Ebikemotion x35 speed limiter "fix"

Hi, I bought a new type of external battery 252Wh from Volabike for my Wilier Triestina Hybrid bike which I have one year old. So far, three rides and maximum satisfaction. First ride 100.3 km, Ø 25.3 km / h, elevation gain 1335 m, Ø HR 115, bat. From 100% -42%. Second ride 85 km, Ø 26.8, elevation gain 652 m, Ø HR 115, bat. From 90% -52% Yesterday strong SE wind 94 km, Ø 28.5, elevation gain 821 m, Ø HR 123, bat. From 100% -51%! I drive to assistance level 2-3 still on, but most of the route without the engine in the terrain 500-250 m.n.m. But I have a speed dongle on my bike, a great accessory, the end of jerking the engine. The next ride will be in the mountains, 1050 m.n.m, so I'm curious how much I will go to drain the batteries to at least 15% and also include a small converter, I'm still driving at the big 50z. I'm 79 years old and I have an enlarged right ventricle, so I'm taking a cure to lower my heart rate, so I'm reporting HR. I read somewhere that if the batteries are only charged to 90%, their life will be extended.

That's correct with the battery life (Li-Ion, Li-Po), storage at 45%, charging (ideally) to 80%, discharge not more than 20%.

I received the VolaBike tuning dongle Monday and just rode with it installed the last 2 days on my 2020 Orbea Gain M20i. It took a while to arrive as VolaBike hadn't previously shipped to the US, and the first shipment with a European economy shipping company never arrived in the US from what tracking shows. They found a more reliable international shipping company, and the tuner was delivered by FedEx Monday. I have to say after 2 rides that the tuner does what I was hoping. Although the max speed only increased to approximately 22mph, the motor cutoff is much more seamless and smooth. It was a pretty harsh 100% drop-off stock at around 19.5mph. I did have to play around with my power assist % settings at the 3 power modes as the tuner seemed to have changed the build-in controller power algorithms a bit. The speed now shows 9.9 mph at all times on my Orbea display/control. I use a Garmin 1030 GPS, and what I found that works is starting the Garmin first and rolling a few feet so it reads the speed information from my front wheel speed sensor and GPS in the 1030, then the indicated speed on my Garmin 1030 is accurate while the Orbea Display shows the constant 9.9mph. If I turn the bike's assist on first, then the Garmin 1030 apparently uses the X35 speed sensor in the hub which results in the Garmin reading the constant 9.9mph. All in all I'm pleased with the tuner's performance, and definitely recommend it and VolaBike. There are now a few of these tuners on the market, and the pricing on this VolaBike model is the most reasonable.

I have one Volabike dongle for sale, if somebody is interested, delivery to EU. :)

Volabike dongle works for sure, Wilier Cento10 Hybrid is claimed X35+and works with Volabike dongle. I have one spare dongle for sale, if there is an interest.

Volabike dongle works for sure, Wilier Cento10 Hybrid is claimed X35+and works with Volabike dongle. I have one spare dongle for sale, if there is an interest.
Volabike rep emailed me back to say they haven't tested their X35 dongle on a + so it may just be luck rather than design. What you looking for for your dongle Peter? Send me a PM as I may be interested.

For those interested, due to an unforseen purchase :) of a Creo SL, i am selling an Ebikemotion X35 range extender, hardly used. Guess only used it 2-3 times. Will only ship to EU countries due to difficulties to ship batteries overseas. PM for interest.

Last edited:
For those interested, due to an unforseen purchase :) of a Creo SL, i am selling an Ebikemotion X35 range extender, hardly used. Guess only used it 2-3 times. Will only ship to EU countries due to difficulties to ship batteries overseas. PM for interest.
Of you would be interested in a Levociraptor chip especially for your Creo SL, a have a brand new for sale

This is not any different than the others that have been discussed here. (Other than the size being rather fat and harder to hide)) All these devices do is intercept the speed signal that the motor sends to the controller and insert a fixed value of 15.9 kph .(9.9 mph) Nothing more technical than that.

Last edited:
the mahle is a speed-based system measured from lockring/hub rotation, right? is the assistance binary (on/off) at the 3 different modes, or is it on a speed curve?

and if on a curve, one assumes the 10mph 'faux speed' is the point of maximum assistance (within a mode)? i.e. why not replace it with 5mph, or 19mph (or whatever the programmed limit is)?

is my thinking correct:
green - assistant ramps up, then basically shuts off at 20mph due to programmed limit
gray - assistant ramps up, continues past 20mph limit, but ramps down due to natural limitation of motor (e.g. back emf)
orange - assistant ramps up, then drops at 20mph due to the reduced assistance (imitating 5mph), until it it reaches natural limitation of motor

1625829283667.png

the mahle is a speed-based system measured from lockring/hub rotation, right? is the assistance binary (on/off) at the 3 different modes, or is it on a speed curve?

and if on a curve, one assumes the 10mph 'faux speed' is the point of maximum assistance (within a mode)? i.e. why not replace it with 5mph, or 19mph (or whatever the programmed limit is)?

is my thinking correct:
green - assistant ramps up, then basically shuts off at 20mph due to programmed limit
gray - assistant ramps up, continues past 20mph limit, but ramps down due to natural limitation of motor (e.g. back emf)
orange - assistant ramps up, then drops at 20mph due to the reduced assistance (imitating 5mph), until it it reaches natural limitation of motor

View attachment 92714
the speed is cut automatically at 24.9 km / h regardless of the level of assistance, the only thing that can be adjusted via the application is the maximum power of the assistance, the lower it is, the more difficult it is to reach 24 , 9 km / h especially on levels 2 and 3

the speed is cut automatically at 24.9 km / h regardless of the level of assistance, the only thing that can be adjusted via the application is the maximum power of the assistance, the lower it is, the more difficult it is to reach 24 , 9 km / h especially on levels 2 and 3
assuming those parameters, why would the intercepting device not feed the false speed as 24.8kmh than something else

assuming those parameters, why would the intercepting device not feed the false speed as 24.8kmh than something else
Good question. My stock USA model was like hitting a wall right at 19.5mph. With the tuner, it's really hard to say where the cutoff is since the drop off is so seamless.

Praised seamless drop off and long cutoff means technically nothing but a missing torque, i.e. no assisted power (or barely noticeable), therefore I found dongle totally useless after testing it (with the risk of breaking road traffic rules for barely noticeable assistance, if any). If there should be any power assist over factory speed limit, the cutoff MUST BE be clearly noticeable, IMO.

Early days, but significantly more speed does seem to be possible from the X35 motor (40+kmh). The solution is quite technical.

Currently working on a prototype that could be possible to productionize. Will not be answering any questions until closer to feasibility.
any update status in the meantime?

Back