if the controller allowed for more voltage to the motor, the motor could provide significant and useful additional power above 21mph.
Because nobody has been able to do it. These have been out for a few years now, and all we've seen is devices that fake out the controller to think the bike is only going 10mph. And given that as you've experienced, the motor has no ability to assist beyond 21-22mph. Unless someone can show the motor is really capable to assist beyond that, we have to believe 21-22mph is the limitation of the motor's assist speed.

Edit: Your findings apparently showed 10-15% power output above 21mph, but this may be some kind of residual power situation that the motor is self generating at those speeds. Until somebody can actually get these motors to output any useable power output above 21-22mph, I still believe these small motors are just not capable of anything beyond what we already have experienced.

Last edited:
according to all the information that I took from Orbéa and Ebikemotion, I totally agree with you, there is no solution to accelerate this motor, since the US motor has a different winding which allows it to go to 20-21 MPH

Because nobody has been able to do it. These have been out for a few years now, and all we've seen is devices that fake out the controller to think the bike is only going 10mph. And given that as you've experienced, the motor has no ability to assist beyond 21-22mph. Unless someone can show the motor is really capable to assist beyond that, we have to believe 21-22mph is the limitation of the motor's assist speed.

Edit: Your findings apparently showed 10-15% power output above 21mph, but this may be some kind of residual power situation that the motor is self generating at those speeds. Until somebody can actually get these motors to output any useable power output above 21-22mph, I still believe these small motors are just not capable of anything beyond what we already have experienced.
Nobody has been able to do it because nobody has (fully) cracked the code.

The X35 system has a 36V motor, a 36V battery, and a control unit. The control unit varies the voltage to the motor; higher voltage = more power. The green/orange/red levels control the max voltage to the motor. The motor can only get as much voltage as the controller allows.

Without the dongle
The eBikeMotion app on my phone has a power readout, “POW”. POW isn’t actually power, it’s the percent of the total available power. So if you are using the standard green level, the max you will see on POW is around 30% (slightly more on takeoff). The app connects via Bluetooth to the X35 control unit in the bike.

In this factory configuration (US specs), when I exceed 20 mph while pedaling, the POW readout goes to zero. It doesn’t matter if I’m at 21 mph on the flats, or 35 mph down a hill, POW = zero. And I can feel it - it’s a drop-off. The controller detects the speed and cuts off the voltage to zero.

With the dongle
The dongle does tweak the signal so that the controller believes the speed to be a consistent 10.4 mph. However, the POW readout works the same as it does without the dongle. As I approach 21 mph, there is not an immediate cutout, but the POW value does diminish and above 21 mph, it varies between 10 and 15%. Even if I’m bombing down a hill at 40mph, it remains at 10-15%, as long as I'm pedaling. And it doesn’t matter what power level I select - it’s the same for green, orange and red. This means that the controller has reduced the power by 85-90%.

And even if you ignore the POW readout, you can feel it - the power drops off. If the bike and motor had reached some kind of ‘natural limit’ it would not drop off like that. If the motor was getting a full 36V it would continue to provide significant assistance well into the mid- and probably upper-20 mph range.

My belief is that there is some other safeguard that causes the controller to lower the assistance at higher speeds, and it’s probably motor RPM. And that a more effective dongle would have to also intercept this value and replace it with a fixed number.

Have done in the meantime +/- 200 km test rides with the dongle from Volabike. It does what it claims : in my case extended assistance till +/- 29,6 km/u. It is clearly noticeable. It is very difficult to have an objective "feeling" if the assistance is "as much" between 25 - 29 km/u as below because there are so many parameters which has an influence on this because physical resistance is automatically also higher on higher speeds. My subjective feeling is that there is not that much difference in assistance between de 3 different levels which seems that the extra assistance is more an "evenly" or "flat" one. With the Volabike dongle the speed on the Ebikemotion app stays on 15,6 km/h if you are in movement or not. I also have Bosch Cx gen4 e-bike as also a fazua e-bike and although these can be "fully" unlimited tuned, you also notice that the motor has to work much harder once passed a certain speed even tough those motors have much higher NM/torque. As already mentioned many times before : the detuning solution for an X35 is completely different compared to al the other brands where you can completely (or at least x2) detune the limit. Due to the construction of the X35, the only best thing to tune a X35 are the available dongles which give you an increase of 4 à 5 km/h. You can' t expect more (and in my honest opinion there will be no better solution in the future due to the way an x35 works. BUT I think that for only 99 € (Volabike is the cheapest I found on the market!) this is a very good solution and certainly worth the money : these + 4à 5 km/h extra assistance certainly make my rides more confortable. I will post in the future my experience with the range extender from Volabike
Good day. I have Bianchi Aria 2021 - 250 W Ebikemotion X35 + V.2 and am I considering buying a "Tuner for Ebikemotion X35 Model M" from Volabike: https://www.volabike.com/producto/volabike-tuner-for-ebikemotion-system/? lang = en
But there is information on the menu page: “This product has not been tested on the new X35 + system bikes. If you have a new bike with the X35 + system fitted, you have to wait before purchasing this product, until we can check the correct operation of this device on the new system. "
Can anyone advise whether it will work together on my motor - it works.
Thank you for your help

Attachments

• Bianchi Aria.jpg
    Bianchi Aria.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 276
Good day. I have Bianchi Aria 2021 - 250 W Ebikemotion X35 + V.2 and am I considering buying a "Tuner for Ebikemotion X35 Model M" from Volabike: https://www.volabike.com/producto/volabike-tuner-for-ebikemotion-system/? lang = en
But there is information on the menu page: “This product has not been tested on the new X35 + system bikes. If you have a new bike with the X35 + system fitted, you have to wait before purchasing this product, until we can check the correct operation of this device on the new system. "
Thank you for your help
The engine does not influence, the only thing that has changed is the anchoring of the spokes, the only change is that the battery is ant +, in theory the extender would have to work because it is connected by cable, the only thing that the ant + does is to be able to connect to devices that support ant +. I have Bianchi aria 2.020.

Thank you for your help
It surely work(ed) with X35+ on my Wilier Cento10 Hybrid, however not to my liking - assisted power above 25 km/h is (was) negligible, not worth to break legal rules - some users reported the same feeling on standard X35 systems, some users like it despite of mentioned above.

It surely work(ed) with X35+ on my Wilier Cento10 Hybrid, however not to my liking - assisted power above 25 km/h is (was) negligible, not worth to break legal rules - some users reported the same feeling on standard X35 systems, some users like it despite of mentioned above.
Thanks for the information, but one more question:
If I have a computer on the Pulsar ONE computer - smart display., There is also information and opinions that when installing the "Tuner", then the PulsarOne shows the speed and kilometer status (ODO) incorrectly. Don't have more information?

This was discussed earlier (resume): if the smart computer gets the speed (and other info) from the X35 system, in case of using dongle it will not be displayed correctly (dongle "overrides" actual speed with fix value ca. 15.4 km/h). In case you can use 3rd party app (like Garmin allows) and it exist for that computer, the speed can be displayed correctly with the app (getting the speed from speed sensor, not from X35 system, while still showing battery level from X35 system).

This was discussed earlier (resume): if the smart computer gets the speed (and other info) from the X35 system, in case of using dongle it will not be displayed correctly (dongle "overrides" actual speed with fix value ca. 15.4 km/h). In case you can use 3rd party app (like Garmin allows) and it exist for that computer, the speed can be displayed correctly with the app (getting the speed from speed sensor, not from X35 system, while still showing battery level from X35 system).
Thank you for your contributions. I won't buy a "tuner". Me personally this slight increase in speed does not pay off if complicating PulsarOne.
Maybe one day in the future, Yet but still the system suits me as it is. Thank you all - Czechia

Greetings cyclists from Poland, I'm translating via Google again so it's a bit complicated - thanks :)

@Veteran, @PeterG: Sorry for writing in English and off-topic but I feel I have to :)
Last summer, I and my brother were riding our e-bikes in Broumovsko and Krkonoše. We were shocked how many e-bikes were ridden in the Czech Republic. Awesome!

Can someone who has a Volabike speed tuner on their bike with a 25kph limit give a review?
Does the Volabike just raise the cutoff speed with the same available as without the Volabike?

What's the effective cutoff speed with the Volabike?

Any other feedback?

Thanks

Back